Schefter says decision is made - Tyrod is gone

Virgil

Foles

Then draft Budda Baker or Eddie Jackson at #10 with Hooker and Adams off the board and tell us they had them rated there all along and it wasn't a reach. :lol:

I really hope we don't go back to those days.......but there is this assumption that Whaley had no say during the Nix tenure........and I guess the reality is that all we know is that he WAS an important voice there and the only thing resembling good QB play Nix/Whaley have managed to produce with their combined scouting might in 7 years is Rex finding Tyrod. :lol:

I'm as big of a Baker-booster as believable on this board (yay for alliteration!), and even I think that'd be a reach at 10.

This offseason is basically Whaley unleashed...he better get things right.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Rex or Lynn were in those discussions. Rex was all-in on Tyrod........reportedly. There wouldn't be any benefit of including Lynn in those discussions.

Rex was all in, but those were very direct comments by Lynn. I can't imagine not involving the OC when you're evaluating the long term future of the QB

We were 7th leading into week 17. Would it be better? I dont know. Would it be near top 10? Highly likely. Its been top 10 for 2 years now. And no way we have more injuries at WR next year than we had this year

Sammy is like the only one under contract btw....

Pick up TT option, AND draft a 1st round QB for the future. If the Bills dont figure this out, then I will finally lose total faith.

Not convinced of Watson, Kizer, Allen. Trubitsky will be gone in the top 5 and Bye Felcia is early rd2 Browns pick IMO...

Thats the thing though. We cant put all our eggs in the draft basket. There is no guarantee a team will trade with us. There are no guarantees in the draft for 100s of reasons.

I agree. There is no guarantee you hit the right guy in the draft. It is a massive risk. That is why I think it is dumb to do it. Not just dumb, but irresponsible really.

Pick up TT option, AND draft a 1st round QB for the future. If the Bills dont figure this out, then I will finally lose total faith.

That would be the smart path you would think. Provides the highest chance of doing well every season for next several.

Just like they did when drafting EJ - select the best QB available - problem solved !!!

Yep. Same risk as EJ. And there would be a real risk of taking big steps backward in both the running and passing game. They would be risking total disaster and Whaley's job. If they had a 2-14 season because of really bad quarterback play, then Whaley gets the ax, even though it would only be next year.

DVOA - Offense

2013 - #25

2014 - #26

2015 - #9

2016 - #10

Put that 2014 defense with the 2016 offense and this team is 13-3 or 12-4.

We just can't get it together at once.

They won 7. Sweep Miami and the Jets are you're 11-5.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Rex was all in, but those were very direct comments by Lynn. I can't imagine not involving the OC when you're evaluating the long term future of the QB

It's fair to say they've been contemplating firing Rex for much longer than canning Tyrod.

If you mean that they were contemplating replacing Tyrod IN-SEASON then, yes, I can see them talking to Lynn in October. Sure.

But the guy's job was to build the offense around what he had available...........it would be discouraging to me to be the OC and then have management tell me it's just a temporary thing.

Where did you get that Lynn was part of meetings? Never heard that.

Lynn indicated he had had little prior contact with Whaley at his PC so him being in all the weekly meetings between Pegs/Rex/Whaley would surprise me.

Were Rob and Dennis Thurman there too?

Caveat - I'm not a crazy guy and I'm not saying this happened, just suggesting an interesting (and unlikely) possibility.

I used to read a lot of Tom Clancy books. In one he outlined how to smoke out a mole and when I saw this post and thought about the other "leaks" it made me think for one crazy second about this possibility.

So if your Pegula and you're not happy with the Rex firing leaks, how do you find the source? You plant stories with different people...Russ is told Tyrod's a goner, Whaley's told he's staying for sure,...

Doesn't matter whether Schefter or LaConjecture (props to whoever came up with that one!) breaks the story that Tyrod is a goner, we know the source ties back to Russ.

More from the original tweet:

John Wawrow ‏@john_wawrow 4h4 hours ago

For what it's worth, #Bills have been leaning toward moving on from Tyrod since October

Scotty Stej

Would be worth something if you tweeted this in October.

John Wawrow ‏@john_wawrow 14m14 minutes ago

Not like I didn't write a 900-word feature outlining questions about Tyrod's performance and uncertain future in Buffalo.

John Wawrow ‏@john_wawrow 10m10 minutes ago

And to suggest it was a done deal then was far too premature.

Bottom line is the option on the table is too rich for the performance TT put forth.

You have to rip it up and you can offer him a similar deal tied to incentives..

but the deal on the table was for a QB who could learn to see the middle of the field, win games in the 4th quarter and beat plus .500 teams

More from the original tweet:
John Wawrow ‏@john_wawrow 4h4 hours ago
For what it's worth, #Bills have been leaning toward moving on from Tyrod since October
Scotty Stej
Would be worth something if you tweeted this in October.
John Wawrow ‏@john_wawrow 14m14 minutes ago
Not like I didn't write a 900-word feature outlining questions about Tyrod's performance and uncertain future in Buffalo.
John Wawrow ‏@john_wawrow 10m10 minutes ago
And to suggest it was a done deal then was far too premature.

Crystal clear. :blink:

Put that 2014 defense with the 2016 offense and this team is 13-3 or 12-4.

We just can't get it together at once.

They won 7. Sweep Miami and the Jets are you're 11-5.

The difference is that Nix and Whaley built that defense up with heavy use of draft picks and $ over the course of several years.

Most of the offensive jump was just a lucky find in TT being added to an otherwise dysfunctional, modestly talented group.

Bottom line is the option on the table is too rich for the performance TT put forth.

You have to rip it up and you can offer him a similar deal tied to incentives..

but the deal on the table was for a QB who could learn to see the middle of the field, win games in the 4th quarter and beat plus .500 teams

which is... what Whaley outlined he had to do to show "progress"

I'm very hesitant to move on, but I'm not blinded by the "he's the best we have since Kelly" stuff either because I watch other QBs and compare him to those instead of comparing him to EJ and Trent Edwards. I'm hesitant because I don't know what is on the other side. Once I know I'll decide whether I'm depressed, excited, or ambivalent.

Edited by YoloinOhio

It's fair to say they've been contemplating firing Rex for much longer than canning Tyrod.

If you mean that they were contemplating replacing Tyrod IN-SEASON then, yes, I can see them talking to Lynn in October. Sure.

But the guy's job was to build the offense around what he had available...........it would be discouraging to me to be the OC and then have management tell me it's just a temporary thing.

Where did you get that Lynn was part of meetings? Never heard that.

Lynn indicated he had had little prior contact with Whaley at his PC so him being in all the weekly meetings between Pegs/Rex/Whaley would surprise me.

Were Rob and Dennis Thurman there too?

I would be shocked if the administration "started moving on" from Tyrod without feedback from the coaches. I don't think that Lynn needed to be in the weekly meetings. But I imagine he could gather what the administration is thinking based on the questions they're asking.

The GM needs to have a channel of communication with the coordinators. I doubt that he has regular chat sessions with them and it likely stops at the coordinator level and doesn't go down to the position level.

Let me put it this way, if Whaley's information about the team only comes from the head coach, then it's a screwed up structure.