Polian told by Bills exec Dareus must 'Ship up or Ship out"

Well, pencil me in for Dareus having a great year. I believe when he is used correctly and can attack the QB he is one of the top DT's in the NFL.

I think everyone is all for this, skepticism is at the same time fully warranted, both for him and the Bills as a team to cheer for.

Looking forward to the great things happening on the field in real games when it matters.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we circle back to the original post? I've read it a few times and I'm not clear on what's being reported.

Are you saying that Polian said that A BILLS EXEC TOLD HIM that if Darius screws up he's going to be let go?

TO me it reads that Dareus (who is somehow now a Bills exec), told Polian (who doesn't work for the Bills) that he better ship up or shape out.

Polian told by Bills exec Dareus 'Ship up or Ship out"

It's FASCINATING.

But for real, I think it's good that the team is telling these guys to get their act together, but agreed that the structure of his contract seems to lead you to believe that he won't actually be shipped out in the short term.

Can we circle back to the original post? I've read it a few times and I'm not clear on what's being reported.

Are you saying that Polian said that A BILLS EXEC TOLD HIM that if Darius screws up he's going to be let go?

Yes

I just hope this new "all star" front office doesn't build a team full of Chris Kelsey's. At some point actual talent is needed, not just a bunch of "lunch pail"/"high motor" slow lighter skinned guys.

Or you know...Kyle Williams. Lunch pail guy, light skinned...lots of talent. I wouldn't mind having a team full of Kyle Williams.

And I love it. Other Orgs. Most likely wouldn't have put up with this BS this long, but they wouldn't have given him that huge extension either.

Rex had nothing to do with his off the field issues. That is part of the ship up part.

Rex had plenty to do with his off-field issues, by setting the example of not giving enough of a crap to hold his players accountable, or for that matter, himself and his lard-ass brother.

He was hardly a bad pick at the time; he was widely considered one of the best players in that class.

I'll admit that there were a vocal minority of us that wanted JJ Watt, but most folks thought Cam/Von Miller/Dareus/AJ Green were the elites in that class.

Also, Dareus was a wrecking ball in '13 and '14. I don't excuse his off-field behavior, but the fact that Rex's defense adversely affected every player along the defensive front can hardly be ignored here.

He wasn't too bad in '15 either. Just the entire defense stunk. But in '15 he was a major contributor in the final two minutes of two games we won. The Titans and final Jets game. He got to both Mariota and Fitz hitting there arm in mid-throw and causing interceptions in both instances. They don't go down as sacks but those plays were more valuable then an actual sack.

TO me it reads that Dareus (who is somehow now a Bills exec), told Polian (who doesn't work for the Bills) that he better ship up or shape out.

It's FASCINATING.

But for real, I think it's good that the team is telling these guys to get their act together, but agreed that the structure of his contract seems to lead you to believe that he won't actually be shipped out in the short term.

The headline should read: "Bills give Dareus option to enter free agency while enduring self-inflicted cap hit."

Rex had plenty to do with his off-field issues, by setting the example of not giving enough of a crap to hold his players accountable, or for that matter, himself and his lard-ass brother.

This passage caught my eye in the BB.com recap of the OTAs.

There’s an uptick in the pace and tempo of Bills practices already evident in the first OTAs. Players hustle from drill to drill with limited down time and there’s a sharp focus on detail and assignments.

New Bills GM Brandon Beane says McDermott reviewed Bills practice sessions from last year on video and saw a need for a more up tempo approach.

“One of the things Sean talked about was he wasn’t fired up about some of the things he saw in last year’s practices, pulling them up (on video),” Beane said this week in an appearance on The John Murphy Show.

Also brings back a quip that a PFF reporter made to John Murphy after visiting Bills & Steelers camps last year, and commented how Steelers' practice was shorter but was much more productive and organized.

The big issue with the contract wasn't the money, it was that the FO conceded to a provision that protected Dareus from the team recouping guaranteed money in the event of a drug-related suspension.

That, IMO, is inexcusable.

Not only that, it was a bit of a head scratcher when they gave a guy with motivational issues the most guaranteed money in the league at his position. That's precisely the guy you give the big incentive-laden contract to. Then coaches would have some leverage with him. Might have lost him, but you have to draw a line somewhere.

It's FASCINATING.

:lol:

Yeah, not my best effort. I was trying to get the point in under the max character limit.

When Beane took over, in one of his first interviews he said there is a saying that goes something like: There are "guys that play professional football," and then there are "professional football players"...and he favors the latter.

Dareus needs to decide which camp he wants to be in. He has all the skills to be a world beater in this league. The way his contract is written, as we all know, essentially allows him to fail another drug test and get paid to not play football. Or, he can decide he wants to be a force in the league.

I said "outside TBD". Show me a list of top five interior linemen that included Dareus.

It's not as necessary to have excellent interior DL with the modern NFL.

Dareus is entering his 7th season and he's demonstrated that conditioning isn't a priority. That might work when you're 22 or 23, but not after the wear and tear of 6 seasons in your rear view mirror. I would expect his missed games to increase if his work ethic doesn't improve.

It's not as necessary to have excellent interior DL with the modern NFL.

Dareus is entering his 7th season and he's demonstrated that conditioning isn't a priority. That might work when you're 22 or 23, but not after the wear and tear of 6 seasons in your rear view mirror. I would expect his missed games to increase if his work ethic doesn't improve.

What's the only proven way to beat Tom Brady?

Marcell DEAD MONEY:

2017 - $38.3 mil

2018 - $22.2 mil

2019 - $7.8 mil

2020 - $1.4 mil

Dareus QUIT on his teamies.... like Mario.....just in a different way. drug suspension, out of shape....

i'd say it's about 75% likely he gets suspended again.

That's an absolute load of crap.

Fun fact, he never actually failed a drug test.

Immature idiot, sure, but quitter? Absolutely not.