Colin Kaepernick might very well be available this offseason

The Big Cat

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaepernick is an immensely more talented qb and better prospect than EJ. EJ is a high character person with an impressive work ethic. He is the type of person everyone roots for. However, I don't believe that his prospects for success are high. I would love to be proven wrong.

I don't know if that's true. It's hard to deny that Kaepernick walked into an ideal situation. If the roles were reversed it wouldn't surprise me to see the results reversed too. And I'm not that high on EJ.

You have to be legit stupid to trade a 2nd round pick for Colin Kaepernick. I'd rather roll with EJ at QB than give up more draft picks for a QB that struggled to throw the ball effectively this past season. Has anyone ever thought that maybe EJ struggled because St. Doug and Nate "Can't" Hack-It made him into a robot? I'd like to think that you can't base a players performance off of 14 games. I'd be okay with EJ stepping in and competing for the position without having to squander a pick that could potentially benefit the teams other needs. I mean really? Colin Kaepernick?

You have to be legit stupid to trade a 2nd round pick for Colin Kaepernick. I'd rather roll with EJ at QB than give up more draft picks for a QB that struggled to throw the ball effectively this past season. Has anyone ever thought that maybe EJ struggled because St. Doug and Nate "Can't" Hack-It made him into a robot? I'd like to think that you can't base a players performance off of 14 games. I'd be okay with EJ stepping in and competing for the position without having to squander a pick that could potentially benefit the teams other needs. I mean really? Colin Kaepernick?

Preach brother.

I'll be honest about this, I live 5 miles from Levi's stadium and see a lot of the 49er's. They have Jack squat for wide receivers. Crabtree is very overrated in the media. Only Boldin would crack our top 3 (and Sammy is an upgraded version of Boldin). They still made it to the NFC title game 3 years in a row with 1 older running back, an ok tight end, Boldin and an average WR (Crabtree). Kaepernick is definitely worth a number 2 pick. It would be THE BEST POSSIBLE OPTION BY FAR for us with respect to aquiring a QB in my opinion.

I watched him regress badly like most everyone last year. He's not the most accurate passer. But some players have bad seasons. And it doesn't negate that lifetime, counting being horrible, he has a 91 rating, 50TD-21INT and solid 7.5 YPA

Crabtree stinks. Boldin is old but decent. Davis is pretty good.

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't trade for him, although I may not mind it. But new developments could possibly make him more available and therefore cheaper.

Gase gets his second interview tonight with the 49ers. They could seal the deal. Manning may prefer going to SF with Gase for a couple years, rather than go with a new coach and the Broncos, who are going to lose a few players. That would make Kaep have to go.

I watched him regress badly like most everyone last year. He's not the most accurate passer. But some players have bad seasons. And it doesn't negate that lifetime, counting being horrible, he has a 91 rating, 50TD-21INT and solid 7.5 YPA

Crabtree stinks. Boldin is old but decent. Davis is pretty good.

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't trade for him, although I may not mind it. But new developments could possibly make him more available and therefore cheaper.

Gase gets his second interview tonight with the 49ers. They could seal the deal. Manning may prefer going to SF with Gase for a couple years, rather than go with a new coach and the Broncos, who are going to lose a few players. That would make Kaep have to go.

Even if you got him for a 3rd, you still absorb that contract. So who do we lose? Hughes, Dareus?

Even if you got him for a 3rd, you still absorb that contract. So who do we lose? Hughes, Dareus?

You only pay that contract year to year I think. We may lose Hughes but we will sign Dareus. We may be able to get both and more. The cap is going up 10m. We could have 35-40 m in space fairly easy.

Having Pegula is going to make the keeping and signing of players much easier. Of course there is a cap. But in ten minutes he could get 10m in cap space, converting Mario or other contracts to bonus money and just paying him cash.

Well, let's see:

Dumber than a chicken - check

Can't hit any side of the barn....from the inside - check

Zero leadership ability - check

Couldn't read a defense if you translated it into hooked on phonics - check

Endorsed by arguably the worst talent evaluator in the entire history of TBD - check

All this for only a second rounder?

Gee, where do I sign up?!

On the other hand...like the Bills are going to do any better with a second-round pick.

Kap was Harbaugh's personal pick. With him gone and Kap struggling this year, there is a chance the Niners look to move him. Dude is still an athletic freak and I think the upside is still there.

Kap's contract is a 15 million dollar cap hit. Not exactly sure I would trade our 2nd round pick and use up a lot of cap space to take on Kap. I would seriously think about trading for him esp if it was our 3rd round pick. Maybe get Mario's deal restructured to add some more cap space. If the team took on cap they probably would only have enough cap space to do much unless they don't resign Hughes.

We're talking about a 2nd rounder for a QB who has big time playoff experience and a ton of raw talent. Get him in a more conservative scheme (ie don't have him throw all the time like the end of last season) and let him move around a bit, and we're a playoff team. You think we could get a more impactful player for a 2nd round pick? Bryce Petty? Would you change your position on the trade if we addressed the OLine in free agency?

You only pay that contract year to year I think. We may lose Hughes but we will sign Dareus. We may be able to get both and more. The cap is going up 10m. We could have 35-40 m in space fairly easy.

Having Pegula is going to make the keeping and signing of players much easier. Of course there is a cap. But in ten minutes he could get 10m in cap space, converting Mario or other contracts to bonus money and just paying him cash.

This is going to be such a luxury.

I'll be honest about this, I live 5 miles from Levi's stadium and see a lot of the 49er's. They have Jack squat for wide receivers. Crabtree is very overrated in the media. Only Boldin would crack our top 3 (and Sammy is an upgraded version of Boldin). They still made it to the NFC title game 3 years in a row with 1 older running back, an ok tight end, Boldin and an average WR (Crabtree). Kaepernick is definitely worth a number 2 pick. It would be THE BEST POSSIBLE OPTION BY FAR for us with respect to aquiring a QB in my opinion.

Agreed. My eyeballs have told me the same thing. They get no separation. Against a team like Seattle it is laughable, Kaepernick has no one to throw to and is running for his life.

Time to play "Guess the QB". Can you name the QB who had remarkably similar passing stats to Kaepernick in 2014?

QB Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds

Kap 289 478 60.5 3369 19 4.0 10 2.1 80 7.0 6.9 11.7 210.6 86.4 55.86 52 344

??? 287 447 64.2 3018 18 4.0 10 2.2 84 6.8 6.6 10.5 251.5 87.8 42.56 33 198

Edited by KD in CT

Time to play "Guess the QB". Can you name the QB who had remarkably similar passing stats to Kaepernick in 2014?

QB Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds

Kap 289 478 60.5 3369 19 4.0 10 2.1 80 7.0 6.9 11.7 210.6 86.4 55.86 52 344

??? 287 447 64.2 3018 18 4.0 10 2.2 84 6.8 6.6 10.5 251.5 87.8 42.56 33 198

Kyle?

That's just like, your opinion, man.

Great Lebowski quote!! Well played!!

Soooo.. What is the 49ers pan if they indeed trade Kaep? Shouldn't they have a viable option before getting rid of the guy who had one good and one below average year? Knowing how difficult it is to even get a half way decent QB, getting rid of even an (average) QB without a replacement makes little sense

True. That is why any trade this off season for QB is most likely not going to happen. Unfortunately that includes Bradford. St. Louis doesn't have a better option either.

He's not dumb. Far from it, actually. He got caught up being a celebrity this season, hopefully he'll realize he's got work to do. I'd love him here.

Football players that are "caught up being a celebrity" are by definition dumb.

Not to mention, very few of them ever decide to stop being caught up in being a celebrity.

We're talking about a 2nd rounder for a QB who has big time playoff experience and a ton of raw talent. Get him in a more conservative scheme (ie don't have him throw all the time like the end of last season) and let him move around a bit, and we're a playoff team. You think we could get a more impactful player for a 2nd round pick? Bryce Petty? Would you change your position on the trade if we addressed the OLine in free agency?

Do bonuses still count against the cap?

CBF