Nate Peterman Love .. anyone vs. 2018 QB draft??

Demaryius Thomas had 105 catches and over 1,300 yards in their Super Bowl year. You wouldn't call that elite? 7th in both catches AND yards with a broken down Manning and Osweiler as his QBs. You wouldn't saying that $43.5M in guarantees is being paid like an elite receiver?!? At $70M total contract value there is exactly 1 receiver making more (Julio).

An average of $12M a year would make him the 7th highest paid receiver in the league. https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

I guess it depends on how you define elite. Julio Jones, AJ Green, OBJ, Antonio Brown. In no particular order those are the elite receivers. Then I would put people like Thomas, Mike Evans, Doug Baldwin (criminally underrated IMO). Sammy wants to be paid like the first tier and he probably will be.

Did he just say DT wasn't an elite wr? He was a top 10 wr, at times top 5, before last year.

What is going on with this board? Have the Bills' mediocrity just killed fans' ability to know elite talent?

Top 10 isn't elite in a league of 32 teams.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it depends on how you define elite. Julio Jones, AJ Green, OBJ, Antonio Brown. In no particular order those are the elite receivers. Then I would put people like Thomas, Mike Evans, Doug Baldwin (criminally underrated IMO). Sammy wants to be paid like the first tier and he probably will be.

Top 10 isn't elite in a league of 32 teams.

You also said that he was never paid like an elite receiver despite being the 2nd highest paid receiver.

You also said that he was never paid like an elite receiver despite being the 2nd highest paid receiver.

Total value means nothing to me, the average salary is what matters. Looking at that list of average salaries he's right where I would put him, which is below all the receivers I pegged as elite. OBJ will of course be there soon. And I actually expect Sammy to be there too, although I don't think his production will match it.

So under your theory and showing my age here .... The Eldest Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson who beat out Terry Bradshaw at Louisana Tech should of been Joe Montana. Or the fact that Tom Brady sat behind Brian Griese and the illustrious Scott Driesboch his first two years (ala Peterman's first two years at Tennessee before transferring to Pitt) and was drafted in sixth round ... again all I'm saying is like any other pick .. its a lottery ticket.

I just can't believe people are talking themselves into a 5th round rookie who couldn't beat out Joshua Dobbs.

Maybe the Bills should try drafting more than 3 qbs in 30 years in the 1st round.

Edited by WideRightRevenge

Total value means nothing to me, the average salary is what matters. Looking at that list of average salaries he's right where I would put him, which is below all the receivers I pegged as elite. OBJ will of course be there soon. And I actually expect Sammy to be there too, although I don't think his production will match it.

So 4th highest average isn't being paid like an elite WR?

A little emotional over a marginal QB prospect aren't you? Part of what's done on a football forum is assess player abilities at every position. Your emotional response in defense of Peterman is rather odd unless you're related to him. I see what I see and if you disagree that's fine.

My 2 cents

We don't know who Peterman is or what he can do.

The negative Nancy's slamming Nate is premature.

Calling him a backup at best at this time is an uneducated guess.

Guys, Peterman scored a td against 3 and 4 stringers! We are set for the next 15 years!

If the Bills don't draft a qb in the 1st round, it would be another major failure.

What proof do you have to ridicule Nate so boldly?

I'm just asking a question.

My 2 cents

Negative Nancy? Should I praise him as a great QB prospect when what I have seen from his College tape says backup QB at the NFL level? What I saw from him on Thursday doesn't change that assessment.

Calling him a career backup isn't ridicule. Now if I posted that he sucks and doesn't belong in the NFL that would be harsh just as I said with Manziel and Tebow before him.

You want to drink Peterman hype, then you're more than welcome to. I stand by my assessment until I see otherwise to alter my view.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

My 2 cents

I'm not ridiculing him. I just find the overreaction to a presseaon game completely fascinating. My god, people did it with Jeff Tuel. By all accounts, Peterson has been meh all camp.

I hope he turns into a solid backup. But everything in the world says that is probably his ceiling. And that's fine for a 5th rounder.

I would bet 95% of qbs drafted after the 2nd round fail. I hope NP is part of the 5% but it's kinda nuts to think otherwise after a completely meaningless game against pretty meaningless players.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

So under your theory and showing my age here .... The Eldest Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson who beat out Terry Bradshaw at Louisana Tech should of been Joe Montana. Or the fact that Tom Brady sat behind Brian Griese and the illustrious Scott Driesboch his first two years (ala Peterman's first two years at Tennessee before transferring to Pitt) and was drafted in sixth round ... again all I'm saying is like any other pick .. its a lottery ticket.

Be honest. Did you ever watch NP in college and think he was going to be a NFL starting qb one day? I didn't.

Again, I like the pick. I always like taking qbs. You're right, hopefully we get lucky. But odds are we going crazy over another qb who won't amount to anything. But I hope I'm wrong.

But I also want a 1st round qb next year.

Even if this staff comes out of 2017 convinced (somehow) that Peterman can (or will) be the guy, they should absolutely be looking to acquire another potential franchise QB in the 2017 draft.

Injuries happen. Regression happens. Holdouts happen. Suspensions happen.

Being over prepared at the QB position would be a 180-degree turnaround for this franchise

Even if this staff comes out of 2017 convinced (somehow) that Peterman can (or will) be the guy, they should absolutely be looking to acquire another potential franchise QB in the 2017 draft.

Injuries happen. Regression happens. Holdouts happen. Suspensions happen.

Being over prepared at the QB position would be a 180-degree turnaround for this franchise

Exactly

Negative Nancy? Should I praise him as a great QB prospect when what I have seen from his College tape says backup QB at the NFL level? What I saw from him on Thursday doesn't change that assessment.

Calling him a career backup isn't ridicule. Now if I posted that he sucks and doesn't belong in the NFL that would be harsh just as I said with Manziel and Tebow before him.

You want to drink Peterman hype, then you're more than welcome to. I stand by my assessment until I see otherwise to alter my view.

I'm not drinking any hype. I'd prefer to see with my own eyes than automatically call him a career backup.

To the general public

people should be rooting for the guy and not worrying that he might take some ones job this season.

Exactly what I did.

The kid really reminds me of Brian Hoyer.

How with 15 minutes of game time

Do you even read the links you post.

shows good anticipation

Something we need to see from a QB when TT is gone.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

To the general public

people should be rooting for the guy and not worrying that he might take some ones job this season.

How with 15 minutes of game time

He played in College and he has tape out there.

Rooting for him doesn't mean ignoring what you see.

Those last two passes show why he needs so much more time to work on his delivery: velocity and touch/finesse.

Took Tyrod 6 years to learn that touch/finesse and he still doesn't get it consistently. Peterman's farther ahead, so maybe just a few years to be a proficient starter, if he ever becomes that.

Just to restate what I said in the training canp thread, I was at practice today and Peterman was the best of the 3 QBs. I would go so far as to say it wasn't really close. Not that that really means anything because it's just one practice but it's what I saw. He threaded a few beautiful passes, 3 in particular stand out in my memory and they were all different passes to different parts of the field.

Richie Incognito

By the time Peterman entered the game, Richie Incognito was comfortably on the sideline with the rest of the starters. That gave him a chance to soak up Peterman’s night from a different vantage point.

“He was slinging that ball,” Incognito said. “Rhythm. He was making some anticipation throws. The kid’s going to be good. He needs to get polished up a bit on some little stuff, but he’s going to be a special player.”

That's real encouraging to hear.

Wow a little more love this afternoon ... NICE to hear ... again it's only 2 quarters .. but Richie's a fan ... Happy's a fan from practice ... Gruden's a fan from Gruden QB Camp .. I'm a fan from Thursday .. so there are at least 4 people who like Nate in this world

Richie Incognito

By the time Peterman entered the game, Richie Incognito was comfortably on the sideline with the rest of the starters. That gave him a chance to soak up Petermans night from a different vantage point.

He was slinging that ball, Incognito said. Rhythm. He was making some anticipation throws. The kids going to be good. He needs to get polished up a bit on some little stuff, but hes going to be a special player.

That's real encouraging to hear.

I saw Richie on Cowherd or something, and he's a surprisingly good interview. I guess he wants to get into broadcasting, and I think he'll be good at it. Edited by Augie

Wow a little more love this afternoon ... NICE to hear ... again it's only 2 quarters .. but Richie's a fan ... Happy's a fan from practice ... Gruden's a fan from Gruden QB Camp .. I'm a fan from Thursday .. so there are at least 4 people who like Nate in this world

Hopefully a year on the sideline and in and NFL strength and conditioning program to get the arm a littler stronger can have him ready to compete next year.