• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcell DEAD MONEY:

2017 - $38.3 mil

2018 - $22.2 mil

2019 - $7.8 mil

2020 - $1.4 mil

Dareus QUIT on his teamies.... like Mario.....just in a different way. drug suspension, out of shape....

i'd say it's about 75% likely he gets suspended again.

Seems like they have to endure him no matter what for 2018. That contract looks stupid.

pretty obvious and he likely knows his situation better than bill or anyone here. that said, I don't see where he will be any problem for the team and will be back to form under the new staff/scheme.

of course it makes for good discussion for those who have never made mistakes in their life, the perfect straight line folks to continue to knock him and show no faith...

I just hope this new "all star" front office doesn't build a team full of Chris Kelsey's. At some point actual talent is needed, not just a bunch of "lunch pail"/"high motor" slow lighter skinned guys.

I think you can keep the racism stuff to yourself.

If I've read those salary numbers, he becomes way easier to trade / cut after the season. Makes a lot of sense they are going this route with him. Huge fan of his, but its hard to argue that the time to buckle down for him is now.

pretty obvious and he likely knows his situation better than bill or anyone here. that said, I don't see where he will be any problem for the team and will be back to form under the new staff/scheme.

of course it makes for good discussion for those who have never made mistakes in their life, the perfect straight line folks to continue to knock him and show no faith...

You don't see where a scenario where he could get suspended again? I wonder if you thought the same thing about Josh Gordon, Blackmon, Bryant and on and on we go. 99 is a high risk and it isn't even debatable.

What does Dareus's mistakes have to do with any Joe Blow's screw ups? He is paid handsomely to perform and hasn't done much of it since inking a huge deal. With big checks comes big responsibility.

Can we circle back to the original post? I've read it a few times and I'm not clear on what's being reported.

Are you saying that Polian said that A BILLS EXEC TOLD HIM that if Darius screws up he's going to be let go?

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Can we circle back to the original post? I've read it a few times and I'm not clear on what's being reported.

Are you saying that Polian said that A BILLS EXEC TOLD HIM that if Darius screws up he's going to be let go?

I hope not, because, wasn't all this FO turnover supposed to get rid of the leaks?

for those worried about passing on troubled talent

PRO BOWL players picked after Dareus in 2011

#4 - aj green

#5- patrick peterson

#6- julio jones

#9 - tyron smith

#11- jj watt

#15 - mike pouncy

That hurts. Anyone who thinks Dareus is in the same universe as those guys is delusional. He was a bad pick and an example of the perils of drafting for need. Edited by mannc

If folks watched the Jacksonville/Pittsburgh/Cleveland games and think Marcell quit on his team, well, I cannot understand what they were seeing.

As to whether or not they can cut him, their first opportunity to do so would be as a post-June 1st 2018 designation, which would save them $2.2M against the cap. They could also trade him after June 1st 2018, which would save over $10M against the cap.

I just hope this new "all star" front office doesn't build a team full of Chris Kelsey's. At some point actual talent is needed, not just a bunch of "lunch pail"/"high motor" slow lighter skinned guys.

Might be the dumbest !@#$ing comment I ever read on this board...Yeah, Chris Kelsay only had 30 sacks, five fumble recoveries, two safeties, and four interceptions as a DE. Meanwhile Dareus was our team leader that allowed Ajayi to rush for 30,000 yards on two separate occassions. The skin color of players have nothing to do with this...give me a team of Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexanders and I'm happy.

That hurts. Anyone who thinks Dareus is in the same universe as those guys is delusional. He was a bad pick and an example of the perils of drafting for need.

He was hardly a bad pick at the time; he was widely considered one of the best players in that class.

I'll admit that there were a vocal minority of us that wanted JJ Watt, but most folks thought Cam/Von Miller/Dareus/AJ Green were the elites in that class.

Also, Dareus was a wrecking ball in '13 and '14. I don't excuse his off-field behavior, but the fact that Rex's defense adversely affected every player along the defensive front can hardly be ignored here.

No real surprise here. McD has come across as a no nonsense guy who just leads by example (commitment, hardwork, dedication) and expects the same from everyone else. He just wanted to let Dareus know that there was a new sheriff in town and the circus was over. Get on the bus or get left behind.

To hold the superstars to a higher standard is just good business because when everyone else sees you are willing to take out the lead dog they step a little higher, a little harder, a little faster.

Might be the dumbest !@#$ing comment I ever read on this board...Yeah, Chris Kelsay only had 30 sacks, five fumble recoveries, two safeties, and four interceptions as a DE. Meanwhile Dareus was our team leader that allowed Ajayi to rush for 30,000 yards on two separate occassions. The skin color of players have nothing to do with this...give me a team of Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexanders and I'm happy.

Completely agree.

I think they are both great players, but need to start/keep producing. Watkins needs to stay healthy and get targets and dareus needs to stay motivated and give 100%. Hopefully the new coaching staff can bring out the best of both of them making them the star players they should be.

Exactly this.

I hope this report from Polian is bogus only in the Bills' supposed reasoning of why they want Dareus to be better. Winning teams aren't built using the logic of "well, we spent X on Y, so we can't afford to spend A on B" even though both are great players but play different positions. Winning teams are built on the premise that each player needs to play up to his potential or he's gone whether he's a first round draft pick, a super star, or a special teams player. Dareus needs to perform up to the level of talent that earned him his big contract, and having Watkins on the team is irrelevant since they don't even play on the same unit. Polian's description of the Bill's reasoning on Dareus reeks of the "put butts in the seats" philosophy that's resulted in 17 years of no playoffs.

If both are playing up to their superstar potential, then the Bills need to figure out how to accommodate their big contracts under the cap while staying within the cap -- and without gutting the current team or mortgaging their future. Other teams manage to do it, and contrary to the claims back a decade or more ago, they manage to not only stay competitive for several years but to build dynasties as well.

If one or both aren't producing, then they should be gone but on their own merits, not because of the stupid idea that there's already another expensive player on the team.

Dareus is the most talented player on that side of the ball, any hope for improvement on the defense starts with a healthy motivated 99. With his talent and contract all everyone can do is hope that he chooses to take football a bit more seriously. He currently has OBD hostage if that loophole in his contract is in fact true for his drug suspensions.

He was hardly a bad pick at the time; he was widely considered one of the best players in that class.

I'll admit that there were a vocal minority of us that wanted JJ Watt, but most folks thought Cam/Von Miller/Dareus/AJ Green were the elites in that class.

Also, Dareus was a wrecking ball in '13 and '14. I don't excuse his off-field behavior, but the fact that Rex's defense adversely affected every player along the defensive front can hardly be ignored here.

Dareus has had his moments and he has not been a bust, but he does not play a premium position and there were generational talents taken at premium positions immediately after him. It is irrelevant that he was not considered a reach at the time. Although Dareus has talent, outside of TBD he is not considered a top five (or even top ten) interior lineman.

If folks watched the Jacksonville/Pittsburgh/Cleveland games and think Marcell quit on his team, well, I cannot understand what they were seeing.

As to whether or not they can cut him, their first opportunity to do so would be as a post-June 1st 2018 designation, which would save them $2.2M against the cap. They could also trade him after June 1st 2018, which would save over $10M against the cap.

If Dareus was traded now, the Bills would get hit with $20.6M in dead money. If done before next season dead money would be $10.44M, but at least the team would see a small net increase in cap space.

Trading him is reall the only option in the near term, but I'm not sure it's much of a threat. Either way he's getting paid and it's not like he's getting shipped out of a Super Bowl contender or particularly desirable city. (I love Buffalo, but don't tell me Dareus wouldn't rather be in Miami or LA.) This contract for this player is Exhibit 1-A on why Whaley had to go.

Here's a link for anyone wanting contract details. Note the tab for different cut dates/trade. That can be used with the year tabs to quickly see what the impact of cutting/trading players is at different times.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills

Edited by BarleyNY