Strong words from Jimbo on Rex/the team.

FireChan

Tyler Dunne @TyDunne 10m10 minutes ago

Jim Kelly on Bills losing three straight at home: "I'm just not used to that. When you don't win at home, that's not good."

Tyler Dunne @TyDunne 11m11 minutes ago

Jim Kelly: "I'm speaking from the heart. I don't know what the heck's wrong. Injuries on offense don't help but on defense, I don't know."

Tyler Dunne @TyDunne 10m10 minutes ago

Kelly: "I was excited like everybody was to see what our defense can do. And so far, we haven't done very well. I hope that gets changed."

Tyler Dunne @TyDunne 9m9 minutes ago

Kelly: "We continue to commit stupid penalties and play dumb football."

Tyler Dunne @TyDunne 8m8 minutes ago

Kelly: "Tyrod, I like what I see. He's got a heck of an arm and the athletic ability. Again, it's injuries."

Tyler Dunne @TyDunne 8m8 minutes ago

Jim Kelly: "Dropping Mario Williams into coverage a lot? Didn't we pay him a lot of money to hit the quarterback?"

Tyler Dunne @TyDunne 6m6 minutes ago

Kelly: "If I'm the QB and I see (Mario) dropping into coverage -and Hughes? - that's a big plus. I'd definitely have a smile on my face."

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 8m8 minutes ago

Jim Kelly: "Dropping Mario Williams into coverage a lot? Didn't we pay him a lot of money to hit the quarterback?"

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 6m6 minutes ago

Kelly: "If I'm the QB and I see (Mario) dropping into coverage -and Hughes? - that's a big plus. I'd definitely have a smile on my face."

The Bills have dropped Kyle Williams into pass coverage too, and he got a good grade for doing it. Rex Ryan had Jerry Hughes covering Rob Gronkowski, and he did pretty good also. When these guys drop into pass coverage the Bills then sometimes only rush three Bills players.

You would think that after the Bills D getting burned by Tom Brady for 466 passing yards in week two(Which set a franchise worst record) they would have changed up the defense. Instead the coaches blame the players by stated they are to slow to adapt to this "complex" defense! What a bunch of crap!! Those are four pro bowlers on the Bills D line.

Last night a team with inferior defensive talent in the Eagles had their D linemen spaced in a wide style which allowed the players to get to Eli Manning quickly. Just like Jim Schartz's wide nine used to do. Manning looked confused most of the game going 24 of 38 for 189 1 TD, 2 INT's and one was a pick six.

Rex Ryan was given the keys to last years #4 defense in the NFL, and #1 in sacks, and drove it into a muddy ravine.

Sometimes they are so exotic I didn't even realize they were blitzing.

Hiding in plain site, you see. If we continue to 'blitz' like this, we'll lull the rest of the league into a sense of complacency, and next season, Rex will have the best D in the league! he's a wizard!

The Bills have dropped Kyle Williams into pass coverage too, and he got a good grade for doing it. Rex Ryan had Jerry Hughes covering Rob Gronkowski, and he did pretty good also. When these guys drop into pass coverage the Bills then sometimes only rush three Bills players.

You would think that after the Bills D getting burned by Tom Brady for 466 passing yards in week two(Which set a franchise worst record) they would have changed up the defense. Instead the coaches blame the players by stated they are to slow to adapt to this "complex" defense! What a bunch of crap!! Those are four pro bowlers on the Bills D line.

Last night a team with inferior defensive talent in the Eagles had their D linemen spaced in a wide style which allowed the players to get to Eli Manning quickly. Just like Jim Schartz's wide nine used to do. Manning looked confused most of the game going 24 of 38 for 189 1 TD, 2 INT's and one was a pick six.

Rex Ryan was given the keys to last years #4 defense in the NFL, and #1 in sacks, and drove it into a muddy ravine.

Watched that Eagles game. Didn't use a stopwatch or anything, but sure didn't seem like Eli was sticking by any kind of gameplan to get the ball out quickly. The Eagles were able to harass him. So if teams ( with good QBs) continue to do that vs Bills, what is the answer. Eli got ball out in under 2 seconds vs Bills. He didn't do that last night. Eagles tackled much better than Bills did though. Just not sure what the solution is. This team needs to get stops on 3 rd down.

Intuitively, it just makes no sense that a defense with that much talent on the DL and statistically 2 of the best corners in the game, is this bad. The only rationale explanation is the scheme they are playing. Fortunately, there is still time to turn it around, especially with the Jax and the Bye the next two weeks.

yes, that's the purpose of those blitzes. if you watch closely the QB doesn't see the blitz either, resulting in huge gains or TD's. it really is a thing of beauty.

Jimbo seems like a lot on this board.

IMO

My thoughts exactly. Wonder what his screen name is.. I share his take on the team to the word.

good I'm glad Jim is sticking up for the players. Rex needs to realize what he's doing on defense isn't working. he's never had a great DL, his scheme worked with great LB and DB play. but now you have the talent up front so you have to adapt. run a 4-3, let the DL get after the QB. those guys are at their best when they can just attack the QB and not worry about dropping into coverage. too much thinking involved, just go hit somebody!!!

Exotic blitz schemes is what you do when you need to generate a pass rush without having pass rushers. We have our cover guys rushing the passer and our pass rushers covering receivers. Makes you want to pull your hair out.

I've said this a million times - you design a scheme (offensive or defensive) based on your players' strengths. When you force players to play a system, it rarely works.

I agree wholeheartedly. The advantage of having stud pass rushers and defensive linemen is to get pressure without bringing extra rushers or getting too fancy too often. It is a huge advantage for a team to be able to consistiently get pressure with 4 rushers so 7 can be in coverage. Presumably those would be the 7 that are good at it.

Seems as if Rex wanted to put his own stamp on this defense to try and prove something; however, this has just turned into the example of why you shouldn't try and fix something that wasn't broken. Even with injuries and some questionable play calling on offense, it has at least improved. The defense is just downright frustrating to watch knowing how good they really were. Really makes me wonder what this offense would look like with Schwartz's D and the current O

This whole dropping guys into coverage thing is overblown. Happened a few times.

When a guy like lebeau does it, it is hailed as genius.

All that matters is results. If dropping in coverage was resulting in the same dominating defense we saw at the end of last year, nobody would care.

This whole dropping guys into coverage thing is overblown. Happened a few times.

Except that Lebeau fields leading defenses. Rex is an alltime leader in hype before the season, it's a shame that isn't a useful stat when trying to get into the playoffs

That was because Lebeau was doing it 2 decades ago. He was incredibly innovative, but - much like Tom Landry's shotgun formation - eventually everyone else copies you to a degree and gets used to seeing and handling it on the other side of the ball.

The Giants receivers both have injured hamstrings. You don't need help over the top and can bump and stack the box against the run since they both looked slow.

The quick passing offense doesn't work, and the receivers couldn't get separation. Couple of coverage sacks, and in general that newhouse had a terrible game.

I don't remember Mario giving newhouse that many problems... PERHAPS mario isnt as good as he and everyone else thinks he is.

Maybe it worked when Lebeau did it. This is the same front four that terrorized the league last year. Something is clearly wrong in Buffalo and it needs to the addressed while this season can still be saved.

Worst thing is Rex had the Deer in the headlights looking for answers face after the game presser. We did not pay 25m for that.

to be fair, we didnt pay rex for his faces in post game pressers..... hopefully he can get the defense sorted out though.

The Giants receivers both have injured hamstrings. You don't need help over the top and can bump and stack the box against the run since they both looked slow.

The quick passing offense doesn't work, and the receivers couldn't get separation. Couple of coverage sacks, and in general that newhouse had a terrible game.

I don't remember Mario giving newhouse that many problems... PERHAPS mario isnt as good as he and everyone else thinks he is.

This!!! He's damn near invisible most games.

Seems as if Rex wanted to put his own stamp on this defense to try and prove something;

I said a similar thing about the offense after the Giants game. It looked like they went into that game with the idea that they were going to run against the best run defense in the league no matter what. Just to prove they could. Most of the way through the 3rd quarter they finally started passing down field (against the last place pass defense) and the offense finally started moving. Looked like nothing but stubbornness.

It's hard to say without knowing the scheme, which nobody here does. Just because they aren't dropped into coverage, doesn't mean their job is to all out blitz. They could be told to plug holes, or hold the edge, or take up blockers. All I know is that last year they were monsters, and with a DL of Hughes, Williams, Dareus, and Mario, there's just no excuse. Even if age all of sudden hit Mario and he's in the midst of a huge drop off in talent, he should still be able to get to the QB regularly playing next to those other guys.

As for the quick passing plays, yes it can negate the overwhelming pass rush we should be generating, but there's a reason teams don't just always play that way. Any interruption in the routes screws with the timing of the play. Everyone has to be on the same page ALL the time. It opens up the possibility of mistakes and turnovers. Yes, a QB like Brady is going to be much better at and will always be a problem, but he's a problem no matter what defense he faces. Might as well try to hit him a few times a game and make him feel it! Not going all out after a historically error prone QB like Dalton is inexcusable!

The good thing about everyone (players, ex-players) calling out this crappy scheme is that it hits Rex in the one place he needs to be hit, his ego. He's the "player's coach", the guy who seemed to love the attention he was getting from Thurman and Kelly, and now these guys are questioning his ability. I can only hold out hope that we'll start to see something different, specifically from the defense. If we don't see a better scheme after the bye, it might be hopeless.

Edited by Acantha

Not sure how many more people need to tell Rex that he needs to change things (back). If he doesn't, then it's all on him.

Or Pegula, the one guy who has the power to tell Rex to change things back.

Maybe they will use the bye to run refresher training on a D scheme change back to the old system.

Makes sense, no?

Or Pegula, the one guy who has the power to tell Rex to change things back.

Maybe they will use the bye to run refresher training on a D scheme change back to the old system.

Makes sense, no?

That's what I'm hoping.

That was because Lebeau was doing it 2 decades ago. He was incredibly innovative, but - much like Tom Landry's shotgun formation - eventually everyone else copies you to a degree and gets used to seeing and handling it on the other side of the ball.

And yet last week, some writer was saying that the way to beat the Pats is to zone blitz them all the time-- i.e., dropping some of your d-linemen into coverage.

Jim Kelly was the foundation upon which one of the greatest rosters of all time was assembled.

He knows what it is supposed to look like when things are going well.

He also knows when things don't look right, like now.

That's basically what he's saying.