Miller vs. Ducasse

Big C

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love how people think you can just move guards out to play tackle and take into no consideration arm length, footwork, or ability to play the position...they are two totally different positions...

That's the problem with people playing Madden...they think they can just move anyone anywhere in real life and they'll be fine...reality is a long long way from Madden

This is wrong. Versatility is a big trait to look for in olinemen. RT is not that as specialized as LT because you're not on the QBs blind side and won't be facing edge rushers who run a 4.4.

Jason Peters moved from TE to LT and is one of the best ever at his position. Cowboys line moved this year. Consistenancy is big, have the same 5 starters for 16 games is huge. The backfield picks up on the nuances. But that's out the window because coaches' butt boys get the start instead of what's going to win the games.

It's a game of blocking and tackling, that's it. Put your most violent goons on the field and you win. Everything else is on the coach.

This is wrong. Versatility is a big trait to look for in olinemen. RT is not that as specialized as LT because you're not on the QBs blind side and won't be facing edge rushers who run a 4.4.

Jason Peters moved from TE to LT and is one of the best ever at his position. Cowboys line moved this year. Consistenancy is big, have the same 5 starters for 16 games is huge. The backfield picks up on the nuances. But that's out the window because coaches' butt boys get the start instead of what's going to win the games.

It's a game of blocking and tackling, that's it. Put your most violent goons on the field and you win. Everything else is on the coach.

There's almost no difference between LT and RT anymore with regard to what types of defenders a guy faces. Defenses will line up their best pass rusher over whichever tackle they believe they can overwhelm; that's why players like Markus Golden, Danielle Hunter, Cliff Avril, and Cameron Wake (all of whom finished in the top 6 in sacks last year) line up on the left side of their team's DL.

Regardless, there are definitely traits that favor certain positions over others. Some guys have a lower center of gravity, react quicker, and locate better moving toward the center of the OL than moving away from it, and so those guys are much better-suited to play guard. Other guys have better footwork, longer arms, and require space to locate and lock onto defenders, and thus are better-suited to play tackle.

There's almost no difference between LT and RT anymore with regard to what types of defenders a guy faces. Defenses will line up their best pass rusher over whichever tackle they believe they can overwhelm; that's why players like Markus Golden, Danielle Hunter, Cliff Avril, and Cameron Wake (all of whom finished in the top 6 in sacks last year) line up on the left side of their team's DL.

And also why more and more teams are prioritising the book end tackles as the two most important line spots.

I generally agree with your post but will point out that Peters moved from tight end to right tackle, then to left tackle.

Bandit is also correct. There is LESS of a difference between LT and RT these days, although imo one still exists. A RT can come a little closer to getting by on brute strength. A top LT absolutely must have excellent agility and mobility.

Dawkins graded high by PFF for Ravens game at LT. That is very good news in case Glenn can't play or if Glenn could play RT .

Put Miller or Groy in at RG and the OL is looking better. If they make Taylor stay in the pocket the OL is critical.

I'm very impressed with Peterman so far , don't rush him till OL is solid.

Miller is good enough, they're just trying to evaluate for depth here.

Starting lineup will be exactly the same as last year, Glenn is going to be on the field for the Jets game.

Dawkins and Groy versatile backups.

Everyone stop freaking out

If Miller is our best option and the guy who is going to start then it makes absolutely no sense on putting Ducasse out there with the first team offense. Ever. Why do that in pre-season when the objective should be to protect your QB with the best guys? Ducasse is a major liability.

If Miller is our best option and the guy who is going to start then it makes absolutely no sense on putting Ducasse out there with the first team offense. Ever. Why do that in pre-season when the objective should be to protect your QB with the best guys? Ducasse is a major liability.

This is so obvious to everyone...except Rico and Castillo. I really have no clue what they see in Ducasse. I never like to take personal pot-shots, but he really is outclassed by everyone he has faced on the oppositions DL. He has no business being on an NFL field.

Miller is good enough, they're just trying to evaluate for depth here.

Starting lineup will be exactly the same as last year, Glenn is going to be on the field for the Jets game.

Dawkins and Groy versatile backups.

Everyone stop freaking out

Let's hope you're right, but I think Castillo really believes in Ducasse for some unknown reason.

:lol:

I promised you a mea culpa if he's starting in week 1, and you shall have it.

I keep trying to talk myself into alternate explanations on this one.

If vlad starts week 1 there will be several spots that I've worried but given benefit of the doubt on that will come back up as major questions

Trust the process. I believe the coaches know more than us armchair coaches. They will pick who they think is the right fit for the scheme. Maybe Miller doesn't fit the scheme. Maybe we can trade him and pick up another draft pick?

What scheme calls for vlads skill set? Frankly, what is vlads skill set? What does he do better that the coaches would be keying in on as a core trait they seek?

The Bills have been trying too hard to justify the 3 year deal that signed Ducasse to for $3.25M

Blame the old regime! Ha!

Honestly though, vlad starting week one would definitely be a MAJOR red flag about the credibility of "the process"

When the entire foundation is "trust the process" then hits to its credibility are serious concerns

Blame the old regime! Ha!

Honestly though, vlad starting week one would definitely be a MAJOR red flag about the credibility of "the process"

When the entire foundation is "trust the process" then hits to its credibility are serious concerns

Chris Williams, Vlad Ducasse so similar in so many ways. Neither one deserved a visit nevermind a contract.

How fun was it watching Ducasse tonight from those who saw the game? I had a blast rewatching the eagles game a couple times. He's quite possibly the worst player in the NFL. He should be cut immediately. I'm also of believe that McD was just trying to light a fire in Miller. The only other possibility is that Castillo (already on my top 5 most hated Bills) told McD that he believes Ducasse is the better player and should have an opportunity to start. It's really the most lopsided "competition" ever. Only on the 2017 Bills.

I'm excited about our future but I wouldn't be surprised if this season is the worst during the streak. I see a LOT more turnover this offseason.

I haven't trusted the process since they tendered MG a 5th rounder to save an extra million.

I'm shocked Vlad is still on the team. McDermott needs to step in and tell Castillo to stop.

I threw up in my mouth when I read that the Bills hired Castillo. I just through up in my typing the Bills hired Castillo. If this season turns out how I think it will, I pray that McD doesn't stay loyal to his friend and fired him. I needs to go ASAP.

I haven't trusted the process since they tendered MG a 5th rounder to save an extra million.

I'm shocked Vlad is still on the team. McDermott needs to step in and tell Castillo to stop.

Trusting the process means waiting to see how it turns out. As it stands, JWill will make us forget MG. Just like MG made us forget KW. And like KW made us forget FJ.

Missed the game tonight but skimming through the game thread I see a lot of Ducasse rage and no mention of Miller. Did Miller play? With the first team?

I am a little worried that Castillo likes Ducasse and we are going to have some sort of Colin Brown situation on our hands again.

Just go with Groy

If Ducasse starts at this point, I really don't know what to say...

I always like to give new coaches the benefit of the doubt but It would be a huge hit to any good will afforded to Juan Castillo. Not that it would make me lose all faith, but it sure wouldn't help build it...

If they are, for whatever reason, totally opposed to starting Miller (which I don't think is the case) then they Have To find someone else besides Ducasse to play RG.

I really don't know how Castillo could try and sell it that Ducasse won the competition though. I just don't see any argument for that, unless there's just something that I'm completely missing or that we are not privy to.

Like I've said a few times now, I am not going to panic about this until I see Ducasse starting a regular season game over (a healthy) Miller. As of now I just can't see that happening. I sure hope I'm right...

If Ducasse starts at this point, I really don't know what to say...

I always like to give new coaches the benefit of the doubt but It would be a huge hit to any good will afforded to Juan Castillo. Not that it would make me lose all faith, but it sure wouldn't help build it...

If they are, for whatever reason, totally opposed to starting Miller (which I don't think is the case) then they Have To find someone else besides Ducasse to play RG.

I really don't know how Castillo could try and sell it that Ducasse won the competition though. I just don't see any argument for that, unless there's just something that I'm completely missing or that we are not privy to.

Like I've said a few times now, I am not going to panic about this until I see Ducasse starting a regular season game over (a healthy) Miller. As of now I just can't see that happening. I sure hope I'm right...

The Jets just might give up a draft choice to name him a starter. They are all in! :)

the only thing shocking will be if Ducasse doesn't get cut as part of sheding enough free agents to get that extra 3rd round comp pick

I looked it up on OvertheCap and his $3.2M contract is very very different than the Chris Williams debacle.

Basically if the Bills cut him, it looks as though their cap hit this year is $83k, $167k next year.