Revis? Hughes?

Considering Revis only signed a one year deal with New England and the Pats don't seem to like to tie players up in high money long term contracts, there is a good chance Revis will leave the Pats. Given that he excelled in Rex's defense, I think there is a chance we go after him.

With the hiring of Rex, I think Hughes is much more likely to walk. Hughes was traded to us from Indianapolis laregly because he did not excel in the Colts 3-4 scheme. Now Rex is converting the Bills to a 3-4. Also, Mario Williams did not like Wade Philips 3-4 in Houston.

Considering Revis only signed a one year deal with New England and the Pats don't seem to like to tie players up in high money long term contracts, there is a good chance Revis will leave the Pats. Given that he excelled in Rex's defense, I think there is a chance we go after him.

With the hiring of Rex, I think Hughes is much more likely to walk. Hughes was traded to us from Indianapolis laregly because he did not excel in the Colts 3-4 scheme. Now Rex is converting the Bills to a 3-4. Also, Mario Williams did not like Wade Philips 3-4 in Houston.

Not necessarily true

Hughes was pretty good the last time he played in this defense. Hughes was stuck behind other players and wasn't a pick of that coach or general manager and was showing signs of breaking out the year before he was traded. Why does everybody think Rex runs strictly a 34? Where was everyone 2 years ago?

Revis, we are going to a 3-4. Thats a no brainer. Hughes stunk in a 3-4 scheme in Indy. Dont think for a minute this wasnt a consideration during the entire coach search process. expect Hughes to be gone.

Hughes stunk in a Tampa 2. He started to show signs of life in a hybrid 3-4 and then was traded to the bills that ran a hybrid 4-3 under/34(the defense Pettine learned from rex). Hughes was used similar to a 34 pass rushing olb this year and the year before..... Edited by kr632

How much money do you think the Bills have? We need to build the lines. You don't to spend 15 or 16 million on Revis.

We have about $25m if the cap is $142m. I don't see us pursuing Revis, too costly. If we do go with a 3-4 I might be looking at NT and/or DEs as not sold Kyle Williams fits that system and a veteran LB for depth and/or to start as Hughes isn't the best in that system and I know Mario didn't like playing it in Houston with Wade Phillips.

My opinion

We dont need Revis (who most likely will be signed by the patriots with all the money Brady just freed up for them

and

Hughes really needs to stay.....

We have about $25m if the cap is $142m. I don't see us pursuing Revis, too costly. If we do go with a 3-4 I might be looking at NT and/or DEs as not sold Kyle Williams fits that system and a veteran LB for depth and/or to start as Hughes isn't the best in that system and I know Mario didn't like playing it in Houston with Wade Phillips.

Kyle fit the system just fine in Pettine's defense?

How much money do you think the Bills have? We need to build the lines. You don't to spend 15 or 16 million on Revis.

Agreed. But given Terry's deep pockets, there's some creative ways to front-load the crap out of contract to reduce the hit on the books.

We've never been in these situations before, I'm curious to what lies ahead!!!!

My opinion

We dont need Revis (who most likely will be signed by the patriots with all the money Brady just freed up for them

and

I wouldn't say he fit considering how poor our rush defense was then. Granted we have improved our LBs since then but to me Kyle Williams is best in a 43 not a 34. As he isn't big enough to be a NT and hold blockers. Dareus might be better suited manning the nose but not sure Kyle fits 100% at DE either.

My opinion

and

Brady's new deal doesnt save them any cap money. It's real complicated, but it doesn't make more cap money available.

Revis would take our D to another level. It is possible. I'd rather spend our resources on building the OL and running game as well as keeping Hughes, searcy, spikes, Wynn or Bryant and Easley. Maybe even hogan. If we can somehow add those guys plus iupati or boling I think it's a monster in the making. Draft another guard and maybe gurley or Elliott in rd 2. Watch out. In Whaley I trust

Revis would take our D to another level. It is possible. I'd rather spend our resources on building the OL and running game as well as keeping Hughes, searcy, spikes, Wynn or Bryant and Easley. Maybe even hogan. If we can somehow add those guys plus iupati or boling I think it's a monster in the making. Draft another guard and maybe gurley or Elliott in rd 2. Watch out. In Whaley I trust

Idt Elliot is draft eligible.

Revis, we are going to a 3-4. Thats a no brainer. Hughes stunk in a 3-4 scheme in Indy. Dont think for a minute this wasnt a consideration during the entire coach search process. expect Hughes to be gone.

Hughes had 8 sacks his last year with Indy and for most part couldn't get on the field bc of Freeney and Mathis so how exactly did he stink?

Revis did not sign a one year deal with Pats but thinking is his he will be released due to his high cap number

It was pettines defense that jerry had a break out year in, which is basically Rex's defense so who knows

Dare is no Pettine. Dare was da stache and den dare was da Schwartz. Nuthin wuz in between. No tree-for. Darefore jerry cant play in da tree-for. Its a no'd fack on dis bord.

Hughes had 8 sacks his last year with Indy and for most part couldn't get on the field bc of Freeney and Mathis so how exactly did he stink?

Revis did not sign a one year deal with Pats but thinking is his he will be released due to his high cap number

Look again, Hughes had 4 sacks in his final year in Indy and 5 for his career there. In Buffalo he's amassed 20. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HughJe99.htm

what is with this repetition of Ryan running a 3-4 ?

The man can run any defense he wishes.He certainly is intelligent and experienced enough.

Pettines defense was great fun to watch. but not effective enough against the run. Jim fixed that without any sacrifice. Gee Rex probably cant figure that out and will just be stubborn and run that darned 3-4 just because.

I am teasing a bit , but folks really ?

Hughes ? too soon. it might be a bean counter decision

Neither Justin Houston

Hughes leaves ?

this is the answer to that. well said BB.

That would be special but I honestly think that if KC are not able to shell space to resign him then he ends up in Carolina or Atlanta.

Houston plays out of a 34 am pretty sure Carolina is a 43 team has Greg Hardy due to be an UFA. I realize Hardy was suspended last year and they may be looking to go with someone else but not sure Houston be on their radar. He makes sense to be on the Falcons radar as well as most any team playing a 34 base. The Jets could be players too. As could the Raiders and Jaguars since both have tons of cap space and need help at pass rush.

Edited by The Jokeman

Hughes is getting better and better, and he's got an attitude that fits the ryan tude. I'll be very surprised if they don't keep him.

Yeah and Rex has shown in NY he doesn't mind making DEs OLB (see Jason Babin). I feel to keep him he needs to get at least $40M over 4 years and maybe $18M-20M guaranteed which is fair market value. I hope we don't try the "family discount" low ball approach as he's already said he's good as gone if that happens.

Houston plays out of a 34 am pretty sure Carolina is a 43 team has Greg Hardy due to be an UFA. I realize Hardy was suspended last year and they may be looking to go with someone else but not sure Houston be on their radar. He makes sense to be on the Falcons radar as well as most any team playing a 34 base. The Jets could be players too. As could the Raiders and Jaguars since both have tons of cap space and need help at pass rush.

Go watch the Chiefs game. In fact, watch a few of theirs - he has his hand in the dirt quite a lot. I just don't see us shelling out the amount for him that would be required as he is the games premier pass rusher right now. It's a possibility and I would love it if we could but I think if he ends up elsewhere, it's a place that throws the money by the truck-load at him. I could be wrong, which is more often than not. :lol:

Its really not a 3-4 scheme...its a "hybrid" 3-4, meaning its whatever rex wants it to be...

Dare is no Pettine. Dare was da stache and den dare was da Schwartz. Nuthin wuz in between. No tree-for. Darefore jerry cant play in da tree-for. Its a no'd fack on dis bord.

huh?english please

Hughes is getting better and better, and he's got an attitude that fits the ryan tude. I'll be very surprised if they don't keep him.

But in the spirit of the thread, if it's a choice between Revis/Chromartie or Hughes, I think Bills go hard after one of the CBs.

I respectfully disagree with most of this post. Rex Ryan uses a 4 man front a lot. Over the last two days he has expressed his love of Kyle Williams on multiple occasions. I expect our defense will look very similar to last year's defense more times than not. Ryan will probably use more of a variety of defensive formations, but when it comes down to it you will see our two Pro Bowl DTs lined up in a 43. I do agree that Revis will be too costly to consider but I think there is a strong possibility that Hughes is back. He has the versatility to excel in Ryan's system. He can line up as a DE in the 43 or stand up as a linebacker in a 34 front. I have no concerns about our defense. We had great defensive coaching and personnel last year and we will this year as well. It is the QB that has me concerned.

Agreed. But given Terry's deep pockets, there's some creative ways to front-load the crap out of contract to reduce the hit on the books.

We've never been in these situations before, I'm curious to what lies ahead!!!!

If they are going the FA QB route, the QB position will suck up a significant amount of dollars whether it is Cutler or Bradford.