Polian told by Bills exec Dareus must 'Ship up or Ship out"

This is a new Bills team we will see now. No nonsense and no excuses.

And I love it. Other Orgs. Most likely wouldn't have put up with this BS this long, but they wouldn't have given him that huge extension either.

Rex was wasting Darius . In this d Darius should be excellent. As for the off the field stuff. They are all minor infractions the typical you adults do. The nfl holds thier players to a higher standard . Hopefully Darius learns this. on the other hand the Nfl should take a hard look at how silly it is to ban Weed and let the players use some hard core pain killers .

Rex had nothing to do with his off the field issues. That is part of the ship up part.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard this (or the opposite) said about several players on our team already. I am curious what you know about our new D that leads you to make this statement. Are there previous players like Dareus, who have had success in the system, a previous similar scheme he has thrived in, etc.?

I don't think anybody "knows" about our new D or the new coaching staff, except that they figure they can do better with what they've got than Rex Ryan, who was supposed to be a defensive genius, did. The Bills defense seriously under-performed during his two years here, especially last season. They were outright putrid last year -- almost as ineffective as they'd been under Chan Gailey despite a whole lot more talent -- and could never come up with the big play when they needed it.

Dareus is not going anywhere for atleast 2 seasons.

Too much dead money to let him go after 2017.

They can get out after 2018

Make him a June 1st designation and he can and will be gone. Sometimes you gotta take the short term hit for the long term results. I am praying this is the year he matures, grows up and becomes a leader.

I said "outside TBD". Show me a list of top five interior linemen that included Dareus.

i think he even led the league in sacks from a lineman a few years ago. at the time he certainly was the right pick. he just hasn't lived up to it.

Make him a June 1st designation and he can and will be gone. Sometimes you gotta take the short term hit for the long term results. I am praying this is the year he matures, grows up and becomes a leader.

Even with a June 1 designation his dead money after 2017 would be $11.1 against 2018 cap and another $11.1 against 2019. They will not release him after 2017. It will not happen.

You don't see where a scenario where he could get suspended again? I wonder if you thought the same thing about Josh Gordon, Blackmon, Bryant and on and on we go. 99 is a high risk and it isn't even debatable.

What does Dareus's mistakes have to do with any Joe Blow's screw ups? He is paid handsomely to perform and hasn't done much of it since inking a huge deal. With big checks comes big responsibility.

he'll be fine. it will be the stingiest naysayers that hopefully will be the happiest that he turned the corner. myself, I'm looking forward to his contribution to the defense and helping to lead them back to respectable form.

have a nice day...GO BILLS!!!

You know that I respect your take as always; I just can't get with that thought process. We simply don't have the benefit of hindsight when drafting guys.

Now, I suppose there's an argument to be made that the team should've had a better feel for the kid's mentality before drafting him, but again, without being inside the process, we don't know what information was or wasn't available to them at the time.

That would be funny, but the art of team-building is knowing how to handle different personalities. Maybe Dareus will respond to the hardline approach, and maybe he won't. My impression of him is that you need to strike a balance between letting him know you support him 100%, while also making the expectations of him clear.

Dareus had his best years with Pepper Johnson (a hardcore no-nonsense coach) and Schwartz (the buddy type coach). Maybe that was the balance he needed: Pepper on him 24/7 but the top boss on his side of the ball patting him on the back and giving him some props.

You try telling Pepper that you're not into working today... LOL

Edited by TheFunPolice

Dareus had his best years with Pepper Johnson (a hardcore no-nonsense coach) and Schwartz (the buddy type coach). Maybe that was the balance he needed: Pepper on him 24/7 but the top boss on his side of the ball patting him on the back and giving him some props.

So maybe Wauffle and Frazier will be the right combination for him?

So maybe Wauffle and Frazier will be the right combination for him?

Could very well be. That was what I meant to include in the post above!

You've got the nutty drill sergeant DL coach to be all over him and the DC to smooth things over.

It's the perfect mix. The HC also seems like a soft spoken guy who is demanding but leaves the intense in your face stuff to selected assistants. IMO it works best that way.

I like the direction this staff is going.

Edited by TheFunPolice

You try telling Pepper that you're not into working today... LOL

The Good Cop/Bad Cop act is a proven formula.

This is a new Bills team we will see now. No nonsense and no excuses.

try to minimize it

helps when the coach and staff isn't providing 98% of the nonsense and excuses

Dareus is done in 2 seasons like Haynesworth. He doesn't show the commitment to his body or love of the game to stick around in his 30s.

this is just your opinion and not a fact and likely wont transpire as you believe it will...which will be a good thing since chances are more likely he will be a force for some time to come. just my opinion of course.

The Good Cop/Bad Cop act is a proven formula.

Good cop/ Bad cop might work if the player in question had a contract that took money out of his pocket if suspended....that's not the case here. There is nothing...absolutely nothing that will light a fire under his lard ass. If he gets suspended again, he still collects dough. Thanks "Whales"...great work.

this is just your opinion and not a fact and likely wont transpire as you believe it will...which will be a good thing since chances are more likely he will be a force for some time to come. just my opinion of course.

Hmmm....

Good cop/ Bad cop might work if the player in question had a contract that took money out of his pocket if suspended....that's not the case here. There is nothing...absolutely nothing that will light a fire under his lard ass. If he gets suspended again, he still collects dough. Thanks "Whales"...great work.

funny you call him a lard ass. actually it's not funny but considering the source, some jock on a message board, it's to be expected...

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973