Sources: Chasm between Bills coaches, front office on Tyrod

I'm in favor of a forum rule that says posting anything from Jason LaContorta earns said poster a two-week unpaid vacation.

The guy has not been right once that I can remember with respect to breaking any Bills news.

You figure wrong. I'm serious -- name one time LaContorta has been accurate when it comes to breaking Bills news.

There doesn't need to be an article by Jason L to recognize that there is an internal dispute between the front office and the new coaching staff. And there doesn't need to be an article by anyone to recognize that the GM has lost some authority when the owner hired the new HC. It's clear to me that Whaley would prefer to let TT go. And it is apparent that the HC isn't on board with that situation, at least right now. This is not a healthy situation from an organizational and authority standpoint.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the sake of discussion let's assume the article paints an accurate picture. The picture is disturbing on many fronts. The organization negotiated a contract with TT that puts the player in a strong position and the team in a bind when the option decision comes up. Either the organization agrees to the deal or the player goes out to the market and gets a comparable or higher deal because of the tight market for qbs. What it boils down to is that Whaley doesn't want to sign the option at the price he negotiated at. He is the one dealing the cards and he is the one receiving the unappealing cards.

The most disturbing issue I find in the story (if true) is it appears that the new coach has more authority than the GM. That is not a healthy situation for any franchise, and it is not a smart way to run a football franchise. What the power arrangement vis a vis GM to HC that was structured by the owner did is take away authority from the GM that most, if not all, GMs have. That diminution of authority clearly is a sign of a lack of confidence by the owner towards the GM.

What is the cause of this non-conventional/traditional organizational structure for a NFL frachise? It all goes back to Whaley's inability to put together a competitive team. And that issue goes back mostly to his inability over a reasonable period of time to adequately address the qb situation, the essential ingredient to field a competitive team.

In the Watkins deal Whaley was bold and willing to give up a lot to secure a talented receiver in a rich receiver draft class. The mistake he made was that he should have used his willingness to gamble for a qb instead of a receiver.

This organization hasn't had a franchise qb since the retirement of Jim Kelly, over twenty years ago. In a system designed for parity this franchise hasn't been in the playoffs for 18 years. The two situations are inextricably linked. That is a disgrace and an embarrassment.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the reporting structure the Bills have as it's not that uncommon for both GM and HC to report directly to the owner.

As to the question of QB, I don't think there's a HC in the league that doesn't have full authority on who his QB is.

"I bet you thought I was gone....well guess again"

B9317993548Z.1_20150723175721_000_GSCBDA

:lol:

Again, I think this is another instance of a reporter throwing :censored: at the wall and hoping it sticks. LaCanfora's credibility isn't what it used to be, that's for sure. We'll know soon enough what they will be doing with Tyrod. Until then get a bucket of popcorn and laugh at the shear comedy of it all.

There doesn't need to be an article by Jason L to recognize that there is an internal dispute between the front office and the new coaching staff. And there doesn't need to be an article by anyone to recognize that the GM has lost some authority when the owner hired the new HC. It's clear to me that Whaley would prefer to let TT go. And it is apparent that the HC isn't on board with that situation, at least right now. This is not a healthy situation from an organizational and authority standpoint.

John, those statements right there are as bad as the speculation going on in the media. There is NO evidence to support them. Whaley led the HC search and brought McD to the table, and Whaley isn't going to tell the HC who he has to play at QB.

If there is a kernel of truth to this, a big if when if comes to LaConjecture, and the new staff prefers to keep TT and Whaley doesn't, look for TT to be retained and Whaley to be let go after the draft.

I like that, I may use that in the future

John, those statements right there are as bad as the speculation going on in the media. There is NO evidence to support them. Whaley led the HC search and brought McD to the table, and Whaley isn't going to tell the HC who he has to play at QB.

exactly, Sean wouldn't have taken the job otherwise

I wouldn't get too hung up on the reporting structure the Bills have as it's not that uncommon for both GM and HC to report directly to the owner.

As to the question of QB, I don't think there's a HC in the league that doesn't have full authority on who his QB is.

I'm not bothered by the reporting protocol. What bothers me is that the GM doesn't have the authority to make a decision on a player that he has made a determination on. I'm not also questioning the input the new HC should have on the qb issue. But I do find it somewhat problematic that it appears that the GM doesn't have the final say.

I'm in favor of a forum rule that says posting anything from Jason LaContorta earns said poster a two-week unpaid vacation.

The guy has not been right once that I can remember with respect to breaking any Bills news.

You figure wrong. I'm serious -- name one time LaContorta has been accurate when it comes to breaking Bills news.

ooh another good one, I am liking this new board

so once again a writer claims the contract was a terrible mistake

tell me again why?

they get tyrod to play a season for just under ten mil. they get to evaluate him that entire season. if they decide to keep him, they essentially pay the other half of his '16 salary and then the same annual amount for a few more years

seems like a terrific contract for the bills

whats the worst case scenario? well that would be if tyrod shows hes barely average as an nfl starter and has enough flaws in his game to make him a questionable investment at that double dipped 2017+ half 2016 total payment

well, in that scenario then you decline the option to continue and save millions to go get one of the many other barely average starting qbs to play while you seek your next drafted long term starter

no problem

it was a good contract bc it gave the bills tremendous flexibility. woulda been great if tyrod entrenched himself in that span, but he didnt. now the bills can reap the benefit of the contract and save a lot of money on the position for now, if they want to

so what was wrong with that contract again?

Edited by Meathead

Imagine that. People in the front office who are responsible for managing the CAP, and the future of the roster down the road doesn't jive with what coaches want since they are in a win now mode all he time.

This is not news.

Best point made in the entire thread.

The GM is the person who usually makes the determination on players factoring in their their cost (cap hit). This is usually a GM function. No one is questioning that the new HC shouldn't have substantive input on the qb issue but this goes beyond that. It is an issue that revolves around the GM's ability to handle the cap which is certainly a prime consideration with this player.

I'm not bothered by the reporting protocol. What bothers me is that the GM doesn't have the authority to make a decision on a player that he has made a determination on. I'm not also questioning the input the new HC should have on the qb issue. But I do find it somewhat problematic that it appears that the GM doesn't have the final say.

I don't think that it's as straightforward as that, especially knowing how important QBs are to a team, and it's a near certainty that the last two coaching hires expressed strong views about the Bills QB situation. Plus, if I'm a coach, I'm not trusting a GM's views on a QB, because that GM apparently still believed until January 1, 2017 that EJ Manuel is an NFL starter

Edited by GG

Whaley didn't even have the final say between hiring Rex,and that's saying something for a GM. But it didn't work,and now it's his chance.I hope he nails it!

There doesn't need to be an article by Jason L to recognize that there is an internal dispute between the front office and the new coaching staff.

There doesn't? What is the obvious signs to you? Is it because they haven't announced if they're cutting or keeping Tyrod?

The new coaching staff have had like two press conferences, both of which were pretty generic / coach-speaky, so how do you get any feel of what they're thinking?

And they're already in a rift with the people that hired them two months ago? They didn't discuss this in the job interview??

Let's all break out our TBD Jump To Conclusions Mat!

I don't think it's bothersome at all. I like the idea of coaches who know better than anyone the kind of players they prefer for their systems to have final say. Whaley could have simply cut TT before he hired McD, but he deferred to the pending analysis by the new staff. After that assessment, if McD walks down the hall and says TT is the guy, then that's the end of it.

None of this means that Whaley isn't fully integrated from the standpoint of offering the staff his construction plans in the event they DO keep TT or not. Certain accommodations will need to be made given the strengths and weaknesses in Taylor's game and that impacts your team build moving forward. And we certainly want his input on the relevant cap issues moving forward, etc.

But when it comes to a HC saying "this is MY guy" he has to have the unfettered leeway to make that call. And I believe McD indeed has that privilege.

Didn't La Canfora call the Rex firing and Tyrod benching before anyone else? He could very well have sources. Either way the timeline makes sense. Whaley doesn't like Tyrod but a decision hasn't been reached yet. It can only mean one thing.

Russ Brandon still making personnel decisions!!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-coaches-execs-remain-split-on-picking-up-tyrod-taylors-30m-option/

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Buffalo Bills are about a week away from another potential franchise-altering decision at quarterback, and its causing considerable consternation within the organization.

League sources say a chasm remains between coaches and the front office whether to execute a $30M option on the promising-but-unproven quarterback. As I reported in December, Buffalos decision makers -- general manager Doug Whaley, senior VP of football administration Jim Overdorf and team president Russ Brandon -- decided they didnt want to pay Taylor in 2017. They wanted Taylor out as starter late in last season (he was shut down for Week 17 once owner Terry Pegula fired coach Rex Ryan), and that has not changed.

The front office still feels the current salary structure they negotiated themselves a year ago -- instead of a more standard year-to-year, pay-as-you-go format -- doesnt make sense, thus their interest in veteran QB options like Tony Romo and Brian Hoyer. However, new coach Sean McDermott and Pegula have become close. McDermott and his staff are not convinced they will find an upgrade over Taylor and see no problem with paying Taylor $17M a year, the sources say.

So, mere months into Buffalos latest regime change, they are at another crossroads of their own making (choosing this contract structure for Taylors extension was puzzling from the start). While I wouldnt underestimate how highly the owner thinks of his new coach, picking up a $30M option is no small thing for even the richest men to consider. And the front-office core Pegula has relied upon for years remains firmly in the dont-pick-up-the-option camp.

In the meantime, the Bills continue to monitor the veteran QB market, meeting with agents to gauge price points of free-agent options. Some in that building remain intrigued by the prospect of trading for Romo, though the feasibility is under question and Ive heard Buffalo is not Romos favored locale.

Theyll have to decide whether Taylors option is the safest, most prudent route. One thing is for certain -- this coaching staff has no qualms about working with him and would prefer to do so. And Taylor hits the open market I have no doubt he would fare quite well.

Russ brandon folks. All star extraoirdinare

What I find ridiculous is the the half of the organization that structured, signed and promoted that contract are the same people that are now running from it. Indecently these are the same people that have failed for anywhere from 5 to 15+ years.

I hope McD sticks to his guns cuz this is groundhog day all over again.

What I find ridiculous is the the half of the organization that structured, signed and promoted that contract are the same people that are now running from it. Indecently these are the same people that have failed for anywhere from 5 to 15+ years.

I hope McD sticks to his guns cuz this is groundhog day all over again.

Why wouldn't McD stick to his guns? He's in the driver's seat here.

New Sheriff In Town. He's doing his due diligence. Good for him. We'll know soon enough. As for the

"reports" it's March - the month of Speculation when it comes to NFL football. Crack a beer and relax folks.

I am still at work, is that acceptable?

Good story, plausible narrative, the soap opera at OBD continues. I would imagine the coaching staff wants to get to work on installing something, anything, but until the Quarterback position has some definition all they can do is plan for contingencies. Whaley wants his guy whoever that is and one thing I think we can all agree on is that ain't Tyrod.

If I am Pegs and the children can't play well together I side with Coach on personnel decisions, tell Whaley to work out the acquisition(s) or show him the door. You have to let the chef choose the groceries, because at the end of the day it's the coach who has to answer for the results.

It's not surprising that there's disagreement between he front office and the coaching staff.

Pegula: "so fellas what do we do about the QB position?"

McDermott: "I can win with this kid"

Whaley: "based on what I've seen, I don't want to pay this option"

McDermott: "But I can win with this kid"

Whaley: "how 'bout I get you a new QB that you can also win with?"

McDermott: "OK, who ya got?... and don't tell me rookie!"

Whaley: "OK, umm..."

McDermott: "Thats what I though..."

Pegula: "Well Doug, I think you're going to have to give coach what he wants. Deal with your mess"

Didn't La Canfora call the Rex firing and Tyrod benching before anyone else? He could very well have sources. Either way the timeline makes sense. Whaley doesn't like Tyrod but a decision hasn't been reached yet. It can only mean one thing.

He said Rex would be fired and Tyrod would be benched if they stunk vs Pitt.

Both of them stunk vs Pitt, yet Tyrod started the next game and Rex was still employed.

Good story, plausible narrative, the soap opera at OBD continues. I would imagine the coaching staff wants to get to work on installing something, anything, but until the Quarterback position has some definition all they can do is plan for contingencies. Whaley wants his guy whoever that is and one thing I think we can all agree on is that ain't Tyrod.

If I am Pegs and the children can't play well together I side with Coach on personnel decisions, tell Whaley to work out the acquisition(s) or show him the door. You have to let the chef choose the groceries, because at the end of the day it's the coach who has to answer for the results.

Especially when the chef reports directly to and has the ear of the restaurant owner.

Bottom line is if Whaley doesn't agree with McD, so be it. But if he's gonna squawk and be unprofessional about it, and there's no reason to think he would at this point, then he'll be fired.

It is written by LaCanfora, so I doubt it is true

All I needed to know, thanks for saving me the click. They've got to write something, right? There's no penalty for being wrong, so.....

This report makes sense. I have felt all along that Whaley would like to move on from Taylor while McDermott/Dennison would like to keep Taylor. We will find out soon who wins this battle. If Whaley does win out, he better be right or he will be the first if things go south.