Pats* pulling the ol' Lawyer Milloy trick possibly.

Why would a player, who is in for a try out, give up plays? If he was signed then maybe he would, if he can remember them. Him knowing the plays is his bargaining chip.

I'm sure he would be "tipped" generously for the information on his way out the door. Seriously though, have any players ever commented on this practice? Teams bringing in players for a "try out" in order to get information about an opponent? Seems to me like it happens frequently, and is kind of just part of the game.

I'm sure he would be "tipped" generously for the information on his way out the door. Seriously though, have any players ever commented on this practice? Teams bringing in players for a "try out" in order to get information about an opponent? Seems to me like it happens frequently, and is kind of just part of the game.

I wouldn't put it past the Pats to offer Brown a nice sum of cash in hand for a copy of the playbook, heh.

Follow-up question as to whether or not this practice has actually borne fruit? It seems to me that as this happens fairly regularly, someone would have data on this.

Don't we already have this thread?

I'm not worried about Bryce Brown, though I am sure the Patriots asked him about the Bills playbook.

With Karlos looking like a stud in waiting, not concerned at all

I actually think its a positive sign for Whaley who won't hold onto a player just because he dealt for him.. He's not afraid to move on,

With Karlos looking like a stud in waiting, not concerned at all

I actually think its a positive sign for Whaley who won't hold onto a player just because he dealt for him.. He's not afraid to move on,

The thing that is really exciting about Karlos WIlliams is he definately has room to get better

He hasnt even been a running back for that long.....he was a safety.

Does anyone who thinks cutting Bryce Brown was a bad move ever watch him play?

Does anyone think that Bryce Brown actually studied the playbook? Unless the playbook consisted of "take handoff, take one step, immediately cut left, stop, try to break outside, then either (1) fumble ball, (2) get tackled for loss, or (3) (once every 40 carries) break free for 30 run gain."

The fumble issue is overblown. He fumbled a lot as a rookie. And sadly everyone knows the KC fumble. But he is a strong runner. Who knows how much useful info he can give the Pats**?

He also fumbled a bunch in camp & practice. He's also not known to be the sharpest tool, so whatever info he gives to the *, may actually turn to Bills' advantage.

How did this fumble thing get so out of control? He fumbles about once out of every 57 touches. That certainly isn't great but by comparison Freddy fumbled about once out of every 59 and we never talked about his fumble issues.

I don't think it's a made up issue by the fans. Listen to the coaches.

“He has been careless with the football his whole career,” running backs coach Anthony Lynn said. “He’s gotten away with it. But now that defenses have caught up with offenses and ball security, they practice it every day. They’re more worried about taking the ball from you, than tackling you.”

Does anyone who thinks cutting Bryce Brown was a bad move ever watch him play?

Is anyone in the 'Bryce Brown is utterly worthless' camp familiar with his background or see him play in college or his rookie season? Yes, we know he fumbled a few times and had a hard time getting going in a few games last year behind a completely incompetent line.

Had former Bills RB Bryce Brown in for a workout Friday. This concerns me minimally,seeing how A.) Bryce was 4th string on the depth chart and B.) fumbled like it was a bodily function. Just my opinion. Any concern from other fans if he's signed?

Not even close...Milloy was a star player cut right before the season started. There is no comparison

I don't think it's a made up issue by the fans. Listen to the coaches.

The point that I was making is that it isn't much different than Fred (every 57 touches vs. every 59) and we never trashed him about it. Stevan Ridley has the same reputation and I think that he is like every 75 touches. Sometimes our perception isn't really what reality is.

I wouldn't put it past the Pats to offer Brown a nice sum of cash in hand for a copy of the playbook, heh.

That would be on us, then, since when a player is cut the equipment manager is supposed to collect his playbook and ipad and such.

But, they could certainly pay him to pick his brain for what he remembers, along the lines cited in the ESPN Article:

As much as the Patriots tried to keep the circle of those who knew about the taping small, sometimes the team would add recently cut players from upcoming opponents and pay them only to help decipher signals, former Patriots staffers say. In 2005, for instance, they signed a defensive player from a team they were going to play in the upcoming season. Before that game, the player was led to a room where Adams was waiting. They closed the door, and Adams played a compilation tape that matched the signals to the plays from the player's former team, and asked how many were accurate. "He had about 50 percent of them right," the player says now.

Obviously, it's no longer a question of defensive signals, but I can imagine Belichek trying to get more intel on what plays might be run from different defensive pre-snap looks and similar on offense.

I could be wrong, but if they were seriously interested in him as a player, I don't understand why they wouldn't bring him in right away.

Edited by Hopeful

The point that I was making is that it isn't much different than Fred (every 57 touches vs. every 59) and we never trashed him about it. Stevan Ridley has the same reputation and I think that he is like every 75 touches. Sometimes our perception isn't really what reality is.

Yet the coaches have the same perception, and couple that with brain dead play on the field, you see why it's not a coincidence that he's still unemployed while Freddie got a phone call within one hour from the two SuperBowl teams.

I understand your point with regard to actual fumbles (and actually Fred is a little worse per touch if you count in his ST fumbles).

I watched whatever I could of his play, though, and I think I see what was ticking off the coaches. His ball security is really very poor. He doesn't switch arms with the ball when a defender is approaching. When he's getting tackled, he doesn't bring his 2nd arm up to cradle and protect the ball. Keep that up and play enough that other teams get tape on it, and it's only a matter of time until the fumbles skyrocket. I expect what finally sent him to the Turk here is having been presumably given coaching on this point, then called out by Rex publically, and not addressing it.