Brady's Legacy

How long did it take you to come up with this load of trash. Brady is great by any metric ever devised by the most ardent haters. Remember it may be established on this board but it is still on the internet. And if you follow this line of thinking then Kelly must be one of the worst Quarterbacks to ever play the game. Sad and pathetic.

Wow. I didn't realize just how good I was at satire. Dude, for the hundredth time, I was kidding. Actually more than that, I was trying to make a point how ridiculous the 'Montana's 4-0 > Brady's 4-2' crowd sounded.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will NEVER understand how going 4-0 is better than going 4-2. I mean the guy is less great because he made the big game two MORE times than Montana or Bradshaw! Also in theb2 losses he had gotten the lead for the team with around 2 minutes to go. I don't know what else a QB can do in those spots... he can't play D!

Also Kelly >>>>>>>> McNair and he lost 4 straight SB! The crazy notion that losing a SB makes you less of a great player is just astronomically dumb in my opinion.

IMO I hate comparing different eras against eachother as rules, and leagues change. Brady IMO (biased as it is) is the greatest QB in the modern era followed by P. Manning. I think P Manning is LIGHTYEARS Better than his little Bro even though he is 2-1 and Eli is 2-0.

I agree completely. If he goes 5-6 in Super Bowls he's still better than the rest. The more super bowl appearances the better

I agree completely. If he goes 5-6 in Super Bowls he's still better than the rest. The more super bowl appearances the better

Yes. This is the point. In fact, in terms of measuring playoff success/greatness (NO, SUPER BOWLS ARE NOT ALL THAT MATTERS, DAN MARINO IS CERTAINLY ONE OF THE ALL TIME BESTS), I would say Super Bowl wins are worth five points and Super Bowl losses are worth two points. So four conference championships with no Super Bowl wins (Jim Kelly) trumps one Super Bowl win in only one Super Bowl appearance (Drew Brees) for instance. Edited by metzelaars_lives

As much as it sticks in my throat, 11 conference championship games and 7 super bowls make Brady the GOAT.

I kind of disagree. Brady isn't the GOAT because his team wins games which requires defense, special teams, etc.

He's the GOAT because of what he does with the football, year after year.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Brady is the #1 QB of all time and it's no longer even close.

Other all-time greats have bad games. Their teams lose a 35-20 game here and there where it's just not their day.

Brady and the Pats lose 1-2 games a year, and when they do it comes right down to the wire. I don't think they've lost by more than 1 score in a couple years with Brady playing.

That's why he is the GOAT to me. The idea of them losing is almost unthinkable. The idea that they could lose in a game that isn't close seems almost impossible.

Even Montana would have some clunkers when they lost.

They lost to the Phins by 10 to end the season last year. Then lost to KC by 27 the year before, as well as the Phins again by 13.

Here's how I look at Super Bowls...

Imagine a track guy. He qualifies for the Olympics every time. Over the course of his career, he picks up a couple golds, a couple silvers and a bronze. He won 2 of 5 possible Olympic golds.

Another guy wins gold, doesn't qualify the next Olympics, wins gold the next Olympics, then fails to qualify again. So he competed in the Olympic twice and won gold both times. He's 2 of 2. So he's better? Nonsense.

Jim Kelly didn't get selected into the HOF because he's .000 in the Super Bowl. He was selected because he won 'silver' four years in a row and because of what he did with the football in every game he played.

Anyone who thinks that 4-0 in SBs is more impressive than 4-2 needs their head examined. Getting the SB is freaking hard and impressive in and of itself.

Especially from Bills fans, who rightly I might add, always point to Kelly and Co going to four straight.

The boston globe tweeted yesterday that BB was the greatest coach ever. Luke russert retweeted and stated that Barry Bonds was the greatest hitter since Ted Williams, but his obituary cannot be written without the word "cheater" in it. I'm paraphrasing the tweet since I cannot access Twitter at work...

With that said, yes, Tom Brady is a great QB, but you cannot write his obituary without mentioning cheating.

Seems fair enough to me.

Right now, I put Brady with Montana as the 2 greatest QB's I have seen since I really started watching football in OJ's rookie year. They are both far above the rest to me. After Brady most likely gets his 5th ring in 2 weeks, he will surpass Joe. I think he finally calls it a day after 6 rings, leaving absolutely no doubt he is the GOAT. Much apologies to Otto Graham, but he was too far before my time.

His legacy is this no matter what happens in the Superbowl.

He is the BEST QB in the Modern Era for football and likely the BEST of all times, because he did it in the Salary Cap Era, not the can keep a elite franchise together NON Salary Cap Era Montana played in.

I can't stand Brady or the Patriots.

That said, I don't even say the following grudgingly anymore: he is the greatest quarterback of all time.

Unfortunately, I have nothing else to say about him.

Edit: I do have something more to say, because I just want to be clear and not mislead anyone.

Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, John Elway, Peyton Manning, Drew Bree's, Dan Marino, Roger Staubach, and the rest can't carry his jock strap. You know it, I know it, and everybody knows it, even if we don't want to admit it.

...because I am not really interested in, nor do I even remotely think, there is a call for debate on the matter.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

So, do you think he might want to get traded to the Bills to prove a point? He's old, maybe a 7th rounder? :)

I'd say part of what makes Brady great is that he recognizes he should stay put.

An interesting question is if Brady could do it without Ernie Adams. I don't think he has anywhere near the career he has without him.

I'd say part of what makes Brady great is that he recognizes he should stay put.

An interesting question is if Brady could do it without Ernie Adams. I don't think he has anywhere near the career he has without him.

It's the Bill and Ernie show! Wonder how else they have skirted the rules that we know nothing about? I'd put nothing past them, but Brady is Brady.

What do you estimate was Ernie Adams's greatest contribution to the humiliation of Tomlin and the Steelers yesterday?

John Elway. Some think he's the greatest. I don't, but some do. 2-3 in the big game. Brady is considered the greatest of all time now, and I'd be shocked if his legacy takes a hit with a loss. He's going to put up numbers in this game. Just ask Vegas.

In my opinion the greatest of all-time is Montana, but his memory is fading. I like 4-0 over 4-2 also, along with zero interceptions in SBs. I always go back to the Jack Morris argument: Who would you trust with your life on the line? I'd pick the guy who threw a 10 inning shutout in the 7th game of the World Series. I'd take Montana.

Brady is consistently great, but all of his SB games were down to the wire. Montana was a master when the competition was the toughest. He was at his best in all the SB games. His QB rating supports this. Brady's average SB rating is 95 and Montana is 127. To be the best you have to dominate the best and that's exactly what Montana did. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion, but this is the way I see it.

IMO I hate comparing different eras against eachother as rules, and leagues change. Brady IMO (biased as it is) is the greatest QB in the modern era followed by P. Manning. I think P Manning is LIGHTYEARS Better than his little Bro even though he is 2-1 and Eli is 2-0.

Just a correction on Peyton... he is 2-2. Losses to the Saints with Indy and Seahawks with Denver.

Brady is consistently great, but all of his SB games were down to the wire. Montana was a master when the competition was the toughest. He was at his best in all the SB games. His QB rating supports this. Brady's average SB rating is 95 and Montana is 127. To be the best you have to dominate the best and that's exactly what Montana did. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion, but this is the way I see it.

This is a little deceiving for a couple of reasons. First, two of Montana's four wins were "down to the wire" close games against Cincinnati. Two were blowouts, but Montana's excellence also happened in the middle of a 13-in-a-row NFC dominance of the Super Bowl. During that time, there were people arguing that the NFC Championship game was the "real Super Bowl", because that's where the two best teams in the League played each other. There were just too many times where the AFC puked on themselves in the big game. So I take the actual Super Bowl game stats from that period (like never throwing an interception) with a grain of salt. There's much better balance between the conferences in this period.

And 4-2 is better than 4-0. Bills fans - of all people - should remember that a conference title is an accomplishment. They give you a trophy for it and everything. Anyone who argues this is basically penalizing Brady for taking his team further into the playoffs before losing than Montana did, and giving Montana extra credit for getting bounced in the NFC playoffs every year the 49ers didn't win it all. I'm sorry, but this makes no sense.

John Elway. Some think he's the greatest. I don't, but some do. 2-3 in the big game. Brady is considered the greatest of all time now, and I'd be shocked if his legacy takes a hit with a loss. He's going to put up numbers in this game. Just ask Vegas.

In my opinion the greatest of all-time is Montana, but his memory is fading. I like 4-0 over 4-2 also, along with zero interceptions in SBs. I always go back to the Jack Morris argument: Who would you trust with your life on the line? I'd pick the guy who threw a 10 inning shutout in the 7th game of the World Series. I'd take Montana.

Why is going to 4 superbowls more impressive then going to 7? Yes brady has 2 losses and maybe will be 3. But going to 7 superbowls is way more impressive than going to 4, especially in a salary cap league

Edited by billsfan11

Why is going to 4 superbowls more impressive then going to 7? Yes brady has 2 losses and maybe will be 3. But going to 7 superbowls is way more impressive than going to 4, especially in a salary cap league

And also add Brady had given the team the lead in those two losses with around 2 minutes to go. So he was def clutch!

My point of view is more like this. Who would you want to quarterback your team if you could have that QB in their prime?

I think you could make good arguments for a few others but I think I'd have to take Brady. He excels against a variety of schemes. He excels under pressure. He excels no matter who's at wideout. He can get the ball to any part of the field with accuracy. And he continually drives himself to get better.

I will NEVER understand how going 4-0 is better than going 4-2. I mean the guy is less great because he made the big game two MORE times than Montana or Bradshaw! Also in theb2 losses he had gotten the lead for the team with around 2 minutes to go. I don't know what else a QB can do in those spots... he can't play D!

Also Kelly >>>>>>>> McNair and he lost 4 straight SB! The crazy notion that losing a SB makes you less of a great player is just astronomically dumb in my opinion.

Agree 100% with your first two paragraphs.

Devil's Advocate question re: the third paragraph: could Brady have led four separate head coaches to four Super Bowl appearances like Manning did?

From a ring perspective, Brady has had a massive advantage over Peyton simply because of who Brady's one single head coach has been as opposed to the handful that Peyton played under. Not saying Brady didn't have a huge responsibility for the Patriots Machine. But...

I agree with metz. Its kinda like with Jack Nicholson. He has the most second place Major finishes in golf history at 19, which is almost double the next man up on the list who has 10. So often the bridesmaid, he is widely considered a choke case and a loser despite his incredible successes.