Polian told by Bills exec Dareus must 'Ship up or Ship out"

start winning and he'll get on board

Sorry - but that is utter bull ****!

The man is PAID to play ball - NOT paid to help "if" we become winners.

It is this kind of **** that sinks teams. If some don't have to carry their own weight others will also start "phoning it in".

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex was wasting Darius . In this d Darius should be excellent. As for the off the field stuff. They are all minor infractions the typical you adults do. The nfl holds thier players to a higher standard . Hopefully Darius learns this. on the other hand the Nfl should take a hard look at how silly it is to ban Weed and let the players use some hard core pain killers .

Sorry - but that is utter bull ****!

The man is PAID to play ball - NOT paid to help "if" we become winners.

It is this kind of **** that sinks teams. If some don't have to carry their own weight others will also start "phoning it in".

Couldn't agree more. It's especially true when the person in question is supposed to be a team leader and is the most highly paid player on the team.

Dareus has had his moments and he has not been a bust, but he does not play a premium position and there were generational talents taken at premium positions immediately after him. It is irrelevant that he was not considered a reach at the time. Although Dareus has talent, outside of TBD he is not considered a top five (or even top ten) interior lineman.

You know that I respect your take as always; I just can't get with that thought process. We simply don't have the benefit of hindsight when drafting guys.

Now, I suppose there's an argument to be made that the team should've had a better feel for the kid's mentality before drafting him, but again, without being inside the process, we don't know what information was or wasn't available to them at the time.

I picture Sean shaking Marcell and screaming "what's your major malfunction"

That would be funny, but the art of team-building is knowing how to handle different personalities. Maybe Dareus will respond to the hardline approach, and maybe he won't. My impression of him is that you need to strike a balance between letting him know you support him 100%, while also making the expectations of him clear.

Dareus has had his moments and he has not been a bust, but he does not play a premium position and there were generational talents taken at premium positions immediately after him. It is irrelevant that he was not considered a reach at the time. Although Dareus has talent, outside of TBD he is not considered a top five (or even top ten) interior lineman.

Prior to last year, Dareus was most certainly a top 5 interior lineman.

I think that's the message the front office is trying to send him - return to 2014 form and you can remain on the team.

I'm guessing Bills are closely watching what happens with Sheldon Richardson, another great talent with a 5 cent head.

Rex was wasting Darius . In this d Darius should be excellent. .

I have heard this (or the opposite) said about several players on our team already. I am curious what you know about our new D that leads you to make this statement. Are there previous players like Dareus, who have had success in the system, a previous similar scheme he has thrived in, etc.?

Seems like they have to endure him no matter what for 2018. That contract looks stupid.

I agree with you there. Too much loot on the table. He'll likely be here the next 2 years no matter what the circumstance. I really thought we had a monster in the making. Hopefully he can put it back together this year.

Fans would have hated it but we shouldn't have paid him. The Dareus contract arguably sunk Whaley more than any other decision. With so much cap space taken up by one player he was handicapped in what he could do.

The big issue with the contract wasn't the money, it was that the FO conceded to a provision that protected Dareus from the team recouping guaranteed money in the event of a drug-related suspension.

That, IMO, is inexcusable.

The big issue with the contract wasn't the money, it was that the FO conceded to a provision that protected Dareus from the team recouping guaranteed money in the event of a drug-related suspension.

Given the prior history, it was a big mistake no doubt. Points directly at Overdorf.

On NFLR, per Wild Bill, if Dareus doesn't play well and off field 'issue-free', he's outta here. He added that with the high cost of Watkins (losing a #1) when they (we) could have had Beckham staying at our spot, the EJ fiasco and Marcell all recent 1st Round pick misses, is the reason we're where we are today.

To Marcell, I agree with Big Red. He has shown spectacular play at times, but keeping him on the field and committed has been a real problem.

Finally someone thats going to hold these players accountable regardless of cap hit. Thats all I read, we cant get rid of him dyr to cap hit. Well Dareus has that same thought.

Just to be devil's advocate - what if his agent said we'll go into free agency if you need that language in the contract. Would you have let him walk?

Given the prior history, it was a big mistake no doubt. Points directly at Overdorf.

It points at everyone involved--there's no way that Whaley/Littman/Overdorfdidn't approve that contract. I also put that on Russ, since the Pegulas hadn't taken over at that point, so he would've signed off on it as well.

Just to be devil's advocate - what if his agent said we'll go into free agency if you need that language in the contract. Would you have let him walk?

I would've told him that we'll tag him next offseason. That language is standard boiler plate in NFL contracts--Dareus' contract is the exception, not the norm.

I realize fully well that you aren't making that argument, so please excuse the stern tone of my response.

Plenty of revisionist history in this thread that ignores Dareus playing at an All-Pro level in a 4-3 scheme. No reason to think that a demanding taskmaster like Waufle can't get the most out of the enormous talent that Marcell has.