What would the Bills have to do against the Jets....

GunnerBill

We were terrible. Not sure how beating a bad team changed that. Unless you are happy with 7-9?

Well had the EJ experiment not happened the last game I think we would have beat the Jets and been 8-8. No that's not terrible. If you want to see terrible look to the Browns and 49ers last year.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well had the EJ experiment not happened the last game I think we would have beat the Jets and been 8-8. No that's not terrible. If you want to see terrible look to the Browns and 49ers last year.

The Pegulas disagree. Last year's team was so terrible that the entire coaching staff and front office was fired.

The Pegulas disagree. Last year's team was so terrible that the entire coaching staff and front office was fired.

You don't have to be terrible to get fired. You just have to be a clown.

If 8 wins is terrible then I guess 13 wins is just ok. AFC champ game is average and only a superbowl is good.

They weren't terrible. The offense as a whole was average and the defense was below avg. I don't think you know what terrible means.

Edited by Scott7975

There's nothing the Bills can do against the Jests that will make me "feel better" about this team's chances about accomplishing anything but possibly finishing with more wins than the Jets.

After watching the offense in preseason, I'm not sure that the Bills will be competitive with any of their opponents except the Jests, Saints or Colts.

Last years team would have made the WC had the Defense/ST played better. The defense needs to get the ball back more this season.

I'll be impressed if the Bills dominate the Jets handily.

* Move the ball against them at will on the ground and through the air.

* Stop the Jet's offense by keeping them out of the red zone

* Create turnovers.

* Beat the Jets by a minimum of 10 points with the game never being in question after the first quarter

Other things that would impress me:

* Make the Jet's QB a scared man constantly running for his life and throwing the ball early under duress

* Holding the Jets to less than 100 yards rushing combined

* Holding the Jets to less than 200 yards passing combined

* Forcing lots of 3 and outs - back to back

* 5 or more sacks

* Multiple coverage sacks because the QB couldn't find an open receiver (really doubt this will happen)

* 2 or more interceptions by the Bills' secondary

* Seeing Tyrod complete a number of timing passes to any receivers where the receivers catch the ball in stride and run with it.

* Seeing Shady be extremely productive in the screen game

* Seeing any running back other than Shady rush for over a 5 YPC average on more than 5 runs.

I suppose I could go on and on.

This is pretty much it for me. I have few doubts that the defense should absolutely keep the Jets at bay. That Jets offense looks really, really bad.

For me, it's what happens when we have the ball. What I want to see, what I really want to see, is the Bills have long, sustained drives against that defense.

The Jets have done an excellent job limiting Shady over the past few years, even if the man has had some impressive plays. That likely means that in order to manage the clock, and keep things running, the Bills will have to do well in the short and medium passing game. If we can show improvement there, against the Jets D, I think we might have something.

The Bills could go 14-2 and some fans would still be disgruntled that Tyrod is still QB & we let Sammy and J Williams go.

Yeah, right, because we've seen how Bills fans complain every time the Bills post 14 wins in a season ... oh, wait, they've never had a 14 win season! :doh: In fact, they haven't even had a double digit win season in this century! :doh: :doh:

After the last few seasons (and even going back to the Fitz / Edwards false hope seasons), I'll feel comfortable about the Bills odds of having a good season when they get win number 12.

Well, before TC, I said that I'd consider 10 wins even if they didn't make the playoffs to be a successful season, so I'd be comfortable with 10 myself.

You don't have to be terrible to get fired. You just have to be a clown.

If 8 wins is terrible then I guess 13 wins is just ok. AFC champ game is average and only a superbowl is good.

They weren't terrible. The offense as a whole was average and the defense was below avg. I don't think you know what terrible means.

I think he'll probably find out this season.

A Bills win will prove very little to me, but a Bills loss will be a resounding statement and a sign to trade off any assets early. By all prognostications, the Jets may be historically bad this season. If we lose it's a sign that the culture hasn't changed as much as we'd like to think it has and we most likely found a way to beat ourselves, as on our paper, our roster is significantly better than theirs. If that's what we're in for this year - lets sell off now and go "all-in" for the next two drafts... at least that's a direction.

It's hard to believe that Week 1 is a "must win" situation for the Bills.

What I would like to see;

The Bills start out fast, score on the first/second drive. Begin the game on top and STAY there.

Score at the end of long multiple play drives. Just because we score on a 99 yard play because the Jets blew coverage doesn't mean we're good, it means the Jets are bad. If we score on the back end of a long sustained drives it bodes well for our offense.

Penalties kept to a minimum, and the penalties we DO get doesn't kill our drive.

If we happen to jump out to a 14/17 point lead I want to see the team keep the petal to the metal and NOT go into a shell to "protect" their lead.

A high percentage of 3rd down conversions, and perfect for 4th down conversions.

A bit more esoteric ... I want to see in their body language that they KNOW they will win this game, they KNOW they will dominate this game, they KNOW the Jets can't keep up. Basically I want to see the Bills impose their will on the Jets, I want to see the Jets give up hope by the end of the first quarter.

Bottom line is that if they do all of those things against the Jets it will not convince me that the Bills will be a playoff team, but it Will convince me the team is on its way to changing its culture. I really think that this season (and maybe next) the Bills are going to be playing quite a few teams who's talent are heads and shoulders above ours, but I want them to dominate the teams we are better than (Jets), and win the majority of games against teams that are equal in talent (dolphins), and be competitive and fight to the bitter end with teams that are better than us (Pats*)

Even if they put up big numbers it would just be like the 49ers game last year where it's like ok we beat a bad team but we are still a bad team ourselves so who cares

The diference is that the Jets actually have a very good D.

I will feel much better if we keep them from scoring more than 14 points and we score more than 24 (Offence that is). I want to see at least 24 poinst earned with the O, even if it is a short field.