Fans outside WNY have no clue about the Bills

PromoTheRobot

I live in NH and I'm struck by how little football fans know about the Bills. Last night one guy at hockey told me the Bills will suck until they get rid of Orton at QB! :lol: Any out of town fans have to put up with such buffoonery?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Of course. But at the same time, why should anyone outside of Buffalo pay any attention to a team that hasn't made the playoffs since Clinton was president? It's quite ridiculous.

We all tend to see the great potential in the team, and I think they will be very relevant this season, but to everyone else this is a team that has defined mediocrity for over a decade. Who would pay any attention to that?

I live in NH and I'm struck by how little football fans know about the Bills. Last night one guy at hockey told me the Bills will suck until they get rid of Orton at QB! :lol: Any out of town fans have to put up with such buffoonery?

All the time my friend. Bills are simply not part of the NFL conversation, especially where I am in the DC area where they still gloat over the SB win a hundred years ago. Been off the radar a very long time. As they are in the Pats/Jets/Phins AFC East, IF IF IF they start winning they will get re-recognized quickly simply by east coast market exposure. So winning will cure everything.

Of course. But at the same time, why should anyone outside of Buffalo pay any attention to a team that hasn't made the playoffs since Clinton was president? It's quite ridiculous.

We all tend to see the great potential in the team, and I think they will be very relevant this season, but to everyone else this is a team that has defined mediocrity for over a decade. Who would pay any attention to that?

Yup. People consider the Bills a perennial doormat and any hype (we've heard pre-season hype before) from Bills fans to be just typical delusional fandom.

Nothing will change that until the Bills make the playoffs.

Dear God that's beautiful. Not for nothing Promo, but I wouldn't burn any bridges with a Bills fan in NH if I were you (regardless of how clueless might be).

To be fair, half of our fans active on this board would struggle with random starters on teams they don't follow before the season even starts.

Are you saying he's a Bills fan outside of WNY or a football fan outside of WNY and doesn't know about the Bills?

Yup. People consider the Bills a perennial doormat and any hype (we've heard pre-season hype before) from Bills fans to be just typical delusional fandom.

Nothing will change that until the Bills make the playoffs.

I don't know that I'd say people generally think the Bills are a perennial doormat, just that they are a perennial average-to-below-average team, which is really boring to anyone who's not a fan of the team. If they were a real perennial doormat, I think people would maybe pay a little attention just because of the curiosity of it.

Edited by Rubes

To be fair, half of our fans active on this board would struggle with random starters on teams they don't follow before the season even starts.

Yup. I lived in NC for a number of years and felt I knew a thing or two about the Panthers. Until last night, when I was all: "Holy sh#t, Deangelo Williams plays for the Steelers now??!"

No need for an inferiority complex chip on your shoulder.

I was in Italy in 1994, met some Italian kid, liked American football, Bills were his favorite team, couldn't understand how one team could lose 4 Super Bowls in a row.

Maybe you don't hang around with intelligent football fans. Out here in AZ and all my friends around the country that are football fans are well versed on the Bills.

It's a fair point I think. I reckon I could nail the offensive skill position starters of probably 30 of the 32 and probably the main defensive stars on about the same. But who plays right tackle for the Buccs or who is left guard for the Lions and who the nose tackle is in Washington.....? I'd struggle off the top of my head.

EDIT: Although I do know every starting Quarterback and thinking we still have Orton is a new level of idiocy.

Edited by GunnerBill

New England fans already talking about how they are going to kick Buffalo in the nuts. After the colts beat the crap out of us

Hey, it could happen.

By the way, anybody know how Gronk has performed against Rex defenses? I'm boarding a plane and can't easily check.

The radio guys here in Columbus talk about the Bills a fair amount, but it's always things like "Sure they got McCoy but who is the QB, yeah they resigned Dareus but what's the point without a QB"?

Then with the Browns they'll say "why draft a QB until you've got a full team"?

They did pick the Bills to win a wildcard.

The general fan population has zero clue. The media is paying attention, but I wonder how much is talent based and how much is the "Rex Effect"? All I know is this: the more TV folks pick us against the Colts, the more nervous I get!

I live in NWPA and a guy at work said- Buffalo needs a better QB than Manuel and their coach sucks... Just to bait him and show his incompetence, I said "you don't like Marrone" he said, "no, he's a fool" I laughed and said "that was $4M well spent" and he thought I was talking about his salary.... I had to educate him on our QB and coach.... He shrugged and said "you guys might be okay..." Freaking retards

Why would they? The Bills have been irrelevant for years. Except to all of us of course.

This is the truth. I am amazed at the number of people outside of WNY know many details about the Superbowl era Bills. The knowledge then rightfully drops into the abyss after the Music City lateral.

He'll even as Bills fans we would really like to simply erase the last fourteen years from memory. Why would we think anyone else outside of WNY would care about the Bills of this time period? Keep in mind for much of this era our most beloved and favorite player was a punter. Moorman was a great guy and a good player. Face it if much of what you have to cheer about on a Sunday is your punter that is sad.

Football fan..Pats fan actually. Not a Bills fan.

If we took a survey going into the stadium last home preseason game, what percentage of bills fans could've named the jets starting qb?

Heck, I bet a good number would miss the Dolphins starters name.

If your not DIE HARD and/or big into fantasy football, most nfl fans can't name everybody, they just enjoy the game on Sunday.

PTR- I'm now used to it in FL. So many people do not know the Bills, but then again, those that do know our team, know football. I make sure my friends know a lot about the Bills, because I tell them about it.

The cool thing in Tampa is there is a lot of Buffalo transplants here in this area. There is a cool buffalo bar in Largo. Pics of Jimmy Griffin, and the Steel plant. These days I watch the game at home with my boys with the ticket. Besides, last year was the only year did not have the ticket, and went to the Tilted Kilt for the games. I hated it as a bunch of morons who know nothing about the Bills spouting off about them.

19-0 Baby!!!

Try living in Texas, I live about 2hrs from Dallas, have come across only one other Bills fan in the area. Cowboy fans rank right up there with Patriot** fans when it comes to general knowledge of the NFL. The only thing anyone around here has been able to say about the Bills is the Cowboys beat them in the Superbowl

Terry just wins in everything he does.

Expect good things. There are great people in charge at all the key positions in this organization now. Don't forget this is the Pegula's first full year as owners.

The tide is about to change for both teams in a BIG way!

To the out of town point though, I was watching a couple of sports guys from NYC discuss Rex and how he will totally flop with the Bills.

They basically said we were falling for his shtick but he couldn't manage games, has unprepared teams, and will ultimately fail.

They then went on to mock Greg Roman, saying he had no clue how to run an offense. They actually started laughing at the idea that Greg Roman would be the OC, as if it was so out of left field.

That told me that they had no freaking clue what they were talking about.

I am actually quite surprised at the general knowledge of the Buffalo Bills here in Oklahoma. Although no one else at my job is a Bills fan, I get plenty of pats on the back for my loyalty, and good wishes for my team. I have a great group of guys in my fantasy league who are all very knowledgeable on all the teams.

College football rules here, but NFL fans here (of all teams), are pretty doggone educated.

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH