Colin Kaepernick might very well be available this offseason

The Big Cat

No but I watched them both in college & Manuel does not have even close the tools that Kap does. Kap was raw coming out of college but he had some tools that you could work with.

Kaep is faster but there are similiar tools IMO. I lvoed Kaep out of college too. I thought he was Cam Newton JR.

But you can't even argue the situation both came into the league with. EJ missed half of his first camp, had Kolb as his mentor, and had Hackett as an OC/ QB coach. Kaep got to sit behind Alex Smith and come into games in certain situations. He also played with a great oline, running attack, and top 3 defense. Also, Harbaugh is about as good of a QB coach as there is.

To pretend that Manuel and Kaepernick are geting developed the same is flat out wrong. And given that he has taken a chance on guys like McCoy and Gabbert, I bet a guy like Harbaugh would love to work with Manuel. EJ has a lot of work to do but he has been developed by minor leaguers.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This writer thinks that kaepernick can be had for less than a 2nd. If that is the case we should be all over this.

"The 49ers would attempt to trade Kaepernick before releasing him anyway. Kaepernick is having his worst NFL season since becoming a starter and his failure to make significant strides as a pocket passer would impact the type of compensation the 49ers could get for him in a trade. It's hard to imagine the 49ers receiving a draft choice comparable to the second-round pick (36th overall) used to select him even though he still has upside as a quarterback."

http://www.hngn.com/articles/52673/20141212/nfl-rumors-san-francisco-49ers-moving-on-from-colin-kaepernick.htm

Kapernick's contract is pretty team friendly -- particularly when you remove the signing bonus and the $2 million in base each year...

http://deadspin.com/colin-kaepernicks-126-million-contract-is-remarkably-1586520353

if we can do this we should

3 problems with this:

1) He wears Dolphin hats

2) He's overpaid

3) He sucks

yea one bad year, bust!

It's not the 2nd that's the problem it's his ridiculous contract. Seattle and SF showed the way to win with an overloaded D and and unorthodox cheap QB. Unfortunately everything breaks down when the unorthodox QB is priced like an elite franchise player.

Kaepernick is not expensive at all. His contract is heavily incentive based and there is very little guaranteed money. If a team decides to cut him they pretty much owe him nothing. His contract is huge if he plays awesome and were to be on the 49ers throughout the life of it, winning superbowls and making probowls but if he struggles it is a mediocre deal.

Its a very team friendly contract and not an inhibitor for teams trading for him. Its in the article and links posted here.

This writer thinks that kaepernick can be had for less than a 2nd. If that is the case we should be all over this.

"The 49ers would attempt to trade Kaepernick before releasing him anyway. Kaepernick is having his worst NFL season since becoming a starter and his failure to make significant strides as a pocket passer would impact the type of compensation the 49ers could get for him in a trade. It's hard to imagine the 49ers receiving a draft choice comparable to the second-round pick (36th overall) used to select him even though he still has upside as a quarterback."

http://www.hngn.com/articles/52673/20141212/nfl-rumors-san-francisco-49ers-moving-on-from-colin-kaepernick.htm

I have two questions:

1) what the heck is "headlines and global news"?

2) who the heck is Brandon Katz and what are his credentials as a sports analyst?

I'm gonna take a guess that this is some sort of unpaid gig manned by a college journalism student/football fan in the lines of "Walter Football".

Then I have two more questions:

1) how many teams in the league started QB who put up numbers worse than these during part of the 2014 season?:

3369 yds passing, 60.5% completion, 7 ypa, 19 TD, 10 INT, 639 yds rushing, 6.1 YPA

2) what other QBs does SF have on the roster right now?

I wouldn't give them a second for Kapernick; he had a big set back this year. Defenses have caught up with his limited ability; they are forcing him to stay in the pocket and he can't play from there. It has happened to almost every single mobile QB.

It's not the 2nd that's the problem it's his ridiculous contract. Seattle and SF showed the way to win with an overloaded D and and unorthodox cheap QB. Unfortunately everything breaks down when the unorthodox QB is priced like an elite franchise player.

I'd rather not use up all the cap space on a QB we already know has trouble throwing from the pocket.

What is up with all the man love for Kaepernick?

He's not particularly good.

And the dude is an epic douche bag. I root against SF for the sole reason of him being qb. It would break my heart if the Bills hired that complete bone hole.

I would much rather watch EJ play. At least EJ has some class.

Would kaep even want to play under roman again?

+1

If he were available for a 2, regardless, I'd be all over it. Run heavy and minimize his role, but he's still adequate for playoffs imo.

Going into the draft without a 1, 2, and 4, but the only real hole would be OLine.

Edited by NickelCity

It wasn't Greg Roman who wanted Kaepernick. It was all Harbaugh who told his father after they drafted Kaep that the 49ers just drafted the best player in the entire draft. Probably a big reason as to why Baalke didn't want to give more player control to Harbaugh.

With only 16 mill caps space, Kaepernick, Jerry Hughes, or Darrelle Revis?

Soooo.. What is the 49ers pan if they indeed trade Kaep? Shouldn't they have a viable option before getting rid of the guy who had one good and one below average year? Knowing how difficult it is to even get a half way decent QB, getting rid of even an (average) QB without a replacement makes little sense