Buffalo Rumblings breakdown of Peterman against Baltimore

HappyDays

How is it that this line-up, or the same with Miller at RG, is abundantly clearly better to the vast majority of fans, yet the coaching staff still needs time?

If there is any confirmation that the whole Ducasse experiment is due to Castillo's loyalty, then that coach needs to go.

The coaches know who the best players are there. Preseason is for letting guys play who aren't starters yet to see how they perform under live fire.

Ducasse isn't starting anywhere during regular season. If he does, McDermott will be highly ridiculed.

That really is the thing regarding Peterman

He looks pretty good right now...and he is only going to get better .

What I am impressed with is his wheels...his scrambling ability is very underrated

There's nothing certain about this. We've seen too many preseason QBs have success with it not translating into the regular season performance with any kind of consistency.

What is the problem? They're evaluating the quarterback, not the offense. There's nothing unreasonable about counting drops as completions for that purpose.

Because unless you are going to do that for every single QB the numbers you obtain have no reference point. If you compare his massaged numbers to everybody else's real numbers that tells you nothing.

People would be wise to pump the brakes with Peterman. Not only is it pre-season, but how many points has he led the offense to?

The kid may look more comfortable than Taylor does but that really doesn't mean squat at this point. Don't let very pedestrian performances be the reason you point and yell he should be the starter.

Because unless you are going to do that for every single QB the numbers you obtain have no reference point. If you compare his massaged numbers to everybody else's real numbers that tells you nothing.

They aren't trying to compare him to other rookie QBs. No reference point is needed. Take the stats for what they're worth. I don't even care about the stats, I posted this article more for the gifs and analysis. Cover1 is working through this game on his twitter account right now:

https://mobile.twitter.com/cover_1_?lang=en

He's seeing the same things the BR article did.

People would be wise to pump the brakes with Peterman. Not only is it pre-season, but how many points has he led the offense to?

The kid may look more comfortable than Taylor does but that really doesn't mean squat at this point. Don't let very pedestrian performances be the reason you point and yell he should be the starter.

Yeah I agree with all of this. I'm interested in following Peterman's progress and development but he isn't ready to start yet. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he ends up starting around mid-season though. Edited by HappyDays

I've seen this before. It may not turn out the same way but it reminds me an awful lot of Trent Edwards rookie pre-season.....only Edwards looked better.

He does remind me of Trent Edwards before Arizona knocked him into a new identity (Capt. Checkdown). Let's hope he stays healthy long enough to develop beyond that, but let's not anoint him the next Jim Kelly yet. He's still a rookie who hasn't faced playoff level defenses yet

With the o-line as it stands, few quarterbacks could take this team to the playoffs. Much less a rookie.

Truth.

But the interesting thing is that it's basically the same OL as last season with the exception of Glenn, and he missed some time, so the problem should be solvable with competent coaching.

Truth.

But the interesting thing is that it's basically the same OL as last season with the exception of Glenn, and he missed some time, so the problem should be solvable with competent coaching.

I can only assume they're not comfortable with Castillo's zone blocking scheme.

Oh and I watched Peterman's drives and he did not lock onto his primary receiver on the vast majority of his throws. And he had 5 dropped passes. The batted passes are a concern and I'm not sure how much of an issue going forward they'll be, but perhaps getting rid of short passes meant for players just behind the DL is the best solution.

How is it that this line-up, or the same with Miller at RG, is abundantly clearly better to the vast majority of fans, yet the coaching staff still needs time?

If there is any confirmation that the whole Ducasse experiment is due to Castillo's loyalty, then that coach needs to go.

You would have a better chance to get a starting lineup via 900 number when Brandon was GM.

"Think of Trent Edwards pre-concussion.."

What an amazing endorsement.

When will the pre/post-concussion Trent Edwards fallacy stop? The game immidiately following his concussion, after the bye, was one of his best as a Bill. It was better than any game he had in the season up to that point.

Teams figured out Trent Edwards, the more he got on tape, it had nothing to do with his concussion. He couldn't stretch the field, and constantly checked down, even before the concussion. Teams just learned to take away the short stuff.

If that's Nate Peterman, as the writer is implying, I have no desire to see any more of him.

Amen.

With the o-line as it stands, few quarterbacks could take this team to the playoffs. Much less a rookie.

And yet we'll likely have the exact same O-line against the Jets as we had last year. A line that got us the rushing title and 25 ppg average despite a crappy defense and kicking game putting them in tough field position all season.

Glenn seems to think he's going to play. Miller is still a good starting guard. Mills is apparently not going to be replaced by Groy or Dawkins so he's going to start as well, which is all the more reason to play the slippery Tyrod and keep that Jets Dline guessing

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/8/28/16211916/nathan-peterman-rookie-quarterback-buffalo-bills-video-analysis-gif

Some of the throws he made were really really good. The near-interception was obviously the worst one but I bet he doesn't make that mistake again. I think Peterman is looking better every week.

Let's not forget that he didn't really practice with the ones that much , but what was nice to see is him hitting Clay few times ,

They aren't trying to compare him to other rookie QBs. No reference point is needed. Take the stats for what they're worth. I don't even care about the stats, I posted this article more for the gifs and analysis. Cover1 is working through this game on his twitter account right now:

My point is the stats are useless WITHOUT a reference point. What are you comparing them to in order to say they're good, bad, or average?

If I'm honest, the only reason Peterman looks better than say, CARDALE is because of the quality reps he's getting... Peterman can play, but he won't return a team to prominence... He doesn't want to score badly enough... That's the difference between him and your Prescotts, and Wilsons.... Right now, Deuce is just happy making completions, he's FAR from being able to consistently put together scoring drives.

I don't necessarily agree with counting tips as completions, I understand considering drops though as PS is all about individual evaluation and those aren't on Nate. Hopefully he continues to grow and turns into a good value for where we picked him.

There's a topic about that very thing! https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/195692-poll-if-tt-cant-play-vs-jets-and-peterman-looks-good/

Do we also cut Hotrod slack in the Eagles game for drops by Clay and Holmes and credit for the nice 13 yard pass in traffic to Zay that was nullified by the Boldin false start?

If I'm honest, the only reason Peterman looks better than say, CARDALE is because of the quality reps he's getting... Peterman can play, but he won't return a team to prominence... He doesn't want to score badly enough... That's the difference between him and your Prescotts, and Wilsons.... Right now, Deuce is just happy making completions, he's FAR from being able to consistently put together scoring drives.

I noticed this too. Doesn't get it in very often even though he gets close sometimes. Hopefully he doesn't turn into a great between the 20s QB.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/8/28/16211916/nathan-peterman-rookie-quarterback-buffalo-bills-video-analysis-gif

Some of the throws he made were really really good. The near-interception was obviously the worst one but I bet he doesn't make that mistake again. I think Peterman is looking better every week.

Plus he has a weak arm like Brady and Montana.

before tyrod got hurt in the game he also had a pass batted at the line of scrimmage

Yes but that counts as a pick six when adjusting for Peterman. Plus Baltimore went for two and converted so it cost us8.

He does remind me of Trent Edwards before Arizona knocked him into a new identity (Capt. Checkdown). Let's hope he stays healthy long enough to develop beyond that, but let's not anoint him the next Jim Kelly yet. He's still a rookie who hasn't faced playoff level defenses yet

Glove wearing Mary sucked before during and after the Arizonagame.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Not that I think it would happen, but... say Tyrod is not ready for the beginning of the season and Peterman gets the nod week 1. He does well, and wins. Maybe Tyrod needs another week, and Peterman wins week 2. How many consecutive wins would Peterman need before he passes Tyrod as the starter, in the coach's eyes, and remains the starter even after the original #1 returns, ala Romo-Prescott?

Not saying Peterman has those skills, though.

But it sure would be great if Peterman really was The Guy, and we could spend two 1sts, two 2nds, and possibly 3 3rds on building pieces around him, instead of using it as trade-up ammo to get The Guy.

Idk. That would mean credit for Whaley and I don't see that happening. It would be ideal and would set the franchise up for massive success (potentially.)

I just think that it's a bit silly.

Peterman may, in fact, end up being a better fit.

I don't think he's a better option right now though.

I agree with you that TT is a better option than Peterman is right now. But I don't think it is outlandish to believe that before the season is concluded the rookie qb is going to be starting. Is Peterman the long-term answer? I doubt it. What Peterman offers the offense is an ability to quickly get rid of the ball and get in a passing rhythm that TT can't do because of his inability to quickly make reads.

I agree with you that TT is a better option than Peterman is right now. But I don't think it is outlandish to believe that before the season is concluded the rookie qb is going to be starting. Is Peterman the long-term answer? I doubt it. What Peterman offers the offense is an ability to quickly get rid of the ball and get in a passing rhythm that TT can't do because of his inability to quickly make reads.

I don't disagree with any of that.

The calls of illegal formation were b.s. You can scroll through the clips in the original post and see that they use the same formation in several calls. The first time it was called negated a first down, and the Baltimore announcer speculated that the call may have been offsides because the defense was lined up in the neutral zone.

Here's a picture of one of the formation on the first call. If you can tell me which lineman is in an illegal stance let me know. Both tackles are at exactly the same distance from the guard next to them. The Baltimore announcers initially thought they were going to be hit with lining up in the neutral zone, as you can see the nose tackle's head is across the line of scrimmage.

My point is, I think those were totally bogus calls an unnecessary. They cost the team momentum, first downs, and opportunity.

While we're at it, there was an earlier call of illegal motion on #62 right after Clay pulled up short on a reception at the Baltimore 40, leaving us with 3rd and 1. They called #62 for motion. I replayed that 6 times, and he didn't move. That was a phantom call that cost us opportunity. These refs are overofficious jerks.

The issue with all of those penalties was the guard. Even when Baltimore got called for the penalty, you could see the guard was too far behind the center's hip. There must be an overlap with the inner lineman. On all those plays, the guard was back off the center's hip.

I don't disagree with any of that.

Why not just say that you agree instead of don't disagree? It's as if you are reluctant to publicly agree because you don't want to be associated with someone who is so disreputable? :bag:

Why not just say that you agree instead of don't disagree? It's as if you are reluctant to publicly agree because you don't want to be associated with someone who is so disreputable? :bag:

If you're going to answer your own question then don't bother asking ;)

:beer:

I'm encouraged by what I see from Peterman (or hear at least since I can't get preseason games), but every QB's completion percentage is adversely affected by drops virtually every game.

Maybe. But my goal is to see if he's getting the ball to his receivers/making the correct reads.

There is so much wrong in here, I won't even bother trying.

Edited by Doc

He's also cheap as hell. Draft someone in the 1st next year, and roll with peterman and the dead cap from tyrod.