Calling out Anthony Dixon

DC Grid

Let me preface this by saying I WANT to like Dixon, he seems like a great locker room guy / teammate, he plays well on special teams, but he just can't seem to do anything on offense. He isn't given the ball a ton but every time he is it's the same result - he is immediately put down. It's getting to the point where it's not even a surprise. I remember in the Miami game where they gave him short yardage and everyone in the room watching said: here comes a punt. He's carried 8 times this year and has a 0 (ZERO) yard average. His one shinning moment was slamming into the pile in Indy and having the OL basically work him into the end zone...barely. With Shady out this week it's worrisome that the next guy up after Karlos is unlikely to gain a single yard. Is Dixon's special teams ability really enough to keep him on the roster or should the Bills be looking to make a change soon?

The 3rd and 9 play that resulted in the missed FG was the worst. That play was brilliantly blocked and setup but Dixon tripped over Incognito's foot and got about a yard. Just about any decent NFL running back gets at least 15 on that play and both Williams and McCoy probably house it.

Thought it made sense to have him on the team before the season for all the reasons you mentioned above, but his play at RB has really regressed from last year. He used to grind out some decent runs and always fell forward for a couple extra yards. Reliable in the red zone and I can't remember him ever fumbling. But he's had a bad season so far, can't recall his name even being mentioned on ST this year either.

He's still great as a teammate/locker room guy but he needs to pick it up on the field a bit.

As a side note, I think they should promote Cierre Wood from the PS and use him as the backup to Karlos. He's pretty good, great college player and I thought he did rather well in preseason.

He's consistently shown that he is not a short yardage back. I don't know if he could move a pile of leaves.

didn't he just score a TD from the one??

I was wondering that myself.

---

He seems to dance around a lot for a big guy... he needs to just run forward, if he only picks up a couple yards so be it... leave the dancing for the quicker guys.

he was just excited to have the ball : )

He will settle down

That's because a pile of leaves is arguably more durable than the Colts D-line

it's worth a debate for sure : )

I don't get what the bills were thinking last game. All his carries came on 3rd and 4th downs-- typically very important plays.

Change of pace back.........

The 3rd and 9 play that resulted in the missed FG was the worst. That play was brilliantly blocked and setup but Dixon tripped over Incognito's foot and got about a yard. Just about any decent NFL running back gets at least 15 on that play and both Williams and McCoy probably house it.

no he tripped over his own foot.

As a side note, I think they should promote Cierre Wood from the PS and use him as the backup to Karlos. He's pretty good, great college player and I thought he did rather well in preseason.

I bet the Bills do exactly that. Especially with Sammy potentially out too

Let me preface this by saying I WANT to like Dixon, he seems like a great locker room guy / teammate, he plays well on special teams, but he just can't seem to do anything on offense. He isn't given the ball a ton but every time he is it's the same result - he is immediately put down. It's getting to the point where it's not even a surprise. I remember in the Miami game where they gave him short yardage and everyone in the room watching said: here comes a punt. He's carried 8 times this year and has a 0 (ZERO) yard average. His one shinning moment was slamming into the pile in Indy and having the OL basically work him into the end zone...barely. With Shady out this week it's worrisome that the next guy up after Karlos is unlikely to gain a single yard. Is Dixon's special teams ability really enough to keep him on the roster or should the Bills be looking to make a change soon?

Asked and answered counselor, when Fred Jackson and Bryce Brown were cut.

He's old school. Give him another game or two to get into season shape folks.

This is a quality take, and one I tend to agree with. He's a "character". Characters matter. I'm not talking about him being "a character guy", I'm talking about him being a character. Guys like Dixon go a long way to help a team gel, and probably help get through tough spots during the year. This opinion is based solely on what I have heard about him over the last year or two. I have no personal experience with the man. I get the idea he generates lots of laughs and I think that's really important in any work/team setting.

This is a quality take, and one I tend to agree with. He's a "character". Characters matter. I'm not talking about him being "a character guy", I'm talking about him being a character. Guys like Dixon go a long way to help a team gel, and probably help get through tough spots during the year. This opinion is based solely on what I have heard about him over the last year or two. I have no personal experience with the man. I get the idea he generates lots of laughs and I think that's really important in any work/team setting.

But Fred Jackson is gone and the Bills are leaderless!!!!

He is the second back this week, I think that's why some are voicing concern.

He is still the #3 in the end, concern is odd since you should know why he is the #3. Edited by Beef Jerky

The Bills are leading the league in rushing. Felton has been fine. Karlos was saying this week how Felton was blocking great for him.

Well Taylor has 96 of our 458 yards and Harvin 32. We aren't an effective rushing team with our RB's and Felton was supposed to be a big part of improving our run game - and hasn't.

Edited by Triple Threat

Well Taylor has 96 of our 458 yards and Harvin 32. We aren't an effective rushing team with our RB's and Felton was supposed to be a big part of improving our run game - and hasn't.

I think that's on the OL. They're really a middling group so I think the RBs are actually doing well to be where they are.

Edited by vincec

I don't know if you watched any games last year. This problem has persisted since then. I refuse to believe that all our RB's suck. This sad carryover has plagued all our backs EXCEPT Williams for some reason. From what I've read, Karlos shouldn't have a hard time rushing for 100 yards and at least 1 TD on Sunday but if he doesn't, you'll finally find out why.

I think you can add calling Jerome Felton too. He hasn't helped the run game much at all.

This! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. He doesn't open holes for the backs and he isn't much of a receiver it would seem. Why is he even on the roster? Might as well use Mulligan as a FB. This guy is a mauler and can catch too.

People pick on the craziest things... A #3 RB...

No, I can understand their concerns. He is #2 on the depth chart now. As others have pointed out,I hope they bring someone up from the PS if McCoy is inactive Sunday.,

The Bills are leading the league in rushing. Felton has been fine. Karlos was saying this week how Felton was blocking great for him.

His TD came from a pulling RI; there wasn't a FB present on that play.

He's a third string RB. Karol's Williams has been fantastic and I want McCoy to sit for two weeks. We can handle the Titans without him. We need the explosive McCoy for the Bengals.

My feeling is sit Watkins and McCoy for the next two weeks. Get them completely healthy for the toughest game of the year outside of the Patriots.

However good he is or isn't, I hope he gets the ball a ton, because now I'm paranoid about Karlos getting hurt. I know that makes no sense, but I'm afraid if Williams gets the ball 25 times this week because McCoy's out (especially against this rush D) we'll be down to ZERO healthy RBs that are good.

Dixon may not have done much yet, but how much worse can he be than last year?

Has anyone signed Brown yet?

I believe in the Boob. We finally gave him carries he didn't get in SF and he had a higher average than Fred or CJ, 4.1 in a less than dynamic rushing attack. The team, including Roman seems to be good with him and I am too. He runs hungry and finishes the play and is tough to tackle whenever he can move downhill. I like his vision/decision making. He has 8 or so carries this year and a good chunk are short yardage plays that got blown up and a shotgun draw that went the same way. Not a bellcow but I think can produce in our power running offense. He may not be full speed from that calf injury yet. This usually comes in time.

Re-posted from another thread. I'll just add that there's very little mileage on the tires here, so I see no reason to think he won't recover fully from the calf at some point and be the solid hand he was last year.