ANYONE ELSE HAVE SYMPATHY FOR HACKETT?

A young man with a young family, learning his craft at Syracuse. His boss gets a job with an NFL team and takes Nate with him where he has to deal with regular changes at QB over which he has no control (and the QBs are not very good). He has a weak OL which his boss is supposed to be good at fixing – but it gets no better. He gets pilloried game after game for poor play calling and now there are stories that he wanted to be more inventive but was held back by his boss – who then quits and leaves him virtually unemployable (no new HC was ever going to keep him on and his prospects of getting another OC post seem to be slim). Maybe he was in over his head, but did he really deserve this?

I don't feel bad for him. He made a career decision to come to the Bills knowing that it may not last. He did a poor job with the offense and is out of work because of it.

We really don't know what was going on in the inside. For all we know, he hated and clashed with Marrone too. Either way, Marrone screwed him over. Business is business though.

I believe he is still under contract for next year which is guaranteed as all are so its not like he wont have any income. I would be surprised if he gets an opportunity to walk right in as an OC but he could easily return to college and get another job next year if he doesnt land an NFL job.

No doubt that Marrone left him and others out to dry though as most if not all would still be here next year. If Schwartz had another good year as DC with Bills he most likely would have been in line for another HC opportunity next year or at worst a bump as assistant HC.

Edited by Max997

We really don't know what was going on in the inside. For all we know, he hated and clashed with Marrone too. Either way, Marrone screwed him over. Business is business though.

He took the job knowing what might have happened. I think that he was going to get fired if Marrone stayed. In some ways he is better off as a casualty of the situation, instead of a casualty of his performance. They are paid well to do a job and he didn't do his well. He may improve wherever he goes next but that's the way that the world works. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Yes.

I think he was held back by Saint Doug as well QB and interior line play.

He may well be as bright as (for example) some people think Gase is.

At the beginning of the Denver game, we saw some creativity. After getting behind because of penalties etc., the Bills were forced to get away from their game plan.

In any event, I hope he gets another chance.

Yes.

I think he was held back by Saint Doug as well QB and interior line play.

He may well be as bright as (for example) some people think Gase is.

At the beginning of the Denver game, we saw some creativity. After getting behind because of penalties etc., the Bills were forced to get away from their game plan.

In any event, I hope he gets another chance.

:thumbsup:

I think it was crappy for Marrone to leave him out to dry like that, especially after making our offensive troubles in 2014 look like Hackett's fault.

This is why I feel bad for him. FJax basically said Marrone took over the offense and Hackett wanted to run different things. If there is a position opening I hope Ryan offers it to Hackett. On another note, Cuse could use his help again, esp. in recruiting.

It sure seems like Hackett wasn't ready for the NFL though I recall Freddy saying Hackett was "handcuffed" or something like that.

Hackett is a human being and I have sympathy for (almost) all human beings.

Hackett is also a smart, enthusiastic young guy. I think and hope he learns from this experience and eventually becomes a good OC in college or the NFL some day.

I agree...his last name is stronger than his association with Marrone. His dad has ties in the NFL as well as college. He will rightly have future opportunities.

absolutely - he never threw anyone under the bus.. he may have to tighten things up in how he goes about preparation, but he's young and his passion for the game's been there since he was carrying the 49er's equipment as a boy.

He took the job knowing what might have happened. I think that he was going to get fired if Marrone stayed. In some ways he is better off as a casualty of the situation, instead of a casualty of his performance.

That's a good point. This is the life of a coach, they're all just waiting to be fired. No one is untouchable forever, though some have a lot more security than others.

He wasn't good enough for the NFL. He should head back to some small ball college where he'll still make great money to be a mediocre coach at that level. Guy will do just fine. Hella happy to see him off the Bills sideline... err, out of the booth.

I don't feel bad for him. He wasn't ready and he probably knew it--but he wasn't going to turn down the Bills job.

He busted out, but hey, we now have Spagnuolo's and April's offspring on the coaching staff.

He's now offically a retread--so he will get another job in the NFL, because that's how they mange their business.

the only thing good i've ever heard anyone say about Hackett is that he's got a lot of enthusiasm.

he and marrone took Cuse to a .500 team with a very good college qb, which isn't really much of an accomplishment.

he lacked inventiveness and game calling skills (from my limited viewpoint on my couch).

get the guy into a college scenario where his skill of being enthusiastic can help recruit good high school players. he'll be more rewarded in a job like that by developing young players in the sport he loves. the NFL isn't where he belongs anyway. i'd go play for the guy if i was a high school standout.

Since he probably got the job as an OC in the NFL because of his name and his dad - I don't see Harvey Johnson Junior getting any coordinator jobs in his 30s - he could very likely get work for a couple years on the college level, or as a position coach, and then re-start his OC career in his 40s like most OC's. I don't really feel sorry for him. I think he needs to choose his friends better.

Id imagine that Hacketts and Marrones personal relationship is pretty strained by all that went down here. I dont feel bad for Nate, i wouldnt be surprised if he got another crack at coaching on an NFL team.