A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

1. Karlos Williams and Darby are looking like two fantastic draft picks.

2. Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes was genius

3. Charles Clay is a great all around TE, and a solid FA acquisition

4. Signing Percy Harvin and Incognito with something to prove was genius.

5. And Tyrod looks like the real deal.....the first time that can be said for the Bills in a long time

Thanks for posting Bill!

All very true, but I'd reverse the order. Having a real QB is first and foremost!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4. May the music never stop, indeed.

6. Harvin was a first down machine. Nice to see somebody pick up for Fred.

Preston Alonso.

As long as it's Preston's knees.

Philbin is done, possibly tomorrow, or a week from then.

After NE** in London...

Teams like to give a new coach or interim the extra week to make the transition.

Funny, but in all seriousness, Boobie's feet look like they are stuck in cement. He really shouldn't be getting touches. If we're trying to pound it, let's see what Felton with a head of steam can do. Otherwise, just a wasted opportunity to give Karlos the ball.

Maybe just two carries a game....every time the announcers say his name my 10 year old giggles

Haha alright that's fair. Especially if we're up by 30... give him the ball as many times as you want!

For the first time in a long time... I watched the 2nd half of a Bills game and had no worries they would somehow find a way to blow the lead and the game. That pretty much says it all.

Whether the Fins are this bad or the Bills this good, I'm not sure yet. But this Bills team just played one of the best all around games that we've seen in at least a decade. Does anyone one doubt that this team is headed in the right direction?

Thanks, Bill. One observation: like most NFL teams, the Bills fail 95 percent of the time when they try to run it up the middle with a running back on third and more than inches (i.e., a full 1-1.5 yards). It almost never works, and the Bills should be passing in those situations more than they do. My take: defenses go into such situations with a mentality of selling out to stop the run (which almost always works) and figure that if a team is smart enough to pass in such situations, hats off to them.

Edited by dave mcbride

their fan base is a joke. They were 1-1 with a home opener against a division rival and the stadium looked like a 4th preseason game.

I would agree but did you see how many of our super fans left the game (really) early last week.

What's even more impressive is that Taylor is averaging the highest "Air Yards" per attempt in the NFL at over 26 yards per attempt. Funny that right after CBS posted this stat, he tosses his 38 yard TD to Hogan...

For him to be throwing the ball that far in the air and for his completion percentage to be over 72% is REALLY REALLY good.

26 yards per attempt? He has to be lapping the field. And those long shots down field open up the short pass/ball control game. Wilcots mentioned about half a dozen times how far off Harvin the Dolphins CB was playing. That's because he was afraid of being torched by Percy and Tyrod.

Thanks, Bill. One observation: like most NFL teams, the Bills fail 95 percent of the time when they try to run it up the middle with a running back on third and more than inches (i.e., a full 1-1.5 yards). It almost never works, and the Bills should be passing in those situations more than they do. My take: defenses go into such situations with a mentality of selling out to stop the run (which almost always works) and figure that if a team is smart enough to pass in such situations, hats off to them.

I'm surprised we aren't seeing the kind of play where Taylor fakes the handoff and bootlegs to one side with a TE out in front, giving him the option of throwing or running. Seems like it would be almost unstoppable with Taylor as QB.

I'm surprised we aren't seeing the kind of play where Taylor fakes the handoff and bootlegs to one side with a TE out in front, giving him the option of throwing or running. Seems like it would be almost unstoppable with Taylor as QB.

I agree it would be tough to cover, but I'd rather see us call plays that protect our MVP more. The QB position is everything in the league these days (obviously) and I want to keep our guy around! Even that awkward slide today made me cringe!

I thought urbik played well and maybe even well enough to earn a starting nod over miller. Miller has struggled and may not be ready yet. Maybe it would benefit hit to take a breather and learn the mental part of the game for a bit

Thought so too!

Hmmmm Fred Williams and kiko....and a few million left over to pay Glenn or bradham.

Not so sure I want them to pay Glenn anymore. He got worked by Jones last week and this week was "ok". We''ll see.

I thought urbik played well and maybe even well enough to earn a starting nod over miller. Miller has struggled and may not be ready yet. Maybe it would benefit hit to take a breather and learn the mental part of the game for a bit

Right, so did Miller get hurt or was he pulled? Missed it with all the excitement. What's the scoop?

Not so sure I want them to pay Glenn anymore. He got worked by Jones last week and this week was "ok". We''ll see.

Right, so did Miller get hurt or was he pulled? Missed it with all the excitement. What's the scoop?

He was hurt. I actually read three different reports of a calf, hammy and groin injury. It's probably just one of them but no idea of the severity.

I would agree but did you see how many of our super fans left the game (really) early last week.

I left with 4:00 in the fourth... because I had to drive 7 hours by myself back to DC to be back at work at 8:00am the next day. Not everyone has a little jump over to Cheektowaga after the game! Judge not!

I left with 4:00 in the fourth... because I had to drive 7 hours by myself back to DC to be back at work at 8:00am the next day. Not everyone has a little jump over to Cheektowaga after the game! Judge not!

There must have been thousands who had to make that 7 hour drive with you to DC. You bought your ticket and were free to leave whenever you did (as I posted in another thread about this subject and people generally).

I just thought it was funny how some on this board were being critical of Dolphins fans when just last week I was embarrassed about all of our empty seats after so many people left really, really early.

Edited by Peter

Taylor needs to start practicing how to slide. Dude almost tore his knee up with a horrible slide today.

I think that was simply due to the wet playing conditions and his leg got caught in the turf. Having said that, it is indeed important for him to protect himself for the long haul.

For the first time in a long time... I watched the 2nd half of a Bills game and had no worries they would somehow find a way to blow the lead and the game. That pretty much says it all.

Whether the Fins are this bad or the Bills this good, I'm not sure yet. But this Bills team just played one of the best all around games that we've seen in at least a decade. Does anyone one doubt that this team is headed in the right direction?

Absolutely. I almost never trust any lead when the Bills are playing. This game was different.

Btw, it was a classy move to throw in EJ at the end. After all, he went to college down in Florida and probably had some people at the game. And speaking of EJ, he was helping out on the sidelines and not sulking. He's a good kid.

This is my take. The Bills beat up on a team that has already quit on its coach before the home opener. I can't remember anything quite like that, although maybe the 49ers last year (although I'd argue that their coach had quit on them). The announcers accused the Dolphins of sleepwalking and that's an apt description of what we witnessed today. Something is amiss, indeed.

Yeah, Philbin is going to be fired. I think that he wants to be. During the week, he made some comments alluding to the fact that they neglected the OL in the draft. You know the GM isn't happy.

That said, I'll take a divisional win! We've had lots of problems, including our OL being neglected for many years. I have little to no sympathy for the Phish.

That's the play I predicted. Stupid me...

Absolutely. I almost never trust any lead when the Bills are playing. This game was different.

Btw, it was a classy move to throw in EJ at the end. After all, he went to college down in Florida and probably had some people at the game. And speaking of EJ, he was helping out on the sidelines and not sulking. He's a good kid.

Classy and smart -- no need to risk TT in a blowout, particularly when he tweaked a knee earlier.

Have we heard anything on Miller yet? That's my primary concern coming out of this game. Sammy's injury is also disappointing, but the way Harvin is playing makes his absence at least bearable right now.

If it's just the Dolphins are that bad this or not, what I liked was to see the Bills bounce back after a tough loss last week and play hard. Thankfully with a few less penalties this time. Though we need to keep working on that so we don't give out first downs and keep shooting ourselves in the foot. Also as a side note, I loved seeing all those Bills jersey's in the lower level of their stadium.

Every team needs their backup at some point. This year or the next or the next. EJ is a good leader and proves it again and again.

Here's hoping all these tweaked injuries heal up for next week.

There must have been thousands who had to make that 7 hour drive with you to DC. You bought your ticket and were free to leave whenever you did (as I posted in another thread about this subject and people generally).

I just thought it was funny how some on this board were being critical of Dolphins fans when just last week I was embarrassed about all of our empty seats after so many people left really, really early.

That's what I'm going with!

In all seriousness, the dolphins did not sell out their home opener. I repeat, the game was not sold out. I don't think it's an equal comparison.

The only downside I can see for Rex of the blowouts against the Colts and Miami is the defensive stats taking a bash. Our defense was dominant in both but it won't show up because with sizeable leads half way through the 3rd in both games we have gone to bend don't break and given up short stuff to protect down the field in order that nobody can get that quick strike to get back in the game against us.

EDIT: I loved everything about last night. I thought Roman called a great game, Tyrod played lights out, all our receivers got involved, the defense was back to what it should be, we stopped them twice on 4 downs inside the 10 even though the game was already up... it was fantastic. One of the most enjoyable evenings of my 13 years watching our team. I almost felt a bit emotional at the end. I don't want to get ahead of myself but the woman's waters have broken and she is in labor... the baby is coming and very soon we will be showing it to the whole damn league.

Edited by GunnerBill

4th and 8 with 8:05 to play up 34-8. Stays with his guy long after the play got broken and fell down.

Yeah, classic Gilmore.

When it stops happening it will stop being the truth.

Almost all of the big plays he gives up are plays where he let's up and lost focus because he thinks the ball isn't coming his way or will be uncatchable. The tape doesn't lie.

Otherwise he played a good game but that's back-to-back weeks where his man matchup got into the end zone.

That little bit of competitive finish he lacks is what separates him from the elite CB's.

Darby may not have the length to match up with the biggest of pass targets but his competitiveness is refreshing after watching Gilmore punch out early a few too many times.

Seeing the way Karlos Williams and Ronald Darby have played reminded me of this gem.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/18643/bills-miss-the-mark-with-darby-williams-selections

Good to hang on to these gems on days like yesterday! To have no first rounder and find starters in the 2nd and 3rd round, plus a guy like Williams in the 5th is astonishing. This is where Doug Whaley and the scouts really are earning their money. Couple that with our 3rd round starter from last year who lit it up today... this is how you build teams that can go a long way into January!

What's even more impressive is that Taylor is averaging the highest "Air Yards" per attempt in the NFL at over 26 yards per attempt. Funny that right after CBS posted this stat, he tosses his 38 yard TD to Hogan...

For him to be throwing the ball that far in the air and for his completion percentage to be over 72% is REALLY REALLY good.

That stat was not accurate. CBS probably knew it, considering how fast they pulled it without actually speaking to it. Think about what a 26 yard air yard average would be: 260 yards through the air on a QBs first 10 attempts, plus whatever yards come after the catch. Believing a QB is averaging 26 air yards/attempt is just silly.

Through week 2, Taylor was in 3rd place behind Ben Roethlisburger and Carson Palmer with 6.69 air yards per attempt. Still very good and I would expect that number to go up after this week is tabulated, as there was almost no Trent Edwards in Taylor's game this week.

Not sure he was singling you out

When it stops happening it will stop being the truth.

Almost all of the big plays he gives up are plays where he let's up and lost focus because he thinks the ball isn't coming his way or will be uncatchable. The tape doesn't lie.

Otherwise he played a good game but that's back-to-back weeks where his man matchup got into the end zone.

That little bit of competitive finish he lacks is what separates him from the elite CB's.

Darby may not have the length to match up with the biggest of pass targets but his competitiveness is refreshing after watching Gilmore punch out early a few too many times.

Didn't he fall down?