Why did Lawson have surgery before signing a contract?

happened to dante fowler last year. he got the same deal as he would have before tearing his knee apart. this is a shoulder so much less risk than a knee injury. it also happened during a practice and it wasn't riding a motorcycle or blowing his hand off.

Seems a little strange to me. He took the risk if something went wrong and the team never signs him.

No jokes or smartass, please. Does anyone have any insight?

The surgery has a very low risk of failure and the Bills probably worked something out with him. There was very little chance something would have went wrong to where the Bills would not want to sign him at all.

Now spleen surgery on the other hand....

I think it will not effect negotiations at all......because it is a corrective procedure not due to a on field injury.

Where was he when he hurt himself? I thought a dummy was involved but I haven't been around much lately.

Seems a little strange to me. He took the risk if something went wrong and the team never signs him.

Rookie contract values are pretty much known based on where the players are selected. No risk involved for him with all parties collectively making the decision that surgery was the best course of action in the long term.

He's going to get the same contract he would have received if he didn't have surgery...not a big deal

Not only slotted, but it is guaranteed if they participate in any team activities and get hurt during said activities, the club will honor the contract slot. Once he was drafted, and did not do this outside of football...no risk...and i do mean zero risk.

Only think he would possibly lose out on is offset language....not a big deal

If I was Lawson I wouldn't be to concerned with the current front office getting one over on me.

If he couldn't even tie his shoe laces then how could anyone expect him to hold a pen to sign his name on a contract. Surgery was 100% necessary.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Players and teams sign agreements prior to players practicing. They state that if the player is injured during practices, conditioning or other team related activities they will negotiate as if the player had not sustained an injury. Teams have to honor those agreements or no player would ever practice again without a signed contract.

Where was he when he hurt himself? I thought a dummy was involved but I haven't been around much lately.

He was in the cafeteria and yes there was a dummy involved. It was Tapioca Tuesday and Rob shoved Shaq out of the way in a mad rush.

No reason not to, basically.

Very likely he's picked up some insurance in case the surgery somehow absolutely fails, but that's a very unlikely eventuality, and the Bills are going to sign him in the next few weeks, so they won't have a chance to see if he can't come back anyway. And it's a surgery that people almost always recover from very well.

No real downside for him.

He'll get paid..

If he was dominant in college with a bum shoulder think how good he could be with a fixed wing.

He's our Kyle Williams replacement, and we still have Kyle so as disappoint as it is that he won't be in training camp his future is what were after

I can't think of a worse way to begin a business relationship between a player and an organization than for said organization to penalize said player in the first contract for having a surgery everyone knew would eventually be needed.

In other words, this is a non-issue.

to me they all honestly thought he would be good to go for this year, so no rush on Lawson's part to sign. I believe there was no deception on either side. he simply "did" something to it in OTAs which set it off unfortunately, which accelerated the surgery. this is football, guys get hurt all the time. as Whaley said , the human mind loves the game and loves to play it and watch it. but by no means is the human body designed in any way shape or form to handle the hits and twists and impacts it deals out. not by a long shot.

this is a far less concerning version of Willis McGahee.... tremendous talent/damaged goods you get to pick at 19 when he should have gone top 5 or 10. He's a huge bargain...

plus , this is the Bills we are talking about here (making this somewhat inevitable... :)

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

I have a feeling that's going to happen to a lot of guys this year.

Well he stepped on Sammy's foot right before pushing Shaq.

Rumor has it though that Pegula has had enough and will be replacing tapioca Tuesday with Turkeyburger Tuesday which should calm things down a bit.....at least until Steak and Eggs Saturday.

Edited by 4merper4mer