Deactivate Mario??

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shelf this man. I was a big Mario supporter, but seeing him play patty cake all game yesterday angers me.

Save the 12 mil and get two decent to above average starters with it.

It will suck Mario will go to another team and be a pro bowler. If his effort is lacking, it is inexcusable. But man did Rex ruin a good thing.

Shelf this man. I was a big Mario supporter, but seeing him play patty cake all game yesterday angers me.

Save the 12 mil and get two decent to above average starters with it.

this. It's his own fault. Winners do whatever they can to help the team. Losers whine and blame others. He's never won anything. I don't care how many pro bowls he has made or will make. Highly disappointing.

prior to today, he had dropped back 21 times out of 795 snaps all season. That's not a lot at all and hardly worth the hype. I saw others say he dropped back a lot today - Rex probably pissed at him? However, I am sure you saw the plays when he was only asked to rush the passer and couldn't beat the TIGHT END blocking him 1:1.

Sometimes even when he doesn't drop back, he is merely holding his ground. He doesn't pursue the quarterback in this stupid defense. Once in a while he jumps, as if to block a pass. You do see this, no?

I cannot understand how a fan could not be outraged. Would people think it was normal if Richard Dent was covering receivers? Or Bruce Smith?

The situation is freaky and has destroyed this team.

PS: I do believe that he is dogging it. But Pegula will save 12 million if he is cut. It will cost more than 20 mil. to get rid of the biggest cause of failure, which is Rex.

Edited by Bill from NYC

was it Deion Sanders when Mario signed in Buffalo, that said " you will never see the playoffs in Buffalo?"

Whoever said that. Well It was correctly called.

Who would have thought Marios lack of interest would contribute to that? He went into cruise control

Under Maroon too once they got eliminated every year. So Sunday everyone gets to see him stand there embarrass himself

Or legacy if he had one.

And more importantly the franchise in his last game as a Bill.

The scheme theory doesn't hold a lot of water imo. hasn't he dropped into coverage around 30 times all season?

hardly a major factor. Not absolving Rex of any blame. But the highest paid player on the team simply quit.

and amazingly everyone on OBD is seemingly OK with that?

Sometimes even when he doesn't drop back, he is merely holding his ground. He doesn't pursue the quarterback in this stupid defense. Once in a while he jumps, as if to block a pass. You do see this, no?

I cannot understand how a fan could not be outraged. Would people think it was normal if Richard Dent was covering receivers? Or Bruce Smith?

PS: I do believe that he is dogging it. But Pegula will save 12 million if he is cut. It will cost more than 20 mil. to get rid of the biggest cause of failure, which is Rex.

Yes.

This.

+1,000,000.

This is exactly the issue.

Yolo, imagine if we all told you to no longer use Twitter for your sources and you have to go on YouTube comments?

This guy is being asked to do the ridiculous. I believe every single one of us would be upset if we were asked to do less or something that s not what we are known for, especially considering this is equivocal to a sales job and this is taking a cut of his commission.

was it Deion Sanders when Mario signed in Buffalo, that said " you will never see the playoffs in Buffalo?"

Who would have thought Marios lack of interest would contribute to that? He went into cruise control

Under Maroon too once they got eliminated every year. So Sunday everyone gets to see him stand there embarrass himself

Or legacy if he had one.

The scheme theory doesn't hold a lot of water imo. hasn't he dropped into coverage around 30 times all season?

hardly a major factor. Not absolving Rex of any blame. But the highest paid player on the team simply quit.

It was Rodney Harrison who said he just took the money and will never get a Super bowl ring playing for the Bills.

Yes.

This.

+1,000,000.

This is exactly the issue.

Yolo, imagine if we all told you to no longer use Twitter for your sources and you have to go on YouTube comments?

This guy is being asked to do the ridiculous. I believe every single one of us would be upset if we were asked to do less or something that s not what we are known for, especially considering this is equivocal to a sales job and this is taking a cut of his commission.

i have always said that there should be shared accountability. Going back to the first part of the season. Not that the scheme is blameless - that is obvious. Instead of sharing some accountability for his poor effort and play, he continues to blame everything else around him. He is part of the problem, but he's never once admitted it or appeared to want to be part of the solution at least on the field. He's taking a poor scheme and making it worse by not trying or just straight up not beating his man when he is just asked to get to the QB. It's not about saying one side is right and the other is wrong. He doesn't get to take the season off and make the team worse because the scheme sucks. If he wants to win, he should still go balls to the wall on every play. It's highly disappointing. Edited by YoloinOhio

He dropped back once against Washington--once. And it was a screen play in which his dropback screwed up the play. He doesn't drop back much at all, and Yolo has the stats to back it up.

Or legacy if he had one.

Mario Williams is 2nd on the team with sacks with 4.

Jerry Hughes has 5. He is a sack machine and busting his ass week after week. Even than, he has done a lot of stand up and hold ground play.

Dareus has 2 sacks.

Those three last year had 30+ sacks. This year, they have 11.

The rest of the team has 9.

It's more telling that Mario has 13 solo tackles vs. Hughes 35 solo. Total, Mario has 17 tackles and Hughes has 49. Teams are not running at Mario. Even our OLB's are ****.

Even last year Mario had a measly 42 tackles in a much different, more aggressive defense.

More telling information. Our Safeties have more than double the solo tackles (Graham 90, Rambo 44) of our MLB (Brown 63). Add Darby (61) and you have 195 solo tackles by DB's.

Last year, in Schwartz's run prone defense Gilmore (38), Brooks (30) and McKelvin (45) had 113. Spikes had 33. Brown 66. Alonso in 2013 had 87 solo. We had 57 sacks and 23 INT's that year, lest anyone forget.

The stats there tell you that Rex Ryans defense is **** against the run. It's more than players not getting it - it is putting too much on the smaller DB's to stop the run and that results in injuries - Aaron Williams and Stephon Gilmore!

Rex Ryan must go.

He dropped back once against Washington--once. And it was a screen play in which his dropback screwed up the play. He doesn't drop back much at all, and Yolo has the stats to back it up.

those stats just explain the drop backs. the drop backs are not the issue. the issue is that he and the rest of this defense are not playing their best possible football.

see above at my last post.

Ryan is asking these guys to hold a solid line and when you're sack machine DL had 34 sacks between MWilliams, Hughes and Dareus and now they have 1/3 of that and those three have 114 tackles this year whilst 143 last year (Kyle had 42). Include Bryant this year and add 40. Either way, our guys are being tasked to hold the line and let the LB's clean up the play.

This is the type of defense where you need great LB's to overcome everything. It puts everything. . . . EVERYTHING . . . . on the LB squad. If they can't get in to position due to smarts or speed we're screwed and the DB's have to clean up. That's what is happening and that is what failed us. We stopped doing what we were good at because Rex is a moron.

i have always said that there should be shared accountability. Going back to the first part of the season. Not that the scheme is blameless - that is obvious. Instead of sharing some accountability for his poor effort and play, he continues to blame everything else around him. He is part of the problem, but he's never once admitted it or appeared to want to be part of the solution at least on the field. He's taking a poor scheme and making it worse by not trying or just straight up not beating his man when he is just asked to get to the QB. It's not about saying one side is right and the other is wrong. He doesn't get to take the season off and make the team worse because the scheme sucks. If he wants to win, he should still go balls to the wall on every play. It's highly disappointing.

I know I am not an expert but this is my honest input here.

what he is being asked to do is so easy to him, so simple and requires so little effort he just doesn't care anymore. Literally, in this scheme he is asked to hold the edge and not let the run come his way. To seal the edge and let the DT's and LB's take care of it. He is simply being asked to go out there and make sure the play goes inside. It's such rudimentary football that anyone can do it and it is not utilizing his talent.

I came to this conclusion watching footage of the last few years of Jets D. The Jets/Ryan never had good DE's like we have (yes, he's had 34 DE's but they're soooo different). He doesn't know how to use them. He always had a good MLB and great DT's. Now he had both and even better pass rushing DE's. He has always used excellent man coverage CB's and the run stopping SS, smart enough to stop whatever the rest of the team misses. The clean up guy.

Rex in Buffalo has outstanding pass rushing DE's and DT's. Lousy LB's. Phenomenal CB's. And above average Safeties. He doesn't know how to work with the talent he has because he has never had this type of talent.

This worries me; he's going to want to neglect the pass rush in a league that is all passing to bring in big stuffing DT/NT. He's going to bring in totally different MLB's and put it all on a mixture of 3 CB's who have never covered in the league without a pass rush. Who often find themselves trailing and needing safety help over the top. Those safeties won't be there to help because they'll be helping on the run and their first step will be forward.

Our Defense, if Ryan is still here, will look like the Poz/George Wilson/Kelsey/Florence type of defense. I promise.

He played 54 snaps (92%) and didn't record a single assisted tackle. He had Zero Point Zero on the stat sheet. It isn't ALL scheme. He isn't wrong about the scheme isn't a good fit for him, no one is saying that he is. But he is not winning his 1:1 battles when he is just rushing passer and you would think he could record an assisted tackle even by accident.

He played 54 snaps (92%) and didn't record a single assisted tackle. He had Zero Point Zero on the stat sheet. It isn't ALL scheme. He isn't wrong about the scheme isn't a good fit for him, no one is saying that he is. But he is not winning his 1:1 battles when he is just rushing passer and you would think he could record an assisted tackle even by accident.

yesterday not withstanding, yes, it was clear he just didnt' care.

there was an article last offseason that he is not winning 1:1 battles. it was remarkable. trapasso even had an article this past week about it. mario has never been that great at the 1:1 matchup. that is why he SHOULD be succeeding in this scheme - he should be fitting in well holding up guys and consuming blockers/space. but, even when he does and had done so earlier his LB's were miserably failing to step up and stop the run. there were a lot of second level runs even if we ahve been a good run defense.

we've been a good run defense because we had mario and hughes set the outside edge. i promise.

Forgetting about the drop backs - I wonder how many times he is being told to just hold the edge and not go after the QB. In this case it wouldn't matter if he was 1-1 with a TE, if he's being told not to go after the QB it doesn't matter. I think this non-attacking philosophy then just permeated (destroyed) his overall play - with his attitude being "I'm just supposed to fill this space and hold my ground - if that's how they want me to play that's how I'll play"

Edited by stevewin

Forgetting about the drop backs - I wonder how many times he is being told to just hold the edge and not go after the QB. In this case it wouldn't matter if he was 1-1 with a TE, if he's being told not to go after the QB it doesn't matter. I think this non-attacking philosophy then just permeated (destroyed) his overall play - with his attitude being "I'm just supposed to fill this space and hold my ground - if that's how they want me to play that's how I'll play"

IMO your giving Mario too much credit. No,doubt Rex has screwed this up bigtime. But some plays he doesn't

Even engage with his opponent. Honestly, I cannot come up with any other Bills Ever playing like that. Going back decades.

IMO your giving Mario too much credit. No,doubt Rex has screwed this up bigtime. But some plays he doesn't

Even engage with his opponent. Honestly, I cannot come up with any other Bills Ever playing like that. Going back decades.

Mario's role in this defense was like Chris Kelsey's.

The not engaging hte player like we have seen several times is not uncommon. I am not trying to give a million excuses but when you set and edge and play the outside hold the edge, secure the fort and keep the play inside type of game you end up playing a wait and see defense.

Rex ran a 34 in NJ. He had a great pass rushing, disrupting DE who only once got 10.5 sacks. His second best year with Rex was 5.5. This year under Bowles he has 12.5 and a totally different responsibility. The Jets D is entirely made over with scheme and it shows. Rex doesn't know how to use edge defenders to generate pass without exposing a weak interior. With our substandard LB unit we are doomed with the scheme.

Rex held them back, he's holding us back!

I am going to beat this drum until people listen or until I get banned/threatened with a crusade. Rex Ryan is our problem. Mario Williams is a symptom.

I'd be fine if he just wasn't winning his battles. The problem is that he obviously isn't even trying. He suits up because if he doesn't he doesn't get paid. One play he jumped out of the way of the loose football like if it touched him he would be disfigured. Guy is everything you teach kids not to be on the football field and is a disgrace to himself, his teammates and to the organization. Deactivate him for the Jets game and cut him in the offseason.

If Rex would adapt his scheme to maximize what the players do best, This would still be a top 5 unit. He has the players, he just don't know how the :censored: to use them right.

Too dang stubborn. And Mario is not helping things either. He's clearly not all in with this and is just going through the motions. Maybe they could trade him to a team willing to part with a couple of quality O-Linemen

If Rex would adapt his scheme to maximize what the players do best, This would still be a top 5 unit. He has the players, he just don't know how the :censored: to use them right.

Too dang stubborn. And Mario is not helping things either. He's clearly not all in with this and is just going through the motions. Maybe they could trade him to a team willing to part with a couple of quality O-Linemen

He does not have the players. The only thing he has are the DLs and the CBs. The Lbs are mediocre as are the safeties. If he ran Schwartz's system, they probably would get more sacks, but also would rank near the bottom in yards and points.

Funny I only see him dropping into passing lanes maybe 10% of the time.

The rest of the time I see him failing to beat his right tackle even when singled up.

Hard to think a guy like Jarius Wynn would play worse than Mario has this season.

It isn't all scheme people, he rushes a lot and just can't get there. Like, ever.

The not engaging hte player like we have seen several times is not uncommon. I am not trying to give a million excuses but when you set and edge and play the outside hold the edge, secure the fort and keep the play inside type of game you end up playing a wait and see defense.

Unfortunately, the tape shows Mario "setting the edge" (cough) by allowing the runner to run right past his face and take the outside for huge gains. If that is what he is being asked to do, then he isn't very good at it.

Rex ran a 34 in NJ. He had a great pass rushing, disrupting DE who only once got 10.5 sacks. His second best year with Rex was 5.5. This year under Bowles he has 12.5 and a totally different responsibility. The Jets D is entirely made over with scheme and it shows. Rex doesn't know how to use edge defenders to generate pass without exposing a weak interior. With our substandard LB unit we are doomed with the scheme.

I am going to beat this drum until people listen or until I get banned/threatened with a crusade. Rex Ryan is our problem. Mario Williams is a symptom.

It's impossible to argue the fact That Ryan needs to go. it was a bad hire from Day 1. How can he possibly justify his failure this season?

he certainly can't say personel. One would think in a hiring like this. That stuff would be hashed out before the deal got inked.

That said I always thought the Bills had a replay guy of their own in the booth. And staff that could keep technology like headsets powered up. The ability to simply use hand signals to call a play in. WRONG!

This franchise has zero soul. Screw the ping pong table. Go to best buy and get some discounted video technology. Right now this is Just a big mouth clown show. Rex is a bad fit for Buffalo's image. besides the fact he is outdated, a poor gameday manager, and basically clueless. Living off his Dad's one great season.

Unfortunately, the tape shows Mario "setting the edge" (cough) by allowing the runner to run right past his face and take the outside for huge gains. If that is what he is being asked to do, then he isn't very good at it.

yes. Of recent he doesn't care too much. Its 50/50 that and 50/50 maybe he messed up.

I'm not going to fully weigh the effort of a man but it is clear he is not firing on all cylinders. Injured? Lazy? Disinterested? I don't know. He's just not playing as well as he is capable.

To put another scoop of **** on Rex. He should see that and pull Mario. If Mario comes out against the Jets effortless than Rex needs to pull him. However he won't because he is a candy ass

I'm listening.

I would like to know how much difference you think Spikes would have made. That seemed like a "moneyball" decision.

yes. Of recent he doesn't care too much. Its 50/50 that and 50/50 maybe he messed up.

I'm not going to fully weigh the effort of a man but it is clear he is not firing on all cylinders. Injured? Lazy? Disinterested? I don't know. He's just not playing as well as he is capable.

To put another scoop of **** on Rex. He should see that and pull Mario. If Mario comes out against the Jets effortless than Rex needs to pull him. However he won't because he is a candy ass

Doesn't Mario kind of have a past history of going to half-assed effort when he doesn't like the scheme? In Texas, which made him available, then again under Wannstache once it was clear Dave's scheme wasn't going to get it done?

Funny I only see him dropping into passing lanes maybe 10% of the time.

The rest of the time I see him failing to beat his right tackle even when singled up.

Hard to think a guy like Jarius Wynn would play worse than Mario has this season.

It isn't all scheme people, he rushes a lot and just can't get there. Like, ever.

Ba-Bingo.

I'm listening.

I would like to know how much difference you think Spikes would have made. That seemed like a "moneyball" decision.

If you look at 2014 tapes, Spikes' impact is huge.

I'm listening.

Doesn't Mario kind of have a past history of going to half-assed effort when he doesn't like the scheme? In Texas, which made him available, then again under Wannstache once it was clear Dave's scheme wasn't going to get it done?

It probably was a moneyball decision to some degree. It was also not knowing what we have with the youngsters and Powell got hurt. I do not remember off hand but Spikes played 1/3 of the snaps last year, at most. His role diminished as the season went along, especially in the middle.

There were times when we did not need him against certain teams. However, we needed him in most games at least 3-4 times where it was critical. This year we could have used him. He would have looked awful to the fans, though. He would have consumed blockers much like Brown did except he would be in the right position at the right time.

Spikes can fight through traffic, is stouter as a person and provides attitude to the team. His leadership would have helped. He would have likely got in the face of guys like Mario when **** went sour. He got in the face of a few guys last year. The two seemed to be ying and yang last year; I'd have liked to have seen them paired this year.

We also needed to have kept a better safety option. Aaron Williams is not a tackler for a safety. I see him regressing in this system next year even more as he beats his body up and as he is not able to use his strengths.

Again, Rex Ryan is the sickness. Mario Williams is a symptom. I don't blame Mario for doing what many of us would have done professionally. Most of us can quit/resign. Mario cannot.

If you look at 2014 tapes, Spikes' impact is huge.

He would have been left out to dry some this year.

Last year he swallowed up blockers. He consumed ball carriers. He found a way to literally get in between the end zone and the ball every single time. The best part about that was that he was also hitting everyone in his path and carrying blockers. He got knocked for being slow but by the time he fought traffic someone else made the play.

Schwartz had us like bees swarming to the ball. Ryan has us like ants waiting for someone to cross our line.

this. It's his own fault. Winners do whatever they can to help the team. Losers whine and blame others. He's never won anything. I don't care how many pro bowls he has made or will make. Highly disappointing.

This. I was harping on this theme last week as well. Groups of players become teams when they play for each other, first and foremost. Forget the coaches, forget the fans; players must adopt a foxhole mentality and play for each other. Anything less is an insult. I thought Sammy nailed it again with his postgame comments yesterday.

History is littered with great players who never learned the lesson. Mario can take his place on the trash heap.

GO BILLS!!!

It probably was a moneyball decision to some degree. It was also not knowing what we have with the youngsters and Powell got hurt. I do not remember off hand but Spikes played 1/3 of the snaps last year, at most. His role diminished as the season went along, especially in the middle.

There were times when we did not need him against certain teams. However, we needed him in most games at least 3-4 times where it was critical. This year we could have used him. He would have looked awful to the fans, though. He would have consumed blockers much like Brown did except he would be in the right position at the right time.

Spikes can fight through traffic, is stouter as a person and provides attitude to the team. His leadership would have helped. He would have likely got in the face of guys like Mario when **** went sour. He got in the face of a few guys last year. The two seemed to be ying and yang last year; I'd have liked to have seen them paired this year.

We also needed to have kept a better safety option. Aaron Williams is not a tackler for a safety. I see him regressing in this system next year even more as he beats his body up and as he is not able to use his strengths.

Again, Rex Ryan is the sickness. Mario Williams is a symptom. I don't blame Mario for doing what many of us would have done professionally. Most of us can quit/resign. Mario cannot.

He would have been left out to dry some this year.

Last year he swallowed up blockers. He consumed ball carriers. He found a way to literally get in between the end zone and the ball every single time. The best part about that was that he was also hitting everyone in his path and carrying blockers. He got knocked for being slow but by the time he fought traffic someone else made the play.

Schwartz had us like bees swarming to the ball. Ryan has us like ants waiting for someone to cross our line.

Utter baloney. The absence of Spikes is the reason this defense is so pedestrian. He was the cog in the middle that allowed Schwartz to run the DLs upfield without worrying the backside. Whenever Spikes was out Bradham & Brown were exposed as inferior LBs. That's what you're seeing this year.

Of course Mario & Dareus like last year's scheme better because they had a very good player covering their back. This year they don't. There's one player who was here in 2014, who isn't here in 2015 and wasn't here in 2013. Look at the difference in performance.

Take out Spikes and mix in a quitting Mario, and you get the 2015 defensive performance.

Utter baloney. The absence of Spikes is the reason this defense is so pedestrian. He was the cog in the middle that allowed Schwartz to run the DLs upfield without worrying the backside. Whenever Spikes was out Bradham & Brown were exposed as inferior LBs. That's what you're seeing this year.

Of course Mario & Dareus like last year's scheme better because they had a very good player covering their back. This year they don't. There's one player who was here in 2014, who isn't here in 2015 and wasn't here in 2013. Look at the difference in performance.

Take out Spikes and mix in a quitting Mario, and you get the 2015 defensive performance.

I don't think we're understanding each other, or that you're understanding me.

I agree with you with what I understand.

Spikes in this system, though, I do not see him contributing like we would hope. I see him being a liability. Partially without Kyle Williams in there and due to the fact that Dareus doesn't swallow space I see OL beating our DL and eating Spikes alive. I am 50/50 on what would result.

Spikes would take up blockers and free up other LB's to make the tackle with the S.

or

Spikes would defeat the blockers and attack the ball consistently actually contributing more than he did last year due to a more consistent and less pressuring system. He would likely be in the backfield more, as part of this. He would have some free reign.

I tend to believe the first part. I think it would be better this way, not to mention he would be calling plays and making decisions on the field.

The biggest problem I've found with Rex this year is that he cares more about being liked than being respected. Accountability isn't something that's been his trademark. He hasn't learned a thing being fired from the Jets