Sources: Chasm between Bills coaches, front office on Tyrod

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This report makes sense. I have felt all along that Whaley would like to move on from Taylor while McDermott/Dennison would like to keep Taylor. We will find out soon who wins this battle. If Whaley does win out, he better be right or he will be the first if things go south.

Curious as to what McD and/or Dennison have said to indicate they'd like to keep Taylor.

Sources: Chasm between reality, LaConforta on Bills news...

Seriously. Chasm? Based on speculation from last year? With a different coach? And people wonder why Pegula had distaste for the media. I can't count the number of articles I have seen with headlines reading that we are parting ways or not parting ways with Tyrod with no new information. If they will do that for clicks, why would they not do that for chasms? Just talking to talk.

For the sake of discussion let's assume the article paints an accurate picture. The picture is disturbing on many fronts. The organization negotiated a contract with TT that puts the player in a strong position and the team in a bind when the option decision comes up. Either the organization agrees to the deal or the player goes out to the market and gets a comparable or higher deal because of the tight market for qbs. What it boils down to is that Whaley doesn't want to sign the option at the price he negotiated at. He is the one dealing the cards and he is the one receiving the unappealing cards.

The most disturbing issue I find in the story (if true) is it appears that the new coach has more authority than the GM. That is not a healthy situation for any franchise, and it is not a smart way to run a football franchise. What the power arrangement vis a vis GM to HC that was structured by the owner did is take away authority from the GM that most, if not all, GMs have. That diminution of authority clearly is a sign of a lack of confidence by the owner towards the GM.

What is the cause of this non-conventional/traditional organizational structure for a NFL frachise? It all goes back to Whaley's inability to put together a competitive team. And that issue goes back mostly to his inability over a reasonable period of time to adequately address the qb situation, the essential ingredient to field a competitive team.

In the Watkins deal Whaley was bold and willing to give up a lot to secure a talented receiver in a rich receiver draft class. The mistake he made was that he should have used his willingness to gamble for a qb instead of a receiver.

This organization hasn't had a franchise qb since the retirement of Jim Kelly, over twenty years ago. In a system designed for parity this franchise hasn't been in the playoffs for 18 years. The two situations are inextricably linked. That is a disgrace and an embarrassment.

Whaley's primary mistake was to offer TT way to much in the first place, pertaining to the option. Tyrod has had some flashes of success to go with failures to bring the team back from deficits. In a strange and unorthodox way I'm glad Sean seems to have more power than Doug. We're going to quickly run out of QB options if TT is allowed to go. Hopefully they can work out an 11th hour restructure?

Any fans that want their coach to be GM will be in for a world of hurt as the roster crumbles. Bills already messed up last year spending 3 picks on an inside linebacker and not drafting Dak with one of the traded picks.

Coaches will never want to cut TT. We need a real GM with power here.

Any fans that want their coach to be GM will be in for a world of hurt as the roster crumbles. Bills already messed up last year spending 3 picks on an inside linebacker and not drafting Dak with one of the traded picks.

Really? That guy in New England, what is his name? He does a pretty good job wearing two hats. You just have to find a guy like that. Simple really.

This is speculation.

Why do you suppose Whaley deferred the decision to cut TT? He could have done that the day the season ended. Why did he want the new staff to have it's say? And not just the new staff, but A Lynn and other candidates that interviewed for the job as well? He did that because it's imperative that a coach and his staff be able to evaluate the entire roster before making recommendations on personnel changes.

This is classic organizational chaos.

Owner says GM is going to lead HC search........then personally hires a coach that doesn't agree with the GM opinion regarding the most important position in the organization. :lol:

Closed up all those leaks though.

Functional! :lol:

Really? That guy in New England, what is his name? He does a pretty good job wearing two hats. You just have to find a guy like that. Simple really.

Yes, I would let BB act as GM. Why? He cuts good players because he sees the big picture. 99 percent of football coaches can't think beyond the next year. I don't think McD is some BB in waiting.

Anything they have said points towards indecision. Time is ticking..

I agree, which is why I was wondering if I missed something where they may have indicated a preference to keep him as was speculated above.

This is speculation.

Why do you suppose Whaley deferred the decision to cut TT? He could have done that the day the season ended. Why did he want the new staff to have it's say? And not just the new staff, but A Lynn and other candidates that interviewed for the job as well? He did that because it's imperative that a coach and his staff be able to evaluate the entire roster before making recommendations on personnel changes.

see my above post

sports journalism 101

1. report he's leaving and staying

2. claim you were right

Precisely this. LaCanfora just said Tyrod is leaving or staying and it was because of the GM's or Coachs decision. Covered all bases there didn't ya LaCanfora? :lol:

Yes, I would let BB act as GM. Why? He cuts good players because he sees the big picture. 99 percent of football coaches can't think beyond the next year. I don't think McD is some BB in waiting.

Consider me a fan who would hire a coach I could trust with that responsibility. I don't know if McD is that guy or not but I do know Whaley isn't. His body of work is not all that impressive.

Did we BBMB posters bring this negativity with us? If so, my apologies.

There is a concerted belief by a few members of this board that the Bills won't be good until they gut the whole organization and start from scratch. I don't subscribe to that theory, but you will often see them crusading this point on every decision or action made by the organization.

see my above post

I did see it. I don't agree that Pegula wouldn't let Whaley cut TT, which is what you suggest. Otherwise, since Whaley and everyone else in the front office wanted TT gone so desperately, he would have cut him the immediately after the season.

I know it doesn't square with the "chaos" narrative, but the fact Whaley deferred to the next coaching staff is a sign of a healthy organization.

But like I said earlier, if there's any truth to this report,and I don't think there is, then TT will be retained and we can look for Whaley to be let go after the draft.

I though the chasm was in lacanfora's left eyeball.

I think LaConfora meant "spasm" which is in his left eyeball. One helluva distracting tic, that. Downright disconcerting.

There is a concerted belief by a few members of this board that the Bills won't be good until they gut the whole organization and start from scratch. I don't subscribe to that theory, but you will often see them crusading this point on every decision or action made by the organization.

I agree with them. It has been a cluster for 17 years with the same scouts picking and I feel many of our players just flat need to be replaced. Gut the thing. Pick a QB and lets rebuild over the next 5 and do it right. 17 years of "re tooling" and we are in the same spot.

So is it me, or is the title completely misleading? All the story says is that the coaching staff doesn't think they'll be able to bring in a better replacement for Tyrod -- not exactly a ringing endorsement and certainly not something that seems like a "chasm" or new information.

Edited by Bills Fan in MD

I did see it. I don't agree that Pegula wouldn't let Whaley cut TT, which is what you suggest. Otherwise, since Whaley and everyone else in the front office wanted TT gone so desperately, he would have cut him the immediately after the season.

I know it doesn't square with the "chaos" narrative, but the fact Whaley deferred to the next coaching staff is a sign of a healthy organization.

But like I said earlier, if there's any truth to this report,and I don't think there is, then TT will be retained and we can look for Whaley to be let go after the draft.

I think LaConfora meant "spasm" which is in his left eyeball. One helluva distracting tic, that. Downright disconcerting.

I think Whaley probably thought he could convince McDermott that Tyrod is not worth retaining but it sure sounded like he wanted to keep interviewing for a more like-minded option and Terry and Kim made up his mind for him.

But cutting the QB......months before that decision had to be made.........and before hiring a coach would have been a totally bold, Chip-Kelly-cutting-Desean-Jackson or Carolina cutting Josh Norman type of move that might have caused a prospective HC serious pause.

I mean.......this is a bad defensive team....and had poor special teams.........they were all about offense in 2016 .......so take away the QB of the offense that scored a bunch of points and it's a lot worse looking job than the one that TP had to overpay/committ to Rex to take two years ago.

At least that team had a very good defense.

McDermott wasn't exactly a "belle of the ball" HC prospect so maybe he takes it anyway but this organization has had two coaches QUIT and has been turned down by similar level coaching prospects to McDermott before......Brian Schottenheimer types.

Edited by #BADOL

Sometimes I feel it's Head Coaches who value elite QB play the least. Annd McDermontt, shame sir. You had Cam Newton guiding you. You don't think your anywhere right now with out him do you?

Many, many coaches feel the scheme, when executed properly, is more important than the talent.

Coaches may be realists that have an average player is "good enough" at certain positions. Very few front offices have the balls to get rid of an average QB in an effort to get an elite one, so I do give the Bills some credit for at least considering "going big or going home".

I think the Seattle route (lots of elite players, simple scheme) is still the best way to go.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

So we hammer Whaley when he wants to take the short term reload and win now decisions and when he wants to step back and look big picture we hammer him.

He will get hammered heavily either way until we win more, and then a little less. Lots of opinions out there. I am hoping the Pegulas have the backbone to give OBD a few years to get the organization pulling in one direction. We need that stability to build depth and hopefully take some shots at some players that aren't driven by need.

It is written by LaCanfora, so I doubt it is true

First of all, yes, JLC is a horrific shill and crappy reporter.

Is it even remotely plausible that Whaley hired a head coach with whom he disagreed on the Taylor situation? I'm not the biggest Whaley fan, but I'm living in the real world here.

So we hammer Whaley when he wants to take the short term reload and win now decisions and when he wants to step back and look big picture we hammer him.

He's done nothing but lose since he got here with Buddy Nix.

It took a few years before anyone did anything but praise him as the golden child........... but he's become the face of losing at OBD so he will be damned either way from now on until he stops the losing.

Edited by #BADOL

Besides the fact that Whaley seems like a jerk in PCs, where is the evidence is is so terrible to work with? He's not been amazing in the draft, but he has pulled in some decent street FAs. I understand not liking him, but he's not going anywhere after just hiring a HC.

He's done nothing but lose since he got here with Buddy Nix.

It took a few years before anyone did anything but praise him as the golden child........... but he's become the face of losing at OBD so he will be damned either way from now on until he stops the losing.

.500 over the 3 seasons that have followed full Whaley offseasons. Great? No. Terrible? No.

It's LaCanfora so you can pretty much disregard everything he says.

.500 over the 3 seasons that have followed full Whaley offseasons. Great? No. Terrible? No.

I think .500 is probably the worst position to be in.

Edited by Bangarang