Schefter says decision is made - Tyrod is gone

Virgil

I like Tyrod, and think he's the best QB we've had in a good 10 years.

But he's not that great. I could see the decision either way, honestly. I wish the guy well.

All that said, I find it tough to believe that they will find someone better in 2017, and that could mean a very, very ugly season (4-12 type of year).

They score points on offense and almost never turn the ball over. If all of a sudden you've got a guy throwing picks it could get ugly fast. 7-8 win teams become 3-4 win teams that way.

I tend to be a glass half full guy, what if in addition to throwing some more interceptions, the new qb also leads some 4th qtr comebacks? or throws for 300 yards every now and again rather than once every 30 games

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to be a glass half full guy, what if in addition to throwing some more interceptions, the new qb also leads some 4th qtr comebacks? or throws for 300 yards every now and again rather than once every 30 games

people are acting like it will be impossible to find a decent replacement, has everyone forgotten the 75% of games this year where tyrod was either below average or bad in. We found tyrod out of no where from baltimores bench but apparently even decent qbs cant be found anymore? The bills with tyrod will be stuck in mediocrity at best i for one would be willing to take some chances for even a chance to be better

Exactly. If were gonna destroy to rebuild do it all now. No need to waste more time. Auction off Shady and our best vets for picks and start building and getting ready for a tank.

Seriously. Might as well trade shady and hughes. By the time this team is "ready" these guys will be passed their prime.

John Murphy asking on his show, "Do you want to be good or do you want to be great?"

Loaded question but he is selling us on wanting to be great. You interpret that how you will. Seems obvious what Bills mgmt is going to do.

I thought the same thing, and I agree in principle.

I just see Tyrod as the best QB we've had in a decade. If finding one better was a given they wouldn't have taken so long just to get an average QB (which is what I think he is).

people are acting like it will be impossible to find a decent replacement, has everyone forgotten the 75% of games this year where tyrod was either below average or bad in. We found tyrod out of no where from baltimores bench but apparently even decent qbs cant be found anymore? The bills with tyrod will be stuck in mediocrity at best i for one would be willing to take some chances for even a chance to be better

Their recent history has been poor. Tyrod is much better than anyone they have had in a while.

Still, that's no reason not to keep trying. I would keep him AND keep trying to improve.

Like him or not, TT has been the best qb we have had since Bledsoe. If it is that easy to find even an average qb, why have we not done so and avoided the long list of failed qb experiments?

John Murphy asking on his show, "Do you want to be good or do you want to be great?"

Loaded question but he is selling us on wanting to be great. You interpret that how you will. Seems obvious what Bills mgmt is going to do.

I am still 50/50. There is a part of me that thinks the window is shut on this team and therefore we should begin the process of ripping it down so that we can start again.

Another part thinks "maybe there is one more year in this group that could be a playoff year?"

If they can find a way of lowering the cap penalty to get out of the deal after 2017 then Tyrod should be the Quarterback next year.... but maybe that juat delays the inevitable by a year? I don't know.

I think at #10 DeShaun Watson is probably still there and if he is I am picking him regardless and if he plays well in camp and pre-season I am starting him. Let the future be now.

Pathetic logic. Top 7 in scoring is better than good. Top 10 over 2 seasons is better than good.

Of course we all want to be great, but we can be good en route to being great. Its not greatness or bust. The seawhawks were going to the playoffs with matt freaking hasselback before becoming great with Wilson. The Steelers were going to the playoffs with Kordell Stewart before becoming great with Big Ben, the ravens were going to the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer before Flacco. The giants with collins before Eli.

5 years from now we'll be saying that the Texans were still getting by with Osweiler and Hoyer before landing their stud QB.

We dont need to go into football purgatory before becoming "great". We're cutting off our nose to spite our face. Its sad.

Seriously. Might as well trade shady and hughes. By the time this team is "ready" these guys will be passed their prime.

Exactly. Get em off the books and start stacking the salary cap space. I have to be honest though. Tyrod earned the starting job, has led his team through the ups and downs without throwing people under the bus and pouting like Cutler on the sidelines last season.

( :lol: @RLBillz cuz Cutlers ur boy! Look it up tho! )

Tyrod made this team exciting to watch, wasnt perfect but he progressed a little, dont understand how some people expect him to make a huge leap working with 3rd 4th n 5th string WRs and a pop warner passing playbook. SMH.

I live in NJ I have to stream the games from 3rd parties. Its kind of a hassle when I dont have a CPU in my room. If Tyrod is let go I dont think I can go through that every week just to watch us tank a season with a retread FA QB. Might just have to watch when its on TV here. That sucks. :thumbdown:

You don't get to "great" without first passing "good." Giants won the SB at 9-7, was that a "great" team? Are they apologizing for that Lombardi?

Get to the playoffs on a regular basis, that's what I want. Sometimes teams that do that win the SB, sometimes they still can't get a playoff win. But do that and you have a shot at a championship almost every year.

You don't get to "great" without first passing "good." Giants won the SB at 9-7, was that a "great" team? Are they apologizing for that Lombardi?

Get to the playoffs on a regular basis, that's what I want. Sometimes teams that do that win the SB, sometimes they still can't get a playoff win. But do that and you have a shot at a championship almost every year.

1000% agree

Right. We were close. Rex fcked up the defense but fixed our offense (how ironic is that?), some continuity and improved pass plays and WRs on offense with an improved defense or at least close to our 2014 defense and we could make a decent playoff run.

Or if you want to compare this to Sabres history...look at Tim Murray who presided over a tank and came out on the other side.

If what you're saying is true, and the Bills are looking at a major decline no matter what they try to do then they could just keep Whaley after bottoming out. Otherwise, cut him loose now and have someone else start over.

Doug Whaley isn't no Tim Murray. And Murray himself, much as I like his blunt talk, hasn't produced much yet.

Is this what it's come to? Parsing what John Murphy says on state controlled radio?

i can't.

there are rules against profanities on this board.

jw

:censored:

Why hide behind a censored bar, I see what you typed but what are you SAYING???

Question for JW - have you gotten the impression from other FO types in the league that DW is well thought of? I mean all the speculation on this board is 90% piss and 10% vinegar and the truth is we can all have strong opinions but will never do what he does for a living. I'm not trying to get you to give your opinion on him, just a general sense of how he and his staff are regarded. Thanks

Tyrod will not be a starting QB in NFL next year unless it's with the Bills. I don't see that happening unless it's a clear stop gap, i.e. Case Keenum situation in LA

For that matter, Anthony Lynn won't be an NFL coach next year unless it's with the Bills. I don't think he's on any team's real short list and I'm hoping he doesn't play the Bills for fools like Rex and Dougie did.

I'll go two further, Whaley wouldn't be a GM on any team except the Bills and Brandon wouldn't be President of any NFL team other than the Bills.

Translation: NONE of them are good enough for any team except the Bills.

Sorry for being so depressing and honest on a wonderful Friday.

I'm really getting tired of John Murphy. I'd like a team broadcaster who is Great.

Anyway, there's no reason the Bills can't become great while remaining "good" in the short term. Sometimes all it takes to go from 8-8 to 10-6 are a couple of lucky turnovers or kick returns...(or in the Chiefs case, a 2-pt conversion returned the other way).

Yes !!! How many Super Bowls though ? 5 or 10 ?

Hes already got one more than your boy Cutler! :lol::lol:

I bet he whoops Cutlers ass and eats his lunch next season.

This Bills shenanigan might give TT the fire to get good. real good.

Adversity and struggle breeds talent

Hes already got one more than your boy Cutler! :lol::lol:

I bet he whoops Cutlers ass and eats his lunch next season.

This Bills shenanigan might give TT the fire to get good. real good.

Adversity and struggle breeds talent

Lmao. Adversity and struggle means he grows a few inches and all of a sudden can see the middle of the field?

People underestimate the threat of Tyrod running with the ball, throwing the deep ball, or scrambling into a signature sandlot pass and the effect it has on the how defenses defend us. You will see a huge drop in offensive production next season because of this unless Drew Brees walks in here, which he wont.

Tyrod will not be a starting QB in NFL next year unless it's with the Bills. I don't see that happening unless it's a clear stop gap, i.e. Case Keenum situation in LA

For that matter, Anthony Lynn won't be an NFL coach next year unless it's with the Bills. I don't think he's on any team's real short list and I'm hoping he doesn't play the Bills for fools like Rex and Dougie did.

I'll go two further, Whaley wouldn't be a GM on any team except the Bills and Brandon wouldn't be President of any NFL team other than the Bills.

OK Ill bet you Tyrod starts for another team next season, whether its the Bills or not. Loser has to make a post after week 1 admitting defeat and chugging down crow.

Doug Whaley isn't no Tim Murray. And Murray himself, much as I like his blunt talk, hasn't produced much yet.

Is this what it's come to? Parsing what John Murphy says on state controlled radio?

John Murphy is a mouthpiece for the organization and they use him to push the narratives they are trying to sell. Listen to his show and read the spin articles being posted on his website and you can see they are trying to get us excited about next season because basically we will actually have our top 2 picks from THIS year playing; Cardale Jones is being compared to Big Ben and it doesn't really matter who our QB is because we have the best rushing attack in the league.

People underestimate the threat of Tyrod running with the ball, throwing the deep ball, or scrambling into a signature sandlot pass and the effect it has on the how defenses defend us. You will see a huge drop in offensive production next season because of this unless Drew Brees walks in here, which he wont.

OK Ill bet you Tyrod starts for another team next season, whether its the Bills or not. Loser has to make a post after week 1 admitting defeat and chugging down crow.

You're on, I'll even do it if he starts in the Keenum type situation if you will if he doesn't due to injury

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

It does seem obvious does it not?

Thing is...If that's the case I wonder what the plan is? I just can't see the Bills going the Vet route...IE...Romo, Cutler...So what I'm wondering is this...Has Whaley already sold the Pegs on taking a QB at 10? Or moving up to take one? God knows the guy just LOVES to trade away Draft picks... B-)

Im sorry, but this thread title is misleading. I haven't a single thing in this thread, online, on TSW, in Nostradamous books, the tea leaves, the tarot cards, etc. stating he is absolutely gone or that their is any credible details suggesting they know he is gone. Why do people keep posting this stuff, its all more of the same speculation all because of assumed opinions after he didn't play the last game.

I mean if ANYONE just used COMMON SENSE it would be pretty OBVIOUS that NO decision has been made YET because we have NOT hired a HEAD COACH yet.

1. I respect Schefter, but he isnt right every time, nobody is.

2. There has been no relevant information other than speculation on how people interpreted him sitting the final week, which is pretty dumb because it was pretty obvious why they sat him...the injury clause, and not knowing what the new HC is going to want to do in regards to Taylor.

TT may ultimately never play another game in Buffalo, but there is literally zero probability that it is known for sure right now and it will be a coincidence if Schefter or anyone else is proven right in their assertion that he is done here because its a 50/50 shot of being right. NOBODY KNOWS...so why keep spreading this non sense as if there is some magical insight that doesn't exist?

With respect to the highlighted area you are right that none of us knows what the outcome is going to be with respect to TT and his association with the team. But what is obvious to me is that the front office isn't impressed enough with the running qb to the point that it would firmly commit to him as their franchise qb or even next year's qb. Whaley is leaving his options open because he wants options on TT and his current contract.

There is a lot of speculation going on inside and outside of the building. What is not being done amid all the swirling rumors is the organization going to the the mic and say it is committed to TT. If the organization felt that he was anything more than being a stopgap qb it would without hesitation so state its support of him.

There is no doubt that a conclusive decision will not be made until the next HC is hired. But what is evident to me is that the front office, especially Whaley, is not overwhelmed with TT's talents to the extent they fear losing him.

Just out of curiosity Lynn has 5 interviews of the 6 open jobs and TT led a top 10 offense (using football outsiders which seems to be the preference here), why would you think that these guys have no market? It is abundantly clear that people are interested in Lynn and TT will absolutely be starting somewhere in 2017. Whether or not you think that they are top 10 or even top 20 options is different from they aren't top 32 options.

You're on, I'll even do it if he starts in the Keenum type situation if you will if he doesn't due to injury

The Texans would take Tyrod today and start him over any of their 3 QB's this weekend. The Raiders too for that matter...but he obviously would not supplant Carr in the grand scheme.

The Texans would take Tyrod today and start him over any of their 3 QB's this weekend. The Raiders too for that matter...but he obviously would not supplant Carr in the grand scheme.

That's not the question though. How many teams will pay him $18 million/yr to be the starter?

Just out of curiosity Lynn has 5 interviews of the 6 open jobs and TT led a top 10 offense (using football outsiders which seems to be the preference here), why would you think that these guys have no market? It is abundantly clear that people are interested in Lynn and TT will absolutely be starting somewhere in 2017. Whether or not you think that they are top 10 or even top 20 options is different from they aren't top 32 options.

The offense was top 10 in DVOA and Top 12 in Scoring both years. Take your pick!

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Pathetic logic. Top 7 in scoring is better than good. Top 10 over 2 seasons is better than good.

Of course we all want to be great, but we can be good en route to being great. Its not greatness or bust. The seawhawks were going to the playoffs with matt freaking hasselback before becoming great with Wilson. The Steelers were going to the playoffs with Kordell Stewart before becoming great with Big Ben, the ravens were going to the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer before Flacco. The giants with collins before Eli.

5 years from now we'll be saying that the Texans were still getting by with Osweiler and Hoyer before landing their stud QB.

We dont need to go into football purgatory before becoming "great". We're cutting off our nose to spite our face. Its sad.

You do realize that none of the QBs that you mentioned played on the same respective teams, right? It kind of buries the point that you were trying to make.

I was being a bit argumentative on a snowy Friday in Texas :flirt: , I should have qualified it and said for a winning NFL team or lead an NFL team to the playoffs

I do think TT will have a market maybe with Cleveland, Chicago or SF, but I don't see a serious playoff caliber team really being interested (i.e. Denver or Arizona)

As for Lynn, I think he's getting Rooney Rule interviews, while I like the intent of the rule, I think it creates a lot of false hope in some candidates

I was being a bit argumentative on a snowy Friday in Texas :flirt: , I should have qualified it and said for a winning NFL team or lead an NFL team to the playoffs

I do think TT will have a market maybe with Cleveland, Chicago or SF, but I don't see a serious playoff caliber team really being interested (i.e. Denver or Arizona)

As for Lynn, I think he's getting Rooney Rule interviews, while I like the intent of the rule, I think it creates a lot of false hope in some candidates

Denver tried to sign him 2 years ago BEFORE he had experience as a starting QB, what makes you think they wouldn't be more interested now?

The NHL is not the NFL. The Pegulas would look ridiculous firing coaches in consecutive seasons. If the plan is a rebuild, then Whaley should be gone now with a new GM hiring a new HC. Not buying what you're selling.

San Francisco is going with that move and it's not looking good for them.

Denver tried to sign him 2 years ago BEFORE he had experience as a starting QB, what makes you think they wouldn't be more interested now?

He would have been a good fit for what Kubiak likes to do, it will be interesting to see what direction they go in. If they land a Shannahan or similiar type I would expect them to play Lynch.