A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

When it stops happening it will stop being the truth.

Almost all of the big plays he gives up are plays where he let's up and lost focus because he thinks the ball isn't coming his way or will be uncatchable. The tape doesn't lie.

Otherwise he played a good game but that's back-to-back weeks where his man matchup got into the end zone.

That little bit of competitive finish he lacks is what separates him from the elite CB's.

Darby may not have the length to match up with the biggest of pass targets but his competitiveness is refreshing after watching Gilmore punch out early a few too many times.

This is garbage time complaint.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boobie Brown, huh?

Name mangling aside - the number of times Roman went to Boobie Dixon on critical 3rd downs was maddening, and he failed every time.

I love me some Boobie as much as the next guy :flirt: (no seriously, I was a big fan of Dixon's play last season) but he is a major downgrade from Williams - hopefully the coaches see that when they look at this tape and rethink how they use him.

Didn't he fall down?

Hey, I fell down.......doesn't count!

He over-ran the play and lost track of the football.

Against a #3 WR.

Like I said......the tape on Gilmore doesn't lie.

He predetermines in his mind when plays are over or when his man isn't the target and doesn't play to the whistle and subsequently has embarrassing moments like that.

Like I said, he played an otherwise good game.

This is just his achilles heel and it doesn't always happen just when the team has a big lead.

He just isn't as competitive as the best need to be.

Darby has that trait and when you finish plays good things.....like gift interceptions....happen.

Absolutely. I almost never trust any lead when the Bills are playing. This game was different.Btw, it was a classy move to throw in EJ at the end. After all, he went to college down in Florida and probably had some people at the game. And speaking of EJ, he was helping out on the sidelines and not sulking. He's a good kid.

I agree. Smart and Classy putting EJ in. It's a divisional game, no sense appearing to run the score up on the fins. EJ is a good kid and team mate, it goes a long way to helping him stay involved and a part of the team. And it's never a bad idea to get some good tape on EJ if they ever wanted to shop him in the future. Karlos botched that, however, with his 41yd TD run.

Good post Bill.

With #7: Glad to see Gilmore get praise from more people on the board. I think he's really coming into his own. Starting last year I saw him improve throughout the year. My one knock on him is staying healthy. In previous years he's had to sit out to nurse injuries.

#9: I'm pleasantly surprised with Darby! I figured there'd be a learning curve period this year as he learned his position at the NFL level. Wrong. He looks real good for being this early in the season.

Go Bills vs the Giants.

Against a #3 WR.

He predetermines in his mind when plays are over or when his man isn't the target and doesn't play to the whistle and subsequently has embarrassing moments like that.

This is just his achilles heel and it doesn't always happen just when the team has a big lead.

Darby has that trait and when you finish plays good things.....like gift interceptions....happen.

I think you are beng unfairly picayune by singling out this play. It was an extended play at the end of the game. He stayed with the receiver for a long time over a lot of space. The coverage was actually very good. Because of his momentum he fell down. I don't see how one can conclude that he mishandled the play?

CBs are going to get beat and receivers are capable of making good plays. It's not a one way street. It is not unreasonable to say that the CB position is the most challenging position to play on defense. I don't know how you can conclude that he doesn't play at a high enough level? Does he get beat? Of course. What DB doesn't ?

In my opinion Gilmore is our best DB who usually draws the toughest assignment. His coverage is usually very sound. His major weakness is that he doesn't have good hands and react to the ball as well as the best CBs in the league do. I would rate him in the top third at his position, borderning near the all-pro level but not there yet.

When it stops happening it will stop being the truth.

Almost all of the big plays he gives up are plays where he let's up and lost focus because he thinks the ball isn't coming his way or will be uncatchable. The tape doesn't lie.

Otherwise he played a good game but that's back-to-back weeks where his man matchup got into the end zone.

That little bit of competitive finish he lacks is what separates him from the elite CB's.

Darby may not have the length to match up with the biggest of pass targets but his competitiveness is refreshing after watching Gilmore punch out early a few too many times.

Yeah, but that's not what happened on that play. He played hard till the end but tripped over the WR when the ball was under thrown. I'm not sure how that equates to giving up on the play.

I agree it wasn't a good play and I smacked my forehead with my palm at how badly he finished the play, but it wasn't because he stopped playing hard. He just f'd up.

8) Karlos Williams is exactly the type of running back this team needed. I mean seriously, who would you rather have, Fred and Spiller or Shady and Karlos? Case closed.

Would you rather have Shady, Karlos and Boobie or Shady, Karlos and Fred. Case really closed.

But damn if that wasn't a complete game start to finish in every way!

Edited by CodeMonkey

Smart teams save money. Fred was not missed on the field at all.

perhaps but we don't know what Jackson would have taken in terms of salary. reports were that he was willing to take a cut. besides, he was answering a hypothetical put forth by the op. I agree with his answer.

they learned from last week and moved taylor and the pocket around a lot. And on straight drops, they were deep drops so he had better vision over the line

They also played to Miami's defensive weaknesses. Now they have to figure out how to do that consistently, i.e. against teams like the Patriots. Taylor is ideal for "moving pocket" gamesmanship. He certainly sold me yesterday.

Against a #3 WR.

You and I have had this discussion before...I agree that he doesn't always finish plays.

I don't think it's as pronounced as you believe it is (or perhaps as I interpret that you believe it is), as his last 8-10 games have seen him make significantly more plays on the ball than he has before.

AS a side-note, since you mentioned it: the Gronk TD was Duke's assignment. Gilmore had the outside half of the bracket and Duke had the inside. Duke--as per usual--completely missed his assignment. Talk about a guy that's unfocused.

Anyway, as you and I have discussed, if and when Gilmore becomes the biggest weakness on the defense, we will have an all-time great unit on our hands.

Yeah, but that's not what happened on that play. He played hard till the end but tripped over the WR when the ball was under thrown. I'm not sure how that equates to giving up on the play.

I agree it wasn't a good play and I smacked my forehead with my palm at how badly he finished the play, but it wasn't because he stopped playing hard. He just f'd up.

The reason he fell down is because he lost the coverage and was sprinting back to the WR. It's clear that he didn't know where the ball was, and that's why he tripped in trying to set up at the last second.

I think BADOL saying that Gilmore gave up on the play when he and the WR were on the 10 yard line.

The reason he fell down is because he lost the coverage and was sprinting back to the WR. It's clear that he didn't know where the ball was, and that's why he tripped in trying to set up at the last second.

I think BADOL saying that Gilmore gave up on the play when he and the WR were on the 10 yard line.

He did give up on the play and it's annoying when he does that - but I don't think it's because he's not competitive enough. He's plenty competitive. Gilmore is at his best from 5-15 yards from the LOS. After that, he lacks the long speed and ball skills of elite cover CBs. But he's perfect for this defense (and a perfect complement to Darby) because he can neutralize the other team's #1 receiver in the time it usually takes for the passrush to achieve its objective. Darby, by contrast, can run stride for stride with the faster guys,

He did give up on the play and it's annoying when he does that - but I don't think it's because he's not competitive enough. He's plenty competitive. Gilmore is at his best from 5-15 yards from the LOS. After that, he lacks the long speed and ball skills of elite cover CBs. But he's perfect for this defense (and a perfect complement to Darby) because he can neutralize the other team's #1 receiver in the time it usually takes for the passrush to achieve its objective. Darby, by contrast, can run stride for stride with the faster guys,

I agree re: ball skills.

His long speed, however, is fine IMO. He's a 4.40 guy; not quite as fast as Darby, but close (Darby ran 4.38). Darby has better short-area quickness, whereas Gilmore is taller and has better length.

I really like both at this point though.

His long speed, however, is fine IMO. He's a 4.40 guy; not quite as fast as Darby, but close (Darby ran 4.38). Darby has better short-area quickness, whereas Gilmore is taller and has better length.

This. I can't think of a team I would want to swap corners with. Revis is amazing but cromartie is meh.

This. I can't think of a team I would want to swap corners with. Revis is amazing but cromartie is meh.

No question in my mind that, from top to bottom, Buffalo has the best stable of corners in the division.

I think Denver might have the best top 3 in the NFL though with Talib, Harris, and Roby...though I think we're in the discussion for best starting duo, best top 3, and best unit top-to-bottom in the AFC, perhaps even the NFL.

yep; Gilmore is plenty fast.

You're not kidding about the ball skills. It's also about position, which they are phenomenal at. They get their heads turned around and put themselves in great spots to make plays on the ball. Gotta tip my hat to Donnie Henderson, Dennis Thurman, and Rex on this front, as well. Getting a rookie up to speed that fast is... wow.

5) Do you see what happens when we blitz up the middle? This set up the Brown pick/TD. This is what football is supposed to look like when a team has a talented defense.

11) Tyrod is the man!!!! The pass to Sammy was picture perfect and what I loved about it was that he didn't have to step into the throw. The kid has an arm, is smart, and is the fastest qb in the NFL. There is nothing not to like and maybe the talk about switching starters will finally stop, no?

13) Time to come home and beat up the Giants!

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5) This defense tackles so well. Nice to see fundamentals. They don't give up a lot of extra yardage either on runs or pass plays.

#11) Also nice to see that any fear I had of Tyrod taking off to run without letting pass routes develop isn't a glaring concern.

#14) Nothing to add to that. Well said.

Maybe this hs already been mentioned...but one of the most spectacular catches i have ever seen was on the opening kickoff. Anyone else amazed Landry just stuck his left hand up and caught that thing like it was nothing?

I mean i have never seen a kickoff one handed like that.

They give the same excuse LA fans do - so many other things to do.

I lived in South Flori!a for 12 years and it is not so much that there are so many other things to do but everyone is from somewhere else in the country. I knew more Jets fans than Dolphin fans when I lived there.

I thought urbik played well and maybe even well enough to earn a starting nod over miller. Miller has struggled and may not be ready yet. Maybe it would benefit hit to take a breather and learn the mental part of the game for a bit

I think Mikler has a lot more upside so maybe itbwould be beneficial to keep him in to learn on the job. If he starts to become a game losing liability then take his butt out! JMHO

It didn't help that Rambo (I'm pretty sure it was him) bit on someone crossing the middle, who was already covered by 2 players.

Yesterday was tremendous. Just a complete beat down of a team that looks like it wants to get its head coach fired asap.

I am concerned about Watkins. Even when he isn't targeted a lot he opens things up for other guys and teams need to account for him. I saw where Victor Cruz has been out like 6 weeks with a calf problem. I am not a doctor and I dont know if all calf injuries are the same but I sure as hell hope Watkins isnt looking at that much time out. We seem to have so many muscle injuries in our skill players I really would like them to look at what their trainers are doing and change things if necessary.

There must have been thousands who had to make that 7 hour drive with you to DC. You bought your ticket and were free to leave whenever you did (as I posted in another thread about this subject and people generally).

I just thought it was funny how some on this board were being critical of Dolphins fans when just last week I was embarrassed about all of our empty seats after so many people left really, really early.

I noticed the same thing. I'm a season ticket holder with 5 other guys and I was the only one left in our goup when TT threw that last interception on what could have been a game tying drive. I was really hoping I'd see some buddies eat some crow if we did come back!

The only downside I can see for Rex of the blowouts against the Colts and Miami is the defensive stats taking a bash. Our defense was dominant in both but it won't show up because with sizeable leads half way through the 3rd in both games we have gone to bend don't break and given up short stuff to protect down the field in order that nobody can get that quick strike to get back in the game against us.

EDIT: I loved everything about last night. I thought Roman called a great game, Tyrod played lights out, all our receivers got involved, the defense was back to what it should be, we stopped them twice on 4 downs inside the 10 even though the game was already up... it was fantastic. One of the most enjoyable evenings of my 13 years watching our team. I almost felt a bit emotional at the end. I don't want to get ahead of myself but the woman's waters have broken and she is in labor... the baby is coming and very soon we will be showing it to the whole damn league.

Probably a good but very disturbing synopsis! I have images in my head that shouldn't be there while I'm thinking about football!

Unofficial...his official time (upon review) was 4.40:

What a slacker!

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/stephon-gilmore?id=2533062

Maybe this hs already been mentioned...but one of the most spectacular catches i have ever seen was on the opening kickoff. Anyone else amazed Landry just stuck his left hand up and caught that thing like it was nothing?

I mean i have never seen a kickoff one handed like that.

I saw that, and I was equally impressed. I thought for a second I must have missed his other hand, but nope.

Just want to let Bill know that (besides the Buffalo Bills Twitter news feed), this is the thing I always look forward to Monday mornings...even when we lose. In fact, I think the mods should pin these every Monday.

Yes, now, if only there was a like button on TBD so we could all like this and indicate our support for such a thing.

GREAT WIN. So many good things happened today.

In terms of #24:

Gilmore is not a flashy guy. He does his job. He has stone hands however. On that TD he got lost. It was a broken play so I will give him a break, but really, he should have just stuck with his man.

Also, let it be known it was his man that scored the 2 point conversion. Giving 5 yard spread on his man on a 2 point conversion is just dumb.

Also, Boobie Dixon should never touch the ball again but Rex likes him. Anyone else watch the Rex Ryan dressing room speech. He jokes alot with his players. Whaley was drinking a beer and Pegula really looks out of place. Looks like a serious man.

GREAT WIN. So many good things happened today.

In terms of #24:

Gilmore is not a flashy guy. He does his job. He has stone hands however. On that TD he got lost. It was a broken play so I will give him a break, but really, he should have just stuck with his man.

Also, let it be known it was his man that scored the 2 point conversion. Giving 5 yard spread on his man on a 2 point conversion is just dumb.

Also, Boobie Dixon should never touch the ball again but Rex likes him. Anyone else watch the Rex Ryan dressing room speech. He jokes alot with his players. Whaley was drinking a beer and Pegula really looks out of place. Looks like a serious man.

He stuck to his man so hard that he tripped over him.

He stuck to his man so hard that he tripped over him.

Good Golly, Go see the replay, He actually lost him in the middle of the field by 4-6 yards. He was running back as fast as he could to stick with him. The receiver stopped to catch the underthrown ball and he kept going and tripped over him.

Also, Boobie Dixon should never touch the ball again but Rex likes him.

Never touch it? Not sure I agree with it. There are times when he is effective and times when he is not. He seems to be more effective where he can use his length to stretch for plays but is not a bruiser, up the middle runner. His hands are soft (would you expect otherwise with a nickname of Boobie?) and when he gets some momentum he can run. He a long run on an away game last year against Jets but not sure that was his longest run.

And unlike others I do not think he is on the offense because Rex is soft; I think he is playing because Roman is trying to get mismatches and give the other runners a break.

In my opinion Gilmore is our best DB who usually draws the toughest assignment. His coverage is usually very sound. His major weakness is that he doesn't have good hands and react to the ball as well as the best CBs in the league do. I would rate him in the top third at his position, borderning near the all-pro level but not there yet.

I would totally agree with the above synopsis. I think that what Badol is saying is that with more effort and concentration Gilmore would be that much better, perhaps a star.

I can't speak for him but if my hunch is correct, I agree 100%.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I would totally agree with the above synopsis. I think that what Badol is saying is that with more effort and concentration Gilmore would be that much better, perhaps a star.

I can't speak for him but if my hunch is correct, I agree 100%.

Exactly.

In the past he also had an issue with slow starts to seasons.

The guy is a talent but has not been an elite corner because he is not a great competitor.

Edited by #BADOL