What would the Bills have to do against the Jets....

GunnerBill

...to make you feel better about their long term prospects this season?

Most people seem to think the Bills will open with a win on Sunday but what would they have to do to make you think "man that was impressive even against a bad team?"

Would scoring 40 do it?

Holding the Jets to a doughnut?

Something else?

Or are you in the camp that says no win on Sunday tells you anything and the season starts for real in Carolina week 2?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Buffalo scoring 5 offensive TDs on that Solid Jets defensive unit is unlikey but would be impressive. We havent really seen Dennison ever call a game before, the WRs havent had much time with Tyrod in preseason since the injury, anquan boldin, and the 1st 4 throws to sammy. i think I've only counted maybe 2 or 3 targets to ZJ and Holmes from Tyrod each during game time.

I don't think Dennison is so stubborn that he would keep tyrod in the pocket the whole game I think we will see a lot of moving Pockets bootlegs and plays that we're never called in preseason, as it was reported they kept tie rod in the pocket to help him focus on what he needed to get better at, now that the season started they will pick plays and run a game plan within the scheme that's works to his strengths.

I hope the chemistry is there Sunday and it picks up quick with Matthews. I see Clay getting alot of targets and being the focus of more pass gameplans this year he seems to have the most chem with Tyrod out of the rest now with Sammy n Woods n Goodwin gone.

This is a good tune up game for the defense who snould be able to inflict their will on a soft jets oline and passing game that hasnt found its stride yet. I wont be impressed by the defense if they let them score more than 10 points, that offense isnt good and McCown is decent but cant save that tire fire. What im looking at the defense for is shutting down the run, third down stops, and creating turnovers as it looked like theyve been coached to ballhawk and force fumbles more this season

Edited by Marty McFly

There is nothing they could do. A big win against the Jets proves almost nothing, given the state of their franchise.

I would not be surprised if the Jets win or at least cover the spread though. Nothing is certain at this point in the year, and McCown has been around and could have a great game and/or stretch of games like Fitz did 2 years ago.

I dont understand how beating the Jets similar to how we beat say the 49ers last season does nothing for people. If we have a hard time and or lose the Bills will surely get bashed. How is the opposite not true if we destroy the Jets?

For me they have to play the Jets like they played the 49ers. Totally have the game in hand the whole way. It may not "proove" anything, but it shows the Bills aren't terrible to me.

I find it amazing that fans appear to count a win against the Jets as a forgone conclusion. The Jets swept the Bills last season and the Bills have clearly lost talent from last season. Also, the Bills are a team with two winning seasons in the last 17 years (both 9-7) so they don't exactly have a history and culture of winning.

I expect a very difficult game and a win over the Jets would be a good win. If the offense looks competent against a strong defense then that would be even more encouraging.

I dont understand how beating the Jets similar to how we beat say the 49ers last season does nothing for people. If we have a hard time and or lose the Bills will surely get bashed. How is the opposite not true if we destroy the Jets?

For me they have to play the Jets like they played the 49ers. Totally have the game in hand the whole way. It may not "proove" anything, but it shows the Bills aren't terrible to me.

So when we beat the 49ers last year you thought we were good?

Most people seem to think the Bills will open with a win on Sunday but what would they have to do to make you think "man that was impressive even against a bad team?"

Would scoring 40 do it?

Something else?

Or are you in the camp that says no win on Sunday tells you anything and the season starts for real in Carolina week 2?

I'll be impressed if the Bills dominate the Jets handily.

* Move the ball against them at will on the ground and through the air.

* Stop the Jet's offense by keeping them out of the red zone

* Create turnovers.

* Beat the Jets by a minimum of 10 points with the game never being in question after the first quarter

Other things that would impress me:

* Make the Jet's QB a scared man constantly running for his life and throwing the ball early under duress

* Holding the Jets to less than 100 yards rushing combined

* Holding the Jets to less than 200 yards passing combined

* Forcing lots of 3 and outs - back to back

* 5 or more sacks

* Multiple coverage sacks because the QB couldn't find an open receiver (really doubt this will happen)

* 2 or more interceptions by the Bills' secondary

* Seeing Tyrod complete a number of timing passes to any receivers where the receivers catch the ball in stride and run with it.

* Seeing Shady be extremely productive in the screen game

* Seeing any running back other than Shady rush for over a 5 YPC average on more than 5 runs.

I suppose I could go on and on.

Would scoring 40 do it?

Something else?

This game is just a no-win situation as far as a measuring stick. If the Bills lose it will be viewed as a complete lost season if they win, no matter how convincingly the story line witl be about how bad the Jets are. This isn't the type of game to use to gauge the team's status or progress.

Would scoring 40 do it?

Something else?

Don't underestimate the Jets defense. Their offense may lack a few explosive players, but their defense should be pretty decent this year.

I'd like to see the Bills play relentlessly along the line of scrimmage, and show that sense of urgency that McDermott has been preaching about. I want to see the secondary gain some confidence against a weaker passing attack, which will hopefully carry over into the season. And lastly, I'd like to see a lot of play action roll outs with TT taking full advantage of the option to either run or pass.

All together, I want to see them win regardless of play, but hopefully without sloppy penalties.

Super stoked!

GO BILLS!!!

fortunately a win is a team goal and not a disgruntled fans goal.

win!

Cool call out. Nice try though.

And No beating the tanking Jets does not change my outlook on the Season like what was asked.

If we beat the Jets I am not going to say wow this is a 10 win playoff team. See how that works. thanks for playing

*That we cut down on the penalties

*That we are able to run the ball with effectiveness

*That Tyrod is able to get the ball out efficiently

*That Zay and Clay are able to get a decent bit of targets

*That the front four can get some pass pressure

*That the run defense continues to be stout

*That our DB's are constantly in position.

The Jets have one of the worst NFL rosters I've seen in a long time.

So walking away with a win wouldn't be that impressive to me, regardless of the score.

In fact, I think it will take 4-5 games (at the minimum) before we can start making real assumptions about the 2017 Bills.

At that point, we should start getting an idea what they are good at, what they are bad at, and what is going to be inconsistent.

With that said, there are a few things that could give me some early season hope.

1. First would be Rick Dennison's offensive structure and how Tyrod Taylor runs it. Our first looks in the preseason saw Dennison forcing Taylor into being an under-center/pocket passer, which is a recipe for disaster. He's too short, doesn't make quick decisions and plays his worst when kept between the tackles. If we try doing this all season, I don't think it will be long before fans start screaming for Nate Peterman. If Dennison adjusts to something more what Anthony Lynn ran, then I'll be optimistic we can score some points this season.
  2. Let's see how the running game operates. I'm a little concerned about the switch to zone blocking. I'm a little concerned about Cordy Glenn's foot. I'm a little concerned about the right side of the line not getting upgraded. I'm a little concerned how the lack of speed at receiver will draw safeties closer to the line of scrimmage. I'm a little concerned about the lack of depth behind Shady. I'm a little concerned that Taylor won't be contributing as much to the ground game. Put it all together, I'm skeptical this group is going to repeat as the NFL's top rushing unit.
  3. I want to see how the linebackers move. How do they handle covering tight ends and running backs? How do they tackle from sideline to sideline? I'm excited about our defensive line getting back to its strength. But I think linebackers are the glaring weakness of our defense, and the main reason we won't return to being a Top 10 unit.
  4. I want to see how the new secondary comes together. We are looking at all new faces, so I really don't know what to expect here.

Cool call out. Nice try though.

And No beating the tanking Jets does not change my outlook on the Season like what was asked.

If we beat the Jets I am not going to say wow this is a 10 win playoff team. See how that works. thanks for playing

twist it any way you want that would/will fit your agenda. I never said I would be all "WOW" or claim 10 wins and playoffs.

I just simply said, win.

*That we cut down on the penalties

*That we are able to run the ball with effectiveness

*That Tyrod is able to get the ball out efficiently

*That Zay and Clay are able to get a decent bit of targets

*That the front four can get some pass pressure

*That the run defense continues to be stout

*That our DB's are constantly in position.

Nice List - Go Bills!!!!!

I think we have to show we can get the ball downfield through the air, regardless of how we do it. Just so Carolina and other teams in subsequent weeks don't put eight and nine in the box most plays and take away a good chunk of our run game. The Jets still have a pretty good defense.

I expect a lot of rollouts, and maybe a few plays with a moving pocket, get Tyrod outside, then have him stop and throw 30-40 yards downfield.

I think we have to show we can get the ball downfield through the air, regardless of how we do it. Just so Carolina and other teams in subsequent weeks don't put eight and nine in the box most plays and take away a good chunk of our run game. The Jets still have a pretty good defense.

I expect a lot of rollouts, and maybe a few plays with a moving pocket, get Tyrod outside, then have him stop and throw 30-40 yards downfield.

Ahh,yes,to bring balance to the Force.

Like your idea, much I do.

There is nothing they could do. A big win against the Jets proves almost nothing, given the state of their franchise.

I would not be surprised if the Jets win or at least cover the spread though. Nothing is certain at this point in the year, and McCown has been around and could have a great game and/or stretch of games like Fitz did 2 years ago.

If the game is close, that is very telling.

twist it any way you want that would/will fit your agenda. I never said I would be all "WOW" or claim 10 wins and playoffs.

I just simply said, win.

So seeing you seem to think i have an agenda. How about you tell me what it is?

You're getting it now. We suck no matter what. If we went 19-0 people would be pissed we were picking 32nd in the draft. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Would scoring 40 do it?

Something else?

There isn't anything, really. A bad team can be fired up and play well and you barely scrape by, or you can trounce them and it really means nothing.

It will be a positive if the running game works well, if our OL gives TT time to throw, if TT makes throws over the middle, and if we play a clean game with minimal penalties, but none of those things will mean we are able to do them against good teams.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan