Schefter says decision is made - Tyrod is gone

Virgil

pretty obvious he's of the opinion that TT isn't good enough to get the team to the playoffs and have sustained success. I think he sees him as a high quality backup or fringe starter.What we don't know is whether there is another QB that he is targeting to bring in who he thinks can take over with at least same or better results. Could be trade, FA, draft. Or Cardale.

THEN WHY DID HE PAY HIM STARTER MONEY MID-SEASON

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.

You normally don't have such a clear example of how an NFL owner operates.

Pegula owns the other team in town, and the same guy serves as president of both teams. I think it's fair to look at the history with the Sabres, even though the NHL is not the NFL. It's still the same owners, in the same city, and its still pro sports.

One Buffalo, afterall.

Exactly.

You normally don't have such a clear example of how an NFL owner operates.

Pegula owns the other team in town, and the same guy serves as president of both teams. I think it's fair to look at the history with the Sabres, even though the NHL is not the NFL. It's still the same owners, in the same city, and its still pro sports.

One Buffalo, afterall.

What?

But there was no reason to extend him the way they did, when they did, unless they were already comfortable with him as a starter going forward.

There was a reason, to hedge against losing TT to free agency. He could have walked under the old deal. And wouldn't you walk away from a team that paid a starting QB under $3MM?

But there was no reason to extend him the way they did, when they did, unless they were already comfortable with him as a starter going forward.

the contract was done so they would have the option to keep him at a reasonable salary for a starting QB if he showed progress this year. If they hadn't extended him, and he tore it up this year, he would be going into FA right now and commanding a lot more money. They protected themselves from that and have an out if they don't think he's worth it. The contract made a ton of sense.

Let's assume for argument sake that Whaley has a very dim view of TT. If that is the case then his willingness to dispatch TT makes a lot of sense. The biggest issue Whaley probably has with the fleet footed qb is that he doesn't see the whole field. When Whaley watches the tape he sees receivers get open but the qb doesn't properly respond. Whaley repeatedly sees plays develop and the qb's timing to react to the play is just too late to make the connection. This is what the GM sees time and time again. If that is the GM's assessment then in his mind wouldn't it be better to bring in a qb such as McCarron or Glennon who can run a pro offense at a cheaper price?

You often cite statistics to strengthen your case. That is a tribute to you. But statistics don't often apply to plays that are not made that could be made. Whaley invested a lot of resources in both Watkins and Clay. You don't think that the GM gets highly aggravated when he sees these receivers get open and the ball isn't thrown to the spot where it should be thrown?

I have strong suspicions that Whaley doesn't see the cost $$$$ benefit with TT. He has probably made a judgment that unless this running qb adjusts his contract downward then he is not worth the cost. You may think his approach is injudicious and a tad reckless but I don't.

I agree with this analysis. At minimum, it makes a plausible case for why a GM might not want Taylor.

pretty obvious he's of the opinion that TT isn't good enough to get the team to the playoffs and have sustained success. I think he sees him as a high quality backup or fringe starter.What we don't know is whether there is another QB that he is targeting to bring in who he thinks can take over with at least same or better results. Could be trade, FA, draft. Or Cardale.

That's exactly who Tyrod is. I've said since before this season started.

Presumably they have some trick up their sleeve.

If they start Cardale, we'll know the tank is on.

My view? Whaley was involved with the drafting of Roethlisberger in 2004, and to him that's what an ideal QB represents. Hence the drafting of tall, big, and big-armed QBs by him (the only kind he's ever drafted--the 6'4 1/2", 250 lb Manuel and the 6'5" 250 lb Jones). He's in love with a type, and it all goes back to Big Ben. That's my take, at least. Let's just say he would have backed Johnson over Flutie!

Whether it is with Big Ben or smaller sized qbs the GM knows the importance of the ability to see the whole field and use the whole field an essential trait for that position. What makes Big Ben great is beyond his size (which certainly is appealing) is that when the play is extended he can react to what develops down field.

Go back and review most of TT's completions. What you don't often see is he throwing rhythm passes to spots before the receiver makes his moves. Many people extol the virtue of TT not throwing many interceptions. There is a negative aspect to it because he is unwilling to trust his eyes and throw into tight coverage.

In my opinion Whaley has made a judgment on what TT is capable of. He would be willing to keep him but at a lower price. I'm not criticizing the GM for being appropriately analytical in coming to a decision in this case.

I agree with this analysis. At minimum, it makes a plausible case for why a GM might not want Taylor.

I think that if you put Taylor on the Bears, they can become an 10-11 win team in relatively short order. They have some very good pieces already (don't be deceived by the poor record) and Fox can coach. Also, perhaps Fox has seen enough of the prototype qb who currently sits atop the depth chart there.

Whether it is with Big Ben or smaller sized qbs the GM knows the importance of the ability to see the whole field and use the whole field an essential trait for that position. What makes Big Ben great is beyond his size (which certainly is appealing) is that when the play is extended he can react to what develops down field.

Go back and review most of TT's completions. What you don't often see is he throwing rhythm passes to spots before the receiver makes his moves. Many people extol the virtue of TT not throwing many interceptions. There is a negative aspect to it because he is unwilling to trust his eyes and throw into tight coverage.

In my opinion Whaley has made a judgment on what TT is capable of. He would be willing to keep him but at a lower price. I'm not criticizing the GM for being appropriately analytical in coming to a decision in this case.

Amen.

I think that if you put Taylor on the Bears, they can become an 10-11 win team in relatively short order. They have some very good pieces already (don't be deceived by the poor record) and Fox can coach. Also, perhaps Fox has seen enough of the prototype qb who currently sits atop the depth chart there.

The Bears' defense is one of the few defenses with less talent than Buffalo. That said, they play in an easier division, arguably.