Deactivate Mario??

worse yet. put him at nose. f with his head. he would have to something or get injured.

and yea i did read the whole thread BADOL

so what what he thinks? when does that come onto play?

19 million of my dollars he is pissing away

get to line and go to work

somebody else needs to feed their family and will put the effort forward

fat can be a state of mind too.

Bills should be paying him piecework

Yep your right, who cares what the players think. It wasn't just Mario complaining and looking lost. If that's how Rex was thinking it bit him in the...

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep your right, who cares what the players think. It wasn't just Mario complaining and looking lost. If that's how Rex was thinking it bit him in the...

who was it exactly?

Complaining I meant?

Edited by 3rdand12

So he suddenly forgot how to coach a defense in six months?

Nope, these pro bowl,well established defenders did. Come on man, just admit Rex did a crappy job coaching this d this year. Hopefully a little humility helps him be a better coach. I think even he will admit this at seasons end.

who was it exactly?

Complaining I meant?

This has been my favorite complaint so far

http://www.syracuse....all_over_t.html

"We're all over the place," defensive back Corey Graham said. "We're all over the place, we don't know what's going on half the time. Half the time guys are running in, running off, guys are trying to get calls, trying to figure it out. We're not going to win because we're not good right now."

who was it exactly?

Complaining I meant?

After all the articles quoting players( plural) on how late the calls come in, late substitutions, bad use of personnel etc., I'll let you find them yourself. I really want to ask where have you been, Pluto? You can look it up if you need proof, it's in print.

This has been my favorite complaint so far

http://www.syracuse....all_over_t.html

I was going to pick Presto Brown and the same exact subject. something is wrong with the mid level coaches or assistants. recall the challenge flag issues ?

you did not include all of Corey's quote i noticed..

Edited by 3rdand12

Lambasting a guy who was 1st team All-Pro just last year and 2nd team All-Pro in 2013 seems ridiculous. When one looks at Mario's track record as a Bill, then compares it to the track record of the guy who orchestrates this defense, I'm shocked that posters really choose to castigate Williams over directing their ire where it should be focused- on defensive "mastermind" Rex.

After all the articles quoting players( plural) on how late the calls come in, late substitutions, bad use of personnel etc., I'll let you find them yourself. I really want to ask where have you been, Pluto? You can look it up if you need proof, it's in print.

I read everything Dopey. I am asking you if you do.

What did Eric Wood say?

no one said bad use of personnel ever.

and critiquing me as coming from pluto is bad form.

it's Mars, idiot

Lambasting a guy who was 1st team All-Pro just last year and 2nd team All-Pro in 2013 seems ridiculous. When one looks at Mario's track record as a Bill, then compares it to the track record of the guy who orchestrates this defense, I'm shocked that posters really choose to castigate Williams over directing their ire where it should be focused- on defensive "mastermind" Rex.

Without being harsh Russell,

Please watch all22 with Mario.

He really called it quits at some point.

One hell of a football player. But one moody son o B word. ask his fiance j/k / sarcasm

btw

context is everything as we have learned form Sal and Vic and Jerry and Bucky and etc

" They're trying to figure it out, we're trying to figure it out. When it's all said and done we just have to execute."

that is what Corey finished with in the quote

May i add that Corey Graham plays 110 percent all game long

Edited by 3rdand12

Here's the thing: he doesn't try. Yet he's he one of the highest paid players in NFL history. The excuses for Mario Williams strike me as incredibly perverse, regardless of what one thinks of Ryan as a coach. Compare his effort to Hughes every game. Seriously -- do it.

I think it might send the message Watkins was talking about.....if the Bills are going to move on from Mario and I think they will, why not also send a message for next season if you aren't producing, we will find someone else and you will be gone.

God i can't even remember a batted pass from Mario, if he cant get motivated for 12.9 million next season(non-bonus) then I don't know what makes him tick.

Edited by billsfan714

I read everything Dopey. I am asking you if you do.

What did Eric Wood say?

no one said bad use of personnel ever.

and critiquing me as coming from pluto is bad form.

it's Mars, idiot

Without being harsh Russell,

Please watch all22 with Mario.

He really called it quits at some point.

One hell of a football player. But one moody son o B word. ask his fiance j/k / sarcasm

btw

context is everything as we have learned form Sal and Vic and Jerry and Bucky and etc

" They're trying to figure it out, we're trying to figure it out. When it's all said and done we just have to execute."

that is what Corey finished with in the quote

May i add that Corey Graham plays 110 percent all game long

Actually you didn't ask if I read, you asked who exactly. Which came off as a smartass remark and not a question at all. And you expect Wood to side with Mario? Wood knows he's on thin ice cuz he sucks, but I brought up defensive players bitching. Backed up by other posters. Again, there are quotes complaining of bad use of personell. Look it up. Bad form?! Calling someone an idiot cuz you disagree is bad form,asswipe. You should know better. Edited by Dopey

Actually you didn't ask if I read, you asked who exactly. Which came off as a smartass remark and not a question at all. And you expect Wood to side with Mario? Wood knows he's on thin ice cuz he sucks, but I brought up defensive players bitching. Backed up by other posters. Again, there are quotes complaining of bad use of personell. Look it up. Bad form?! Calling someone an idiot cuz you disagree is bad form,asswipe. You should know better.

:cry: i was kidding about the idiot remark.

Apologize if i have offended you.

: )

This has been discussed ad nauseam.

Mario has mailed it in, but Rex is the reason this defense is a complete mess.

And is this talk about Brandon Spikes a joke? He was solid last year, but he is the main reason this defense blows? Are you kidding? As someone pointed out he was in on 44% of the snaps.

The defense flowed through the front four in 2014. They blew up offensive lines and as a result made the LB's look like all stars. That is what made this defense go.

Rex has made the front four completely non existent. 4th to 32nd in Sacks....But yes we miss Brandon Spikes, that is why our defense sucks. :doh:

My guess is they will show improvement next year but the team will remain mediocre. It's not just the defensive coaching that sucks. The team lacks attention to detail which has been a big reason for why they've lost a lot of close games this year.

Painfully so.

Edited by 3rdand12

And is this talk about Brandon Spikes a joke? He was solid last year, but he is the main reason this defense blows? Are you kidding? As someone pointed out he was in on 44% of the snaps.

The defense flowed through the front four in 2014. They blew up offensive lines and as a result made the LB's look like all stars. That is what made this defense go.

Rex has made the front four completely non existent. 4th to 32nd in Sacks....But yes we miss Brandon Spikes, that is why our defense sucks. :doh:

My guess is they will show improvement next year but the team will remain mediocre. It's not just the defensive coaching that sucks. The team lacks attention to detail which has been a big reason for why they've lost a lot of close games this year.

We are 31st in sacks this year, not 32... Atlanta has only 19, we have 20 thanks to Rex and his blitz strategies. Maybe we can sack Fitz next Sunday a few times and move up to 30th??? Rex has his Bully.

1st (not 4th) to 31st in sacks. Edited by dave mcbride

I don't understand why some just can't seem to accept parallel realities for the problems on the D side of the ball.

Rex Ryan and his defensive staff did a poor job coaching, especially in the aspect of maximizing skill sets to schemes.

Mario Williams up and quit on his teammates, coaches, and fans.

I know which problem is more egregious in my view.

And which one more readily fixed.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't understand why some just can't seem to accept parallel realities for the problems on the D side of the ball.

Rex Ryan and his defensive staff did a poor job coaching, especially in the aspect of maximizing skill sets to schemes.

GO BILLS!!!

They are equal. Two calls into Terry's office, and bags packed for the both of them.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd have a much easier time swallowing the hyperbole surrounding Rex's so-called dismantling of the defense if:

1. This defense hadn't been decimated by injuries. If you're going to ignore this fact, I have no time for you.
  2. They hadn't shown--at times--that the pieces/scheme is there to dominate.
  3. They hadn't slipped to mediocrity. Fans talk as if the defense---as it had been from 2010-2013--has been ranked 25th in below in key categories. It's simply not. It's hovering around 15-20th with a 16th ranking in SPITE of all the injuries and Mario forcing the unit to play 10 v 11.
Edited by The Big Cat

They are equal. Two calls into Terry's office, and bags packed for the both of them.

Not even close to being equal.

I'd have a much easier time swallowing the hyperbole surrounding Rex's so-called dismantling of the defense if:

1. This defense hadn't been decimated by injuries. If you're going to ignore this fact, I have no time for you.
  2. They hadn't shown--at times--that the pieces/scheme is there to dominate.
  3. They hadn't slipped to mediocrity. Fans talk as if the defense---as it had been from 2010-2013--has been ranked 25th in below in key categories. It's simply not. It's hovering around 15-20th with a 16th ranking in SPITE of all the injuries and Mario forcing the unit to play 10 v 11.

I don't disagree with any of this, especially with the impact that injuries have played. Especially in year one of a new scheme implementation.

I can't ignore the obvious confusion on the field, however. Too many times, these players weren't aligned and ready for the snap. The first few times I could pass it off as players simply not knowing their assignments. But it was a season-long problem. I put that on the coaches to make an adjustment but it never came. This is fixable, however.

Mario Williams' character issues are not. He needs to leave.

Edited by K-9

I don't disagree with any of this, especially with the impact that injuries have played. Especially in year one of a new scheme implementation.

I can't ignore the obvious confusion on the field, however. Too many times, these players weren't aligned and ready for the snap. The first few times I could pass it off as players simply not knowing their assignments. But it was a season-long problem. I put that on the coaches to make an adjustment but it never came. This is fixable, however.

I'm thoroughly frustrated by the confusion too. But then they come out in some games (NE2) and that confusion is completely gone. I don't profess to diagnose the cause for that inconsistency and I'm baffled by fans who are certain of that cause. Certainly some if it is on "coaching." But what the hell does that even mean? Seriously, it could mean dozens of things. Putting the blame on "coaching" is such a lazy, broad-strokes gripe, that if you start pressing people who want to blame "coaching," invariably they resort to complaining about things they have virtually zero exposure to.

But we all see the confusion. What's causing it sometimes and not causing it at others, I'm truly baffled by.

Why not?

So what's your friggin point? Just this once, make one. PLEASE

I said it's just as easy to fix the defense as it is to fix the Mario problem. Fire Rex and fire Mario. Again, if you actually read the words instead of jumping into a rambling narrative, you'd be fine. I wasn't even addressing you, but K-9. And for whatever reason, you feel the need to yet again bash everyone on the head with your posts.

I said it's just as easy to fix the defense as it is to fix the Mario problem. Fire Rex and fire Mario. Again, if you actually read the words instead of jumping into a rambling narrative, you'd be fine. I wasn't even addressing you, but K-9. And for whatever reason, you feel the need to yet again bash everyone on the head with your posts.

Well, if you think 6 DC's in as many years and overhauling a system again is the way to go and that it's easier to do that than find players to match the one you got, well then I've got nothing to add since you're plainly ignoring anything that's happened in the NFL over the last 50 years.

Go ahead and consider yourself bashed by history. You can blame it on me if you like (you like to do that so much). But it's really not about me.

Well, if you think 6 DC's in as many years and overhauling a system again is the way to go and that it's easier to do that than find players to match the one you got, well then I've got nothing to add since you're plainly ignoring anything that's happened in the NFL over the last 50 years.

Go ahead and consider yourself bashed by history. You can blame it on me if you like (you like to do that so much). But it's really not about me.

It's not? Why'd you post this?

92% of snaps and not a mention on the stat sheet. What's your explanation?

What reason did you have for posting this to me besides manning your post and making sure everyone reads your pamphlet 100 times? Please, walk me through the thought process.

As for "Well, if you think 6 DC's in as many years and overhauling a system again is the way to go and that it's easier to do that than find players to match the one you got,"

We can't do anything for the last 6 years. Those are dead and buried. Not sure how changing from a 4-3 to 3-4 in 2011 matters today. Makes a good sounbyte though. Perfect little dash of sensationalism and no substance.

Quick question though. Why weren't you pounding the continuity drum this hard for JS? I mean, was 5 different DC's bad? Or, at that point, did you just say, "to hell with it, let's go for #6?"

And yes, it's easier to find one quality DC than multiple quality new players with our middling draft picks and salary cap status. Not to mention the opportunity cost associated with it. Chan was terrible at it, but Marrone did pretty well.

Edited by FireChan

If Rex didn't have so much guaranteed money it would have made sense to fire him weeks ago. Let's face it:

His defense sucks despite the talent.

His team is completely confused.

Players are complaining.

He is a distraction.

He has no clock management skills.

Does this excuse Mario? No, but I agree with you. The situations are close in terms of importance. What we have are two millionaires who either can't or won't do their jobs.

You did a fine job of "making your point" as far as I am concerned.

I'll try and make a simple point. These guys are the world's best football players. They get paid really good money to play football. Do you think the next man up behind Mario isn't foaming at the mouth to jump ahead of him to get on the field? Mario was an all pro. He was very good at his position. Probably the best contain end in football. What he is doing being a whiny crybaby because the scheme doesn't suit his Primary Donna ass doesn't give him the right to quit on his teammates who rely in him to do his job. Not to mention he gets 20 mil a year to do it. This is what Herm Edwards was freaking out about a few weeks back. THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU!!!! Mario. This guy just flat out quit on his team. He is a quitter. He should be released immediately. I loved the guy before this. But this is inexcusable behavior from a "leader" on this Defense. If you don't think this has a trickle down effect on the rest of the team your not watching the games. He is Pathetic.

Quick question though. Why weren't you pounding the continuity drum this hard for JS? I mean, was 5 different DC's bad? Or, at that point, did you just say, "to hell with it, let's go for #6?"

And yes, it's easier to find one quality DC than multiple quality new players with our middling draft picks and salary cap status. Not to mention to opportunity cost associated with it. Chan was terrible at it, but Marrone did pretty well.

Because last year was a completely different situation. There were no firings. The HC quit and the DC (who had a LOUSY track record as a HC) was offered to stay and he did not. It was a disruption to continuity that was 100% involuntary and nothing at all like what the fans on this message board who think (wrongly) that they're in the majority of fans want.

For your last sentence, you're summarily wrong. It's not even worth arguing anymore.

Because last year was a completely different situation. There were no firings. The HC quit and the DC (who had a LOUSY track record as a HC) was offered to stay and he did not. It was a disruption to continuity that was 100% involuntary and nothing at all like what the fans on this message board who think (wrongly) that they're in the majority of fans want.

For your last sentence, you're summarily wrong. It's not even worth arguing anymore.

So in the same breath as calling me summarily wrong, you think the JS offer was something real? Okay. :lol:

Explain to me how "overhauling a system" worked out okay in '13 and '14? I mean, Pettine to Schwartz was a total overhaul. 5 DC's in 5 years Big Cat! It's a miracle they even knew where to line up, right?

Also explain how it is easier to find 2-3 new LB's, 1-2 S, 1 DE, 1 DT, 1 CB as well as a new RT, a new WR, and a QB prospect, than it is to hire a new DC and only have to do a quarter of that?

Also, JS has a lousy track record as an HC, but RR's is sparkling? Do you come up with these "opinions" before or after decisions are made by the FO?

Edited by FireChan

So in the same breath as calling me summarily wrong, you think the JS offer was something real? Okay. :lol:

Explain to me how "overhauling a system" worked out okay in '13 and '14? I mean, Pettine to Schwartz was a total overhaul. 5 DC's in 5 years Big Cat! It's a miracle they even knew where to line up, right?

Also explain how it is easier to find 2-3 new LB's, 1-2 S, 1 DE, 1 DT, 1 CB as well as a new RT, a new WR, and a QB prospect, than it is to hire a new DC and only have to do a quarter of that?

What the hell are you talking about in line one?

It worked once in five years? So that makes your point? Schwartz was in a perfect situation to run his scheme which relies on the big uglies up front. When he has those, he does alright.

Where were you last offseason when Whaley was charged with addressing the offense and found a starting QB, all three RB's, a WR2, one of the league's most dynamic TE's, a FB and guards on either side of center? You don't have faith in him finding/plugging personnel? Sounds like you're ignoring history...again.

What the hell are you talking about in line one?

It worked once in five years? So that makes your point? Schwartz was in a perfect situation to run his scheme which relies on the big uglies up front. When he has those, he does alright.

Where were you last offseason when Whaley was charged with addressing the offense and found a starting QB, all three RB's, a WR2, one of the league's most dynamic TE's, a FB and guards on either side of center? You don't have faith in him finding/plugging personnel? Sounds like you're ignoring history...again.

You said that JS was offered to stay and declined. While that is the story, that's ignoring the fact that he'd be doing nothing, and Rex was going to install his system. Everyone knew this. The hiring of RR ensured another schematic change, even before Schwartz quit, and basically forced him out.

Fine, let's ignore that for the time being. Quick question, do we have the horses up front? Seems logical that if you've already paid a bunch of cash to the horses upfront, you should retain the DC whose scheme just utilized that to great effect. Do you disagree?

I was here. However, the salary cap is looming, and I doubt we have any real chance to fill our offensive needs and our self-inflicted defensive needs. I suppose it's possible, but I'm not betting on it. Minor quibble as well, Miller has been bad and the rest of the moves have had varying success.

Edited by FireChan

You said that JS was offered to stay and declined. While that is the story, that's ignoring the fact that he'd be doing nothing, and Rex was going to install his system. Everyone knew this. The hiring of RR ensured another schematic change, even before Schwartz quit, and basically forced him out.

Fine, let's ignore that for the time being. Quick question, do we have the horses up front? Seems logical that if you've already paid a bunch of cash to the horses upfront, you should retain the DC whose scheme just utilized that to great effect. Do you disagree?

I was here. However, the salary cap is looming, and I doubt we have any real chance to fill our offensive needs and our self-inflicted defensive needs. I suppose it's possible, but I'm not betting on it. Minor quibble as well, Miller has been bad.

So then we can't rely on anything we've been told? Well, that's an argument against 99% of discussion.

I agree that they're used differently, and that logic would dictate that since they were used optimally last year, that it's in some way a misuse this year. But the entirety of Schwartz's scheme was flawed and the 2014 performance benefitted tremendously from health. Kyle Williams missing a substantial chunk of the season and Mario Williams removing himself from the formula makes a for a disappointing incomplete from the unit, IMO.

You're entitled to your skepticism. But don't treat it as a a certainty, as you have been. I'm not certain it will happen. But enough has happened to convince me it could.

So then we can't rely on anything we've been told? Well, that's an argument against 99% of discussion.

I agree that they're used differently, and that logic would dictate that since they were used optimally last year, that it's in some way a misuse this year. But the entirety of Schwartz's scheme was flawed and the 2014 performance benefitted tremendously from health. Kyle Williams missing a substantial chunk of the season and Mario Williams removing himself from the formula makes a for a disappointing incomplete from the unit, IMO.

You're entitled to your skepticism. But don't treat it as a a certainty, as you have been. I'm not certain it will happen. But enough has happened to convince me it could.

Big Cat, the first point is not a stretch. Don't dig in on that. RR has never had a DC who doesn't run his defense. Ever.

Worse than 2014 due to injuries? Sure. As bad as 2015? I don't think so. And the added bonus would be that Mario wouldn't quit.

I just think it's logical to assume it's easier to fill 5 holes than 10 and, and those 5 replacements are more likely to be better than their 10 scenario counterparts and I treat that as a certainty. And that filling holes constantly leaves you in bad shape to make a roster contender quality. Here's an example. We have no #1 WR. We need one. We draft Sammy by trading up. 2 years later, we need another big WR weapon. BMarsh is on the block. We have no 4th due to the prior trade-up. We get outbid by the Jets, and he proves to be a real difference maker. When you're constantly spending assets on filling holes, you miss out on the moves that get you over the hump, IMO.

Big Cat, the first point is not a stretch. Don't dig in on that. RR has never had a DC who doesn't run his defense. Ever.

Worse than 2014 due to injuries? Sure. As bad as 2015? I don't think so. And the added bonus would be that Mario wouldn't quit.

I just think it's logical to assume it's easier to fill 5 holes than 10 and, and those 5 replacements are more likely to be better than their 10 scenario counterparts and I treat that as a certainty. And that filling holes constantly leaves you in bad shape to make a roster contender quality. Here's an example. We have no #1 WR. We need one. We draft Sammy by trading up. 2 years later, we need another big WR weapon. BMarsh is on the block. We have no 4th due to the prior trade-up. We get outbid by the Jets, and he proves to be a real difference maker. When you're constantly spending assets on filling holes, you miss out on the moves that get you over the hump, IMO.

Whaley said today that defense will be the focus and that last year offense was. He's also said that they won't make a splash in FA, but this morning he sounded confident in his ability to get Rex the guys he needs.

I think that LB and S are our two biggest needs and that NT may be included in that, if it's what RR wants. I think RT comes in a distant fourth, followed by WR2, followed by QB. But I think those defenses pieces (as many as 5) will be the priority.

Truth be told, Mario "deactivated" himself a few games ago.

seems so.

Did truly anyone notice when?

Some mention the London game. Be interesting to me if he ever speaks about it, post Bills.

just sucks really.

Sorry if already posted but omg Mario didnt even make it on the stat sheet for the Cowboys game!!

Trade him to a last place team for a 7th round pick and be rid of his salary

CBF

as long as it's not in the AFC East !!

But the entirety of Schwartz's scheme was flawed and the 2014 performance benefitted tremendously from health.

Sorry? His scheme was flawed because they players were healthy? Eh? What on earth are you on about? Could Schwartz's scheme have looked less good had he been without key players for long spells - sure like almost any other scheme... but you can't tell me that is definitely the case. And Aaron Williams apart Rex had a healthy defense through most of the first 5 or 6 weeks.... how'd that work out? From game 2 onwards the highes we have ever been in total D is 16th.