Deactivate Mario??

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would go a long way in showing the team accountability. If u don't want to cover ur rush lanes, and don't feel like contributing in any way other than complaining to the media, sit in the press box. I don't want the guy in my locker room .

It makes no odds now anyway does it? He is playing his last game as a Bill next week. As much as I like Mario and think Rex has totally misused and mismanaged him he quit on the season after the game in London. That is not acceptable and I am not giving that kind of guy $18m next season.

I tried to "isolate" on Mario today with the Bills on D (as best I could with the regular network game feed ... the All 22 will tell the full story later this week). He is still dropping into coverage a significant portion of the time. I don't know why I thought it, but somehow I had thought that Rex might've just unleashed him, a kind of "Mario, you want to be free to roam, show me what you can do." But no. Rex is too stubborn for that. Or maybe too afraid of what would happen? But Mario's critics also have a point - even when he was rushing it was mostly half-assed rushing. Not maximum effort, to the whistle ...

The Hoody*** and some others would have cut him weeks ago. That is what well run ( although cheating) franchises do.

if anyone watched him today, he barely went through the motions except a play or two. jarius Wynn

If healthy can do that for a fraction of what Mario makes.

F6

I tried to "isolate" on Mario today with the Bills on D (as best I could with the regular network game feed ... the All 22 will tell the full story later this week). He is still dropping into coverage a significant portion of the time. I don't know why I thought it, but somehow I had thought that Rex might've just unleashed him, a kind of "Mario, you want to be free to roam, show me what you can do." But no. Rex is too stubborn for that. Or maybe too afraid of what would happen? But Mario's critics also have a point - even when he was rushing it was mostly half-assed rushing. Not maximum effort, to the whistle ...

IMO Rex has been saying in his own unique way. I am the boss, do what I want. The 100 million dollar man says FU.

The Hoody*** and some others would have cut him weeks ago. That is what well run ( although cheating) franchises do.

if anyone watched him today, he barely went through the motions except a play or two. jarius Wynn

F6

Yeah cutting a guy who was one year removed from being an all pro would be an awesome move. Every player on the defense is underachieving. I wonder why.

F6

Agreed ... I saw the same thing today. A lot of quitting on plays, and it was obvious when you compared his effort to Lawson (who played hard right till he had to go out with an injury) and Hughes.

It makes no odds now anyway does it? He is playing his last game as a Bill next week. As much as I like Mario and think Rex has totally misused and mismanaged him he quit on the season after the game in London. That is not acceptable and I am not giving that kind of guy $18m next season.

Sounds about right. What a waste!

Mario is playing how he is coached.

He has not givin up and is still an elite talent.

Releasing him would be a huge mistake.

Imo

Is he being coached to jog against the OL?

Yeah cutting a guy who was one year removed from being an all pro would be an awesome move. Every player on the defense is underachieving. I wonder why.

C biscuit, players are accountable for their terrible play -- or should be, especially when making $20 million a season. Outside of a bizarre vulture sack on Bradford, Williams has zero tackles in the last 3 weeks despite playing nearly every play (he does have 2 assists). Manny Lawson makes plays. Stefan Charles makes plays. hughes makes plays. The difference is that they actually try and refrain from bitching.

Edited by dave mcbride

C biscuit, players are accountable for their terrible play -- or should be, especially when making $20 million a season. Outside of a bizarre vulture sack on Bradford, Williams has zero tackles in the last 3 weeks despite playing nearly every play (he does have 2 assists). Manny Lawson makes plays. Stefan Charles makes plays. hughes makes plays. The difference is that they actually try and refrain from bitching.

Yep. The first 5/6 weeks up until the Jags game I thought Mario was trying but being misused. Since then he has given up which is why other guys even being misused are making plays and he isn't.

We know why. Does that give until recently the highest paid DE reason to simply Quit because he doesn't like his new role? No matter how stupid it is. Would you rather see him go and try to compete or just stand there which he almost does? the Bills suck as it is. Playing with virtually 10 players isn't scoring Mario any new suitors. he is a quitter and in team sports they always are frowned on. especially as the highest paid player on the team.

Even when he was lined up and a play called to rush the passer. His best asset, he either did not or simply went through the motions. With a single blocker easily taking him out. The teams know this. he is worse than starting a scrub IMO. I doubt any team actually game plans for his " elite" skills. best of luck to him in the future. he is a pampered turd and brings zero to a team first game.

There's absolutely no way you know.

Mario Williams

Pre Bye Week

7 games 10 tackles 3 assists 3 sacks 3 STF

Post Bye Week

7 games 3 tackles 1 assist 1 sack 0 STF (edited to include today's game - shut out again if I am not mistaken)

I am clearly not an expert, nor claiming to be, but he certainly doesn't look the same, and he is clearly not getting off 1on1 blocks.

Edited by What a Tuel

prior to today, he had dropped back 21 times out of 795 snaps all season. That's not a lot at all and hardly worth the hype. I saw others say he dropped back a lot today - Rex probably pissed at him? However, I am sure you saw the plays when he was only asked to rush the passer and couldn't beat the TIGHT END blocking him 1:1.

Save your outrage for a player who tries.

prior to today, he had dropped back 21 times out of 795 snaps all season. That's not a lot at all and hardly worth the hype. I saw others say he dropped back a lot today - Rex probably pissed at him? However, I am sure you saw the plays when he was only asked to rush the passer and couldn't beat the TIGHT END blocking him 1:1.

Facts! Thanks, man.

He dropped into coverage just once vs. the Skins, and it was the right call -- it broke up a screen.

No a well run organisation/coaching staff wouldn't be forcing their system down players throats when it won't work, they play to their players strengths. BB and the Pats use their players to their strengths and adapt to the players they have. Rex tries to make square pegs fit into round holes, and when it doesn't work,he just keeps trying....

Mario Williams

Pre Bye Week

Post Bye Week

7 games 3 tackles 1 assist 1 sack 0 STF (edited to include today's game - shut out again if I am not mistaken)

I am clearly not an expert, nor claiming to be, but he certainly doesn't look the same, and he is clearly not getting off 1on1 blocks.

isn't this exactly what happened leading to him becoming a FA from the Texans? They tried to fit him out of his natural position and he looked bad and didn't play hard

Mario Williams

Pre Bye Week

Post Bye Week

Yep - that backs up what my eyes told me. Until Wembley he was trying despite disagreeing with his usage. He checked out at that point.

No a well run organisation/coaching staff wouldn't be forcing their system down players throats when it won't work, they play to their players strengths. BB and the Pats use their players to their strengths and adapt to the players they have. Rex tries to make square pegs fit into round holes, and when it doesn't work,he just keeps trying....

Bill also has no problem sitting people who don't buy into his system.

No a well run organisation/coaching staff wouldn't be forcing their system down players throats when it won't work, they play to their players strengths. BB and the Pats use their players to their strengths and adapt to the players they have. Rex tries to make square pegs fit into round holes, and when it doesn't work,he just keeps trying....isn't this exactly what happened leading to him becoming a FA from the Texans? They tried to fit him out of his natural position and he looked bad and didn't play hard

So what you're saying is he is a quitter? unless everyone coaches him by his rules?

I don't think it works that way. But Mario is special.

All four of our D lineman were on that all pro list from last season. ALL FOUR.

Now they are all a bunch of bums. All of them (I know KW is hurt) Hughes is te best but he is barely above average. And it's very evident he is trying his heart out.

Hughes is a great example of using a aterrible their strengths. He stunk in Indy became an all pro in B-lo now he is average. Schem scheme scheme.

All o these all pros suck now. I know Mario has given up but he sucked before he have up too.

The bills roster is like an F1 race car is 1200 horsepower ..... Being entered into a demo derby- while a F1 race at would win most any race on pavement, it's not going to survive a demo derby.

isn't this exactly what happened leading to him becoming a FA from the Texans? They tried to fit him out of his natural position and he looked bad and didn't play hard

His last 6 games with the Texans he had 10 tackles 1 assist 5 sacks and 0 STF. That is more like the first half of this season than the second half where he isn't trying.

Not really a fair comparison though because he is 4 years older.

When a player so obviously quits on his teammates, coaches, and fans, you simply can't blame the scheme. Scheme has NOTHING to do with beating the man in front of you, regardless. Ryan deserves criticism for not being able to best maximize talent with scheme, but he can't coach character. Nobody can.

As I said in another thread, Mario was the best player on this team his first three years here, but he quit and that is unprofessional on EVERY level. And if I am a team thinking about signing him, I gotta think twice now. The film doesn't lie and quitting is now on Mario's resume.

Time for him to go.

GO BILLS!!!

Mario Williams

Pre Bye Week

Post Bye Week

Obviously somethings not right. I see him trying - as has been talked about ad nauseum he locks horns with the o lineman and that's it. So it's either he's pouting or he's being asked to do that.

For you to say he has quit and your eyes aren't wrong - I'm saying you can't know that.

No. The Hoody and a well run team would say "Mario, get after the QB" and he would be in the Pro Bowl

Edited by MarkyMannn

I have defended Mario since the media started bitching and moaning about his fridge and would not give him a break at all when he had a broken hand.

Having said that:

(1) Is anyone willing to bet the millions of dollars that we would have to pay him next year (without a pay cut or cutting him) that he has not or will not mail it in -- especially when we can spend that money on others like Cordy Glenn who came back to the team after losing a kidney?

(2) Pretty much anyone on this board could replicate Mario's production this year.

I have defended Mario since the media started bitching and moaning about his fridge and would not give him a break at all when he had a broken hand.

Having said that:

(1) Is anyone willing to bet the millions of dollars that we would have to pay him next year (without a pay cut or cutting him) that he has not or will not mail it in -- especially when we can spend that money on others like Cordy Glenn who came back to the team after losing a kidney?

(2) Pretty much anyone on this board could replicate Mario's production this year.

I understand the kidney thing and all and like an underdog as much as the next guy. Anyone find a site where Glenn is at least in the top half of all LT's. Like 16th or better. Still to loose him with the other issue the OL has would be tough to resolve

Under wade he averaged a sack a game prior to injury

When a player so obviously quits on his teammates, coaches, and fans, you simply can't blame the scheme. Scheme has NOTHING to do with beating the man in front of you, regardless. Ryan deserves criticism for not being able to best maximize talent with scheme, but he can't coach character. Nobody can.

This pretty much sums it up.