Have you experienced a championship as a fan of another team

YoloinOhio

Have you experienced a championship as a fan?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Have you experienced a championship as a fan of another team?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes, which sport?

• NBA
    • NHL
    • MLB
    • College Football
    • College Basketball
    • Soccer
    • Other
    • N/A, I am still waiting

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohio State grad school alum. Saw Eddie win the Heisman. Moved to Portland just as the won their championship over Miami. Though not a die hard OSU fan, I really can't stand the Ducks so last year was fun.

Always liked Seahawks as my second team. They were robbed by the officials in their first SuperBowl. Took my sons to NFC Championship game and saw the Sherman tipped pass. Cheered for them over the Broncos and wept twice as hard after the interception.

So close teams...

Cavs in the 90's, Mariners in early 2000's

Could care less about the NBA

And lastly though I don't watch the Portland Timbers they won the MLS Championship.

91% yes? !@#$ all of you then. Yankees??? Are you from the Bronx?

If you grew up in WNY, which apparently only 9% of this board did, until the Bills or Sabres win it all, nothing else matters.

When I saw this thread, I thought it would be boring. Now that I read it, I realize what a bunch of jokers are on this board.

Like you I lived in sfla for some time before coming back to WNY. I've never deterred from my love of all things Bills and Sabres! I did get into going to Marlin and Heat games! I remember rooting for the Marlins in one of their first World Series games against the Indians when I was at my cousins wedding in Cleveland. They even had tvs set up in the reception. Thankfully the Indians won that game and didn't dampen the festivities! The Marlins did go on to win that series and I was rooting for them the whole time. The second World Series they won though was far sweeter!

91% yes? !@#$ all of you then. Yankees??? Are you from the Bronx?

If you grew up in WNY, which apparently only 9% of this board did, until the Bills or Sabres win it all, nothing else matters.

When I saw this thread, I thought it would be boring. Now that I read it, I realize what a bunch of jokers are on this board.

The question was not what Championship would mean the most, only have you rooted for a team that won it all.

Are you saying the only two sports you can be a fan of are hockey and pro football? That's just dumb! I am also an Oriole and Bullets fan... Does that make me less a fan of the Bills and Sabres?

I am big Richmond fan, and they won National Championship in 08. It was great. Nothing like it would be if Bills or Sabres win it all, and not even at highest level of college football, but it was a great ride and an awesome season.

BTW, are you going to game tomorrow?

You missed AFL as an option for some of us old farts that have been rooting for the Bills since their entrance to AFL.

But I have seen NC State win in 1983 when I was in grad school, and Duke win multiple times since 1985

Also listened to Amercs win Calder cup in 1986 after I moved back to NC from Rochester. However I don't believe any of these would top Bills finally winning the SB, Sabres winning the Stanley Cup and Cubs winning the World Series

Edited by bills_fan_in_raleigh

Oh, how could I forget the 2 MAC championships UB has won? Men's basketball last year, but the more amazing one was the 2008 football title. They had to win 3 straight to get a shot at ranked Ball State, who they upset. That was the team with James Starks and Naaman Roosevelt.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Yolo- I'm sure you know by now, but I've lived in Tampa since i was 23, and grew up in Buffalo. Although i bleed red, white, and royal blue, I still root for the teams down here. The 2002 Bucs, The Lightning the next year, and in FL you have to pick a college team (FSU, UF, or Miami). those championships for the Gators were fantastic.

I now have to consider rooting for FSU as my oldest son plans to play lacrosse for them.

Nothing will complete my lifelong fandom though until our beloved Bills win it all. I promised my boys if the Bills make it, no matter the cost, we're going to that game.

I have experienced Arsenal winning three Premier League titles, 7 FA Cups, 1 League Cup and 1 European Cup Winners Cup and witnessed them reaching their first European Champions League Final.

The third of the Premier League Championships was now 11 years ago and was achieved without losing a game throughout a 38 game season which has never been done before or since. That was the greatest team the club has ever had or will ever have in my lifetime and whilst I obviously want us to win another - and we have a chance this year - but if we don't I will always have that. After 2005 we went 8 years without any kind of title before winning the FA Cup in 2014 and that was one of the greatest moments in my life. The emotions around me at Wembley Stadium that day were amazing... there was screaming, there were tears... it was something else really.

I also won 2 soccer Championships myself at semi-professional level - one as a player and one as a coach which were both pretty special.

I honestly think the Bills winning a Superbowl might top the lot.... because what that FA Cup in 2014 showed me was that the good times do feel even better after a prolonged period of hurt. It has been hurt all the way since I started watching the Bills.... so the good times are going to feel real good.

You missed AFL as an option for some of us old farts that have been rooting for the Bills since their entrance to AFL.

But I have seen NC State win in 1983 when I was in grad school, and Duke win multiple times since 1985

Also listened to Amercs win Calder cup in 1986 after I moved back to NC from Rochester. However I don't believe any of these would top Bills finally winning the SB, Sabres winning the Stanley Cup and Cubs winning the World Series

Were you on campus when State won in '83? If so you probably remember how crazy that was....and great point about the AFL Bills....i was only five though so can't say i recall it.

I moved to Chicago in 1989 and immediately became a big fan of the Bulls. It was pretty awesome when they won the first one.

That said, it wouldn't even compare to a Bills or Sabres win.

I'm not really a fan of MLS, but it was pretty cool when Real Salt Lake won it all a few years ago.

Can I count myself? I won the state championship in racquetball in my division some 12 years ago...that was pretty freaking great...

I went to grad school at the University of Kansas and lived in KC for five years 1977-82 and became a Royals fan. So I've had the pleasure of seeing KU win the NCAA basketball title in 1988 and 2008, and the Royals win the World Series in 1985 and this year.

I also suffered with the Jayhawks losing the NCAA title game three times, including once to Syracuse. And seeing the Royals have one of the worst records in baseball from 1985 to 2013, missing the playoffs for 28 years. I also saw the Royal lose to the Phillies in the 1980 World Series, got to see them lose the crucial game 5 in person at Royals Stadium.

Were you on campus when State won in '83? If so you probably remember how crazy that was....and great point about the AFL Bills....i was only five though so can't say i recall it.

1982-83 was my first year teaching at NC State, and I saw all that craziness, that 6-game winning streak that took them to the title against Houston. I was at the bonfire in the Brickyard the night that Lorenzo Charles's dunk off Derrick Wittenberg's missed jumper won the game at the buzzer.

Wittenberg was a student in my American Lit class. He earned a B.

Edited by Dr. K

Duke B Ball

LA Dodgers (been a while)

Carolina Hurricanes

Have enjoyed and celebrated their celebrated their championships. Attended a game 7 Stanley Cup Final. Had the Stanley Cup in my hands.

But none of it would compare to the sweetness of the Bills winning a Super Bowl.

I went to grad school at the University of Kansas and lived in KC for five years 1977-82 and became a Royals fan. So I've had the pleasure of seeing KU win the NCAA basketball title in 1988 and 2008, and the Royals win the World Series in 1985 and this year.

I also suffered with the Jayhawks losing the NCAA title game three times, including once to Syracuse. And seeing the Royals have one of the worst records in baseball from 1985 to 2013, missing the playoffs for 28 years. I also saw the Royal lose to the Phillies in the 1980 World Series, got to see them lose the crucial game 5 in person at Royals Stadium.

1982-83 was my first year teaching at NC State, and I saw all that craziness, that 6-game winning streak that took them to the title against Houston. I was at the bonfire in the Brickyard the night that Lorenzo Charles's dunk off Derrick Wittenberg's missed jumper won the game at the buzzer.

Wittenberg was a student in my American Lit class. He earned a B.

That was awesome to say the least, particularly because no one expected State to win....i'm pretty sure that when Valvano took time out with 44 seconds left I prayed something to the effect of "God, let State win this and I'll never ask for another championship of any other team I root for....thus the Bills SB frustrations and the disputed goal in the Stanley Cup for the Sabers....sorry everyone...

Bills fans only. Have you been to the mountaintop as a fan of another team? Or still waiting?

The Buffalo Bandits and Buffalo Wings roller hockey.

The Wiz and Nats haven't done it.

I don't think it would be the same though.