When Mcdermott says..."earning the right to win" he's righ

Billsfed

How many of you remember Jim Kelly?

How many of you have no idea who Jim Kelly is?? I don't blame you

Once upon a time this organization knew how to win. They essentially were the patriots of their time. The big bullies who pushed everybody around and Kelly was the in the forefront of that. A nightmare for anyone who even dared to try him

We can have that again. We will have it again

It will look different tho...picture the cowboys in 2016. That's your ceiling for the Bills this season

What's going to afford us the chance to be good is the young guy working his way to the top.

Dareus IMO will be the major recipient of his tutelage. That's what good coaching does

Everyday will be a struggle no doubt, but it will also be a triumph. There's something to be said for being a professional.

It all stems from our coach who is the the strong, yet silent type

How does invoking Jim Kelly relate to earning the right to win? As great as Jim was I never felt he fully committed to his craft. I also don't believe Club Marv was the best coaching strategy either. If that Bills team had the kind of discipline that I think Coach McDermott is going to bring, they might have been 6X Super Bowl champs. (89-94)

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Kelly wasn't the football god that everyone seems to be annointing him as..

He was above average, to great at times.

Four trips with no jewelry says otherwise.

Promo said it well.

Edited by George C

It even took Jim Kelly several years to figure out it wasn't about him, it was about the team.

The late 80's early 90's team had superior talent -- built by one of the best personnel staffs ever assembled -- Polian, Bulter, AJ Smith..etc. It took 4 years for them to assemble the parts and it took Darryl Talley to teach them how to win together.

The current team has talent but not talent comparable to the 4X Super Bowl team and make no mistake -- talent is the most important factor, but I agree that talent without hard work, focus, sacrifice and discipline won't win.

This is just dumb, he was a 1st ballot HOFer they don't just let above average QB's in.

If Alex Smith went to 4 straight super bowls, would they let him in?

Not comparing the two, just want to see what y'all think.

Edited by Elite Poster

Promo said it well.

LOL - "above average."

One of the best QBs of his generation, first ballot HOFer.

Promo said it well.

Give me an above-average qb today like that and I'll do a standing back-flip. In the Pantheon of QBs, he sits in the top 10 all-time. I'll take that every day.

If Alex Smith went to 4 straight super bowls, would they let him in?

Not comparing the two, just want to see what y'all think.

Maybe, it depends . How did he do it? Was he riding the coat tails of a historically great D, like say Trent Dilfer? Let's say AS did that four years in a row. I'd say no HOF. That said, the guy hasn't managed to win a playoff game.

Jim Kelly was a womanizing, boozing, self-congratulating punk from 86-96. He didn't become the man he is today till after his son was born. If we could transfer 2017 Jim Kelly into 1986 Jim Kelly I have no doubt we'd win a few championships.

Promo said it well.

HOF QB. I came to church this morning and had to witness this blasphemy?? Shame on you

Jim Kelly was a womanizing, boozing, self-congratulating punk from 86-96. He didn't become the man he is today till after his son was born. If we could transfer 2017 Jim Kelly into 1986 Jim Kelly I have no doubt we'd win a few championships.

What the heck has Bills fandom come to when " Kelly wasnt really that good."?

The coaches not reigning him in in the first SB is why we lost.

We got out played in the next two decisively!!!

And Dallas was the better team in the final one.

I assume you Kelly haters are TT jock sniffers. Guess what? Kelly couldn't play Defense in any of those Superbowls. He couldn't stop the run in ANY of them. All he could do was put up points. Against Washington he got the tar beaten out of him behind a leaky, injured line.

Put the boosey, womanizing, egotistical Kelly on the Marrone / Orton team with that D and Marrone is still our coach and Swartz is still are D coordinator and the other playoff drought is broken!!!!

To the new posters... You idiots..... Welcome to TBD😜

Edited by Buffalo Boy

I assume you Kelly haters are TT jock sniffers. Guess what? Kelly couldn't play Defense in any of those Superbowls. He couldn't stop the run in ANY of them. All he could do was put up points. Against Washington he got the tar beaten out of him behind a leaky, injured line.

Put the boosey, womanizing, egotistical Kelly on the Marrone / Orton team with that D and Marrone is still our coach and Swartz is still are D coordinator and the other playoff drought is broken!!!!

The fact Kelly had to be "reigned in" proves my point.

Also bravo for turning "not the GOAT" into being a hater.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

We're not all idiots

Heh. Don't forget the third-person self references back then either.

The first Super Bowl, Marv didn't have a curfew on the team and the team partied all week long and didn't take the Giants seriously after they destroyed the Raiders in the AFC Championship game and the Giants were playing with a backup QB. Also, neither the Bills coaches or players were smart enough to change their game plan when Belichek was dropping extra defenders in coverage and essentially giving the Bills the run.

The second Super Bowl, you can thank Coach Dickerson for running his mouth and insulting the Hogs, plus the d-bag from Harry Connick Jr's band for moving Thurman's helmet (Thurman would have scored a long TD on the 2nd play of the game).

The third Super Bowl, the Bills were outmatched, plus it didn't help that Levy only gave Reich very limited snaps as Kelly got reinjured and Reich came in and was not prepared.

The fourth Super Bowl, Bills had the lead at halftime, but it could have been more if Kelly wouldn't have tried a terrible shovel pass (which Jimmy Johnson saw during Super Bowl week), plus once Thurman fumbled and Dallas recovered it and ran it back for a TD, the Bills lost their momentum and couldn't recover.

Promo said it well.

Above average?! 😂😂

How would we be 6 time SB champs? We went 4 times and were soundly beaten 3 times. Only Norman's wide right was close.

We dominated a weak AFC but were not dominant in SBs.

We actually also had a 14-2 record against the NFC during that run. We saved our worst game for last :/

Happens when you play so many football games.

What Bills QB was better than Kelly?

That's not the argument. The original thread topic is "earning the right to win" and then the OP cited Jim Kelly. Then I pointed out, while being successful, Kelly was not an adherent of that philosophy.

Being the greatest Bills QB doesn't make him the paragon of achievement, or even a blueprint for the future. If anything Kelly is a moral of wasted potential.

How would we be 6 time SB champs? We went 4 times and were soundly beaten 3 times. Only Norman's wide right was close.

We dominated a weak AFC but were not dominant in SBs.

You forget we lost a close AFC championship to the Bengals in '89. Then the infamous Harmon drop in Cleveland in '90. Then we rattled off four straight.

That's not the argument. The original thread topic is "earning the right to win" and then the OP cited Jim Kelly. Then I pointed out, while being successful, Kelly was not an adherent of that philosophy.

Being the greatest Bills QB doesn't make him the paragon of achievement, or even a blueprint for the future. If anything Kelly is a moral of wasted potential.

You forget we lost a close AFC championship to the Bengals in '89. Then the infamous Harmon drop in Cleveland in '90. Then we rattled off four straight.

You said something about " not the GOAT" . He was the Bills GOAT.

I do agree that the coaching at the time left something to be desired.

However, Jim's learning curve was about maturity. You don't go in first ballot HOF and not have great effort.

George, Cutler, these are examples of skill sets w/o effort.