Rex Told Lynn That Lynn Would Be The Next Head Coach

birdo67

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I said it

And

It has....you dont see it? Put aside the fact that the D gave up those points due to lack of pass rush....poor tackling....and extremely odd corner play

THe D DOES seem to be communicating better...and they communicated better in game 1 as well.

communicating better from piles of **** to pure **** is really an improvement

I concur that he's just not into doing the work.

Last season the defense looked best in prime time vs NE* and against the Jets.

Watching the NE* game especially I wondered if maybe he only really prepared the way you need to in order to win some of the time

I said the exact same thing to my Bills friends after those two games.

• 2 months later...

I realize that this is my first post ever, so it will be taken with an extra large grain of salt, and I completely understand that.

And I can't reveal my source, but this comes from someone with knowledge of the conversation -

During this most recent off-season, Lynn had been interviewing with other teams, looking to move up the offensive coaching ladder. Rex was aware of these interviews, and he called him in for a chat. He basically said, "Look, I'm not going to stop you from interviewing with other teams. But trust me, you want to stay here. This will be my last year, and the Pegulas love you. You're going to be the next Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills."

That wouldn't have made much sense at the time, but after the start to this season, and after Roman getting fired, it's starting to look a lot more likely. So why would Rex assume or even know this would be his last year? Did the Pegulas really give him that ultimatum that we heard about? Did Rex never plan to finish out his 5-year contract in the first place?

Maybe Rex will be fired during or after this season, maybe not. Maybe we'll get another big name coach to replace him, maybe not. But if Anthony Lynn is named the next Head Coach, whether it's interim or long-term, we'll know that Rex was ready for all of this months ago.

Just thought I'd bump this thread in case Rex is actually fired per La Confora report.

I like A Lynn a lot as a candidate

What has Lynn done to prove he's a good offensive coordinator let alone a HC?? Apparently he has impressed the Pegula's with his what?? His personality?? Isn't that why they hired Rex... I just hope they don't hire him because of his skin pigmentation.

Edited by Wiz

I realize that this is my first post ever, so it will be taken with an extra large grain of salt, and I completely understand that.

And I can't reveal my source, but this comes from someone with knowledge of the conversation -

During this most recent off-season, Lynn had been interviewing with other teams, looking to move up the offensive coaching ladder. Rex was aware of these interviews, and he called him in for a chat. He basically said, "Look, I'm not going to stop you from interviewing with other teams. But trust me, you want to stay here. This will be my last year, and the Pegulas love you. You're going to be the next Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills."

That wouldn't have made much sense at the time, but after the start to this season, and after Roman getting fired, it's starting to look a lot more likely. So why would Rex assume or even know this would be his last year? Did the Pegulas really give him that ultimatum that we heard about? Did Rex never plan to finish out his 5-year contract in the first place?

Maybe Rex will be fired during or after this season, maybe not. Maybe we'll get another big name coach to replace him, maybe not. But if Anthony Lynn is named the next Head Coach, whether it's interim or long-term, we'll know that Rex was ready for all of this months ago.

how are you at picking Lottery numbers ?

Keeping A Lynn would make some sense because the offense (with a better QB) could really be good with the weapons they have, but i can't see Rex giving up on the season before it even started !

But most all of Rex coaching appointments i didn't like especially seeing as he brought them from a loosing team :doh:

So keeping the offensive coaching staff for the most part intact wouldn't be a terrible thing but the D coaches need to go !

You see how after Donny Henderson left the corner back play went in the S****ER i think this D coaching staff needs to be broken up because they have proven with 2 teams they can't do whats necessary to keep the D consistently good !!

• 3 weeks later...

Why? He has been a coach since 2000, never getting higher than running backs coach. Well until earlier this year. I don't see why he's seen as some up and coming coach?

because a lot of the attributes of a head coach can be seen without being a coordinator. i assume that he has been admired as being highly organized, a strong communicator, a leader of men, etc... which if hiring a coordinator to run the offense is really what you would want out of Lynn.

i dont know how he is behind closed doors with the nuts and bolts but i think that sometimes we as fans get crazy about a guy having to be a super successful coordinator to be a head coach but i dont love a guys playbook/play calling being the number 1 thing to look at - you can hire that at the OC level, but you cant make up for a sloppy HC even with a good playbook in his hands.

F Anthony Lynn. He never made it above position coach for a 1000 years prior to the start of this season.

It took Bill Belichick over a decade to make it to DC. Andy Reid took 15 years. Adam Gase has had a pretty impressive first year; he also started in 2000 and only became an OC in 2013. It's actually pretty standard length of rise :). Ok, maybe it doesn't usually take a millennia, but it should be something that he's both seemingly immortal and had a football job 850 years before the sport was invented.

It took Bill Belichick over a decade to make it to DC. Andy Reid took 15 years. Adam Gase has had a pretty impressive first year; he also started in 2000 and only became an OC in 2013. It's actually pretty standard length of rise :). Ok, maybe it doesn't usually take a millennia, but it should be something that he's both seemingly immortal and had a football job 850 years before the sport was invented.

Sorry. I don't want another HC press conference where the party line is "we searched around the country and Anthony Lynn was by far the BEST candidate".

Edited by LabattBlue

because a lot of the attributes of a head coach can be seen without being a coordinator. i assume that he has been admired as being highly organized, a strong communicator, a leader of men, etc... which if hiring a coordinator to run the offense is really what you would want out of Lynn.

i dont know how he is behind closed doors with the nuts and bolts but i think that sometimes we as fans get crazy about a guy having to be a super successful coordinator to be a head coach but i dont love a guys playbook/play calling being the number 1 thing to look at - you can hire that at the OC level, but you cant make up for a sloppy HC even with a good playbook in his hands.

John Harbaugh was only a ST coach and was promoted over DC Rex. it was the right move.

Prophetic

Sorry. I don't want another HC press conference where the party line is "we searched around the country and Anthony Lynn was by far the BEST candidate".

thatll be after they continue to float the idea about how coveted he is... then people will buy in and think we got the hottest candidate for pennies on the dollar

But he might be. How would you know?

You see a guy who has been a position coach for years. That's one way to look at it. One could also look at it as a man who is good at a job that he is able to keep for more that a decade in an unforgiving industry that has constant turnover. One could say he coached under Shanahan. He coached under Parcells. He coached under Del Rio. All successful HC's in the NFL. He was Rex's asst HC in NY and BUF, in spite of being "only" a position coach. That's indicative of a coach who is respected.

We shall see...

RELIABILITY METER (#1 is best.......#17 is worst)

#1- nevergiveup

#2- BuffaloATL

#3- metzelaars_lives

#4- birdo67 (that was impressive, but you gotta do it more than once)

#5- kelly blue book

#6- farmers almanac

#7- nostradamus

#8- TMZ

#9- punxsutawney phil

#10- weatherman

#11- economist

#12- ESPN Insiders

#13- psychic

#14- Thurman Thomas

#15- Mayans

#16- Skooby and sources deep within

#17- Bleacher Report

Prophetic

Indeed!

I think there is a lot to this. It's doesn't mean I think he's the guy, just that the HC needs a certain skill set beyond X's and O's. He may have it, he may not. He may still needs more time, he may not. I'd be curious to know who is really making this decision, and pray they get it right.

On a side note, Jim Bob Cooter was a graduate assistant at Tennessee in 2008, nad he's getting a lot of attention now for what seems to be a pretty good job with the Lions. ....and of course, it's just fun to say Jim Bob Cooter. :)

RELIABILITY METER (#1 is best.......#17 is worst)

#1- nevergiveup

#2- BuffaloATL

#3- metzelaars_lives

#4- birdo67 (that was impressive, but you gotta do it more than once)

#5- kelly blue book

#6- farmers almanac

#7- nostradamus

#8- TMZ

#9- punxsutawney phil

#10- weatherman

#11- economist

#12- ESPN Insiders

#13- psychic

#14- Thurman Thomas

#15- Mayans

#16- Skooby and sources deep within

#17- Bleacher Report

Think this needs some additionally updating to include road sodas, who has pretty much lost his sources. Leroi and Joe Chenelly. Maybe LaCONjecture too. Man, I miss nevergiveup

Indeed!

I think there is a lot to this. It's doesn't mean I think he's the guy, just that the HC needs a certain skill set beyond X's and O's. He may have it, he may not. He may still needs more time, he may not. I'd be curious to know who is really making this decision, and pray they get it right.

On a side note, Jim Bob Cooter was a graduate assistant at Tennessee in 2008, nad he's getting a lot of attention now for what seems to be a pretty good job with the Lions. ....and of course, it's just fun to say Jim Bob Cooter. :)

I would definitely hope Cooter was a guy on the short list for interviews, along with Kyle Shanahan in Atlanta, Bevell out of Seattle ( I said a lot about him during the last Coaching search so I won't this time, but take a look through the interwebs, some interesting stuff out there about him and what he's done), and yes, Josh McDaniels if he'll even take the call. I really believe the next HC needs to be a guy with a team-wide vision but a bent toward Offensive philosophy and capability, as well as a HC who can develop a QB. It's a must IMHO