Megatron to retire? (Update- he is done)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@adamschefter

Calvin Johnson told family 2015 would be his final year and delivered same message to Jim Caldwell after season ended, sources told ESPN.

Until he files his paperwork, I'm not sure he's actually done. We will see. Very possible, maybe even probable, he's done.

When you know, you know.

A supreme physical specimen, production to back it up. It's been a pleasure watching him and I hope he enjoys his retirement.

And when you're a receiver in a league that can't even define "catch," you know.

I would vote for him. I'm not sure there has been a WR with his combination of size, speed and skill.

@spotrac

Reportedly set to retire, #Lions WR Calvin Johnson has reeled in $113.8M in 9 seasons. He leaves $67.7M on his deal.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Ever since Borland/Willis, I'm convinced that players on their own time and money are getting checked for CTE.

Is it coincidence that UCLA discovered an approach to test for it in a living body in 2013?

there is no way to check for cte... Soooooooooo not really

Until he files his paperwork, I'm not sure he's actually done. We will see. Very possible, maybe even probable, he's done.

I dove into this story as he is one of my favorite non-bills players. From what I have found it appears he told his family and Caldwell before the season it would be his last. At the end of the year Caldwell told him to take some time. Most people FEEL he hasn't changed his mind. I'm not saying this won't happen but it is no more definite than it was when it was originally floated in early January.

You all think he's a hall of famer? I'd say no. Wondering what you guys think

Not a first ballot guy but it's not his fault he was stuck in Detroit on bad teams. He's the most amazingly gifted physical specimen to ever play the WR position. He would probably still be playing if he thought Detroit had a chance. Not much different than what happened with Barry Sanders. I wonder if that had any kind of influence on him

FWIW - when i was volunteering coaching the NFL Experience in Tampa for the Cardinals / Steelers SB, the active players, and former guys are on the field with you as you work with the youth. Of all the players i spent time with, he was by far the nicest, most gracious guy to the kids, to us, and I didn't see that as an act.

He just had so much fun with the kids. We had a bunch of groups from the Boys and Girls Clubs in some tough neighborhoods, the kids of the active military as Tampa has a huge base here that is Central Command, special needs kids which was my favorite as i think they appreciated it the most, and so on.

He was one class act. I hate to see him retire and really though last month after some time to heal he would come back. He was the most dominant WR I've ever seen and yes like the other poster I'm old enough to watch Rice, and Swann. He was just a man amongst boys. It's funny as the last guy I remember I hated seeing retire young as you just wanted more was from Detroit. Barry Sanders. Two great players on bad teams.

"There's a lot more scientific investigation and rigor and publication and peer review that needs to be done on this

[...]

t is not yet clear if currently available scans are actually showing signs of CTE or if they are indicative of other conditions, such as Alzheimer's disease.

[...] diagnoses of CTE indicators [...] [emphasis mine]

[...]the UCLA CTE study was "promising work," adding the researchers were "honest about the limitations as well as being excited about the findings."

"This is the holy grail if it works. This is what we've been waiting for, but it looks like it's probably preliminary to say they've got it,"

Yes, yay for reading. Try it sometime.

He's walking away from like 16 mill. this year. Body must be wrecked. Or he's sick of Michigan. Respect either way.

I now think Stafford's career will soon be done too, unless the Lions draft a good replacement. Stafford has consistently underperformed.

Anyway, good luck to Megatron in his retirement

Megatron probably is the most physically gifted WR ever. But the HOF? Bo Jackson might be the most physically gifted PERSON ever, and the most complete threat at RB the league has ever seen. He was also an amazing baseball player. And Bo Jackson is not in the HOF for either sport. Jackson's career was shortened by injury, while it might be that Megatron shortens his career voluntarily. The HOF voters will look to some imaginary scorecard -- career totals, MVPs, Super Bowl rings, etc. If the player's career is shortened and he can't show great totals, he's pitched aside by the selection panels.

Megatron probably is the most physically gifted WR ever. But the HOF? Bo Jackson might be the most physically gifted PERSON ever, and the most complete threat at RB the league has ever seen. He was also an amazing baseball player. And Bo Jackson is not in the HOF for either sport. Jackson's career was shortened by injury, while it might be that Megatron shortens his career voluntarily. The HOF voters will look to some imaginary scorecard -- career totals, MVPs, Super Bowl rings, etc. If the player's career is shortened and he can't show great totals, he's pitched aside by the selection panels.

I'd be curious to see some of his totals. 9 years is shortened but not flash in the pan.

I'd be curious to see some of his totals. 9 years is shortened but not flash in the pan.

Ask and...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_yds_career.htm

27. Calvin Johnson (30) 11,619 2007-2015

det

300 yards less than Michael Irvin, who played 11 years.

Definitely won't be first ballot. Way too many more deserving guys ahead of him.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_td_career.htm

Edited by FireChan

Ask and...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_yds_career.htm

27. Calvin Johnson (30) 11,619 2007-2015

det

300 yards less than Michael Irvin, who played 11 years.

Definitely won't be first ballot. Way too many more deserving guys ahead of him.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_td_career.htm

Yeah but Irvin played in a different era.

So sick of salivating over other teams' potential castoffs. Maybe with better coaching scouting we could discover our own talent?

Some of the better talent that has been developed in recent years in Buffalo hasn't stayed. Some fans dislike that revolving door sensation, while some other fans get fired up about being cap thrifty.

Calvin certainly has the production to merit HOF consideration, but the longevity and lack of playoff production will be the stumbling blocks in his way. Had he played 2 more years at the level he did last year his numbers would be pushing the top 10 for receiving yards and he'd likely have a more open and shut case. His 2012 season was one of the best receiving seasons ever.

Calvin certainly has the production to merit HOF consideration, but the longevity and lack of playoff production will be the stumbling blocks in his way. Had he played 2 more years at the level he did last year his numbers would be pushing the top 10 for receiving yards and he'd likely have a more open and shut case. His 2012 season was one of the best receiving seasons ever.

yup. 2 more 1500 yard seasons and he's 6th and then it's one or two decent seasons and he's 2nd all time. I thought he'd have the best shot at rice a couple years ago but guess not. I'm starting to wonder if we ever see any of the top records go down with the early retirement. Watt has a great shot at the pace he's on for the sack record but who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

While I think he's probably the most amazing physical specimen for a WR, his production doesn't merit the HOF.

I would say debatable. My initial thought is no. But, he did borderline dominate his generation for about 5 years. It will be a good conversation and some close votes.

I now think Stafford's career will soon be done too, unless the Lions draft a good replacement. Stafford has consistently underperformed.

Anyway, good luck to Megatron in his retirement

This will really hurt Stafford. Probably Tate. And, most likely send Detroit to the bottom of the division for a while.

On another note and what crushed Detroit is having so many top 3-5 picks under the old CBA. Just terrible timing and did them no justice or at least shrunk their window of opportunity by a lot! Terrible timing!!