Eric Striker

I don't think he'll be a linebacker in the NFL I see him as a hybrid safety. Another poster mention Bryan Scott - that's an excellent comparison.

I could certainly be wrong and they see him as a backup for Hughes' position - with added weight as you suggest.

He's definitely an interesting player and someone I'll be watching for sure.

Agreed, he may not have great straight line speed, but he looks like an instinctive playmaker

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't teach what this kid has, but you can't coach what he doesn't have, either, chiefly the speed to be a DB or the size to be an LB. Very impressive off the ball. I wonder what his 10 yard split is.

GO BILLS!!!

Can't teach what this kid has, but you can't coach what he doesn't have, either, chiefly the speed to be a DB or the size to be an LB. Very impressive off the ball. I wonder what his 10 yard split is.

GO BILLS!!!

Not great--his fastest 10s was 1.69. For comparison, Shaq's was 1.64

I'm actually surprised by that time for Striker. He appears much quicker off the snap. He might be one of those guys who has better football speed than track speed. Been a ton of great players who can say the same.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think he'll be a linebacker in the NFL I see him as a hybrid safety. Another poster mention Bryan Scott - that's an excellent comparison.

I could certainly be wrong and they see him as a backup for Hughes' position - with added weight as you suggest.

He's definitely an interesting player and someone I'll be watching for sure.

Not sure how much weight he puts on, but some just for durability. But his burst is stupid. this little guy getting under and around tackles !

Hybrid? agree. Bryan Scott is the Mike ?

not so much.

This kid is explosive and relentless.

he will make the team

“If you draft me, I’m going to bring a shot of adrenaline to your defense — a shot of energy,” Striker wrote in a pre-draft article for The Players’ Tribune. “I’m a high-motor guy on the field and a high-energy guy in the huddle, in the weight room and on the practice field. There are some things you can’t teach. You can’t teach heart. You can’t teach hustle. You can’t teach having a relentless motor that never, ever quits.”

http://m.newsok.com/article/5495260

:thumbsup:

Bills undrafted LB Striker receives award

Bills undrafted rookie LB Erik Striker was formally presented with the Otis Sullivant award on the Oklahoma University campus Monday.

Named the award’s 15th recipient last month, Striker was the first student to ever receive it according to the OU Daily. The Sooners pass rusher was given the award based on his leadership during the Sigma Alpha Epsilon incident in March 2015. Striker spearheaded discussions on diversity and helped to open dialogue between student leaders and SAE Chapter Officers and the Oklahoma University President.

I'm actually surprised by that time for Striker. He appears much quicker off the snap. He might be one of those guys who has better football speed than track speed. Been a ton of great players who can say the same.

GO BILLS!!!

Thats what I see from him, especially his play speed when tracking, IMO its noticeably faster than his timed speed.

Edit: Would rather have him coming off the edge than IK.

Edited by P51

Seems like a great kid.... but 227 lbs and a 4.8 forty aren't a winning combination.

Maybe a pro training regimen can make him bigger, faster.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/video-oklahoma-lb-goes-nsfw-rant-beating-tennessee/

...................Great kid with some maturity issues?

Thats what I see from him, especially his play speed when tracking, IMO its noticeably faster than his timed speed.

agree with both comments.

His anticipation when chasing his targets change of direction stand out to me.

I'd rather have you coming off the edge than IK.

Per PFF......Another player who had exceptional production but just doesn’t fit the size profile the NFL looks for, Eric Striker had 126 total pressures over the past two seasons, which is 59 more than both Leonard Floyd and Shaq Lawson and 10 more than Emmanuel Ogbah – all of whom were drafted within the first 32 picks. What kept Striker from that lofty status is the fact that he is 5-foot-11 and weighs less than 230 pounds. His coverage grade has been impressive each of the past two seasons — as well as his pass rush, obviously — but the NFL does not have a ready-made position for him to play, and in that regard Rex Ryan may be the best possible coaching fit for Striker. He can be an impact role player despite his size if he is used creatively

Per PFF......Another player who had exceptional production but just doesn’t fit the size profile the NFL looks for, Eric Striker had 126 total pressures over the past two seasons, which is 59 more than both Leonard Floyd and Shaq Lawson and 10 more than Emmanuel Ogbah – all of whom were drafted within the first 32 picks. What kept Striker from that lofty status is the fact that he is 5-foot-11 and weighs less than 230 pounds. His coverage grade has been impressive each of the past two seasons — as well as his pass rush, obviously — but the NFL does not have a ready-made position for him to play, and in that regard Rex Ryan may be the best possible coaching fit for Striker. He can be an impact role player despite his size if he is used creatively

Somebody please tell this author that Rex Ryan isn't creative and isn't capable of fitting his scheme to his players' talents.

This is one of the character guys that you really want to succeed. At least for me. I tend to value character in my team. I find i easier to be a fan of guys that I respect off the field, as well as on. Not sure Rex feels the same way...

P51 is no joke!

P51_Mustang_Wairarapa.jpg

who doesn't love a 450 mph Mustang ?

No question about that. I just wonder about whether he has enough sand in the pants to succeed at the next level.

pretty easy to find sand to fill the jock with i would think

Somebody please tell this author that Rex Ryan isn't creative and isn't capable of fitting his scheme to his players' talents.

You tell him ! I ain't gonna do it.

Well I'd hate to bring up a undersized player who washed out with Bills but was successfully utilized by Rex for a short period - Eric Flowers. If he can make use of that player he can find ways to make it work for Striker if Striker is willing to put in the time both in gym and books.

Tell him yourself.

Well I'd hate to bring up a undersized player who washed out with Bills but was successfully utilized by Rex for a short period - Eric Flowers. If he can make use of that player he can find ways to make it work for Striker if Striker is willing to put in the time both in gym and books.

Tell him yourself.

Huh?

Perhaps you're thinking of Maybin?

GO BILLS!!!

What the hell does that even mean?

Apparently pass rushers are supposed to be bigger. This guy made plays by never letting the OT lay a hand on him. He ran right around them and got to the QB. Did it a lot too. Did it in like 2 seconds too. No wonder a tackle couldn't get a hand on him. Interesting pick for sure.

Bandit, do you (or does anyone here) have an idea how significant that difference is to the game of football?

I could easily see situations where 0.05 sec faster on a track, in shorts and running shoes, is negated by football smarts and superior reaction speed.

Bandit, do you (or does anyone here) have an idea how significant that difference is to the game of football?

I could easily see situations where 0.05 sec faster on a track, in shorts and running shoes, is negated by football smarts and superior reaction speed.

Seeing as how it's a measure of explosiveness and short-area quickness, it can be vitally important, especially for guys with a hand in the dirt that need to get off the ball and disrupt things in a hurry. It's a good indicator of "football" speed.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

This is one of the character guys that you really want to succeed. At least for me. I tend to value character in my team. I find i easier to be a fan of guys that I respect off the field, as well as on. Not sure Rex feels the same way...

I agree with you on the first 90% of your post but think you are a little harsh on Rex. I have been critical of his system and its results but I don't think he has anything against guys with high character. Does he take too many chances on guys with low character? Maybe, but I don't think that means he prefers low character.

Striker's attitude and work ethic give him a HIGH odds chance at success. If not as a player then maybe as a coach. If not in football then in something else. I would love to see it happen as a player.