Nate Peterman Love .. anyone vs. 2018 QB draft??

All I am reading today is the draft capital to get a QB in next year's draft .... is it just me or did no one like what Nate showed on Thursday? First drive as a pro ... drove down the field and scored ... in the fourth scrambled for good 1st downs .. and then hit Taiwan Jones perfectly on 4th down on the 5 yard line .. but he turned his head to run and dropped the ball ...likely could of been game tying score.

This kid went to Clemson last year and beat #1 in a shootout against D. Watson ... I like what I saw and yes only one game and yes against 2nd/3rd string .. but certainly better than what I saw from Yates vs. the Vikes ... but given the lack of comments and I am island?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brady was passed 5 times as I recall ... Russell Wilson was the 6th QB taken in his draft (we took the illustrious TJ Graham WR NC State 7 picks earlier that year in round 3) ... Kirk Cousins .. same draft class next round ... with your logic ... unless you're a first rounder ... you can't make it .. I respectfully disagree ... Dak Precott as a recent example.

Brady was passed 5 times as I recall ... Russell Wilson was the 6th QB taken in his draft (we took the illustrious TJ Graham WR NC State 7 picks earlier that year in round 3) ... Kirk Cousins .. same draft class next round ... with your logic ... unless you're a first rounder ... you can't make it .. I respectfully disagree ... Dak Precott as a recent example.

Yes, but you aren't acquiring all of these picks to build around him. You are going to go get your guy. Peterman isn't going to play this year and they aren't going to punt on next year's draft because of him. If Tyrod gets hurt or traded and Peterman lights it up -maybe. He isn't going to enter 2018 as the starter with 0 starts under his belt.

that seems to be everyone's logic on this board, and evidently, the same with the FO. they can't develop QBs or a team, so they are looking for a "ready made" Brady, Rodgers, or Ryan....not happening. there is a reason those QBs are miles better than the others in the league. Time, experience and development.

Yes, but you aren't acquiring all of these picks to build around him. You are going to go get your guy. Peterman isn't going to play this year and they aren't going to punt on next year's draft because of him. If Tyrod gets hurt or traded and Peterman lights it up -maybe. He isn't going to enter 2018 as the starter with 0 starts under his belt.

All I'm saying ... is 90% of this board is already looking to 2018 QB draft class and a guy we just picked (granted 5th round) has played half a game ... and versus others ... I thought showed OK ... so it ain't 2018 yet ... let's talk about what we have for 2017 ... for me I'm looking forward to Nate's next game ... and see what happens ... my point is ... everyone else I showed drafted late .. probably wasn't that team's savior either (Brady, Wilson, Prescott, Cousins) ... but were eventually thrust into the roles and shocking given their draft position ... have played pretty well (meaning I think we as Bills Fans) vs. the 20+ QB's we've had since Jim Kelly.

umm he played ONE pre-season game and fared pretty well. hahah this board knows all, huh?

He looked okay against 3rd and 4th stringers in his preseason debut. His college tape says career backup and that's what I see in him. It's obvious that plans are underway to get a highly rated QB prospect in the 2018 draft.

All I'm saying ... is 90% of this board is already looking to 2018 QB draft class and a guy we just picked (granted 5th round) has played half a game ... and versus others ... I thought showed OK ... so it ain't 2018 yet ... let's talk about what we have for 2017 ... for me I'm looking forward to Nate's next game ... and see what happens ... my point is ... everyone else I showed drafted late .. probably wasn't that team's savior either (Brady, Wilson, Prescott, Cousins) ... but were eventually thrust into the roles and shocking given their draft position ... have played pretty well (meaning I think we as Bills Fans) vs. the 20+ QB's we've had since Jim Kelly.

I'll ask it a different way. If Nate Peterman finishes this season with no starts (or even 1 or 2) do you think that the FO will be comfortable with him entering 2018 as the starter?

They can't pass up this draft class, with all of that draft capital, on the chance that Peterman becomes a franchise guy. That minuscule chance just isn't one that teams will take. Peterman's only chance is a Tyrod injury or trade. If that happens and Peterman plays great maybe they will hand him the keys. He will have to play a lot (and well) to get the opportunity.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

He looked okay against 3rd and 4th stringers in his preseason debut. His college tape says career backup and that's what I see in him. It's obvious that plans are underway to get a highly rated QB prospect in the 2018 draft.

ever take note that he was also throwing to 3rd and 4th stringers? good play is good play. if he were bad, people would find the negative. if he played well then "ohh it was again 3rd and 4th..."

again, you can't have it both ways. good play is good play. why would any one expect a rookie fresh to the league to perform lights out against starters? it has to start somewhere.

ever take note that he was also throwing to 3rd and 4th stringers? good play is good play. if he were bad, people would find the negative. if he played well then "ohh it was again 3rd and 4th..."

again, you can't have it both ways. good play is good play. why would any one expect a rookie fresh to the league to perform lights out against starters? it has to start somewhere.

He had some good plays and some bad. He looked okay, but that was a helluva lot better than what Yates showed.

I'll ask it a different way. If Nate Peterman finishes this season with no starts (or even 1 or 2) do you think that the FO will be comfortable with him entering 2018 as the starter?

They can't pass up this draft class, with all of that draft capital, on the chance that Peterman becomes a franchise guy. That minuscule chance just isn't won that teams will take. Peterman's only chance is a Tyrod injury or trade. If that happens and Peterman plays great maybe they will hand him the keys. He will have to play a lot (and well) to get the opportunity.

Agree ... my only point is I don't see anyone excited about his first game action of the season ... all we're jabbering about is 2018 and we only only partially test driven our new 2017 QB model.

Thanks 87 ... I agree

Then we better hope that there are 3 or 4 franchise QBs in the 2018 draft class because 3 other teams will snap up QB's before Buffalo gets a chance.

Then we better hope that there are 3 or 4 franchise QBs in the 2018 draft class because 3 other teams will snap up QB's before Buffalo gets a chance.

With two picks in each of the 1st three rounds in 2018, they have plenty of ammo to get one of the top guys.

Peterman looked good. I'd like to see how he looks with the first string. As of now, I predict Peterman will be the only QB, of the 3 we have now, that will still be a Bill at this time next year.

Go Bills!!!!!

Peterman looked okay and will not get any time with the 1st team as he hasn't earned it. He showed better than Yates against the Vikings, but hasn't outperformed him in camp.

Peterman looked okay and will not get any time with the 1st team as he hasn't earned it. He showed better than Yates against the Vikings, but hasn't outperformed him in camp.

Yep, but the game performance is valuable. That gets you reps in camp. I'd be surprised if Peterman isn't stealing reps from Yates this week.

Yates is a vet, so camp is routine for him, while Peterman is acclimating to the league. So, it's easier for Yates to get a head start there.

Neither guy even approaches Tyrod, yet.

Hypothetical. When and if they draft their savior franchise QB, does he immediately step in as the undisputed starter? Tyrod won't be here, I think. Do we bring in a journeyman stop gap? Does Peterman get a little run? What if Tyrod goes 8-8 with a 3500/ 25/5 / 90qbr?

You really can't tell anything from any pre season game, much less the first , against soon to be grocery baggers.

Having said that, he seems to have a competency that even TT sometimes doesn't have. How many plays did he take into this game under his belt? A limited play selection is easier to comprehend. I'm hoping he gets a chance to run with the twos this week.

Some are saying he's a career back up. So was Reich and many others who still proved invaluable when the time came. Some cats thrive in the number two roll and are happy to do the work without taking the beating.

If we are building a long term contender from scratch , the backup QB is a huge piece of the puzzle.

I agree wholeheartedly that Peterman, most likely, is the only one of these three left in one year.

Hypothetical. When and if they draft their savior franchise QB, does he immediately step in as the undisputed starter? Tyrod won't be here, I think. Do we bring in a journeyman stop gap? Does Peterman get a little run? What if Tyrod goes 8-8 with a 3500/ 25/5 / 90qbr?

You trade him for what you can get.

Use the FT and someone Will pay for him!

You really can't tell anything from any pre season game, much less the first , against soon to be grocery baggers.

Having said that, he seems to have a competency that even TT sometimes doesn't have. How many plays did he take into this game under his belt? A limited play selection is easier to comprehend. I'm hoping he gets a chance to run with the twos this week.

Some are saying he's a career back up. So was Reich and many others who still proved invaluable when the time came. Some cats thrive in the number two roll and are happy to do the work without taking the beating.

If we are building a long term contender from scratch , the backup QB is a huge piece of the puzzle.

I agree wholeheartedly that Peterman, most likely, is the only one of these three left in one year.

Yeah, I can live with Peterman as a long-term #2. It's an important role and one that needs to be filled. That would be a great use of a 5th round pick IMO. I liked what a saw from him the other night.

Beane/McD aren't banking their future on Peterman. If he turns out to be more than a quality backup it will come to a complete welcomed surprise. Stranger things have happened

Why did they draft him then?

If Beane/McDermott already had eyes on 2018 QB class, signed Yates, had Tyrod and Jones on the roster why draft Peterman? Seems like a wasted pick with all the other holes on the roster. You don't draft a guy to be just a backup QB unless you have a franchise guy in place.

I think Peterman starts at some point this season.

Edited by old school

The funny thing about Peterman is that the only real knock on him was arm strength. He's accurate, experienced in a pro style offense, smart, knows how to read a defense and where to go with the ball.

To my eyes his ball had plenty of zip on it on Thursday night. It will be interesting to see how they bring him along. I'm somewhat encouraged that he may have something to him.

Nate Petermen right now is a strong possibility as a #2 quarterback and might even make it as a #1. But even if he has a strong season and gets regular season playing time they need to draft a 1st round quarterback. You need a starter and a backup and let them fight for the spot and let Tyrod go.

Why did they draft him then?

If Beane/McDermott already had eyes on 2018 QB class, signed Yates, had Tyrod and Jones on the roster why draft Peterman? Seems like a wasted pick with all the other holes on the roster. You don't draft a guy to be just a backup QB unless you have a franchise guy in place.

I think Peterman starts at some point this season.

You don't pass on a guy 5 times in the draft if you think that he's your guy.