Nate Peterman Love .. anyone vs. 2018 QB draft??

You don't pass on a guy 5 times in the draft if you think that he's your guy.

Yeah, you've already said that and means absolutely nothing as high draft picks fail and lower round pick pan out as good/great every year.

Tyrod was a 6th rounder.

Edited by old school

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No chance, the Bills aren't getting all of this draft capital to build around a guy that they passed on like 5 times in the draft. That should tell you how confident they are in him becoming the guy.

Right, Oak drafted Cook after Carr started to pick up, if the value is there they will pick up, wipe the dirt off a rook, and sell at a higher price. They are playing the long term game while pulling the short term wool over the fans eyes.

Nathan Peterman looks like a career backup QB.

They drafted our new Frank Reich.

Edited by Marty McFly

Yeah, you've already said that and means absolutely nothing as high draft picks fail and lower round pick pan out as good/great every year.

Tyrod was a 6th rounder.

I know but if they believed that he was the guy they would have taken a swing earlier. Peterman isn't going to play this year barring a trade or an injury. He isn't going to have a chance to show that he is the guy of the future. Without a decent sized sample of great performances they will be taking someone next year early. That's the point that people are missing. They aren't going to have Peterman sit on the bench this year and skip this great QB class on the slim chance that the guy they took in the 5th last year is the guy. The timeline doesn't line up for Peterman unless TT gets hurt or traded.

I know but if they believed that he was the guy they would have taken a swing earlier. Peterman isn't going to play this year barring a trade or an injury. He isn't going to have a chance to show that he is the guy of the future. Without a decent sized sample of great performances they will be taking someone next year early. That's the point that people are missing. They aren't going to have Peterman sit on the bench this year and skip this great QB class on the slim chance that the guy they took in the 5th last year is the guy. The timeline doesn't line up for Peterman unless TT gets hurt or traded.

Like I said if eyes were already towards 2018 before 2017 draft in regards to the QB position and with Taylor, Jones, and Yates on the roster why draft Peterman at all?

In the 5th round and he won't amount to anything like you say, why did they draft him? Unless they had their eye on him the whole time and wanted him earlier but were diligent, smart and lucky that they got him in the 5th. Guys slip in the draft all the time, every year and contrary to your belief I think Peterman does start at some point this year or there was really no point to drafting him.

Nathan Peterman looks like a career backup QB.

umm he played ONE pre-season game and fared pretty well. hahah this board knows all, huh?

I love how 26CornerBlitz was calling someone a troll for bashing Tyrod Taylor and even cried enough to get him banned yet he thinks it's OK to completely crap on a player who has only played 1 preseason game.

I love how 26CornerBlitz was calling someone a troll for bashing Tyrod Taylor and even cried enough to get him banned yet he thinks it's OK to completely crap on a player who has only played 1 preseason game.

You act as if I said he sucked. I said he looked okay in his first preseason game action and I project him to be a career backup QB. Not exactly crapping on him.

BTW, there is a difference between critique and straight trolling that you have obviously yet to discern.

The good news is that while all of us fans can have our arguably and potentially legit theories about a 5th round QB not having any future for this tam, reality says this decision is gonna be decided on the field with pre-season performance and then with whatever the realities of performance or injury provides for Tyrod, Peterman, or some fantasy QB to merge in the 2018 draft.

Will Tyrod be the answer?

Unlikely but possible.

Will Peterman be the answer?

Even more unlikely but possible.

Is some 2018 draft phenom the answer?

Even more unlikely but possible?

We'll see

If someone offered us a first round pick for TT, right now, do you take it?

I do!!!

This would be the perfect scenario.

If Peterman panned out= WOW

If not, we should be in the catbird seat at the beginning of next years draft.

Like I said if eyes were already towards 2018 before 2017 draft in regards to the QB position and with Taylor, Jones, and Yates on the roster why draft Peterman at all?

In the 5th round and he won't amount to anything like you say, why did they draft him? Unless they had their eye on him the whole time and wanted him earlier but were diligent, smart and lucky that they got him in the 5th. Guys slip in the draft all the time, every year and contrary to your belief I think Peterman does start at some point this year or there was really no point to drafting him.

A few things I think that they drafted him because he represented good value at that point. I also think that he can be a long term, good #2. Maybe he does amount to more but they aren't going to not hitch their wagon to a guy in 2018 because of him. They've loaded up on draft assets to try to ensure that they can get a top guy. If they get a top guy Peterman won't have a chance again. It's as much timeline as anything else. Now if they trade TT or he gets hurt they will get a long look at Peterman and things can change.

If someone offered us a first round pick for TT, right now, do you take it?

I do!!!

This would be the perfect scenario.

If Peterman panned out= WOW

If not, we should be in the catbird seat at the beginning of next years draft.

I think that the Bills should trade TT and McCoy now. They are like a 6 win team IMO right now. That will have them picking like 8th behind some QB needy teams. I'd rather be 3-13 with a shot at a top guy (and still a bunch of assets).

All I am reading today is the draft capital to get a QB in next year's draft .... is it just me or did no one like what Nate showed on Thursday? First drive as a pro ... drove down the field and scored ... in the fourth scrambled for good 1st downs .. and then hit Taiwan Jones perfectly on 4th down on the 5 yard line .. but he turned his head to run and dropped the ball ...likely could of been game tying score.

This kid went to Clemson last year and beat #1 in a shootout against D. Watson ... I like what I saw and yes only one game and yes against 2nd/3rd string .. but certainly better than what I saw from Yates vs. the Vikes ... but given the lack of comments and I am island?

It would be cool if he became the guy but think he is a quality backup based on his college career.

I think that the Bills should trade TT and McCoy now. They are like a 6 win team IMO right now. That will have them picking like 8th behind some QB needy teams. I'd rather be 3-13 with a shot at a top guy (and still a bunch of assets).

And boom goes the dynamite.

He had some good plays and some bad. He looked okay, but that was a helluva lot better than what Yates showed.

So 26, is Peterman still TJ Yates with less experience?

Looks to me like he has a chance to be the # 1 backup entering the regular season or soon after.

I was impressed with him. I would like to see a little more arm strength on certain throws but we all know thats a work in progress.

What he showed was consistent with his tape, which is not bad imo. I like his mobility and how he keeps his head up scanning the field on broken plays. Thought he hung in the pocket pretty well when the protection was not completely lacking (which it was on 2 or 3 snaps). Accuracy was ok if a little spotty at times. His mates dropped two passes that were perfectly thrown and that would have extended drives or resulted in scores. To me the best thing is that he seems capable of throwing with anticipation. He can visualize the development of the action. Processing (progressions) remains a big question mark. Against starting calibre defenders a couple of his throws would probably have been picked off. But above the shoulders its pretty clear that he possesses at least some of the attributes of a QB.

He's got a long way to go obviously but I wouldn't hurry to any firm conclusions just yet. He might turn out to be more than a career backup. I see him right now as just a notch below JG in NE when that came into the league and everybody sees Jimmy as potential starting material. Do you think Goff or Lynch are that far ahead of NP right now?

For sure the Bills are setting up to pick a franchise prospect next year but wouldn't it be nice if they could use that draft capital on other position players. Could really jump start the rebuild.

Edited by starrymessenger

So 26, is Peterman still TJ Yates with less experience?

Looks to me like he has a chance to be the # 1 backup entering the regular season or soon after.

I was impressed with him. I would like to see a little more arm strength on certain throws but we all know thats a work in progress.

What he showed was consistent with his tape, which is not bad imo. I like his mobility and how he keeps his head up scanning the field on broken plays. Thought he hung in the pocket pretty well when the protection was not completely lacking (which it was on 2 or 3 snaps). Accuracy was ok if a little spotty at times. His mates dropped two passes that were perfectly thrown and that would have extended drives or resulted in scores.

He's got a long way to go obviously but I wouldn't hurry to any firm conclusions just yet. He might turn out to be more than a career backup. I see him right now as just a notch below JG in NE when that came into the league and everybody sees Jimmy as potential starting material. Do you think Goff or Lynch are that far ahead of NP right now?

For sure the Bills are setting up to pick a franchise prospect next year but wouldn't it be nice if they could use that draft capital on other position players. Could really jump start the rebuild.

Peterman was okay. Didn't impress or stink it up. He just does not wow me. If he beats out Yates, that's not really saying much.

Peterman was okay. Didn't impress or stink it up. He just does not wow me. If he beats out Yates, that's not really saying much.

He is just a prospect. What is the thing that you see as so definitely limiting his development? Lack of prototypical physique? EJ, Jamarcus and lots of others had that. What worries me is I thought I saw him staring down his receivers. even if its one read and pull the trigger you cant do that and survive on Sundays.

He is just a prospect. What is the thing that you see as so definitely limiting his development? Lack of prototypical physique? EJ, Jamarcus and lots of others had that. What worries me is I thought I saw him staring down his receivers. even if its one read and pull the trigger you cant do that and survive on Sundays.

His decision making and accuracy were inconsistent. I can't see him ever being a guy who'll scare teams with the deep ball given the lack of arm strength and he's 23 years old already.

All I am reading today is the draft capital to get a QB in next year's draft .... is it just me or did no one like what Nate showed on Thursday? First drive as a pro ... drove down the field and scored ... in the fourth scrambled for good 1st downs .. and then hit Taiwan Jones perfectly on 4th down on the 5 yard line .. but he turned his head to run and dropped the ball ...likely could of been game tying score.

This kid went to Clemson last year and beat #1 in a shootout against D. Watson ... I like what I saw and yes only one game and yes against 2nd/3rd string .. but certainly better than what I saw from Yates vs. the Vikes ... but given the lack of comments and I am island?

Jeff Tuel 2.0..

His decision making and accuracy were inconsistent. I can't see him ever being a guy who'll scare teams with the deep ball given the lack of arm strength and he's 23 years old already.

I'm more concerned with wanting to see a little more zip on some intermediate throws than the long ball.

I look forward to seeing more of him in preseason. I think he should be given more snaps/playing time than Yates. In Yates you pretty much know what you have. With NP you don't know yet imo, but it behooves you to find out.

Yates is straight garbage, Peterman should be the backup.

He hasn't really done much to prove that though. He's been about as bad as Yates in camp and he had some marginal success in mop up duty in the first preseason game. He's the unknown so naturally he's going to hyped up more than he needs to be.

He hasn't really done much to prove that though. He's been about as bad as Yates in camp and he had some marginal success in mop up duty in the first preseason game. He's the unknown so naturally he's going to hyped up more than he needs to be.

Everyone loves the backup.

He has potential where as Yates is a known commodity.

It's important to remember there is no game planning going into these early games.

Coach calls a play, you try to do it.

Coaches choice may have more to do with a different positions evaluation i.e. O' Leary getting blown up in short yardage and some blaming the back.

ever take note that he was also throwing to 3rd and 4th stringers? good play is good play. if he were bad, people would find the negative. if he played well then "ohh it was again 3rd and 4th..."

again, you can't have it both ways. good play is good play. why would any one expect a rookie fresh to the league to perform lights out against starters? it has to start somewhere.

Yeah that whole line of thinking doesn't make sense to me. Playing with 2s and 3s is why he only scored 1 TD instead of 2. In preseason I don't look at how good the rest of the players are, I just watch the QB and see if he's making smart decisions and good throws. The actual result is pretty much meaningless. Peterman showed a lot to like and also some things he needs to work on. It's so early.

That's what I've been saying since the trade. I'm with a joesixpack on this. Don't dip your toe in the water; do a cannonball.

If they were tanking this would make sense, but they aren't. They are trying to win now and win tomorrow, that's about what you should expect from a new regime that doesn't know what it has yet. They are NOT going to do the Whaley model of selling out the future for moderate results now. They're building a Super Bowl team, not a one-off wildcard. But they're also not going to tank the season because maybe Tyrod takes the next step, they want to see what he can do with a bunch of solid but non-elite guys around him.

Yeah that whole line of thinking doesn't make sense to me. Playing with 2s and 3s is why he only scored 1 TD instead of 2. In preseason I don't look at how good the rest of the players are, I just watch the QB and see if he's making smart decisions and good throws. The actual result is pretty much meaningless. Peterman showed a lot to like and also some things he needs to work on. It's so early.

If they were tanking this would make sense, but they aren't. They are trying to win now and win tomorrow, that's about what you should expect from a new regime that doesn't know what it has yet. They are NOT going to do the Whaley model of selling out the future for moderate results now. They're building a Super Bowl team, not a one-off wildcard. But they're also not going to tank the season because maybe Tyrod takes the next step, they want to see what he can do with a bunch of solid but non-elite guys around him.

...and that is my whole issue with this plan. They got worse for 2017 (they didn't even deny that in the presser) but didn't get bad enough to move to the top of the draft. Those bad teams are going to be taking a QB so your draft capital is irrelevant. We are "half-pregnant" to steal a term from Wrecks.

If the goal is a top QB, go and get him!! You aren't doing that from pick 8. The Jets, 49ers, Browns, Dolphins, Cardinals, Skins and Jags all may be picking before you and all have the same idea. You have to be worse than those teams. TT and Shady still keep this team competitive.

So if your goal was to compete now, you keep Watkins and Darby and compete. If your goal was to build for the future than finish the tear down and bottom out. Don't win 6 games.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

...and that is my whole issue with this plan. They got worse for 2017 (they didn't even deny that in the presser) but didn't get bad enough to move to the top of the draft. Those bad teams are going to be taking a QB so your draft capital is irrelevant. We are "half-pregnant" to steal a term from that Wrecks.

If the goal is a top QB, go and get him!! You aren't doing that from pick 8. The Jets, 49ers, Browns, Dolphins, Cardinals, Skins and Jags all may be picking before you and all have the same idea. You have to be worse than those teams. TT and Shady still keep this team competitive.

So if your goal was to compete now, you keep Watkins and Darby and compete. If your goal was to build for the future than finish the year down and bottom out. Don't win 6 games.

We will just agree to disagree. Frankly I don't think it's possible to say this was a good or bad move until we see how they use the picks and otherwise spend the salary cap next year. I don't even care what Sammy does. If Goff wakes up and they become a dynamic duo that doesn't mean the trade was bad, sometimes players fit better after a fresh start (like Hughes). If we spend the picks wel and our cap situation looks good then this was a successful trade.

We will just agree to disagree. Frankly I don't think it's possible to say this was a good or bad move until we see how they use the picks and otherwise spend the salary cap next year. I don't even care what Sammy does. If Goff wakes up and they become a dynamic duo that doesn't mean the trade was bad, sometimes players fit better after a fresh start (like Hughes). If we spend the picks wel and our cap situation looks good then this was a successful trade.

What that I said are you disagreeing with?

I thought Peterman looked good for his first showing. But let's not get crazy.

Worst case scenario we take another guy and pull a Pats when some qb starved team offers us a first for Peterman down the line.

One position you never worry about having too much talent is qb. People are always buying.

After the trade, it's a given they're going for a quarterback high in the draft. Since I think the Bills will still be competitive this season, that means packaging picks and moving up. Even if Taylor is very good and the team slips into the wild card, it won't make any difference. Trading away your top receiver and cornerback for meh players & mid-range picks only makes sense in terms of Draft Day drama. The fan base only buys into this deal as leading to a god-like QB in the next draft. Don't give'em that and a mob will be after Beane & McDermott with pitchforks and torches. Personally, I don't think a second & third draft pick is worth the box they've put themselves in - much less the value of the traded players - but we'll see.

Edited by grb

I thought Peterman looked good for his first showing. But let's not get crazy.

Worst case scenario we take another guy and pull a Pats when some qb starved team offers us a first for Peterman down the line.

One position you never worry about having too much talent is qb. People are always buying.

No one knows what Peterman's value is - and the Vikings game did nothing to settle it one way or another. But pulling "a Pats" really only works if you're a Pat; pulling a "Bills" would be a little bit harder. Take Garoppolo as an example. Obviously people have seem him play a few games - on an extremely talented team for an accomplished organization - but they really don't know that much about him either. It's only the reflected glow of Brady & Belichick that have people lusting after Jimmy. There's really no reason to assume he's any better than Cassels or Mallet, but people want to believe.

Getting them to want to believe in Peterman might be a bit more difficult.....

Edited by grb

No chance, the Bills aren't getting all of this draft capital to build around a guy that they passed on like 5 times in the draft. That should tell you how confident they are in him becoming the guy.

This could have ended the thread 2 minutes in. But of course it didn't.....

No one knows what Peterman's value is - and the Vikings game did nothing to settle it one way or another. But pulling "a Pats" really only works if you're a Pat; pulling a "Bills" would be a little bit harder. Take Garoppolo as an example. Obviously people have seem him play a few games - on an extremely talented team for an accomplished organization - but they really don't know that much about him either. It's only the reflected glow of Brady & Belichick that have people lusting after Jimmy. There's really no reason to assume he's any better than Cassels or Mallet, but people want to believe.

Getting them to want to believe in Peterman might be a bit more difficult.....

That's a fair point. I'm just saying that although I was encouraged by what I saw from Peterman in his first outing. It would take nothing short of Taylor getting injured and Peterman taking us to the playoffs for me not to want the Bills to go for our guy next year.

And if we do end up taking our guy. The very worst thing that can happen if Peterman is any good (and this would have to be proven to us and the league in some fashion or another) would be that we have a good backup, trade bait, etc... From a fifth round pick.

Edited by likei've

I think by all Training Camp accounts the Bills messed up and should have taken Mahomes or Watson at #10.

"training camp accounts" = laughable

Every training camp Taylor's the next great pocket passer.

Edited by likei've

You keep repeating that line... when all of us at this point are just guessing. I saw a lot of good but do I know if he project as a bust or a 2 or 1... NFW. At this point his development looks good but we shall see... by the way how many pull up can he do... who cares.

I think by all Training Camp accounts the Bills messed up and should have taken Mahomes or Watson at #10.

. Watson looked zoned in on his receivers and would have had 3 picks against a real defense based on how he locked in on one receiver. Again nfw anyone can accurately project these guys nor if their coaches can develop them properly.