Jeremy Maclin (Agrees to 2 year deal with Ravens)

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly

I think on the outside people view Sammy as an elite deep guy. The reality is he can do it all. He can kill you in a possession role as well.

how is that exactly? by dropping short throws over the middle? which is what he did constantly in 2 years here, count his screen plays...there has been 1 in 3 years, because he absolutely sucks with his back to the defense. obviously afraid to get re injured is why, but still he has sucked for 3 years in that regard.

how is that exactly? by dropping short throws over the middle? which is what he did constantly in 2 years here, count his screen plays...there has been 1 in 3 years, because he absolutely sucks with his back to the defense. obviously afraid to get re injured is why, but still he has sucked for 3 years in that regard.

Smart take, said nobody ever...

Watkins & WRs isn't your area of expertise obviously.

Edited by r00tabaga

He has 9 career drops. Is that constantly? 3.26% drop percentage, I think you need to use the Google.

He has 9 career drops. Is that constantly? 3.26% drop percentage, I think you need to use the Google.

How dare you offer fact to the re enlightener! His hot take was the product of seconds of mental research!

Yeah, I think that $7M/year is a little steep. A 1-year $4-5M deal I could live with.

Why is it steep? He is a consistent 1000 yard receiver when healthy. I'd say that's the going rate, even at 29.The 4.5 would work if he had fewer suitors, but sadly for us he doesn't.

Don't bother.

He has something against Sammy.

He basically makes outlandish statements about him just for entertainment purposes.

Facts don't matter

Maclin combine - 4.45. Woods - 4.51. Watkins - 4.43

I've always thought of Maclin as a guy who doesn't have top end speed but enough speed to get deep. Woods had barely enough deep speed.

There's no question that Maclin, when healthy, is a deep threat. I think of him as an elite #2 receiver (or a marginal #1). If healthy, Sammy and Maclin on the field together would be one of the best tandems in the league.

Im aware if their combine speeds Shaw. But there really is a difference when you are wearing a helmet, pads, and gear required to play the position. Thats why I posted the website that showed a recorded speed of maclin along with others in the field in 2015, as such he had a top five speed out of all players recorded in 2015. Faster than watkins albeit not by much. Playing football as you know is much different than running in shorts and a shirt.

Don't bother.

He has something against Sammy.

He basically makes outlandish statements about him just for entertainment purposes.

Facts don't matter

Outlandish statements don't win people over. You just end up looking like an idiot.

If you have something against Sammy I'd probably talk about his availability. At least it has some merit.

We don't know what he wants, but the Bills know exactly what he wants. Both sides are pretty direct about what they want in these things. If they're close enough that they think they can make a deal, they talk about how they could restructure to get enough of what both sides want. Obviously, that process wasn't able to bridge the gap in Buffalo. Maybe it will work for Maclin in Baltimore, and maybe it won't. If it won't, he'll reconsider his own idea of his value and keep looking.

It's important to remember that teams have wildly different views of the value of players. The value to any given team varies with the teams' cap situation, the talent it has at the same position, the age of the talent they have, the impact they think the player would have on the team's play. Beane and McDermott think about factors like that and other factors, and they decide what it's worth to pay for the player. The circumstances at the Ravens will generate a different number. It doesn't mean Beane was wrong and the Ravens guy was right. (Much like the Gillislee decision - just because he was worth $4 million to the Pats doesn't mean that he was worth $4 million to the Bills.)

this is some very fine perspective and should be noted as such.

on Occasion it seems perspective gets muddled.

I don't really trust people that talk about themselves in the third person, but that's just me.

On the other hand, my very frugal uncle used to talk about himself in the third person. If McBean is frugal and that is why Maclin left without signing, I'm ok with that, or should I say, "Dulles is ok with that."? For a couple years, our front office seemed to be like the parent who always lets the kiddos come home with a new toy on every shopping trip. McBean seems to be more like the parent who isn't prone to impulse spending. Case in point: our new LB. We wanted him, but they waited to see what the market really demanded. I like that type of negotiation.

This comment reminded me of a few years back when the Mets current GM held onto his young talent at the trade deadline instead of making a splashy move. Mets fans were rewarded with a World Series appearance a few years later that was based in large part on the young talent that was retained.

I'm still in favor of bringing Maclin in, but it should be done on sensible terms. Won't be able to judge the FO on this until he signs somewhere, but they didn't make an impulsive offer despite moving quickly to bring him in for the visit. Both are encouraging signs to me.

Edited by LI_Bills

I think that outsiders would say that the Bills need a solid possession guy to go with gamebreaker Sammy. We, and the Bills, likely feel we have that in Zay Jones and we want a deep threat to complement Sammy and Zay, allowing Jones to play the slot as a rookie.

seems correct

Very plausible...I also think $14 million total over 2 years is the magic number....if the Bills were at $4.5 million guaranteed for 2017 and $9.5 team option for next year...they met the standard but Condon didn't like the mix. I think the Bills held back a million shift to 2017 to respond to the Ravens offer if there is one. The old regime would have put all the chips on the table. The new regime says we have a great situation for Maclin here-- he would thrive -- but lets make sure we don't get shopped and then not have a response. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an agreement to check with the Bills before signing anything with another team.

well posted JoeF

Reading some tonight on twitter about how the Ravens always get their man when they target a UFA.....smug MFers...would love for the Bills to take them down a notch...

Not even to stick it to them, but would hate for Maclin to make a play as a Raven around that AFC-wildcard-deciding time of the year that helps them to a big win. Would love for him to make that play for the Bills.

Reading some tonight on twitter about how the Ravens always get their man when they target a UFA.....smug MFers...would love for the Bills to take them down a notch...

Why? If your biggest issue is with the Ravens, you are looking in the wrong places.

Why? If your biggest issue is with the Ravens, you are looking in the wrong places.

Smug confidence more than anything...its almost Patriots like. I was more expressing that it would be nice to win one of these true head to head matchups for a player against a team and organization that is deemed superior by most pundits. That's it...

Or make people accept them.

Waking up with a horse head in your bed makes some people reconsider.....

Not that I'm advocating that, but if you have an extra horse head laying around....

Smug confidence more than anything...its almost Patriots like. I was more expressing that it would be nice to win one of these true head to head matchups for a player against a team and organization that is deemed superior by most pundits. That's it...

I loved the Ravens smug confidence. They were the only team in the AFC that was never afraid of the Pats* and were able to beat them and beat them up.

FIRE WHALEY

Really made me laugh!

yep. Rochester has the best Tortas ever.

Fast food mexican, is fast food

BTW i will recommend a tiny little Family owned Taqueria hidden in East Rochester named Guacamole .

Those attending St John this season should be sure to stop in

Hey, fast food Mexican is not fast food! Awesome tip on the Roch Taqueria! Agree that everyone should go there and skip Chili's near the thruway. If that's even still there. Been a while since I went to Bills camp.

FIRE BRANDON BEANE

Also made me laugh.

165 followers but fwiw

@bud_rocks

Maclin contract fell apart on guaranteed $ the #Bills were firm on a partial deal with incentives of games played & performance bonuses!

I got no problem with the Bills laying out a plan and sticking with it. I trust this crew now. We are rising.

Do you think Harbaugh lets Maclin get out of Baltimore If he really wants him?

I can hear him now, gearing for another championship run, Flacco can get you the football, I know Tyrod Taylors limitations,

yada, yada ,yada

sigh...

Very true but a man's got to know his limitations. Tyrod can't excel Flacco at the end of the day so, it is what it is. C'est La Vie

So much for McCoy being such a great recruiter. He couldn't even get his close friend to sign with the Bills.

Hmmm, will they show me the money I want? If we're millions apart friendships shouldn't matter. Well it wouldn't for me if I wanted 7 and was offered 4 I would also be travelling to B'More. Then Den then wherever my agent steered me.

Gerald Hodges left a couple of weeks ago without a contract went to the Giants and came back a day later to sign with the Bills so you never know. And I personally wanted Hodges a lot more than I do Macklin.

This Hodges guy has the under the radar signing winning the off season title. Tell me why? I'm certainly not knocking it and ask respectfully. I hope he is the unexpected payoff for us.