Mario Williams

chef4131

Probably not, but I sure as !@#$ can complain about it all I !@#$ing want.

So now, with all the holes on the O-line, the crap linebackers, iffy Safeties, and sub-par receivers, we should select a nose tackle. I don't like the way things are going.

Yeah. NT should be waaaay down the list of priorities in the offseason. Quality WR who is a deep threat and OL head the list. QB is also on it. Replacements for anyone we part ways with on the DL would be high, too. What happens with Glenn and Incognito is huge here. Even with them the OL needs help, but without them that OL is a trainwreck. Realistically we won't be able to fill all of the holes, but if we need to get quality players to fill some of them. Edited by BarleyNY

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You net about 12.9 million towards the cap in a year where the team is in cap hell.

It would be a very wise decision. Cutting him does a lot even when you take in account a hit of 7 million in dead money for that year.

Calling it cap hell is a bit dramatic

@JonTWCNews: Rex Ryan denies Mario Williams has "checked out." Was dealing with foot injury. Acknowledges numbers aren't there, but still competes #Bills

@SalSports: Rex on Mario: "He had a foot injury that slowed him down. But he doesn't use it as an excuse....he hasn't checked out."

@JonTWCNews: Rex Ryan denies Mario Williams has "checked out." Was dealing with foot injury. Acknowledges numbers aren't there, but still competes #Bills

@SalSports: Rex on Mario: "He had a foot injury that slowed him down. But he doesn't use it as an excuse....he hasn't checked out."

Watching him play it sure looks like he's checked out. Some plays he just stands there, and does little more. it's embarassing and he's playing like he did at the end of his first year in Buffalo. The Houston Rumor That he took plays off seems to have transferred to Buffalo.

Way too much money for his production. A true dedicated star no matter how goofy rex's scheme appears to be should go all in. mario is the opposite. WTF is he doing out there hurt anyways, and was it on the injury report? Too bad J. Wynn got knocked out for the season, would like to see that guy play more.

ok i give up

why cut mario when that does nothing? he's of starting quality, for one and he's bought and paid for. his cap hit doesn't impact this team much for next year and he may still even renegotiate, too.

cutting mario makes as much sense as cutting garrison sanborne. if we cut mario who do we replace him with?

further, who on the lb market would be worth

Von Miller won't hit FA
Roladno McClain maybe the only one worth it.
Sean Weatherspoon could get top dollar and faulter like many premier LB's on their next team - Kruger, Poz, etc.
Bruce Irvin could be worth it, but will get a lot of money!
Aldon Smith, Vincent Rey won't be worth the high dollar.
Hali is too old.
Greenway, too old

Why cut him? Are you kidding. Any player off the UB BULLS would be a better value.

You don't seem to understand how far he has fallen. Another poster said that all he does is stand up & play patty cake with the guy in front of him. Please watch him. He regrettably hit the proverbial wall & is now in the bottom 10th of DE's using any measure or statistical web site you choose.

I'd like to hear Whaley's opinion on #94.

Imo

@YardsPerPass

I know Mario doesn't want to... But I think he would be an amazing 3-4 DE... so strong at the point of attack when he wants to be

This isn't from 3-4 end... but look at Mario just bully guys

FluidVeneratedFoal.gif

Mario has a huge cap number, but the dude is still an imposing figure at DE, really a freak w/ regards to his strength

Mario never goes anywhere he doesn't want to go

TightAbsoluteChimpanzee.gif

@YardsPerPass

I know Mario doesn't want to... But I think he would be an amazing 3-4 DE... so strong at the point of attack when he wants to be

This isn't from 3-4 end... but look at Mario just bully guys

FluidVeneratedFoal.gif

Mario has a huge cap number, but the dude is still an imposing figure at DE, really a freak w/ regards to his strength

Mario never goes anywhere he doesn't want to go

TightAbsoluteChimpanzee.gif

I never understood why he wouldn't play end. In the nickel zone blitz schemes, you HAVE to occaisionally cover as an OLB. We usually only have 2 down linemen in those formations with 4 backers. I'd rather have a mario/dareus combo out there with another speedier player than what we have - but we gotta make do.

And for those who say it doesnt work - pittsburgh, baltimore, even GB have shown that it certainly can work.

All Mario wants to do is go kill quarterbacks. That's been the only thing he wants to do throughout his college days and days with the Texans.

In a scheme where he gets to do that, he's All-Pro.

It's when he's asked to do anything else, you get what you see today.

Same goes for Jerry Hughes. He's a bust doing anything else but quarterback blitzing.

All Mario wants to do is go kill quarterbacks. That's been the only thing he wants to do throughout his college days and days with the Texans.

In a scheme where he gets to do that, he's All-Pro.

It's when he's asked to do anything else, you get what you see today.

Same goes for Jerry Hughes. He's a bust doing anything else but quarterback blitzing.

@YardsPerPass

This is why Hughes is such a fit for Rex, looks so natural dropping into the flat and getting underneath the out

FixedSadKrill.gif

mario has been taking plays off all the way back to the NE game in Buffalo when Gronk blocked him one on one for a NE TD.

A player making his kind of money and with his talent should not be taking plays off.

BTW has Mario ever been a team captain? Here or in Houston?

He was a captain just last year!

The defense, same personel since last season, has been questionable all year.

How do you go from first to worst in the sack department?

One man is responsible for that, defensive guru and our head coach Rex Ryan. Another, Thurman has been average at playcalling and below average at getting the most out of their skill set.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda... Imagine if this team was tops in sacks, top 10 in Defense, we could easily be 9-4.

In the playoffs and Rex would be the savior we were looking for.

But, no.

#1 in penalties, though

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Here is what they should do with him. Offer him a contract renegotiation. If he says no, then put him on the trading block and get what you can. If you cant trade him cut him. If he wants to be here he will talk money to stay. Simple as that. If he doesn't want to be here he will balk the system.

we have a boat load of 'expert' fans who don't see the game accurately and spew forth some insane premises.

If Mario 'took plays off' he wouldn't play,especially as often as it is being assumed by many here in this thread.

Guys that take plays off like that in the real NFL (not Joe Fan's version of it) don't play for long. They get benched and they get cut.

Mario is playing hurt now.

3-4 Ends (besides Bruce Smith) don't gather stats typically either, especially playing mostly from the strong side of the formation like Mario. That's just another small point that folks that understand the strategy of the game already know. Their assignments aren't the same (even from 3-4 scheme to 3-4 scheme sometimes).

Almost All I read on here these days is completely incorrect statements about players such as he, or the talent limit of a guy like Sammy, or the assumed limitations of our 1st year starting QB, or how "terrible" our center is.

Are ALL these guys all-pros or have all-pro potential? Of course not.But they are also not nearly the liabilities they are made to be.

People that debate the visual reality of what these players can do get all caught up in demanding "proof" of this and statistical analysis of that.

When you've been around (and paid attention) to the game of football long enough, maybe played it a bit, maybe enjoyed not always watching where the ball is at live games once in a while, coached it in some capacities, etc. you know what you're watching out there. It's not hard to see a good player out there and it's also nearly impossible for that player to hide such a disgraceful thing as taking plays off. The coaches see all. They review every player on every play over and over and over again.

Mario is an excellent player who is a bit of a duck out of water playing hurt now in a new scheme for him that he may not be the best fit for.

Does his contract need to be tweaked due to age, other player retention needs and scheme fit? YES or he may need to find another team.

Is he a lazy or poor team player? No

Rex isn't ALWAYS spinning it up there guys... Notice his mention of the layman's eye in many of his commentaries.

Mario Williams has been a great addition. 42 sacks in 60 games so far. 95 career sacks and only 30 years old. Before we cut anyone lets consider availability and age.

It's easy to scapegoat one of the highest paid defenders on the wrong side of their prime, but Mario has lots of tread left on his tires.

We are better off if both Kyle & Mario Williams are Buffalo Bills in 2016 & beyond.

Consider this...there's a long list of guys who produced well over 50 sacks past the age of 30. Jason Taylor comes to mind. The guy was 6'6'' 255, 40 lbs lighter than Mario, but still managed 59 sacks (age 31 to age 37) his final 7 seasons.

I see Mario following in the Julius Peppers mold another guy of similar build. Both are born in January and are 5 years apart. Since the season Peppers turned 31, 2011, Peppers has posted 43.5 sacks the past 5 seasons.

In case people are wondering any guy we might draft would be lucky to get 40 to 50 career sacks.

The talk on here of, many of whom are advocating "cutting" Mario now while still under contract is short-sighted. When looking at the facts and hard data, the guy will likely produce another 25 sacks by the most conservative of estimates over the remainder of his career. On the high end Mario will likely get 50 sacks.

Now is there a need to restructure Mario? Of course. Now is the time to lock him up through age 35, or the 2019 season. Amortizing the cost of retaining versus the uncertainty of replacement one could easily ascertain Williams' value at $8,000,000 to $10,000,000 average per season over the next 5 seasons. This is Jerry Hughes level money. With a cap hit of $7,000,000 by cutting Mario in 2016, it makes sense to either trade him, which likely won't happen due to the remaining contract, or to simply renegotiate a long term contract that represents the value he will produce over the next 5 seasons. This is similar to what we did with LeSean McCoy's contract.

There is too much to be gained by simply trading away or cutting both Williams'. They are pure 4-3 players and offer little "effective" versatility in a 3-4. Bradham unfortunately is in the same boat. Since Ryan is here to stay for the next few years minimum, there is zero logic to keeping these guys when they desperately need different player types to tighten up the front seven while extending the younger, on the rise players currently on the roster.

The defense, same personel since last season, has been questionable all year.

How do you go from first to worst in the sack department?

One man is responsible for that, defensive guru and our head coach Rex Ryan. Another, Thurman has been average at playcalling and below average at getting the most out of their skill set.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda... Imagine if this team was tops in sacks, top 10 in Defense, we could easily be 9-4.

In the playoffs and Rex would be the savior we were looking for.

But, no.

#1 in penalties, though

it isn't the same personnel -

Gone for all or most of year

Kyle Williams

Aaron Williams

Spikes

Searcy

Wynn

McKelvin

Mario Williams has been a great addition. 42 sacks in 60 games so far. 95 career sacks and only 30 years old. Before we cut anyone lets consider availability and age.

It's easy to scapegoat one of the highest paid defenders on the wrong side of their prime, but Mario has lots of tread left on his tires.

We are better off if both Kyle & Mario Williams are Buffalo Bills in 2016 & beyond.

Consider this...there's a long list of guys who produced well over 50 sacks past the age of 30. Jason Taylor comes to mind. The guy was 6'6'' 255, 40 lbs lighter than Mario, but still managed 59 sacks (age 31 to age 37) his final 7 seasons.

I see Mario following in the Julius Peppers mold another guy of similar build. Both are born in January and are 5 years apart. Since the season Peppers turned 31, 2011, Peppers has posted 43.5 sacks the past 5 seasons.

In case people are wondering any guy we might draft would be lucky to get 40 to 50 career sacks.

The talk on here of, many of whom are advocating "cutting" Mario now while still under contract is short-sighted. When looking at the facts and hard data, the guy will likely produce another 25 sacks by the most conservative of estimates over the remainder of his career. On the high end Mario will likely get 50 sacks.

Now is there a need to restructure Mario? Of course. Now is the time to lock him up through age 35, or the 2019 season. Amortizing the cost of retaining versus the uncertainty of replacement one could easily ascertain Williams' value at $8,000,000 to $10,000,000 average per season over the next 5 seasons. This is Jerry Hughes level money. With a cap hit of $7,000,000 by cutting Mario in 2016, it makes sense to either trade him, which likely won't happen due to the remaining contract, or to simply renegotiate a long term contract that represents the value he will produce over the next 5 seasons. This is similar to what we did with LeSean McCoy's contract.

I don't think there's any way Williams agrees to renegotiate a 5 year deal at $8M-$10M per year. His current deal is set to pay him $14.5M ($19.9M cap hit) in 2016 and $14.9M ($16.5M cap hit) in 2017. That's a hell of a pay cut for him. I'm sure he'd rather test the market. There's a big gap in his value in the Bills' scheme versus in a scheme where he's pass rushing more. That disparity might be what leads to him and the Bills parting ways.

Contract details:

http://overthecap.com/player/mario-williams/246

Edited by BarleyNY

Mario is in all likelihood gone - he has been terrible this year, and he's not likely to improve next season. That's unacceptable for a guy with his salary (as is his "borderline disloyalty," as Peter King put it with regard to his constant public carping about the scheme). The thing is, it was still a pretty good deal for the Bills: they landed him mid-career, and paid him ~$65 million for 4 years. They got two elite seasons from him plus one decently solid one (2012) from him. That's good production overall, and if it's a slight overpay, who cares - the Bills had to spend it on somebody given their low overall salary base. I also don't believe they ever expected this contract to play out to the end.

I think it would be the height of stupidity to keep him given his miserable performance this season and his poor fit for the defense, but I won't be surprised if he lands somewhere like the Giants, who can use him as a pass rusher in a 4-3 scheme -- sorta like the Niners' acquisition of Rickey Jackson in 1994 and Chris Doleman in 1996 as well as the Redskins' acquisition of Bruce in 2000. None of those guys were at the top of their game at that point, but they were all still solid assuming they came at the right price. Mario simply isn't the right price for the Bills. A decent second round pick with some quicks and some arm length can easily replace his production this year, and in spades.

Much higher learning curve in Rex's D than Schwartz's " go get em boys " D. Unfortunately in year one that created a set back.

The thing is, I've been watching Mario the last 3-4 games (the ones he has played in, that is), and truth be told, he's barely dropping into coverage at all now - instead, he's basically getting after the QB and failing despite constant one-on-one blocking. He did get a vulture sack against Bradford, but that's only because Bradford failed to realize that the 2 minute warning was going to stop the clock anyway and decided to eat the ball instead of throwing it away.It wasn't an impressive play.

Edited by dave mcbride

If they let him go, where ever he plays next year he will have a great year.

Count on it.

He won't have a great year because he has lost some of his game on the quicks front - that's obvious to any observer - but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in a 4-3 scheme and gets 10-11 sacks next season. He won't with the Bills, though, and there's no reason why they should be paying him for non-production. There are a lot of other guys who would be performing better than he is in this scheme. Hughes is 10 times better than him this season.

10-11 sacks isn't a great year?

I think hes playing through an injury and he's playing in a scheme that doesn't fit his strengths.....

I don't understand all the Mario criticism. Who on this defensive line is having a good year???? Go down the line, everyone's numbers are bad thanks to Rex.

Not necessarily if that's all he's doing. Lots of 10-sack seasons aren't great. Mario wasn't great in 2012 (the pressure wasn't consistent, although he was dealing with a hand injury) and Aaron Schoebel was never great regardless of the sack numbers.

As for not understanding the criticism, he SUCKS this year. According to Football Outsiders, he is the lowest rated defensive end in the entire NFL. He makes almost no plays. He has 13 tackles this season, for chrissake. As for the others, Hughes is having a very good season, and Dareus has played reasonably well too, making a number of plays on running downs. Kyle Williams was fine before the injury. The sack numbers are down across the board, but that's not the only way to judge play.

People don't stay good forever. That shouldn't be hard to understand.

Regardless, the Bills shouldn't be spending another $15-20 million on another one of his decline years. They got what they were going to get out of him already. If you want to go down with the ship with this guy, be my guest. I think the departing rats are wiser, however.

Edited by dave mcbride

Not necessarily if that's all he's doing. Lots of 10-sack seasons aren't great. Mario wasn't great in 2012 (the pressure wasn't consistent, although he was dealing with a hand injury) and Aaron Schoebel was never great regardless of the sack numbers.

As for not understanding the criticism, he SUCKS this year. According to Football Outsiders, he is the lowest rated defensive end in the entire NFL. He makes almost no plays. He has 13 tackles this season, for chrissake. As for the others, Hughes is having a very good season, and Dareus has played reasonably well too, making a number of plays on running downs. Kyle Williams was fine before the injury. The sack numbers are down across the board, but that's not the only way to judge play.

People don't stay good forever. That shouldn't be hard to understand.

Regardless, the Bills shouldn't be spending another $15-20 million on another one of his decline years. They got what they were going to get out of him already. If you want to go down with the ship with this guy, be my guest. I think the departing rats are wiser, however.

That saved value will go a long way to getting Wilkerson.

It feels like he isn't the same guy. His play this year is similar to his last one in Houston.

Not sure what the problem is but his stubbornness to learn a new system is becoming a trend.

How's it stubborn? Who are the superstar DE's Wrecks can claim ever? Wilkerson is on pace to double his average sack total under wrecks this year.

Mario left Houston because he didn't feel like a 3-4 defenses utilized his skillset. Well here we are now and the writing is on the wall. Mario has been a solid player for us this year but he is not playing at an elite level or producing at a level on par with what we're paying him. I think the bills and him head their separate ways, Mario is still a good player and I'm sure he'll be successful I whichever team he ends up on but be just doesn't fit what we're trying to do on defense.

I also have a feeling Kyle Williams will be on his way out as well.

rex has used him on guards and it's a match up problem and to Rex's thought helps our defense but he's gonna rack up numbers he's gonna rack up double teams. Mario seems unwilling to take this role verbally complaining...... he "just" wants to rush the passer although I do think he plays hard. That being said I can't bring him back at the salary and have to cut him loose.

it isn't the same personnel -
Gone for all or most of year
Kyle Williams
Aaron Williams
Spikes
Searcy
Wynn
McKelvin

this is a great point

Edited by CardinalScotts

Sal indicated on wgr that there was about a 90 percent chance he isn't back because although he is actually a really good fit for this scheme, he seems unwilling to adapt to it. He said it seems like Mario knows he won't be back because of that and isn't really putting in the effort on the field despite Rex taking the blame for it.

IMO whether it's his foot, he has lost a step, or he's not putting forth max effort, he is just not winning his 1:1 matchups and at 31 next year and that contract, it makes no sense to extend him or restructure when that money can be used elsewhere to better shore up the D in other areas in FA and they can take a young pass rusher (there are a lot) in the draft.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Sal indicated on wgr that there was about a 90 percent chance he isn't back because although he is actually a really good fit for this scheme, he seems unwilling to adapt to it. He said it seems like Mario knows he won't be back because of that and isn't really putting in the effort on the field despite Rex taking the blame for it.

IMO whether it's his foot, he has lost a step, or he's not putting forth max effort, he is just not winning his 1:1 matchups and at 31 next year and that contract, it makes no sense to extend him or restructure when that money can be used elsewhere to better shore up the D in other areas in FA and they can take a young pass rusher (there are a lot) in the draft.

Thanks - sounds about right. Rex always takes the blame, which is why players like him.