McDermott preaches character & integrity.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

College scouting have their reports done at the end of CFB and the team assembles its board in January. Things may move around slightly with FA and workouts but generally there aren't big changes because they know who they are and aren't paying, and players only drop significantly if they get injured or arrested. McD had a good idea who the Panthers wanted to take before he left. I think this is why he hired ECU WR coach. They probably had been scouting Zay closely and the coach established a strong reputation in the Panthers organization.

Edited by YoloinOhio

College scouting have their reports done at the end of CFB and the team assembles its board in January. Things may move around slightly with FA and workouts but generally there aren't big changes because they know who they are and aren't paying, and players only drop significantly if they get injured or arrested. McD had a good idea who the Panthers wanted to take before he left. I think this is why he hired ECU WR coach. They probably had been scouting Zay closely and the coach established a strong reputation in the Panthers organization.

Also, it's not like these players were unknowns. I'm sure every team had them ranked appropriately on their boards. Team visits were probably done after McDermott was hired. Can't see this being an issue.

I sure hope there was no collusion with Carolina's Asst GM Brandon Beane during the draft. If so I would find that VERY hypocritical and I for one would not want him to become the new GM of the Bills. Talk about having trust issues!

Be careful of trusting those that preach, most of the time, they are full of it.

Also, it's not like these players were unknowns. I'm sure every team had them ranked appropriately on their boards. Team visits were probably done after McDermott was hired. Can't see this being an issue.

correct -he was well aware from the scouting meetings all year that those were big targets of theirs, before he ever left the Panthers. He played the draft well with that knowledge. It's not like the pre draft visits are a secret either. I don't see the integrity issue at all. Edited by YoloinOhio

Exactly. McDermott knows that organization very well and was there when Carolina was scouting this year's draft. Why wouldn't he use that info to his advantage? Especially if he didn't fully trust our (now fired) scouting staff.

Plus, teams jump other teams every single year because they have some type of info/hunch that team will draft the player they want.

Like Kansas City just this year - they traded with us to get 10 because they were convinced New Orleans would take Mahomes, and come to find out after the draft NO did in fact love Mahomes and would have likely drafted him. Does that mean KC had a spy in NO office? Of course not.

So did Levy.

Very much so, and while the Bills have never won a Championship its very possible having an overabundance of good character was the driving force that helped carry the Bills to 4 straight Superbowls.

Edited by Figster

It is not a lack of integrity to use knowledge you have to your benefit. He had to risk trading picks to get in front to take a player which may or may not work out like it always does. You can guess what most of these teams want to do anyway based on their roster. He may have had a little more insider knowledge than normal but that happens all the time when coaches and players move around the NFL.

I sure hope there was no collusion with Carolina's Asst GM Brandon Beane during the draft. If so I would find that VERY hypocritical and I for one would not want him to become the new GM of the Bills. Talk about having trust issues!

There was no collusion, just paranoid bills fans who don't know how to handle something positive with this franchise.

I thought the very same thing when I first read the speculation. If Beane really tipped off the Bills, it would have been a very low integrity thing to do.

Beane was getting paid by the Panthers to help the Panthers. If he's going to help another club, he can't in good integrity cash his Panther paychecks.

But this is all just speculation.

BS. Win if he has a bird feeding him info. Good. I am glad he used it.

I thought the very same thing when I first read the speculation. If Beane really tipped off the Bills, it would have been a very low integrity thing to do.

Beane was getting paid by the Panthers to help the Panthers. If he's going to help another club, he can't in good integrity cash his Panther paychecks.

But this is all just speculation.

It's really less than speculation at this point...

The thing is...I follow the Panthers closely...I live down here and they are my Nephews team...ANYONE who follows the Panthers knows their near-desperate need for O-Line help...And they had gone with 2 RB/WR-types with their first two picks...So beyond that the Panthers were most likely going either DE or O-Line with that last pick in the 2nd Round...It was a pretty safe bet the Panthers were looking O-Line there...And McD, knowing this, wanted to make sure the Bills got their guy...I don't think for a second he knew if the Panthers were going to take Dawkins, and to be honest after hearing RR's reaction I think Moton was the Panthers guy all along anyway... B-)

Yeah...Riverboat Ron sounds really pissed... :lol:

Some Bills fans and media...Ugh...The damage these 17 years have done is irrevocable... B-)

I love the haughty dismissiveness.

Bills fans are just paranoid.....nothing bad ever happens to their team. :flirt::lol:

It was just hours ago that Terry P turned the natural gas feed valve to his Orchard Park dumpster to 10.

Instead of a torch like the Raiders do for AL..........maybe we should have an honorary guest light the dumpster before every home game.

Be careful of trusting those that preach, most of the time, they are full of it.

Amen to that, brother!

I love the haughty dismissiveness.

Bills fans are just paranoid.....nothing bad ever happens to their team. :flirt::lol:

It was just hours ago that Terry P turned the natural gas feed valve to his Orchard Park dumpster to 10.

Instead of a torch like the Raiders do for AL..........maybe we should have an honorary guest light the dumpster before every home game.

Don't kid yourself. A segment of the fan base loves chaos. It's exciting.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Very much so, and while the Bills have never won a Championship its very possible having an overabundance of good character was the driving force that helped carry the Bills to 4 straight Superbowls.

Na. I was talking about when he was GM. Remember the 06-07 seasons?

It's really less than speculation at this point...

The thing is...I follow the Panthers closely...I live down here and they are my Nephews team...ANYONE who follows the Panthers knows their near-desperate need for O-Line help...And they had gone with 2 RB/WR-types with their first two picks...So beyond that the Panthers were most likely going either DE or O-Line with that last pick in the 2nd Round...It was a pretty safe bet the Panthers were looking O-Line there...And McD, knowing this, wanted to make sure the Bills got their guy...I don't think for a second he knew if the Panthers were going to take Dawkins, and to be honest after hearing RR's reaction I think Moton was the Panthers guy all along anyway... B-)

Well, good. If we do hire Beane, I'll like and trust him more if he's not a cheat.

Is this still a thing?

Don't you think we would have heard of a complaint, or at the very least rumblings of an accusation from Carolina by now?

All indications are that Carolona got the offensive lineman that they wanted, even though we jumped them.

And Again, teams jump other teams in the draft every single year because they believe that am is targeting a player they want.

We even directly traded with a team doing that this year - Kansas City. They thought New Orleans wanted Mahomes and they were right. Oh no, maybe the NFL will strip Kansas City's first round pick next year... Bills are screwed now, since we hold it. They're taking our 1at round pick AND the 1st KC traded to us (joking, of course)

Any ounce of that is fan fabricated. We haven't heard a peep out of the Carolina orginzation about anything to that regard.

I'll quote McDermott again.

Steel sharpens steel.

I just liked that phraseology

It sounds like something Liberace said to the attractive piano repairman who, although initially confused, soon understood the phrase.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

It sounds like something Liberace said to the attractive piano repairman who, although initially confused, soon understood the phrase.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

No, of course not

We don't know whether any mischief occurred during the draft. I doubt it because those things have a way of leaking out.

McD was not supposed to wipe his memory before leaving the Panthers. Any knowledge he gained while he was there is his. If he took any materials (draft notes, video, etc.) with him, however, I'm sure that violated his contract.

Stepping back from the draft for a week, I think McD was just going hard to get his guys. He wants high character, experienced guys with talent. OK fine. The draft has players with some from each category, but our board probably looked very different from other teams.

Before the draft some people on this board said our biggest holes were CB, WR, RT, LB, and S. Well, it looks like McD agreed. He moved up and down the board to get players he wanted to fill those spots. It seems like he plugged the first 3 holes with day 1 starters. I'm unsure at this point about the late round LBs. [s may be set with Hyde (ok) and Poyer (ew) or get some veterans thrown at it like Tre Boston.] You may not agree with who he selected or how he did it, but you can't deny that he went out to plug those biggest holes.

If I were to guess by his actions, I'd say McD feels this team isn't that far from competing for a playoff spot. The rebuild might not last that long. At least, I hope it doesn't.

Edited by voodoo poonani

Nothing screams character like wearing an OJ Simpson shirt for you first picture as a Bill.

I see that shirt differently then most. Not a slam on OJ but a slam on police. The picture is just the opposite of the day OJ was chased in the multiple cop cars (evil white cops) chasing the one white bronco (innocent black man). I think the shirt was a poor play on BLM.