Bills Awarded WR Justin Hunter from Waivers

26CornerBlitz

Typically I resist responding to trolls---but I'll make this exception.

First, I'm not sure it matters since I believe the gist of my post was, it is hard to criticize the pickup, given the available alternatives. At least this one has a fairly high upside, if his athletic potential is reached.

But is that potential higher than Goodwin? Well, yes, I think. Hunter is 6'4", with 20 lbs more weight on his body and a big wingspan, and nearly as fast as Goodwin. He out produced Goodwin in his first three years--but let's face it, neither of them had world-class offenses or QBs to work with. And, while having struggled with the injury bug, I don't think he's quite as fragile as Marquis. So yes, his absolute top end is probably higher than Goodwin's. Of course, that doesn't mean the probability of his reaching level X, Y or Z is higher than Goodwin's. Or that either will reach a level that means anything of importance. Seriously. how hard is that to understand?

The rule changed this year. They can only bring back one player from IR, but they don't have to designate which one beforehand. Oh, and Lawson isn't on IR, but PUP. I believe they can activate him between week 6 and week 11. But I might be off on that.

Your graciousness in response is appreciated.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rule changed this year. They can only bring back one player from IR, but they don't have to designate which one beforehand. Oh, and Lawson isn't on IR, but PUP. I believe they can activate him between week 6 and week 11. But I might be off on that.

Yep, Lawson can start practicing after game 6. And the plan is to to do that activate him for game 7. As per Whaley.

Yep, Lawson can start practicing after game 6. And the plan is to to do that activate him for game 7. As per Whaley.

I believe the plan is to have him begin to practice in week 7. AFAIK, it's not definitive that he'll be activated in that same week, but let's hope so.

I believe the plan is to have him begin to practice in week 7. AFAIK, it's not definitive that he'll be activated in that same week, but let's hope so.

Thanks. I misunderstood and thought they were planning on playing him week 7. Might be best to wait until after the bye to get him on the field.

The answer is "yes" (injury, character stuff). Fractured his ankle last November, required surgery. Titans waived him at the final roster cutdown and Dolphins picked him up but he apparently didn't stick. Unclear why. It is possible he is not fully recovered from injury.

He was arrested, charged, tried and recently found not guilty of assault and battery for a bar fight that took place in Virginia Beach 2 July. Not clear what action if any the NFL will take if any since Goodell is like the 350 lb gorilla in the room

Character issues? That's a stetch.

Even the complainant testified it wasn't Hunter who broke his jaw. Most locals believe it was just another case of VBPD's 2nd precinct targeting the biggest fish at the ocean front (as they are prone to do).

Hunter does not have the reputation of being a trouble maker or having character issues here in his hometown.

Place Hunter as the #2. Powell #1 and Woods for #3 in the slot.

Hunter > Watkins.

He's 6ft 4 and has a 78 inch wing span.

He can actually go up to get the ball.

Im sorry Watkins lovers, but he's a bust.

Numbers say otherwise.

Face it. Sammy's played his last game as a Bill.

I'm resigned to it. If by some remote chance he does ever come back that'll be gravy.

Under contract next year and Bills will pick up option in April so where is he gong?

Huh?

Those two were together for only 2 seasons that included 13 games total ,and only 48 catches.

Lal coached Harvin during Percy's rapid decline and ultimate exit from the league.

That was good production. Also Harvin finally was good in Lockerroom and such

Even the complainant testified it wasn't Hunter who broke his jaw. Most locals believe it was just another case of VBPD's 2nd precinct targeting the biggest fish at the ocean front (as they are prone to do).

Hunter does not have the reputation of being a trouble maker or having character issues here in his hometown.

his biggest character issue doing a search is in all likelyhood his,"dedication to the game of football" When a NFL player comes into camp and says " they're going to cut me" and does nothing to change the titans perception, and then gets cut. Only to go to the fish and show the same lack of intensity. Pegula and his staff are simply adding to his $$ coffers. Until he is out of the league.

Does he have talent? yea. Talking to fish friends here they new he would suck when he was claimed. And now he is a Bill with unlimited potential and a rising star in a depleted receiving core. Good luck Lynn. Really wish you could have been with a GM who understands building a team. The Bills don't even know who their starting #3 is week to week. Much less NFL caliber depth.

Im rooting for Justin. Im a track coach in Va Beach one day at a high school track meet i told him he would play for the Bills some day. He's a good kid, got in some trouble just like many young people do. He is the best athlete ive ever watched in person. I really hope this works out for him

I don't have a "dog in the fight" of whether Hunter actually broke someone's jaw or not. There was video, there was testimony. He was arrested, he was charged, he was found not guilty in a court of law.

But Janine Talley had it right: the tolerance a player is extended by the team depends on the player's "place on the totem pole". For a marginal player hoping to come back from a season-ending injury and make the roster, simply the fact of being involved in a fight and legal action is not a good look from the team's POV. Add to it the nebulous League standard of "conduct detrimental" and the variable punishments dealt out by King Roger of Goodell, and yes, it does fall under the heading of "character issue". If I'm a team choosing between Players K and M who have no legal troubles or potential league/PR issues, or Player J who does - unless Player J shows a large differential in skill and contribution, he's off to meet the Turk.

Im rooting for Justin. Im a track coach in Va Beach one day at a high school track meet i told him he would play for the Bills some day. He's a good kid, got in some trouble just like many young people do. He is the best athlete ive ever watched in person. I really hope this works out for him

I hope the Bills thing does work out, because it's nice to see a young player turn the corner and because it would be good for the Bills to have a WR with some size. On the one hand, his game logs for 2013 and 2014 are not very promising. There were games when he got lots of targets, and his catch % is low. On the other hand, I have sympathy for a WR who has had the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jake Locker, Zach Mettenberger, and Clipboard Jesus hurling footballs in his general direction, and he did look as though he were trending upward in 2015 with Mariota throwing to him, before the injury.

So we'll see, but I don't quite understand the viewpoint of some here who seem to feel he should be whisked from the parking lot onto the field - it's not as though this young man is an established starter who has shown his abilities to contribute at a high level wherever he's been. I think Woods, Clay, Powell, and Glass have been out there grinding and they deserve to have some balls thrown their way to see if they can catch them. Give this guy some time to settle in and learn the playbook and if he's contributing in practice, then see what he can do on Sunday.

Sincere thanks for the post. Pretty cool really!

Bills could be his home. Ya never know till the Fat lady sings. And she has not even warmed up on Hunter.

But i do not expect him to come in and turn heads. Bills will put him to work first. That is something i like about Lal Lee and Palmer and that group

Your graciousness in response is appreciated.

:thumbsup:

I hope the Bills thing does work out, because it's nice to see a young player turn the corner and because it would be good for the Bills to have a WR with some size. On the one hand, his game logs for 2013 and 2014 are not very promising. There were games when he got lots of targets, and his catch % is low. On the other hand, I have sympathy for a WR who has had the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jake Locker, Zach Mettenberger, and Clipboard Jesus hurling footballs in his general direction, and he did look as though he were trending upward in 2015 with Mariota throwing to him, before the injury.

So we'll see, but I don't quite understand the viewpoint of some here who seem to feel he should be whisked from the parking lot onto the field - it's not as though this young man is an established starter who has shown his abilities to contribute at a high level wherever he's been. I think Woods, Clay, Powell, and Glass have been out there grinding and they deserve to have some balls thrown their way to see if they can catch them. Give this guy some time to settle in and learn the playbook and if he's contributing in practice, then see what he can do on Sunday.

another well thought out post. If Bills jumped him ahead of even Powell i would be checking my socks for rot. Thats would be BS to the team. Make the kid , go to work and earn it.

Might be alone in my thinking but, Bills philosophy is reasonably decent in these matters , of late

Edited by 3rdand12

Would be great if Hunter found his mojo in Buffalo. Measurables off the chart.

Not holding my breath tho. Looks like the curious case of a young man who can do just about anything athletically except maybe catch a football.

Sounds like he has the wrong job

Sincere thanks for the post. Pretty cool really!

Bills could be his home. Ya never know till the Fat lady sings. And she has not even warmed up on Hunter.

But i do not expect him to come in and turn heads. Bills will put him to work first. That is something i like about Lal Lee and Palmer and that group

:thumbsup:

another well thought out post. If Bills jumped him ahead of even Powell i would be checking my socks for rot. Thats would be BS to the team. Make the kid , go to work and earn it.

Might be alone in my thinking but, Bills philosophy is reasonably decent in these matters , of late

Hopefully he works out like Jerry Hughes did for us

Goodwin can only go deep and Hunter can only go high. Can we put the same jersey on both guys so they don't know who is who and what pattern they are about to run?

Hoping we can get him involved in other spots besides jump balls and red zone but apparently he has been super inconsistent as a true wr

Goodwin can only go deep and Hunter can only go high. Can we put the same jersey on both guys so they don't know who is who and what pattern they are about to run?

Hoping we can get him involved in other spots besides jump balls and red zone but apparently he has been super inconsistent as a true wr

Goodwin probably can fit inside Hunter's jersey while he is wearing it.

Hope he can help us out. but his favorite wings are lemon-pepper?!? no way man, that's some weak sauce.

I, for one, respect his willingness to introduce a new wing flavor to WNY- especially one with a storied, cultural history. And, his description has ne intrigued: "Just know this,” he said. “If you try it, you’ll like it. It’s not hot, it’s not sweet; it’s just a good flavor.”

I'm also interested in seeing what he can do on the field tomorrow- from the seventh row around the 10-yard line! :thumbsup:

I, for one, respect his willingness to introduce a new wing flavor to WNY- especially one with a storied, cultural history. And, his description has ne intrigued: "Just know this,” he said. “If you try it, you’ll like it. It’s not hot, it’s not sweet; it’s just a good flavor.”

I'm also interested in seeing what he can do on the field tomorrow- from the seventh row around the 10-yard line! :thumbsup:

I like lemon pepper flavor, but favorite? I don't know man...

When the Bills picked up Salas, he came right in and contributed within a week. I expect to see a couple of shots going his way.

I'm not sure he will be active tomorrow. Didn't Rex allude something to the same degree earlier in the week?

Either way, if he is, I'm just as blindly optimistic as the rest here. I wanted him coming out of college and years later, here he is. Maybe another change a scenery and scheme will help?

Hopefully he works out like Jerry Hughes did for us

Its possible. Whaley scouts those early draftees hard.

But Chris williams was an abject embarrassment so could go either way. You know i am thinking SB all the time.

Its possible. Whaley scouts those early draftees hard.

But Chris williams was an abject embarrassment so could go either way. You know i am thinking SB all the time.

I think Chris Williams was an injured player the medical staff let slip through, and I believe a head rolled for that - didn't they fire Tom Gibbons as Director of Pro Personnel? Nobody came out and said "Because Chris Williams, that's why!" but it was a noted embarassment

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I think Chris Williams was an injured player the medical staff let slip through, and I believe a head rolled for that - didn't they fire Tom Gibbons as Director of Pro Personnel? Nobody came out and said "Because Chris Williams, that's why!" but it was a noted embarassment

Brother that is too detailed for me !

I do appreciate the knowledge drop though.

Hunter will need some time please Folks. He is a guy we can be hopeful for. Not a guy we should expect to step in Sunday and score the Red zone TD.

But as others mentioned, he does have some glimmer to him. He truly has upside