Nate Peterman Love .. anyone vs. 2018 QB draft??

A solid defense, excellent running game and quick decisive QB who will get the ball out on time to the playmakers. An accurate tall fundamentally sound QB that will not be afraid to hang in the pocket...that team is a team with a shot every week. I hope somehow Peterman takes the ball week 1.

You are not the only one...I think it is a win win for the Bills...either Peterman becomes our Dak Prescott and saves our season, or he bombs and we still draft a QB next year...

Edited by JaCrispy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my take on Peterman is that he has the potential to be a special starting QB in the NFL. I study football and have a NFL Draft War Room in my home! I doubled-up my accelerated Master's degree program at St. Bonaventure in Strategic Leadership so I could Graduate last December in advance of the rest of my class. It was critical that I did so, so I could watch all the bowl games, East/West especially, National Championshiip Game, watch video on college prospects, watch the NFL Combine in Indy, read about pro days etc... I have my own system of measures and analytics to determine the order of my draft board. My success rate in drafting NFL players has been much better than the Bills track record over the past 15 years! Although that isn't much to brag about, as I could've achieved that by purchasing 3 NFL Draft Magazines at the grocery store! The last QB that I felt so sure about and had as a Bills selection on my draft card was: Russel Wilson! We would have also drafted other great player's like Hali Ngnata, Rob Gronkowski, G.Bay's Clay etc.. My drafts would've netted us 13 current All-Pro's on our roster! (Much like our '90-93 roster) Not all of my picks have been hits, but few are misses! Drafting is an imperfect art, but you can increase your odds by staying clear of certain red flags: Behavioral, Medical... And putting emphasis on fully committed players who are Seniors! Certain physical characteristics are important factors, but not every outlier should be discarded...That's where I saw the value of Russel Wilson and weighed the intangibles of character, leadership, and work ethic! Barring injury, I just knew he was going to be elite... he may lack ideal height, but he more than compensates through improvising and finding a pathway to success! Everything I read and seen of him told me that he had something special within!!! There were clues that Ryan Leaf might fail... just some breadcrumb trails, but they were present to the watchful eye!

My point is that I had Nathan Peterman on my draft board in the 4th round. After everything was analyzed thoroughly, I was certain that Peterman had the character, drive and ability to potentially be a tier 1 QB! His height is adequate (not ideal) and he can needle the ball in tight windows and make most NFL throws. I believe he could add some arm strength to improve his velocity and ability to throw the long-ball which may be his two weaknesses. Peterman should and will work on his strength and conditioning and should improve his arm/shoulder strength.... He has good feet, can scramble when necessary and is a student of the game and makes intelligent choices both on and off the field! He played a pro-style offense as QB at Pitt and was a great leader who led his team past Clemson! (Their only loss) Everything I see tells me that Nathan Peterman is destined to be a Top Tier Starting QB in the NFL and win championships! I think he will get the breaks that give him the opportunities to showcase his talent at the position. I think he has many intangibles that outweigh any limitations that are revealed. He is the most NFL ready QB in the 2017 draft and I nearly lost my composure when the Bills selected Nathan Peterman!

In 2016 the opposite reaction was reserved for the Reggie Ragland pick! I was upset as the pick did not make sense to me as I had red flags on my draft board and could not fathom given up additional ammo (draft picks) to select him! Unfortunate, one year later I was proven right! I may have gotten off topic slightly, but I rarely comment as I learn much more from reading, watching and analyzing than talking (typing)! Thanks for bearing with me and I don't expect many of you to agree with most of what I've said, but I have been proven right often enough where I have confidence in my opinions on drafting and on Nathan Peterman. I could envision myself in the front office of the Buffalo Bills. Not because of earnings...as that's not a true motivator... it's the passion that matters!!! Go Bills!!!

If you believed Peterman was/is a top tier QB, then why would you have him graded in the fourth round?

What do you think of Sam Darnold and Josh Allen?

McD has said consistently that Tyrod is the starting quarterback at the moment and he is. But it does not feel like he's made his final decision and im not sold that he has. It seems like as the preseason went on he made more and more moves to look towards the future with some trades and personnel decisions. I think this is the case because after working with Tyrod for a few weeks in camp he realized the guy can't win enough games to make the playoffs. At the same time it seems like Peterman has impressed him more and more, almost to the point where they may be seen as equals. Well if this is the case, what is the reason to start Tyrod? The only thing I can think of is if he is worried about losing the trust of the veterans of the club like Wood, McCoy and Williams. I don`t think he can afford losing their support and losing the locker room. He seems like the type of guy who would get the input from the leaders before making a change like that and if they buy in that Peterman gives them an equal chance to win I think he will start. That seems reasonable to me but then again I really want the kid to start so maybe I`m just grasping at straws.....

I haven't read every page of this thread, but a good number of them. As far as Peterman making short passes most of the time, I think that is by design at this point. He's had mostly 3 step drops, and that is the offensive coordinator's decision. You're not throwing 50 yard bombs on 3 step drops. I also think that Peterman has faced more blitzing than is typical in preseason games for whatever reason. Short passes to receivers left open by blitzers is the right way to counter the blitzing. Dennison's offense in the preseason has kept the QBs in the pocket most of the time. That's clearly not Tyrod's strength, but Peterman seems quite comfortable there. The coaching staff essentially has said they are force feeding Tyrod plays where he's supposed to pass from the pocket. The intent is to start getting him more comfortable at doing it. Once the regular season starts, McDermott has already said that Tyrod is going to have more rollouts and moving pockets, not to mention zone reads, all stuff that he is naturally suited for. Eventually, if Peterman starts at some point, Dennison is going to want him to do that stuff too. I know Pitt had a very creative offense, but I didn't watch enough to know how much he had to pass on the move or make zone reads. I suspect it would not be hard for him to learn, but it will be different. Between Tyrod and Nate, I'm probably more optimistic about Nate Peterman's potential to be a long term success in Buffalo, and I think he could be successful immediately, but I don't mind if he has some time on the bench. It think there are some things he can learn before he has the pressure of starting.

I would have selected him in the fourth round, despite having a second round grade on Peterman, because I felt he would still be available at that point of the draft according to where the so-called draft experts i.e. Mel Kiper and many mock draft sites had projected him to go. I was afforded that luxury as my job wasn't hanging in the balance like Doug Whaley's. I'm not going to over-draft him in the 2nd or 3rd round if I think he will be on the board in the 4th as that would be ludicrous.Yes, he was at the top of my QB class on my positional board, so he was an absolute steal in the 4th, and even more so in the 5th round! Russel Wilson, Tom Brady, Dak Prescott were all obvious steals in their draft classes as well!!! Drafting is like poker... I would never expose the fact that Peterman was slotted as my top QB prospect on my draft board! I'm not going to spend 2,600 points in draft value compensation if I feel I can get extreme value out of a player by only giving up 300-600 points for him and instead use a high pick on another asset! Yes, it's a bluffing game and if I suspected another team was hot on his trail and willing to use a 3rd round pick on Peterman, I would have had to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on him, as he was the QB that I wanted. I know it's bold to say, but I believe as a whole the 2017 draft class was over-drafted and over-valued! I didn't rate any QB's as first round talent. I think every QB had shortcomings, including Peterman's lack of ideal arm strength. Through strength and conditioning, I believe Peterman will become a Tier 1 QB, but he hasn't arrived just yet, but is making progress as witnessed in the preseason. I would have liked to have seen him air it out a bit by throwing a few deep balls, but his accuracy is pretty good as Clay and T. Jones and others have dropped some very catchable balls. His quick release is exceptional and Brady-like. That being said, I think he can nickle&dime his way downfield and sustain long drives until he is ready to add the deep routes to his menu.

It's a little premature to forecast the 2018 QB class, but I like Darnold more than Allen and there are 2 or 3 other QB's who are potentially in contention to be in this conversation.. I really prefer to draft a Senior when possible and that has to be weighed with talent, any medical, behavioral red flags, leadership and character traits etc.. a lot to consider, but sometime in April I will know my order. If it were today, I would go with Darnold... 🏈

I would have selected him in the fourth round, despite having a second round grade on Peterman, because I felt he would still be available at that point of the draft according to where the so-called draft experts i.e. Mel Kiper and many mock draft sites had projected him to go. I was afforded that luxury as my job wasn't hanging in the balance like Doug Whaley's. I'm not going to over-draft him in the 2nd or 3rd round if I think he will be on the board in the 4th as that would be ludicrous.Yes, he was at the top of my QB class on my positional board, so he was an absolute steal in the 4th, and even more so in the 5th round! Russel Wilson, Tom Brady, Dak Prescott were all obvious steals in their draft classes as well!!! Drafting is like poker... I would never expose the fact that Peterman was slotted as my top QB prospect on my draft board! I'm not going to spend 2,600 points in draft value compensation if I feel I can get extreme value out of a player by only giving up 300-600 points for him and instead use a high pick on another asset! Yes, it's a bluffing game and if I suspected another team was hot on his trail and willing to use a 3rd round pick on Peterman, I would have had to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on him, as he was the QB that I wanted. I know it's bold to say, but I believe as a whole the 2017 draft class was over-drafted and over-valued! I didn't rate any QB's as first round talent. I think every QB had shortcomings, including Peterman's lack of ideal arm strength. Through strength and conditioning, I believe Peterman will become a Tier 1 QB, but he hasn't arrived just yet, but is making progress as witnessed in the preseason. I would have liked to have seen him air it out a bit by throwing a few deep balls, but his accuracy is pretty good as Clay and T. Jones and others have dropped some very catchable balls. His quick release is exceptional and Brady-like. That being said, I think he can nickle&dime his way downfield and sustain long drives until he is ready to add the deep routes to his menu.

It's a little premature to forecast the 2018 QB class, but I like Darnold more than Allen and there are 2 or 3 other QB's who are potentially in contention to be in this conversation.. I really prefer to draft a Senior when possible and that has to be weighed with talent, any medical, behavioral red flags, leadership and character traits etc.. a lot to consider, but sometime in April I will know my order. If it were today, I would go with Darnold...

I find your analysis intriguing and am interested in how this year turns out. Maybe you will be a GM someday :)

I'm going with Darnold too.

It's a little premature to forecast the 2018 QB class, but I like Darnold more than Allen and there are 2 or 3 other QB's who are potentially in contention to be in this conversation.. I really prefer to draft a Senior when possible and that has to be weighed with talent, any medical, behavioral red flags, leadership and character traits etc.. a lot to consider, but sometime in April I will know my order. If it were today, I would go with Darnold...

That is really an insane take considering you seem to know a decent amount of football. You, and every single person who follows the sport knows that NFL quarterback is the single most difficult position to play in all of sport. There are only 10-12 or maybe 15 people on the planet that can do it well consistently. If you are so convinced that Nate Peterman is good and a surefire second round talent there is a lot of reasons to take him in the first round. Overdraft him. It would be insane to think he is very good but no one else sees things like I do and no one else drafting knows he's a surefire second round talent except me so no one will take him to the fourth. That's nuts. It really is.

Fwiw everyone liked him. Everyone saw his accuracy and quick release and pretty good decision making and leadership. If you read any scouting report they will all mention that. His arm is suspect, he doesn't always throw with accuracy, he struggles a little under pressure, he does a ton of things quite good but not great. That's why he was predicted to go where he did and then pretty much did.

If you are a GM and think the way you described what you think you take him in the lower first round.

Just got this week's copy of Sports Illustrated which is it's NFL Preview. Pretty telling commentary on Tyrod in the Bills team review page. Only strengths are Deep ball and elusiveness.

Quoting here ... "Weaknesses include accuracy at the intermediate levels and inability to anticipate open receivers (he's a see it and then throw it type) and discomfort in the pocket when his first read is not there. But Taylor's biggest flaw is that many times, even when his early reads are open, he doesn't get the ball out." Conversely from what I saw preseason .. Nate appeared to be a good antidote to many of these shortcomings.

Aside from your posts being slightly self-congratulatory they are substantive.

Oh, and try using paragraphs and spacing a little more. When they are all jumbled up like that some people tend to gloss over those posts.

Just got this week's copy of Sports Illustrated which is it's NFL Preview. Pretty telling commentary on Tyrod in the Bills team review page. Only strengths are Deep ball and elusiveness.

Quoting here ... "Weaknesses include accuracy at the intermediate levels and inability to anticipate open receivers (he's a see it and then throw it type) and discomfort in the pocket when his first read is not there. But Taylor's biggest flaw is that many times, even when his early reads are open, he doesn't get the ball out." Conversely from what I saw preseason .. Nate appeared to be a good antidote to many of these shortcomings.

was there another thread you wanted to paste this in?

I haven't read every page of this thread, but a good number of them. As far as Peterman making short passes most of the time, I think that is by design at this point. He's had mostly 3 step drops, and that is the offensive coordinator's decision. You're not throwing 50 yard bombs on 3 step drops. I also think that Peterman has faced more blitzing than is typical in preseason games for whatever reason. Short passes to receivers left open by blitzers is the right way to counter the blitzing. Dennison's offense in the preseason has kept the QBs in the pocket most of the time. That's clearly not Tyrod's strength, but Peterman seems quite comfortable there. The coaching staff essentially has said they are force feeding Tyrod plays where he's supposed to pass from the pocket. The intent is to start getting him more comfortable at doing it. Once the regular season starts, McDermott has already said that Tyrod is going to have more rollouts and moving pockets, not to mention zone reads, all stuff that he is naturally suited for. Eventually, if Peterman starts at some point, Dennison is going to want him to do that stuff too. I know Pitt had a very creative offense, but I didn't watch enough to know how much he had to pass on the move or make zone reads. I suspect it would not be hard for him to learn, but it will be different. Between Tyrod and Nate, I'm probably more optimistic about Nate Peterman's potential to be a long term success in Buffalo, and I think he could be successful immediately, but I don't mind if he has some time on the bench. It think there are some things he can learn before he has the pressure of starting.

....great assessment....thanks......... :thumbsup:

Saw the replay of the Lions game. Nate was not going with his first read. And for a rookie, he does a pretty impressive job of looking-off the defenders.

He seemed to have a good command of the game.

All these assessments of what a starting QB should be actually show that Tyrod is lacking.

Saw the replay of the Lions game. Nate was not going with his first read. And for a rookie, he does a pretty impressive job of looking-off the defenders.

Yeah, it's the confidence in his pre-snap read that allows him to do that with a timing pattern, like the common curl route the Bills have been showing this preseason.

In preseason, it's also easier because the defenses are running a simple scheme every play.

Peterman seems to know exactly where he wants to go before the snap, for better or worse.

I don't know if you'll see that until the OL proves it can protect for longer than a couple seconds.

As for Mahomes and Trubisky allegedly showing better, not quite.

FTFY

Allegedly? Have you watched the games Doc? They are ALL playing better than NP. Im not trying to sht on the kid, I want NP to succeed but dont be such a homer. Ive watched their games, you can see all their throws for each game on youtube they are far ahead of NP. Theyve both made throws down the field in the NFL that NP doesnt even have on his college tape. Watch tape youll see the difference between a 1st round and 5th round pick. Stats dont tell everything but they arent even close. NP needs more time to get better but he would get roasted by Trubisky and Mahomes if they went head to head.

Stats from FoxSpots.com

Trubisky : 3 TDs 0 INTs Comp/Att: 36/53 PCT: 67.9% YDS: 364 QBR: 106.2

Mahomes: 4 TDs 0 INTs Comp/Att: 34/54 PCT: 63% YDS: 390 QBR: 109.3

Petermen: 1 TDs 0 INTs Comp/Att: 43/79 PCT: 54.4% YDS: 453 QBR: 75.6

You are not the only one...I think it is a win win for the Bills...either Peterman becomes our Dak Prescott and saves our season, or he bombs and we still draft a QB next year...

I dont want us to fall into the "dont draft a qb" cuz NP is playing decent trap. Im ok wit NP playing but We have the ammo this season so lets sign cuz we might not have the draft capital we have for 2018.

I dont want us to fall into the "dont draft a qb" cuz NP is playing decent trap. Im ok wit NP playing but We have the ammo this season so lets sign cuz we might not have the draft capital we have for 2018.

I am in this camp... Hope for the best with Peterman, regardless draft a QB as high as possible next year. Like centers in Hockey... you can't have enough potentially good ones in the pipeline... they can always play WR or TE :) In hockey, they can play wing...

FTFY

Allegedly? Have you watched the games Doc? They are ALL playing better than NP. Im not trying to sht on the kid, I want NP to succeed but dont be such a homer. Ive watched their games, you can see all their throws for each game on youtube they are far ahead of NP. Theyve both made throws down the field in the NFL that NP doesnt even have on his college tape. Watch tape youll see the difference between a 1st round and 5th round pick. Stats dont tell everything but they arent even close. NP needs more time to get better but he would get roasted by Trubisky and Mahomes if they went head to head.

Stats from FoxSpots.com

Trubisky : 3 TDs 0 INTs Comp/Att: 36/53 PCT: 67.9% YDS: 364 QBR: 106.2

Mahomes: 4 TDs 0 INTs Comp/Att: 34/54 PCT: 63% YDS: 390 QBR: 109.3

Petermen: 1 TDs 0 INTs Comp/Att: 43/79 PCT: 54.4% YDS: 453 QBR: 75.6

I looked more at the last 2 games, because all of their first 2 games consisted mostly of playing deep into the 4th quarter against guys who are no longer in the NFL. Suffice it to say, they all have a lot to prove before anointing them anything other than players with potential.

Just start Peterman the entire season. Obviously you are prepping for the future. TT isnt part of that future

I think they are hoping to showcase Tyrod the first half of the season and are waiting for a playoff contender to come down with an injured/underachieving QB.

And then trade him for more picks. Same deal with Shady if they're willing to deal with the dead money.

I looked more at the last 2 games, because all of their first 2 games consisted mostly of playing deep into the 4th quarter against guys who are no longer in the NFL. Suffice it to say, they all have a lot to prove before anointing them anything other than players with potential.

I think Mahomes had his best game last week. Either way NP is in last place for his draft class but that can always change he might need some more time. Should be a solid starter or back up.

I think they are hoping to showcase Tyrod the first half of the season and are waiting for a playoff contender to come down with an injured/underachieving QB.

And then trade him for more picks. Same deal with Shady if they're willing to deal with the dead money.

Denver should be the target at mid season if that is the plan. They should be willing to give up a higher pick than anyone else. I could even see a 1st if they are thinking QB is the one thing holding them back from another Super Bowl.