OR do you make your own?

Edited by mead107

Started this because of the shout box discussion

A vodka sauce?

Spaghetti sauce?

White sauce?

Something with a little kick?

Had Classico roasted garlic sauce.

I could never imagine myself ever eating pre-packaged sauce from a can or jar of any kind.

As a full blooded Italian, its sacrilege..

I always buy Newman's Own marinara, vodka and alfredo sauce.

We had a friend/house guest insist on cooking for us one night. It turns out....he doesn't know how to cook. I just remember a jar of the worst alfredo sauce....no.... the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth. That was a decade ago and I've never had an alfredo sauce since. I suspect that's the last time as long as I live.

Wifey makes a killer all day red sauce. But that ain't happening in the warm weather months. There's a lot to be said about the first football Sunday of the season when thats on the stove. Fortunately she makes a ton in the cold months and freezes the extra. Was pleasantly surprised there was still some left a week or so ago. In between we'll have jar sauce, probably Trader Joe, not sure.

She also makes a great vodka sauce semi-regularly, but that's small batch, relatively quick to cook and little in the way of leftovers.

Hardly ever use a red sause on pasta anymore...usually I am an Olive Oil/Garlic/Black Pepper if pasta is the side.

If making a quick red sauce to use on top of a chicken parm , i will brown some garlic, red pepper and shallot in olive oil, throw in a 28oz can of crushed san marzano tomatoes, add a teaspoon of sugar, and let simmer for 30 minutes.

Just before adding to dish, will throw in a bunch of julienned fresh basil...pretty damn easy and quick

we only do the homemade stuff, (my mother in law is the one who quaterbacks it now). it simmers for hours on sundays while we watch football. it's a red sauce loaded with meatballs, sausage, pork, and on occasion pigs feet. when going out to eat, and if the place is know to be good, i love to try the vodka sauce.

Started this because of the shout box discussion

A vodka sauce?

Spaghetti sauce?

White sauce?

Something with a little kick?

Had Classico roasted garlic sauce.

OR do you make your own?

Make my own.

4 cans Tutturoso crushed tomatoes.

1.5 pounds beef

2 onions

Fresh garlic

Two green bell peppers

Pack of hot sausages

Mushrooms

Brown the meet, add the sauce, cut up all the additions and add them. Sprinkle in a ton of pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder. Cook on medium low for 4-5 hours. If the sausages aren't cooked before hand you may want to leave it at a low boil for awhile.

For every 2 cans of sauce you use add one can of water.

Edited by Commonsense

Was at a an accounting few years with a Sicilian family of sisters in the secretary pool, I'm afraid to say anything even 15 years later because they'd attack it as Ragu and cake-eating bilge water.

My parents used to make sauce from their own tomato's they would grow. I've never found any jar/can type sauce that even comes close to how theirs tasted.

My grandmother gave me her recipe and I have tried 10-15 times to make it. It tastes pretty good, but I can't seem to make it nearly as good as hers. The tricky part is there is just a list of ingredients...no measurements. She just knew how much of everything from making it a zillion times. My grandma made her "tomato gravy" at least once a week always on Monday.

My grandmother gave me her recipe and I have tried 10-15 times to make it. It tastes pretty good, but I can't seem to make it nearly as good as hers. The tricky part is there is just a list of ingredients...no measurements. She just knew how much of everything from making it a zillion times. My grandma made her "tomato gravy" at least once a week always on Monday.

That's because you aren't a grandma. In my family it is the meatballs. No one seems to be able to duplicate my grandmother's. Happiness was a day at school when lunch was a meatball sandwich. Until now I had forgotten the experience.

If I want sauce I'm either going to a restaurant that I trust or committing the 10 hours that it takes me to make a pot. That's one thing that I'm extremely picky about.

You really don't need sauce to cook for 10 hours. Some, yes, like a bolognese. But you can make an amazing spaghetti sauce in just a coupleathree hours and avoid all the processed sugar-filled crap from the store.

Here's my gig...

Slice up a pound of Italian sausage and saute it over medium high heat in olive oil in a large sauce pan. Cook them well and let them brown the bottom of the pan. When they're done, pull them out and add in one diced onion and one diced head of garlic (just put them together in the Cuisinart. And yeah, the whole head of garlic.)

Use the moisture from the onions to scrape up all the brown bits, and after few minutes add an 8 oz can of tomato paste. (Personally I like the concentrated paste in a tube.) Once the past is warmed through with the onions and garlic, add a cup of dry red wine and bring it to a boil to burn off the alcohol while continuing to stir up the ingredients. As the red wine starts to reduce, stir in two to three 28 oz cans of crushed San Marzano tomatoes. This is my go to.

While that cooks, brown the ground beef. After 30 minutes, add the sliced sausages and (drained) ground beef into the sauce. Keep low heat and stir frequently for another 60-90 minutes. Just before serving, chiffonade some fresh basil leaves and stir them in.

You really don't need sauce to cook for 10 hours. Some, yes, like a bolognese. But you can make an amazing spaghetti sauce in just a coupleathree hours and avoid all the processed sugar-filled crap from the store.

Here's my gig...

Slice up a pound of Italian sausage and saute it over medium high heat in olive oil in a large sauce pan. Cook them well and let them brown the bottom of the pan. When they're done, pull them out and add in one diced onion and one diced head of garlic (just put them together in the Cuisinart. And yeah, the whole head of garlic.)

Use the moisture from the onions to scrape up all the brown bits, and after few minutes add an 8 oz can of tomato paste. (Personally I like the concentrated paste in a tube.) Once the past is warmed through with the onions and garlic, add a cup of dry red wine and bring it to a boil to burn off the alcohol while continuing to stir up the ingredients. As the red wine starts to reduce, stir in two to three 28 oz cans of crushed San Marzano tomatoes. This is my go to.

While that cooks, brown the ground beef. After 30 minutes, add the sliced sausages and (drained) ground beef into the sauce. Keep low heat and stir frequently for another 60-90 minutes. Just before serving, chiffonade some fresh basil leaves and stir them in.

Sounds good

That's because you aren't a grandma. In my family it is the meatballs. No one seems to be able to duplicate my grandmother's. Happiness was a day at school when lunch was a meatball sandwich. Until now I had forgotten the experience.

Good meatballs are unbeatable. I make mine two parts ground beef to one part ground veal and one part ground pork (other ingredients, obviously). Make them large, fry them on the stove and finish them in sauce. I eat them like Adam Sandler in "The Wedding Singer."

6qBI7u.gif

I usually use the basic Ragu sauce, but I make a meat sauce out of it adding ground chuck, diced onion and bell pepper, crushed garlic, and a generous blast of red wine.

Alfredo is way too easy to make to even consider buying it - and fresh Alfredo tastes so much better.

Here's my gig...

I very rarely make a sauce like this, but I'm tempted to try this one for the hell of it. It sounds really good, and it would give me an excuse to finish the bottle of wine (and maybe the one that came home with it... :) ).