Anybody know what Doug Whaley studied in college?

We know he went to Pitt but I can't find anywhere what he studied. Was it at all related to management/sports management? I'd be curious to know his GPA as well. Same for the Ryan brothers, the pride and joy of Southwestern Oklahoma State.

Business Finance.

He was a retail stock broker on Wall Street before applying for an internship with the Steelers

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/05/16/buffalo-bills-general-manager-doug-whaley-wall-street/2191723/

CBF

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/2009/01/04/Bouchette-on-the-Steelers-Bill-Cowher-s-brief-flirtation-with-Browns-a-peek-into-future/stories/200901040209

Whaley, an Upper St. Clair native who played at Pitt and graduated with a degree in business/finance, worked one year as a Wall Street stockbroker before he became a scouting intern with the Steelers in 1995.

My kids went to Upper St Clair (~16 kids with perfect board scores when my oldest graduated)...its certainly in the top 1% of high schools in the country. Got to see Whaley play for the championship all state team there. He's no dummy but I lost a bit of admiration for him when he allowed the Rob Ryan hire. Really, really hoping he knows what he is doing going forward.

It just amazes me when people think GPA has anything t do with learning anything. Life lessons and other how to succeed lesson aren't part of the GPA and I have found I'd rather hire a bunch of people who had 3.0 GPA versus 4.0 since many of the folks who,had 3.0 lived and experienced college and learned the lessons for life.

It just amazes me when people think GPA has anything t do with learning anything. Life lessons and other how to succeed lesson aren't part of the GPA and I have found I'd rather hire a bunch of people who had 3.0 GPA versus 4.0 since many of the folks who,had 3.0 lived and experienced college and learned the lessons for life.

Well you obviously don't run a business or manage people because that's the biggest line if self supporting malarkey ever. As someone with extensive experience with college kids, I'll take the high gpa kid over the mediocre "college experience" (see: immature, lazy) kid every time if we're talking entry level. Once you build a career and resume, gpa means nothing more than an indicator of potential drive, motivation, and intelligence.

It doesn't bother me. But I was asking why he thinks it is relevant. I have no idea what the OP is driving at.

It's relevant because Whaley is certainly not known for his eloquence, but obviously there are smart people out there who are not good public speakers. Everyone thought it was relevant that Marv Levy had a Harvard M.A. because it signaled that he has a high general level of intelligence, something that kind of came in handy in whatever career track he pursued even though English history isn't terribly relevant to NFL coaching ....

It's relevant because Whaley is certainly not known for his eloquence, but obviously there are smart people out there who are not good public speakers. Everyone thought it was relevant that Marv Levy had a Harvard M.A. because it signaled that he has a high general level of intelligence, something that kind of came in handy in whatever career track he pursued even though English history isn't terribly relevant to NFL coaching ....

He's not a charismatic public speaker, but when I've heard him interviewed on radio he expresses himself clearly and well. I wouldn't call Whaley a poor public speaker. The only bone I have to pick is he chooses "big words" when smaller ones would do and occasionally uses them incorrectly, but that's not uncommon and I give him props for trying to show a good vocabulary.

It doesn't bother me. But I was asking why he thinks it is relevant. I have no idea what the OP is driving at.

It's going to be a loooong offseason, I can see it now - "where did Rex used to eat lunch in high school?", "What was Terry Pegula's favorite car wash post-college?", "Did Russ Brandon get smiley faces or frowny faces on his pre-school report card?".

Enquiring minds want to know...

He majored in broken dreams with a minor in betrayal. But it wasn't until he began coaching that he learned to punt from the 30 yard line so he's always evolving

Wrong Doug!

HIPPA info no doubt.

It's going to be a loooong offseason, I can see it now - "where did Rex used to eat lunch in high school?", "What was Terry Pegula's favorite car wash post-college?", "Did Russ Brandon get smiley faces or frowny faces on his pre-school report card?".

Enquiring minds want to know...

Wow, those are some excellent OPs to start some very enlightening threads with. Now get to it! :w00t:

My kids went to Upper St Clair (~16 kids with perfect board scores when my oldest graduated)...its certainly in the top 1% of high schools in the country. Got to see Whaley play for the championship all state team there. He's no dummy but I lost a bit of admiration for him when he allowed the Rob Ryan hire. Really, really hoping he knows what he is doing going forward.

It's not Whaley's job to determine what assistants are on Rex Ryan's coaching staff.

Well you obviously don't run a business or manage people because that's the biggest line if self supporting malarkey ever. As someone with extensive experience with college kids, I'll take the high gpa kid over the mediocre "college experience" (see: immature, lazy) kid every time if we're talking entry level. Once you build a career and resume, gpa means nothing more than an indicator of potential drive, motivation, and intelligence.

must be a small business. grad school attendees and post grad school students, well, GPA literally means nothing. companies in general are starting to look for at the completion of the program, rather than where you finished. that's just fact. it's a societal shift.

in regards to the bold text, studies show that GPA is NOTHING more than an indicator of how well an individual can retain new information. it is NOT an indicator of motivation, nor intelligence. GPA has never been an indicator of intelligence, and it is definitely NOT an indicator of how well someone will PERFORM or impact a business.

that's very outdated thinking, that's often ridiculed by modern business and HR models. haha very very dated thinking.

same could be said for athletes. just because you performed better than some in college, and got drafted first round, does not guarantee success at the next level. retaining information, which is all a GPA reflects, doesn't show adaptability, people skills, DRIVE, or work ethic. It's simply a number.

Using this method of hiring or judgment in most cases, will land you employees that look good on paper, and nothing more.

Edited by 87168

must be a small business. grad school attendees and post grad school students, well, GPA literally means nothing. companies in general are starting to look for at the completion of the program, rather than where you finished. that's just fact. it's a societal shift.

in regards to the bold text, studies show that GPA is NOTHING more than an indicator of how well an individual can retain new information. it is NOT an indicator of motivation, nor intelligence. GPA has never been an indicator of intelligence, and it is definitely NOT an indicator of how well someone will PERFORM or impact a business.

that's very outdated thinking, that's often ridiculed by modern business and HR models. haha very very dated thinking.

same could be said for athletes. just because you performed better than some in college, and got drafted first round, does not guarantee success at the next level. retaining information, which is all a GPA reflects, doesn't show adaptability, people skills, DRIVE, or work ethic. It's simply a number.

Using this method of hiring or judgment in most cases, will land you employees that look good on paper, and nothing more.

Depends on the profession. My brother, who is a longtime chemical engineer at DuPont, says that for engineering hires GPA is EVERYTHING. Which makes sense.

When I look at Doug Whaley, a few things come to mind before he even opens his mouth:

1) His eyes look lazy a lot and he looks stoned;

2) When he poses in a Press Conference photo with Terry, Russ, Rex and a new player, he always holds the ball tight in his arm (whereas Russ holds it like a schoolgirl on the playground)

3) He looks stoned...wait, did I say that already?

I don't care if he went to Buff State, Yale or Alabama...the guy appears tough, innovative, hard working, and talented (see trade for Hughes, Shady, and draft of Darby, acquisition of Tyrod). Good work Doug!!

Depends on the profession. My brother, who is a longtime chemical engineer at DuPont, says that for engineering hires GPA is EVERYTHING. Which makes sense.

hm, yea. must be. my fiance whom is a Clinical Psychologist and works in Autism Research (at a university here in Seattle) will say otherwise, as well as my relative that works in HR for the largest software company on earth.

anyone can take a closer look at what it takes to get into college, versus what it took in the 80's or 90's, and see the emphasis has shifted.

my fiance applied for the same grad school of her choice and got rejected. Her GPA is a 3.9 from UB. Psych degree. She was told she needed more CLINICAL EXPERIENCE. she went out and got it, while interning at The Jacobs Institute in the BNMC. Next attempt, she gets in. Once she was in grad school, she realized that without that experience she would have been LOST in terms of implementation. keep in mind this was something that she couldn't do during her undergrad phase.

again, it is no longer advantageous for companies to look at GPA as the main tool for hiring. It shows one thing and one thing only.

but then again, different fields...

Edited by 87168

???

Whaley controls the 53 man roster and scouting. He builds the draft board with input from others.

Rex does not report to Whaley, and Whaley does not control or have approval over the hiring and firing of coaching assistants. He can give input of course, but he doesn't "allow" anything.

Re: the Rob Ryan hire, having made the decision to retain Rex, it only makes sense for the Pegulas to give him complete freedom over his assistant coaching staff. But to whom much is given, much is expected.

I don't even get that. :blink:

It must be a case of mistaken identity. kdiggz must think the thread is about St Doug, not the current GM Whaley.

Or, kdiggz drank a case of something or other.

Oops! Freudian slip. You mention the name Doug and I get all worked up. Sorry Mr. Whaley!