Nate Peterman Love .. anyone vs. 2018 QB draft??

You keep repeating that line... when all of us at this point are just guessing. I saw a lot of good but do I know if he project as a bust or a 2 or 1... NFW. At this point his development looks good but we shall see... by the way how many pull up can he do... who cares.

. Watson looked zoned in on his receivers and would have had 3 picks against a real defense based on how he locked in on one receiver. Again nfw anyone can accurately project these guys nor if their coaches can develop them properly.

He has a body of College tape to project from as well as what he shows in camp/preseason. If you think his development is good. Okay by me. We'll see in the long run.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didnt look better or worse than the two guys above him everyone is fawning over. In fact I thought he looked off the DBs better than those two. Yeh they have arms, but the way they locked on receivers shows me they all have a long way to go and who knows. Just saying predictions at this point are stupid till we see if these guys can overcome the weaknesses they brought with them to the league. IMO strength is the easiest to overcome. Field awareness is more innate. Peterman seems to have that and finally do any of them have that fire to take it to the next level... honestly dont know???

Edited by North Buffalo

He didnt look better or worse than the two guys above him everyone is fawning over. In fact I thought he looked off the DBs better than those two. Yeh they have arms, but the way they locked on receivers shows me they all have a long way to go and who knows. Just saying predictions at this point are stupid till we see if these guys can overcome the weaknesses they brought with them to the league. IMO strength is the easiest to overcome. Field awareness is more innate. Peterman seems to have that and finally do any of them have that fire to take it to the next level... honestly dont know???

You really want to like him and that's cool. He looks like Meh to me. Getting a real QB prospect in the '18 draft is where I'm at.

Honestly, the best thing we can do is let Nate start every game this season.

If he looks great, no need to draft QB next year..highly unlikely but still.

If he looks bad? Great! We get the #1 overall pick.

Win win.

Honestly, the best thing we can do is let Nate start every game this season.

If he looks great, no need to draft QB next year..highly unlikely but still.

If he looks bad? Great! We get the #1 overall pick.

Win win.

He won't and he wouldn't.

Peterman could very well end up as the franchise QB. You never freaking know.

But, Peterman could look like God in his rookie season and there is a 99% chance the Bills will still take a QB very high, if they end up picking very high in the 2018 draft.

The funny thing about Peterman is that the only real knock on him was arm strength. He's accurate, experienced in a pro style offense, smart, knows how to read a defense and where to go with the ball.

To my eyes his ball had plenty of zip on it on Thursday night. It will be interesting to see how they bring him along. I'm somewhat encouraged that he may have something to him.

Talk to me juice!!!

You don't pass on a guy 5 times in the draft if you think that he's your guy.

Kirby no offense .. but if you look at the 2017 draft board .. we didn't have a 3rd or 4th rounder because of the trade up for Dion ... we did take Milano in the 5th a few picks earlier ... but still ... we didn't pass on him 5 times .. 4 yes ... but I think they thought they couldn't believe he was still sitting there.

Yates is straight garbage, Peterman should be the backup.

Amen .. hold a clip board at #3

So 26, is Peterman still TJ Yates with less experience?

Looks to me like he has a chance to be the # 1 backup entering the regular season or soon after.

I was impressed with him. I would like to see a little more arm strength on certain throws but we all know thats a work in progress.

What he showed was consistent with his tape, which is not bad imo. I like his mobility and how he keeps his head up scanning the field on broken plays. Thought he hung in the pocket pretty well when the protection was not completely lacking (which it was on 2 or 3 snaps). Accuracy was ok if a little spotty at times. His mates dropped two passes that were perfectly thrown and that would have extended drives or resulted in scores. To me the best thing is that he seems capable of throwing with anticipation. He can visualize the development of the action. Processing (progressions) remains a big question mark. Against starting calibre defenders a couple of his throws would probably have been picked off. But above the shoulders its pretty clear that he possesses at least some of the attributes of a QB.

He's got a long way to go obviously but I wouldn't hurry to any firm conclusions just yet. He might turn out to be more than a career backup. I see him right now as just a notch below JG in NE when that came into the league and everybody sees Jimmy as potential starting material. Do you think Goff or Lynch are that far ahead of NP right now?

For sure the Bills are setting up to pick a franchise prospect next year but wouldn't it be nice if they could use that draft capital on other position players. Could really jump start the rebuild.

Preach Starry!!!!

Talk to me juice!!!

Kirby no offense .. but if you look at the 2017 draft board .. we didn't have a 3rd or 4th rounder because of the trade up for Dion ... we did take Milano in the 5th a few picks earlier ... but still ... we didn't pass on him 5 times .. 4 yes ... but I think they thought they couldn't believe he was still sitting there.

Amen .. hold a clip board at #3

No offense taken whatsoever, you are right.

The point remains though they didn't even take him with their 1st 5th rounder. If they felt really strongly about his chances they would have made sure to get him earlier.

Bottom line .. I'm thankful football is back and we can chat about real things vs. the 2018 draft .... we'll see come preseason game 2 ... Kirby to be continued!!

Kirby .. one other question ... Peterman or Jared Goff?

That's a pretty interesting one. I'll still go Goff because of his upside. I think that Peterman is going to be like McCarron is. I see him as a young, smart long-term #2. Goff is more boom or bust to me but it's because of his opportunity and draft position. As the 1st overall pick he will either be a starter his whole career or be out of the league in a few years. Guys like him rarely reappear as backups elsewhere. They are so mentally beatdown if they fail they just end up going away. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Peterman spent more years in the league than Goff but I doubt that he plays in more games (if that makes sense).

All I am reading today is the draft capital to get a QB in next year's draft .... is it just me or did no one like what Nate showed on Thursday? First drive as a pro ... drove down the field and scored ... in the fourth scrambled for good 1st downs .. and then hit Taiwan Jones perfectly on 4th down on the 5 yard line .. but he turned his head to run and dropped the ball ...likely could of been game tying score.

This kid went to Clemson last year and beat #1 in a shootout against D. Watson ... I like what I saw and yes only one game and yes against 2nd/3rd string .. but certainly better than what I saw from Yates vs. the Vikes ... but given the lack of comments and I am island?

I liked what I saw.

Peterman looked like what he is, inexperienced in the NFL.

But he didn't look broken like our quarterback always have. He didn't look like there is something wrong that has to be fixed.

Tyrod can't stay in the pocket and has trouble with the middle of the field. He has to change to someone he isn't.

EJ couldn't read the defense and didn't look comfortable. He had to change into someone he isn't.

Losman looked like he could throw a long ball and couldn't do anything else at all. His development, like all Bills QBs, included having to change into someone he isn't.

Peterman didn't look like he had to change into somebody else. And for me that was very exciting.

You really want to like him and that's cool. He looks like Meh to me. Getting a real QB prospect in the '18 draft is where I'm at.

This is where I'm at.

Peterman looked alright. He had command of the offense, and I was surprised to see him run with the ball the way he did.

The touchdown to Dezmin Lewis was very nice.

I also saw Peterman throw 4-5 passes that were behind the receiver, and the receivers bailed him out by still being able to catch them. Also with time running down, he hurried the Bills to get a play off before the 2 minute warning, which lead to a false start.

I'm not excited about Peterman, I think his future is as a back-up QB. I am far more intrigued by the QB class in 2018.

So, prematurely as this all is... we are passing on a potential franchise QB in the 2018 draft because our fifth rounder looked solid against third team players. Literally, in less then a half of football in a pre season game, the decision is made at the most critical position in all of sports.

I like it!

Edited by BillsFan17

So, prematurely as this all is... we are passing on a potential franchise QB in the 2018 draft because our fifth rounder looked solid against third team players. Literally, in less then a half of football in a pre season game, the decision is made at the most critical position in all of sports.

I like it!

Don't misinterpret the thread ... the original post was so much on this board was regarding the 2018 draft and I was curious for others comments on Nate's performance from Thursday as I read virtually none. Certainly with TJ Yates on board ..we have roster room for another QB in 2018.

Don't misinterpret the thread ... the original post was so much on this board was regarding the 2018 draft and I was curious for others comments on Nate's performance from Thursday as I read virtually none. Certainly with TJ Yates on board ..we have roster room for another QB in 2018.

well I hope you got what you were looking from in the answers. His first game bore out the scouting reports on him:

1) quick release

2) decisiveness

3) excellent in short timing throws

4) accuracy and location an issue at times

5) throws well on the move

6) has a nice touch throw

7) can run

8) seemed comfortable reading NFL defenses which was impressive for a rookie.

questions to be answered - arm strength and ability to throw 20 to 40 yards down field.

Someone said he's like Kirk Cousins. I think he looked a bit less impressive than Kirk in his rookie year but are very similar. I'd wait to see how he grows in the next few weeks. He is potentially a good project to develop. From what I can see Kirk added arm strength over the last 3 years vs his rookie year. If Peterman can do the same he has a chance to steal starting job somewhere like Fitz did.

I think bagging him at this point is irresponsible and short sighted. Thank God you are not a coach. I have no idea if he will work out. But not gonna be judgmental on any of these guys if they can hit the broad side of a barn and not throw to the other team. Im just saying its way to early, but go ahead with your click bait.

PS im ok with drafting in 18 and or 19 and on till Bills can actually establish a number 1 QB.

I think bagging him at this point is irresponsible and short sighted. Thank God you are not a coach. I have no idea if he will work out. But not gonna be judgmental on any of these guys if they can hit the broad side of a barn and not throw to the other team. Im just saying its way to early, but go ahead with your click bait.

PS im ok with drafting in 18 and or 19 and on till Bills can actually establish a number 1 QB.

A little emotional over a marginal QB prospect aren't you? Part of what's done on a football forum is assess player abilities at every position. Your emotional response in defense of Peterman is rather odd unless you're related to him. I see what I see and if you disagree that's fine.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

A little emotional over a marginal QB prospect aren't you? Part of what's done on a football forum is assess player abilities at every position. Your emotional response in defense of Peterman is rather odd unless you're related to him. I see what I see and if you disagree that's fine.

What exactly qualifies one for the emotional response blast? Is there a set criteria or is it more of a case by case thing?

Good Buffalo Rumblings article about his debut:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/8/13/16137168/buffalo-bills-analysis-nathan-peterman-preseason-debut-anticipation-arm-strength

He definitely showed promise. Let's see how he looks in the rest of preseason.

What that I said are you disagreeing with?

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with trying to win now and trying to win next year. They're not ranking but they're also not renting assets for a single season when they dan recoup something if they think ahead. I am sure if they thought they were a Super Bowl team this year they would have kept Sammy, but being realistic they can lose him without changing the direction of the team this season. I don't think McBeane sees value in elite receivers and looking at recent Super Bowls they have a point. Julio is the only elite receiver that has been to a Super Bowl lately. It's not the right position to spend multiple picks and a lot of money on.

Personally, I don't think a second & third draft pick is worth the box they've put themselves in - much less the value of the traded players - but we'll see.

They inherited a box and they're trying to get out of it. Whaley left us in a bad cap situation. The fans want the team to extend every player but it isn't realistic. If they looked ahead and didn't see a place for Sammy's salary, it makes sense to get what you can now. Super Bowl isn't realistic this year so why rent him for a year? The only reason you do that is if you're sure you want to extend him and that obviously was not going to be the plan.

Good Buffalo Rumblings article about his debut:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/8/13/16137168/buffalo-bills-analysis-nathan-peterman-preseason-debut-anticipation-arm-strength

He definitely showed promise. Let's see how he looks in the rest of preseason.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with trying to win now and trying to win next year. They're not ranking but they're also not renting assets for a single season when they dan recoup something if they think ahead. I am sure if they thought they were a Super Bowl team this year they would have kept Sammy, but being realistic they can lose him without changing the direction of the team this season. I don't think McBeane sees value in elite receivers and looking at recent Super Bowls they have a point. Julio is the only elite receiver that has been to a Super Bowl lately. It's not the right position to spend multiple picks and a lot of money on.

It's a sunken cost though. They are either going to pay Matthews $10M or Watkins $12M. I don't think that the Bills were a Super Bowl contender either. I think that they may have been a playoff team heading omg the right direction. They got worse in the short-term with these deals (they pretty much admitted that). They lessened their chance at a playoff spot but still didn't do much to increase their chance at a top QB. You had to go one direction or the other. They did a little of both.

In terms of the cap that is the biggest load of BS that they are trying to sell us. The Bills have not had to let a player go since Pat Williams because of the cap. They CHOSE to let a bunch of guys leave but they weren't forced to. The cap isn't stopping anyone anymore. It is so easily manipulated.

In terms of elite receivers Julio last year and Demaryius Thomas the year before. He had 105 catches and 1300 yards. Edelman caught 92 balls in 2014. There are a lot of high end receivers that have won (especially in this new NFL).

Guys, Peterman scored a td against 3 and 4 stringers! We are set for the next 15 years!

If the Bills don't draft a qb in the 1st round, it would be another major failure.

Look .. I'm not saying he's Brady ... but he also had a 3 - 4th string OL in front of him ... and 3rd/4th string WR / RB's .. and moved the ball .. so yea maybe he's the "tallest midget" for the game .. but he didn't tank ... I think its something to build upon ... we'll see next week .. if he sucks it up then he may well be a clipboard guy .. if he builds on it and does a little better ... maybe some on this board might .. maybe just might give him some sort of props (i.e. - Gruden QB Camp).

Look .. I'm not saying he's Brady ... but he also had a 3 - 4th string OL in front of him ... and 3rd/4th string WR / RB's .. and moved the ball .. so yea maybe he's the "tallest midget" for the game .. but he didn't tank ... I think its something to build upon ... we'll see next week .. if he sucks it up then he may well be a clipboard guy .. if he builds on it and does a little better ... maybe some on this board might .. maybe just might give him some sort of props (i.e. - Gruden QB Camp).

I hope by some miracle he turns out to be a good NFL starter. But the chances of that happening are so small. A lot of qbs look good in the preseason. He threw very simple passes.

With all the info we have, how often do we think a guy who played in a power conference slips to the fifth round if he has great upside? Russell Wilson slipped because he is little. Dak slipped because he got a DWI.

FWIW in 3rd team players I thought Peterman did ok.

Sure there were hiccups but how many were on Peterman or the receivers?

His 2 runs were impressive if you ask me.

Yates meh.

Also, I read that the Vikes blitzed over 60% of the time. That's a lot to put on the plate of a QB playing for the very 1st time. I think that all the "weak arm" talk knocked him down in the draft. We shall see.

@Cover_1_

ICYMI My breakdown of the #Bills vs #Vikings

http://www.cover1.net/2017/08/bills-vs-vikings-impressions/

QB Nathan Peterman

The rookie quarterback from the University of Pittsburgh had a lukewarm day. There were passes that sailed completely off target, but then there were passes that couldn’t be any more accurate. By the end of the game he compiled a 52% completion percentage for 112 yards and one beautiful touchdown in the back corner of the end zone to WR Dez Lewis.

The Vikings didn’t ease him into the NFL by any means, as they blitzed him on 16 out of 28 drop backs. But I thought he handled it well, standing in there and taking some big shots, and also running the ball when the defense was in man coverage. Although the Bills’ drive stalled, he showed poise, anticipation, and trust in his receiver Daikiel Shorts on two straight plays late in the fourth quarter.

It's a sunken cost though. They are either going to pay Matthews $10M or Watkins $12M.

In terms of elite receivers Julio last year and Demaryius Thomas the year before.

Where are you getting $12 mil? From what I see online franchise tag for a receiver is $15 mil and that's if we decide we want to franchise him instead of just extending him. For a player with injury concerns who has never lived up to his potential. I understand your view but I can't agree with it.

Demaryius Thomas is not an elite receiver and has never been paid like one. He's on the borderline though and I think that's exactly what the Bills are going for.

Where are you getting $12 mil? From what I see online franchise tag for a receiver is $15 mil and that's if we decide we want to franchise him instead of just extending him. For a player with injury concerns who has never lived up to his potential. I understand your view but I can't agree with it.

Demaryius Thomas is not an elite receiver and has never been paid like one. He's on the borderline though and I think that's exactly what the Bills are going for.

Demaryius Thomas had 105 catches and over 1,300 yards in their Super Bowl year. You wouldn't call that elite? 7th in both catches AND yards with a broken down Manning and Osweiler as his QBs. You wouldn't saying that $43.5M in guarantees is being paid like an elite receiver?!? At $70M total contract value there is exactly 1 receiver making more (Julio).

An average of $12M a year would make him the 7th highest paid receiver in the league. https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

Demaryius Thomas had 105 catches and over 1,300 yards in their Super Bowl year. You wouldn't call that elite? 7th in both catches AND yards with a broken down Manning and Osweiler as his QBs. You wouldn't saying that $43.5M in guarantees is being paid like an elite receiver?!? At $70M total contract value there is exactly 1 receiver making more (Julio).

An average of $12M a year would make him the 7th highest paid receiver in the league. https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

Did he just say DT wasn't an elite wr? He was a top 10 wr, at times top 5, before last year.

What is going on with this board? Have the Bills' mediocrity just killed fans' ability to know elite talent?

Enthusiasm duely tempered as it was late in preseason game 1 with and against guys who will be looking for jobs soon, but Peterman acquitted himself well in his first outing. He threw some passes over the middle and threw some timing passes. He looked pretty poised for his first game action.

Let's see how he does the remainder of the preseason. For now, optimism with lots of grains of salt.

Enthusiasm duely tempered as it was late in preseason game 1 with and against guys who will be looking for jobs soon, but Peterman acquitted himself well in his first outing. He threw some passes over the middle and threw some timing passes. He looked pretty poised for his first game action.

Let's see how he does the remainder of the preseason. For now, optimism with lots of grains of salt.

....a reasonable assessment bud and pretty much what folks were hoping for...a glimmer......long way to go before being dubbed the "greatest invention since beer"...BUT....stay tuned anyway..............

All I am reading today is the draft capital to get a QB in next year's draft .... is it just me or did no one like what Nate showed on Thursday? First drive as a pro ... drove down the field and scored ... in the fourth scrambled for good 1st downs .. and then hit Taiwan Jones perfectly on 4th down on the 5 yard line .. but he turned his head to run and dropped the ball ...likely could of been game tying score.

This kid went to Clemson last year and beat #1 in a shootout against D. Watson ... I like what I saw and yes only one game and yes against 2nd/3rd string .. but certainly better than what I saw from Yates vs. the Vikes ... but given the lack of comments and I am island?

We will finally get our franchise QB, don't be scared of it, embrace it. Peterman will be a solid backup to him.