Robert Woods signing with Rams

I think he's a good #2 on a team like GB ... but not on the Bills given Tyrod's skill set.

Yep.

I think Tyrod was getting comfortable with him.........surely more than the scrubs that replaced he and Sammy........but still.....you want to be able to throw the ball deep on both sides of the formation.

Hogan was actually a better fit with Tyrod in that regard.

Still not good enough, IMO.....but gotta' have somebody to keep the safeties back and take you deep if coverage is rolled to Sammy.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? He had a NUMBER of opportunities to be an impact here and never did. Sammy has missed plenty of time where Woods was largely mediocre at best in replacement. And I don't want to hear about how its TT because a healthy Sammy has been highly productive with TT.

Woods is a middle of the pack #2 WR at best who has a real issue with keeping his feet, tripping, etc like I have never seen in a WR. He also struggles with ticky tack injuries. I was THRILLED when we drafted him, but he has been a disappointment and has never ceased his opportunities.

Re the falling, that was largely a 2015 issue and a function of playing with a torn groin (not a ticky tack injury). That weakness wasn't there in 2016. I agree with you overall about him being a middle of the pack #2, but I do think he's the type of player who'd excel in an offense like GB's.

Re the falling, that was largely a 2015 issue and a function of playing with a torn groin (not a ticky tack injury). That weakness wasn't there in 2016. I agree with you overall about him being a middle of the pack #2, but I do think he's the type of player who'd excel in an offense like GB's.

I don't disagree with you on the GB thing, but thats more of a function of a talented WR group around him and an Elite QB who can elevate the play of those around him, which is rare and only capable of a few QBs.

On the Rams, I honestly don't see him having much more of in impact than he had here. I don't think he's going to do much better than Stevie did after he was out of Buffalo personally.

In all fairness.......James Jones once caught 14 TD's with Rogers......he is like the anti-Tyrod for pedestrian level intermediate receivers........he can make them look very good.

I don't disagree with you on the GB thing, but thats more of a function of a talented WR group around him and an Elite QB who can elevate the play of those around him, which is rare and only capable of a few QBs.

On the Rams, I honestly don't see him having much more of in impact than he had here. I don't think he's going to do much better than Stevie did after he was out of Buffalo personally.

Agreed.

But one of Woods best qualities is he gets to the spot very very well. Good quality to have when team building

The amount of thread police on this board is astounding. Do they have to meet a quota?

are you criticising?

Just wondering...

"checks box on clipboard "

I think we will be drafting a WR with our 1st pick. FA WR's know that we are set up to run the ball a lot in 2017. I cannot see any WR's that will come here via FA that will be a upgrade to Woods.

I wish Woods would've gone to a team with a good QB because he would've been a nice FFL sleeper.

This makes me very sad, we had one of the worst receiver corps in the NFL last year, and now it's even worse without woods or goodwin. I guess we can throw it to our fullbacks?

Right with you bud :(

We are still a friggin farm team for the league. Draft decent high pick starters and let em walk. Was so pissed actually reading this today. I figured we would keep him after the QB restructure deal.

Right with you bud :(

We are still a friggin farm team for the league. Draft decent high pick starters and let em walk. Was so pissed actually reading this today. I figured we would keep him after the QB restructure deal.

Why would Woods stay? No receiver wants to catch 40 passes a year and be a lead blocker on most plays.

Why would Woods stay? No receiver wants to catch 40 passes a year and be a lead blocker on most plays.

Well considering he caught 51 in 13 games this year (pace for 63 in 16 games) I would say that is a bit of an exaggeration. And he caught 47 last year in 14 games, but only 9 starts. And he caught 65 in 15 games in 2014, and 40 as a rookie in 14 games in 2013.

Seems he is about a 60 to 65 catch guy if he could ever play a full season in Buffalo which he did only once in 4 seasons. I seriously doubt he catches more than 65 passes for the Rams next year either.

He is just not that good of a player, he is a mediocre #2...the issue is now in LA, the top guy there is really a small slot WR in Tavon with bad hands. So the Rams now are going to need Woods to be more of a primary WR in which he has never been able to excel at. I am glad we did not pay him to stay here, and while I wish him success here in LA, I just don't think his ceiling is much higher than that and that the Rams WR group is not looking too good.

I hear you, it's all about $$$ considering were he went though. Can't blame him as NFL careers are short. Gotta make as much as you can before it's over.

Well considering he caught 51 in 13 games this year (pace for 63 in 16 games) I would say that is a bit of an exaggeration. And he caught 47 last year in 14 games, but only 9 starts. And he caught 65 in 15 games in 2014, and 40 as a rookie in 14 games in 2013.

Seems he is about a 60 to 65 catch guy if he could ever play a full season in Buffalo which he did only once in 4 seasons. I seriously doubt he catches more than 65 passes for the Rams next year either.

He is just not that good of a player, he is a mediocre #2...the issue is now in LA, the top guy there is really a small slot WR in Tavon with bad hands. So the Rams now are going to need Woods to be more of a primary WR in which he has never been able to excel at. I am glad we did not pay him to stay here, and while I wish him success here in LA, I just don't think his ceiling is much higher than that and that the Rams WR group is not looking too good.

Not sure about bolded. He never had the targets in Buffalo to prove himself in all fairness. He averaged 5 targets a game in Buffalo.

Edited by Real McCoy

I hear you, it's all about $$$ considering were he went though. Can't blame him as NFL careers are short. Gotta make as much as you can before it's over.

Not sure about bolded. He never had the targets in Buffalo to prove himself in all fairness. He averaged 5 targets a game in Buffalo.

Thats a fair point...but my counter point is this: Sammy has been highly productive when healthy in the same offense catching passes from the same QB's. Sammy's only issue is that he missed 9 games this year and played hurt and hobbled in the other 7. Last year, after the bye week and he was fully healthy, he was one of the most productive WR's in the NFL over the last 9 weeks of the year when he was mostly healthy. Woods has had many opportunities to do the same and just hasn't ever been able to do so.

There just isnt any one thing that he does really well, and his best attribute may be blocking. I feel like he can be a really good 3rd WR, middle of the road #2 and poor choice for a primary target. Hope he proves me wrong in LA and living here I would like to see him and the Rams do well, but I just am not optimistic about him, especially with Tavon and his bad hands being the other WR.

Wow six pages. Would have been 50 if he went to the Pats. Don't people realize they will win as long as Brady isn't in decline? It doesn't matter who they put around him. NFL level players are good, just teams lose withSchitty QBs. This board is ridiculous with its Patriot love.

Wow six pages. Would have been 50 if he went to the Pats. Don't people realize they will win as long as Brady isn't in decline? It doesn't matter who they put around him. NFL level players are good, just teams lose withSchitty QBs. This board is ridiculous with its Patriot love.

No kidding right...Hogan eclipsed 50 pages because he went to Pats then caught just 2 passes more there than he did here.

Good luck Bobby. Average NFL receiver but never gave less than everything he had when he was out there for us. Wish him well.

Good luck Bobby. Average NFL receiver but never gave less than everything he had when he was out there for us. Wish him well.

Going home to LA to play for an awful team and round out his career of being on losing franchises.

He plays hard but it doesn't seem like he was really invested in winning a championship. He went five steps backwards joining the Rams. Will they have a stadium next year?

I mean if all we care about is his ability to block then Woods is a fantastic receiver, but there are guys up and down the market that can block. He's a decent route runner and ball catcher at best. Not irreplaceable by any stretch of the imagination.

I personally loved the way he caught the ball with his hands and not his body. Just the right amount of pressure on the ball. Always had his hands up for it. Overall a good dude.

catching with hands. Its a dying art isn't it?

Going home to LA to play for an awful team and round out his career of being on losing franchises.

He plays hard but it doesn't seem like he was really invested in winning a championship. He went five steps backwards joining the Rams. Will they have a stadium next year?

....realistically, he wasn't going to get a ring in Bflo any time soon even if re-signed.....so he goes home, grabs a bigger boatload of money with probably the same results.....his choice I guess.........

Would staying in Buffalo have changed your opinion?

@pff_sam

Rams are seriously projecting for Robert Woods to be justifying that money, even just the $15m guaranteed. Dude's never gained 700+ yards

156 targets, 98 catches the past 2 years playing hurt a lot, run heavy offense and a bad passing QB. He's going to do well in LA, very underappreciated and way underused in Buffalo.