Sources: Chasm between Bills coaches, front office on Tyrod

Russ Brandon still making personnel decisions!!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-coaches-execs-remain-split-on-picking-up-tyrod-taylors-30m-option/

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Buffalo Bills are about a week away from another potential franchise-altering decision at quarterback, and it’s causing considerable consternation within the organization.
League sources say a chasm remains between coaches and the front office whether to execute a $30M option on the promising-but-unproven quarterback. As I reported in December, Buffalo’s decision makers -- general manager Doug Whaley, senior VP of football administration Jim Overdorf and team president Russ Brandon -- decided they didn’t want to pay Taylor in 2017. They wanted Taylor out as starter late in last season (he was shut down for Week 17 once owner Terry Pegula fired coach Rex Ryan), and that has not changed.
The front office still feels the current salary structure they negotiated themselves a year ago -- instead of a more standard year-to-year, pay-as-you-go format -- doesn’t make sense, thus their interest in veteran QB options like Tony Romo and Brian Hoyer. However, new coach Sean McDermott and Pegula have become close. McDermott and his staff are not convinced they will find an upgrade over Taylor and see no problem with paying Taylor $17M a year, the sources say.
So, mere months into Buffalo’s latest regime change, they are at another crossroads of their own making (choosing this contract structure for Taylor’s extension was puzzling from the start). While I wouldn’t underestimate how highly the owner thinks of his new coach, picking up a $30M option is no small thing for even the richest men to consider. And the front-office core Pegula has relied upon for years remains firmly in the don’t-pick-up-the-option camp.
In the meantime, the Bills continue to monitor the veteran QB market, meeting with agents to gauge price points of free-agent options. Some in that building remain intrigued by the prospect of trading for Romo, though the feasibility is under question and I’ve heard Buffalo is not Romo’s favored locale.
They’ll have to decide whether Taylor’s option is the safest, most prudent route. One thing is for certain -- this coaching staff has no qualms about working with him and would prefer to do so. And Taylor hits the open market I have no doubt he would fare quite well.
Edited by Wayne Arnold

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unreal. Now doesn't this issue seem recurrent? But hey Doug needs more time.

Seems recurrent because the media don't know what else to say. No decision on Tryod yet? Must be a disagreement between the coaches and front office!!!!

Source?

"Anonymous"

maybe it's just me..but you'd think they would have established a plan and everyone got their opinions out and agreed upon when they hired Seany McD. All this speculation is the media just being the media.

Edited by astb41

It is written by LaCanfora, so I doubt it is true

They can write whatever comes to their pretty little heads and there is no accountability. There is absolutely no BS meter to test this crap with.

One thing that is absolutely true though, La Canfora, Vic, and the rest of the gang got their articles in for the day.

It must be Beer O'Clock.

They can write whatever comes to their pretty little heads and there is no accountability. There is absolutely no BS meter to test this crap with.

One thing that is absolutely true though, La Canfora, Vic, and the rest of the gang got their articles in for the day.

It must be Beer O'Clock.

You guys sound like Donald Trump.

Although in this case you're not wrong. I don't think LaCanfora has ever been right when it comes to the Bills. And there's nothing in this article that can possibly be proven incorrect in the future. Which are the type of "inside source" stories that writers like LaCanfora thrive on.

Add a few inside scoops that can't be refuted and fill the rest up with connect-the-dot material that any one of us could write. Boom - you have a story to pump out to generate a requisite number of offseason clicks for the scouting combine weekend.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

maybe it's just me..but you'd think they would have established a plan and everyone got their opinions out and agreed upon when they hired Seany McD. All this speculation is the media just being the media.

Agree...it is just the media speculating because there are no leaks coming out of OBD with the new staff......so they are going to create stuff just to get their name out there everyday!

This is almost too hard to believe. There may be an element of truth in it, but who knows where this will go. I prefer to believe they are playing their cards in hopes of a viable trade option and if it doesn't occur they will cut him with no compensation owed. Until the final days when the option is still open, we'll probably hear something a "will they or won't they" each day from every source around the country.

Wait there are too many cooks in the kitchen? Wait Pegula made another best friend?

I hope the "media is throwing darts" crowd is right.

Have you read LaCanfora before? He is rarely correct on anything....he guesses much like we do. He just gets paid for it

Edited by nucci

This is almost too hard to believe. There may be an element of truth in it, but who knows where this will go. I prefer to believe they are playing their cards in hopes of a viable trade option and if it doesn't occur they will cut him with no compensation owed. Until the final days when the option is still open, we'll probably hear something a "will they or won't they" each day from every source around the country.

I think it's pretty obvious that Whaley has no interest in Taylor. That's been essentially crystal clear for some time.

You mean like fake news? Nah!

If there is a kernel of truth to this, a big if when if comes to LaConjecture, and the new staff prefers to keep TT and Whaley doesn't, look for TT to be retained and Whaley to be let go after the draft.

Have you read LaCanfora before? He is rarely correct on anything....he guesses much like we do. He just gets paid for it

I don't need any of the reporters to tell me that the teams chain of command is ambiguous with frequent power struggles. I feel the evidence bears that out over many years.

Do I think any of them have a pulse on this TT decision? No.

I think it's pretty obvious that Whaley has no interest in Taylor. That's been essentially crystal clear for some time.

Yup this part of the report we can safely say is true. Whaley has never done or said anything to show that he is on Tyrod's side at all. I still don't believe the extension was entirely his idea.

The other part of the report about McDermott we can't know for sure, but it makes sense given that Whaley would have made the decision by now otherwise. What is the delay in picking up the option or not? It makes sense that a disagreement is causing it.

Whaley is a terrible GM

Source: My eyeballs

good to see a healthy dose of negativity carry over from previous lives.I've tried my best to read more than post on here,but I draw a line.your eyeballs mean nothing.And if,for some reason,your eyeballs prove better than any body with a job in the nfl,I'll be the first to recommend you for their spot. We haven't seen the Whaley machine in all its power yet.let's give it a chance.

This is what I guessed was happening, so if it's true I wouldn't be surprised. I do realize who the messenger is, but you figure he has to be right at least occasionally.

For the sake of discussion let's assume the article paints an accurate picture. The picture is disturbing on many fronts. The organization negotiated a contract with TT that puts the player in a strong position and the team in a bind when the option decision comes up. Either the organization agrees to the deal or the player goes out to the market and gets a comparable or higher deal because of the tight market for qbs. What it boils down to is that Whaley doesn't want to sign the option at the price he negotiated at. He is the one dealing the cards and he is the one receiving the unappealing cards.

The most disturbing issue I find in the story (if true) is it appears that the new coach has more authority than the GM. That is not a healthy situation for any franchise, and it is not a smart way to run a football franchise. What the power arrangement vis a vis GM to HC that was structured by the owner did is take away authority from the GM that most, if not all, GMs have. That diminution of authority clearly is a sign of a lack of confidence by the owner towards the GM.

What is the cause of this non-conventional/traditional organizational structure for a NFL frachise? It all goes back to Whaley's inability to put together a competitive team. And that issue goes back mostly to his inability over a reasonable period of time to adequately address the qb situation, the essential ingredient to field a competitive team.

In the Watkins deal Whaley was bold and willing to give up a lot to secure a talented receiver in a rich receiver draft class. The mistake he made was that he should have used his willingness to gamble for a qb instead of a receiver.

This organization hasn't had a franchise qb since the retirement of Jim Kelly, over twenty years ago. In a system designed for parity this franchise hasn't been in the playoffs for 18 years. The two situations are inextricably linked. That is a disgrace and an embarrassment.

I'm in favor of a forum rule that says posting anything from Jason LaContorta earns said poster a two-week unpaid vacation.

The guy has not been right once that I can remember with respect to breaking any Bills news.

This is what I guessed was happening, so if it's true I wouldn't be surprised. I do realize who the messenger is, but you figure he has to be right at least occasionally.

You figure wrong. I'm serious -- name one time LaContorta has been accurate when it comes to breaking Bills news.

Russ Brandon still making personnel decisions!!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-coaches-execs-remain-split-on-picking-up-tyrod-taylors-30m-option/

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Buffalo Bills are about a week away from another potential franchise-altering decision at quarterback, and it’s causing considerable consternation within the organization.
League sources say a chasm remains between coaches and the front office whether to execute a $30M option on the promising-but-unproven quarterback. As I reported in December, Buffalo’s decision makers -- general manager Doug Whaley, senior VP of football administration Jim Overdorf and team president Russ Brandon -- decided they didn’t want to pay Taylor in 2017. They wanted Taylor out as starter late in last season (he was shut down for Week 17 once owner Terry Pegula fired coach Rex Ryan), and that has not changed.
The front office still feels the current salary structure they negotiated themselves a year ago -- instead of a more standard year-to-year, pay-as-you-go format -- doesn’t make sense, thus their interest in veteran QB options like Tony Romo and Brian Hoyer. However, new coach Sean McDermott and Pegula have become close. McDermott and his staff are not convinced they will find an upgrade over Taylor and see no problem with paying Taylor $17M a year, the sources say.
So, mere months into Buffalo’s latest regime change, they are at another crossroads of their own making (choosing this contract structure for Taylor’s extension was puzzling from the start). While I wouldn’t underestimate how highly the owner thinks of his new coach, picking up a $30M option is no small thing for even the richest men to consider. And the front-office core Pegula has relied upon for years remains firmly in the don’t-pick-up-the-option camp.
In the meantime, the Bills continue to monitor the veteran QB market, meeting with agents to gauge price points of free-agent options. Some in that building remain intrigued by the prospect of trading for Romo, though the feasibility is under question and I’ve heard Buffalo is not Romo’s favored locale.
They’ll have to decide whether Taylor’s option is the safest, most prudent route. One thing is for certain -- this coaching staff has no qualms about working with him and would prefer to do so. And Taylor hits the open market I have no doubt he would fare quite well.

And this is why a TOTAL purge was needed, not just a coaching change, UGH.

I'm in favor of a forum rule that says posting anything from Jason LaContorta earns said poster a two-week unpaid vacation.

The guy has not been right once that I can remember with respect to breaking any Bills news.

You figure wrong. I'm serious -- name one time LaContorta has been accurate when it comes to breaking Bills news.

Rex firing.

Imagine that. People in the front office who are responsible for managing the CAP, and the future of the roster down the road doesn't jive with what coaches want since they are in a win now mode all he time.

This is not news.