Polian told by Bills exec Dareus must 'Ship up or Ship out"

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills had no chance last year because Ryan was an AWFUL coach and their best offensive player (Watkins) and their best defensive (Dareus) were UNRELIABLE for different reasons.

McDermott is trying to cover for this happening again in 2017, so we will see how it goes.

The Bills CANNOT be anything if Watkins and Dareus prove to be unreliable again. I guess this is why they wanted an extra first for next year, just in case this scenario plays out again.

No team can function if you have a bad coaching staff and your very best players on both sides of the ball are unreliable.

The Bills CANNOT be anything if Watkins and Dareus prove to be unreliable again. I guess this is why they wanted an extra first for next year, just in case this scenario plays out again.

What they can be is a team not held hostage by overpaid, under-performing 'stars'. Shape up or ship out is how winning teams do it.

Most of that dead money is dead because it's guaranteed, not because it's the unamortized remains of his signing bonus.

If they traded him or waived him and someone picked up the contract, it wouldn't cost us nearly that much in dead money. But whether we would be able to do that is questionable. Maybe, maybe not.

And yeah, he has established a pattern and patterns are hard to break. Hope he manages it.

Yup. Let me close my eyes and imagine it.

Unh hunh. Unfortunately, what's coming up is multiple Pro Bowls and a Hall of Fame career.

Beckham's a jackass, but a good teammate.

all about the team! http://nyp.st/2qXZB48

@ChrisBrownBills

McDermott on Marcell: the time he's put in I couldn't be happier at this pt. When you're a pro consistency the key. #Bills

all lip service.....means absolutely nothing.

a reminder of what McD said about Kouandjio a week before cutting him.

On May 15, new Buffalo coach Sean McDermott fielded a question about Kouandjio during a press conference and commented on the tackle's injury while bypassing the April (wandering in a farm field in his underwear and taken to the hospital)incident.

"He's on track," McDermott said. "He's doing a nice job, and I like the look in his eye. And again a credit to Cyrus and our medical team. He's rehabbing similar to (wide receiver) Kolby (Listenbee) and doing a nice job with it."

http://www.al.com/sp..._offseason.html

all lip service.....means absolutely nothing.

a reminder of what McD said about Kouandjio a week before cutting him.

On May 15, new Buffalo coach Sean McDermott fielded a question about Kouandjio during a press conference and commented on the tackle's injury while bypassing the April (wandering in a farm field in his underwear and taken to the hospital)incident.

"He's on track," McDermott said. "He's doing a nice job, and I like the look in his eye. And again a credit to Cyrus and our medical team. He's rehabbing similar to (wide receiver) Kolby (Listenbee) and doing a nice job with it."

http://www.al.com/sp..._offseason.html

If it doesn't confirm your bias of a 75% chance that he'll be suspended again or a 10% chance that he'll play at a Pro Bowl level, then of course it means nothing. Your mind is made up with your scientific percentages and any information that runs counter to that is BS. Comparing comments about Kouandjio or Listenbee are ridiculous when it's obvious that Dareus is one of the most important players on the Bills' roster. You can like that or not, but it is what it is.

The Bills had no chance last year because Ryan was an AWFUL coach and their best offensive player (Watkins) and their best defensive (Dareus) were UNRELIABLE for different reasons.

McDermott is trying to cover for this happening again in 2017, so we will see how it goes.

No team can function if you have a bad coaching staff and your very best players on both sides of the ball are unreliable.

Dareus is not their best defensive player. He missed more than 1/2 his possible snaps and played terrible on 1/2 of those he played.

The problem is people think Dareus is good....no he is not...he potentially could be good....

potentially Percey Harvin can be good...he is not.

judgement of players must be on actual performance not dreams.

Dareus is not their best defensive player. He missed more than 1/2 his possible snaps and played terrible on 1/2 of those he played.

The problem is people think Dareus is good....no he is not...he potentially could be good....

He's better in a 4-3 vs. the 3-4.

Problem with Dareus is he's only good when he wants to be. He's got all the talent in the world as we've seen in selective games. But he just reminds me too much of Haynesworth.

Problem with Dareus is he's only good when he wants to be. He's got all the talent in the world as we've seen in selective games. But he just reminds me too much of Haynesworth.

I think Dareus is a guy that easily checks out when he's not happy...like the last 2 years.

He dominated under Pettine and Schwartz because he was happy and wanted to play hard.

You get some guys that are motivated no matter what, you have some that have to be happy. Dareus is the latter.

His contract is another reason Whaley and crew got fired

Not just Dareus contract, but the Bills contract situation as a whole.

As I understand it, the structure of contract responsibility with the Bills went something like this:

1) coaching staff and GM both assign importance to player (comparable players on other teams, how critical he is to our team).

2) Monos (for low money guys) or Overdorf (for big money guys) drafted contract offer and negotiates with agent. Keep in mind Overdorf reported thru Lamattina to Brandon

3) GM reviews final contract and presents to player

Whaley (in his notorious presser) claimed final responsibility for presenting the contracts, but his background was not in finance or contracts and he openly acknowledged the help he was getting from Overdorf and Monos with the cap. Obviously the above is a set-up for diluted accountability. The result has been some pretty awful contracts - leaving out needed protections for the club and sometimes being overly lavish with the guaranteed money.

(Someone here, not remembering who, had a buddy in the business in Seattle whose evaluation of the Bills FO was that their talent evaluation was pretty good but they struggled in valuing talent appropriately, which aligns with this)

I think that is what McDermott saw when he got on board and went through the organization, and the major goal in firing Whaley and crew/bringing in Beane was to literally and figuratively have more of a "bean counter" GM with better cap management skills.

If they keep Overdorf in the present structure I'm skeptical, if Overdorf either goes, or takes a reorganized position reporting to the GM there is hope for improvement here.

I think Dareus is a guy that easily checks out when he's not happy...like the last 2 years.

He dominated under Pettine and Schwartz because he was happy and wanted to play hard.

You get some guys that are motivated no matter what, you have some that have to be happy. Dareus is the latter.

Hardly...

http://buildingtheherd.com/film-room/marcell-dareus-buffalo-bills-secret-superstar-on-2015-defense-an-all-22-breakdown/

With our ex-Marine D line coach I figure Dareus either becomes a monster or a quivering mass of goo.

Small but crucial point, oldmanfan: there are no ex-Marines. Proper term: Former Marine.

Most of that dead money is dead because it's guaranteed, not because it's the unamortized remains of his signing bonus.

If they traded him or waived him and someone picked up the contract, it wouldn't cost us nearly that much in dead money. But whether we would be able to do that is questionable. Maybe, maybe not.

And yeah, he has established a pattern and patterns are hard to break. Hope he manages it.

Yup. Let me close my eyes and imagine it.

Unh hunh. Unfortunately, what's coming up is multiple Pro Bowls and a Hall of Fame career.

Beckham's a jackass, but a good teammate.

Multiple Pro Bowls and a Hall of Fame career....in Buffalo? With Young Nathaniel as O-coordinator followed by the Wrecks mess and the Bills QBs? It's called a pipe dream because it is only found in the opium pipe.

I'll take their word for it. The GIF's they showed looked good. Not sure what he looked like in other games. I just didn't see him as dominate as he used to be but I could be misinformed about that.

Serious question: is there any evidence of Dareus not giving full effort when he's not injured or suspended? Seems to me he goes all out when he's in there; the key isn't his attitude it's staying healthy and out of trouble.

I'll take their word for it. The GIF's they showed looked good. Not sure what he looked like in other games. I just didn't see him as dominate as he used to be but I could be misinformed about that.

He definitely wasn't, but it had as much to do with him playing to his responsibility as anything else.

Serious question: is there any evidence of Dareus not giving full effort when he's not injured or suspended? Seems to me he goes all out when he's in there; the key isn't his attitude it's staying healthy and out of trouble.

The key is to use him properly. He thrived under Schwartz and Petine. Rex wanted players to adjust to his scheme while a smart coach would have a philosophy underpinned by the notion of putting the player in the best position to succeed. In my mind Dareus is a top five or better interior lineman. Under Rex his production didn't match his talent level because he wasn't wisely used.

Dareus plays a position where stats don't always reveal how well a player plays or how important he is to the defense. Dareus's biggest talent when he is playing well is applying pressure up the middle. Not many interior lineman can consistently do that. He can when the right defense is called. Using him as a nose tackle is wasting his special talents.

Yay! Off-season tough talk!!!

Dareus will be a monster this year and be one of the best DTs in the NFL like he was when he signed his contract.

It's so funny how some people talk out of both sides of their mouth. If the Bills let MD walk after being an all pro DT, they are cheap.

Small but crucial point, oldmanfan: there are no ex-Marines. Proper term: Former Marine.

Multiple Pro Bowls and a Hall of Fame career....in Buffalo? With Young Nathaniel as O-coordinator followed by the Wrecks mess and the Bills QBs? It's called a pipe dream because it is only found in the opium pipe.

Thanks for correcting me on the Marines. Utmost respect for anyone who served.

I am with you here. It's gotta be off-field stuff. Certainly the staff couldn't have been happy with his hammy pull last year. He was obviously out drinking with Shady.

He definitely wasn't, but it had as much to do with him playing to his responsibility as anything else.

He was asked to be mostly a space-eater and he did a good job at that. Just not the kind of job you tend to notice while watching a game.

I think you can keep the racism stuff to yourself.

If I've read those salary numbers, he becomes way easier to trade / cut after the season. Makes a lot of sense they are going this route with him. Huge fan of his, but its hard to argue that the time to buckle down for him is now.

I was waiting for someone to touch that ignorant statement.

@ChrisTrapasso

In 2014, as a one-gapping 3T, Dareus was a Top 5 DT in football. He'll re-assume that role in McDermott's defense this season

There are some things (like this) that do give me hope for this next season

We have lost some pieces on defense and we are relying on some young players to take those spots....but the MAIN cogs of the defense seem to be going back to defensive schemes that they excelled at. If Marcel gets back on track this offense will look instantly better.

We found a way to improve our linebacking core LATE IN THE GAME....which was very nice.

On offense...the blocking schemes that the OL excelled at last year really have not changed.....the running game may still be very good.

I still think one of the biggest factors will be the change out of the coaching staff......hoping to be prepared to start the season.....less stupid penalties on both sides of the ball. Stop beating ourselves and force other teams to beat us

There are some things (like this) that do give me hope for this next season

We have lost some pieces on defense and we are relying on some young players to take those spots....but the MAIN cogs of the defense seem to be going back to defensive schemes that they excelled at. If Marcel gets back on track this offense will look instantly better.

We found a way to improve our linebacking core LATE IN THE GAME....which was very nice.

On offense...the blocking schemes that the OL excelled at last year really have not changed.....the running game may still be very good.

I still think one of the biggest factors will be the change out of the coaching staff......hoping to be prepared to start the season.....less stupid penalties on both sides of the ball. Stop beating ourselves and force other teams to beat us

Looking forward to seeing the tandem of Dareus and Kyle setting the tone up front in the new scheme.

always fun talking to friends who are Vice Principals at high schools, responsible for discipline.

Me: How'd your day go, friend?

Veep:Oh great...... 40 losers tromped through my office promising to stop using drugs and start getting up before 11am and coming to class and start studying and make it work out.

Me: how many of the 40 are going to do ANY of their promises.

Veep: I think a few over the last 10 years have turned it around, that makes it about a .01% success rate.