Polian told by Bills exec Dareus must 'Ship up or Ship out"

Most of that dead money is dead because it's guaranteed, not because it's the unamortized remains of his signing bonus.

If they traded him or waived him and someone picked up the contract, it wouldn't cost us nearly that much in dead money. But whether we would be able to do that is questionable. Maybe, maybe not.

And yeah, he has established a pattern and patterns are hard to break. Hope he manages it.

I broke down the cap consequences of cutting versus trading Dareus earlier in the thread. He still has $20.6M of unamortized bonus money on the books now. It would be very, very difficult to even trade him due to that. He sure can't be cut due to the guaranteed salaries on top of that and he's not eligible to be waived since he has more than 4 accrued years in the league. The Bills are stuck with him for this season for sure. Trading him before 2018 would still hurt, but be manageable. If he screws up again this season I can't see anyone wanting him even at his base salaries though. In that scenario he just wouldn't be tradeable unless we pulled a Houston-Cleveland style trade. We're stuck with him for awhile regardless of what the FO or HC is saying. Edited by BarleyNY

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

perhaps not. I'm not on the he's just going to slap it in neutral train. I believe under a new staff/system (back to 4 3) he will dominate and make all the naysayers either happy he did or mad because they were wrong...?

this.

..I hope I'm dead wrong and the top to bottom new regime puts a new bounce in his step (without reinjuring the ankle....)...........

Marcell DEAD MONEY:

2017 - $38.3 mil

2018 - $22.2 mil

2019 - $7.8 mil

2020 - $1.4 mil

Dareus QUIT on his teamies.... like Mario.....just in a different way. drug suspension, out of shape....

i'd say it's about 75% likely he gets suspended again.

A suspension gets the Bills off the hook for part of that money if he goes out for 10 games, and a whole season of money if he fails the next time. This might be the only soft landing for the Bills, unless Big Puff knuckles down and plays lights out football.

Edited by bigK14094

I just hope this new "all star" front office doesn't build a team full of Chris Kelsey's. At some point actual talent is needed, not just a bunch of "lunch pail"/"high motor" slow lighter skinned guys.

You don't feel that "darker skinned guys" can be high character?

You don't feel that "lighter skinned guys" can be talented and athletic?

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I think Marcell can be the best DT to ever play in the NFL, he just has to want it. He is at his crossroads in Buffalo right now, if he gets suspended he needs to be traded or released. I hope he chooses football and he gets his life in order because he could be one of the greatest of all time.

@salsports

McDermott: "Marcell Dareus is buying in to what we're doing and what Coach Waufle is asking of him."

@ChrisBrownBills

McDermott on Marcell: the time he's put in I couldn't be happier at this pt. When you're a pro consistency the key. #Bills

this is what matters, what the coaches are seeing and guess what, it's positive.

the naysayers are not going to be happy that their opinions will not become fact. big stuff is going to be a key, along with the new staff, in turning this defense around in 2017...

IMO

This is positive as well in Dareus' own words and actions. Supporting a cause like making a difference in the lives of Haitian children could really give him focus. It's a way to honor his father's family..hopefully a great step.

https://theundefeated.com/features/buffalo-bills-marcell-dareus-haiti/

Doing stuff like this is really good for those who have suffered personal tragedy, on top of generally being awesome.

Really fantastic article btw, I wish it got more attention here. Everyone seems focused on the bad that Marcell has done in the past, and not the potential for good in him.

Edited by Dorkington

what a horrible contract this guy was given

you have to ask yourselves would the patriots

ever give out a contract like that to anyone...

awful

Will all do respect...they have given out a contract to a DT who they later had to cut in Haynsworth.

The difference is they were able to overcome it because their strength of their team was on the offensive side of the ball.

Doing stuff like this is really good for those who have suffered personal tragedy, on top of generally being awesome.

Really fantastic article btw, I wish it got more attention here. Everyone seems focused on the bad that Marcell has done in the past, and not the potential for good in him.

i just read it and agree.

Will all do respect...they have given out a contract to a DT who they later had to cut in Haynsworth.

The difference is they were able to overcome it because their strength of their team was on the offensive side of the ball.

IIRC it was Washington that gave him the huge contract.

McDermott and Frazier have both recently said that Dareus has 100% bought-in and that his excitement level is as high as anyone's. Playing in that 3-4 really miffed a lot of dudes on defense. Yeah yeah yeah, I can hear some people now clamoring about "they're being paid, they have to execute" I get it, I agree. But the problems went beyond those guys not buying in. It really started with Rex who tried his "hybrid" scheme in 2015 and then brought in Rob last season. And as we know now, numerous players felt that there were far too many cooks in the kitchen with the defense.

I've always felt like it's the smart move to keep schemes simple, coach up to your players natural skills and let them go out there and play fast. You hear it constantly when coaches are asked to evaluate young players: "Well, once he has his head wrapped around the playbook and can just go out and play fast and not think too much then he'll be fine." Rex had these dudes thinking too much which didn't allow them to play fast or play the style of defense they're capable of playing.

Now that he's back in a system he's more comfortable with and much better at, and he still has Kyle here to help him out, I expect a good solid bounce back year for Dareus.

McDermott and Frazier have both recently said that Dareus has 100% bought-in and that his excitement level is as high as anyone's. Playing in that 3-4 really miffed a lot of dudes on defense. Yeah yeah yeah, I can hear some people now clamoring about "they're being paid, they have to execute" I get it, I agree. But the problems went beyond those guys not buying in. It really started with Rex who tried his "hybrid" scheme in 2015 and then brought in Rob last season. And as we know now, numerous players felt that there were far too many cooks in the kitchen with the defense.

I've always felt like it's the smart move to keep schemes simple, coach up to your players natural skills and let them go out there and play fast. You hear it constantly when coaches are asked to evaluate young players: "Well, once he has his head wrapped around the playbook and can just go out and play fast and not think too much then he'll be fine." Rex had these dudes thinking too much which didn't allow them to play fast or play the style of defense they're capable of playing.

Now that he's back in a system he's more comfortable with and much better at, and he still has Kyle here to help him out, I expect a good solid bounce back year for Dareus.

I think we're all hoping/expecting him to buy into a scheme he's a natural fit for and show some much needed maturity off the field. He's made promises to this effect before..

Marcell DEAD MONEY:

2017 - $38.3 mil

2018 - $22.2 mil

2019 - $7.8 mil

2020 - $1.4 mil

Dareus QUIT on his teamies.... like Mario.....just in a different way. drug suspension, out of shape....

i'd say it's about 75% likely he gets suspended again.

Agreed....I'm not holding out much hope for Dareus...another disappointing "Role Tide"...

I think my least favorite thing about rex's defense was all the checks.

A - you cover this guy, unless he goes over there, then B will cover him. B - you cover THIS guy, unless A's guy comes in, then you cover him and pass your guy off to C. Oh and C- youre helping cover A's guy unless B's guy comes into your area. Oh.. and chris hogan? Dont bother covering him...