Colin Kaepernick might very well be available this offseason

The Big Cat

Leaving the 49ers with...Blaine Gabbert and an UDFA QB from S. Carolina as the only QBs on the roster?

Maybe we could trade them Jeff Tuel

I think the probabilities of the 49ers trading Kaep are 0.009% unless it's a QB swap a la Bradford for Foles.

This is a very good point. Even with the 49ers in transition mode, this will be a stupid move unless, as you say, it nets them at least a serviceable QB for this season.

it was one bad year with the FO and Harbaugh in a war that affected the whole team, He will bounce back.

Perhaps. But I am not going to recommend that the Bills make that gamble.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we acquire him to get out of it? We trade for him, kick the tires and realize he is not the answer after a year or two in which we continue to neglect the QB position, especially winning just enough games that we can't be high enough to get the right QB and lock our salary up for him and investment to him to avoid trading for another QB???

No way. No one is going to trade for Kaepernick. He is just not that good. He is average, to meddling just below average.

How long ago did you change avatars? I remember the penguin.

Right around when Sammy was drafted. I'm still super high on him, love that kid. =)

I agree with you I don't think we will, but you can probably get him cheap and kick the tires on him for a year or two.

That is the question so to speak. What team really needs him? The Jets? Maybe Chip Kelly would want him in Philly? Houston? That's all the teams I can think of.

Cleveland I think could be the ideal fit. Plenty of cap space, and they don't have their long-term answer at QB on the roster. Why not kick the tires on Kaep? I don't see Houston or the Jets doing it with the cap space they have - similar to us.

I've been wanting the Bills to take Colin since he was QBing the Nevada Wolfpack. He helped beat Boise State on a shoot out back when nobody beat them in a shoot out. 49ers were a tire fire last year. For all the talk of his "bad" year, he still threw 19 TDs vs 10 Ints for 3369 yards and 86.4 rating and ran for 639 yards.

I'd trade them whatever QB of ours they wanted plus next year's 2nd, hell, next year's 1st if that's what it would take.

Edited by reddogblitz

I've been wanting the Bills to take Colin since he was QBing the Nevada Wolfpack. He helped beat Boise State on a shoot out back when nobody beat them in a shoot out. 49ers were a tire fire last year. For all the talk of his "bad" year, he still threw 19 TDs vs 10 Ints for 3369 yards and 86.4 rating.

I'd trade them whatever QB of ours they wanted plus next year's 2nd, hell, next year's 1st if that's what it would take.

Where are you going to free up 11.5 million in cap space for us?

Edited by BlueFire

I don't know. I'm a football fan, not an accounting fan. I'm sure our staff capologist could figure something out if we realy wanted him.

Okay. So you're cool getting Kaepernick no matter the consequences?

I think it would probably be easy to get him under the cap this year if we go to the Bank of Mario and make a couple other tweaks. But that means if Kaep plays well, we won't be able to do things like re-sign Dareus next year and might have trouble with Gilmore.

Personally, I prefer either really proven expensive guys (like a Manning, Brady, Brees, etc) or a cheap QB in the draft who you have the potential to get 4 great years out of and build around. The in-between guys that command a lot of $$$ but are middle of the pack are kind of a bad deal. I put Kaep in that area.

Edited by BlueFire

Considering our QB situation, I'd hope that Buffalo would be trying to acquire him if he were available. Just need a QB to make this team into a real force. His recent issues aside, he would immediately become our starter.

Edit: I'd give up a 3rd or 2nd that can become a first depending on whether Bills make playoffs.

You'd think Roman would know best about Kaep. If the Bills aren't interested, what does that tell you?

Okay. So you're cool getting Kaepernick no matter the consequences?

I think it would probably be easy to get him under the cap this year if we go to the Bank of Mario and make a couple other tweaks. But that means if Kaep plays well, we won't be able to do things like re-sign Dareus next year and might have trouble with Gilmore.

Personally, I prefer either really proven expensive guys (like a Manning, Brady, Brees, etc) or a cheap QB in the draft who you have the potential to get 4 great years out of and build around. The in-between guys that command a lot of $$$ but are middle of the pack are kind of a bad deal. I put Kaep in that area.

QBing your team to 1 NFC Championship game and 1 SB is not proven? In those 2 seasons he threw 40 TDs vs 18 Ints, 6500+ yards passing and ran for 1163 yards. What does a guy have to do?

Screw cheap guys who might be good. The team around the 2015 QB is built. Its time to win.

No matter what you think of Kaep in terms of overall QB rankings, he is better than what we have and what will become available to us over the next few years. He's also proven he can get his team to the Super Bowl.

With that, I would do whatever it takes to get him if he really is available. And yes, I'd give up multiple first round picks. In fact, I'd give up this next years draft and next years 1st and 2nd for him.

Think that's insane? Well how about 20 years of not having a qb? How about making the playoffs this year and going forward? You think those picks of more depth on a quality roster is going to make that change? No, because it hasn't before.

It's a QB league and we are a team that hasn't found one in two decades. I'd sell the farm and look crazy doing it just to know that the QB question is answered for the next decade.

No matter what you think of Kaep in terms of overall QB rankings, he is better than what we have and what will become available to us over the next few years. He's also proven he can get his team to the Super Bowl.

With that, I would do whatever it takes to get him if he really is available. And yes, I'd give up multiple first round picks. In fact, I'd give up this next years draft and next years 1st and 2nd for him.

Think that's insane? Well how about 20 years of not having a qb? How about making the playoffs this year and going forward? You think those picks of more depth on a quality roster is going to make that change? No, because it hasn't before.

It's a QB league and we are a team that hasn't found one in two decades. I'd sell the farm and look crazy doing it just to know that the QB question is answered for the next decade.

Wow. Dial it back, dude.

Where's my pitchfork and torches ?? This guy has them !!

QBing your team to 1 NFC Championship game and 1 SB is not proven? In those 2 seasons he threw 40 TDs vs 18 Ints, 6500+ yards passing and ran for 1163 yards. What does a guy have to do?

Screw cheap guys who might be good. The team around the 2015 QB is built. Its time to win.

I'm not sold yet. He's gotten worse every year he's played. And you can tell the 49ers aren't sold either given his contract.

What I'd be willing to give up has nothing to do with Kaep. It's about the qb position. What would an average qb do for this roster immediately?

So would I give up on 10 players, who aren't on the roster, who only have a 40% chance of making the team and 20% chance of staying on the team for 10 years? Yes, yes I would.

We can't keep playing the qb hunting game. It's been 20 years. So if we did something that extreme to fix that problem finally and basically guarantee us the playoffs for the next few years....I'd be good.

I'd also do this for any mid tier qb. They are that hard to find. At least for us

For Luck, I'd give my next three drafts away. Crazy? I bet the colts would still say no.

Now wait a minute. I read right here for years that Kap was great, and none of our QBs could hold a candle to him. He, RG3 and Wilson were the new instant success QB phenoms that all others were to be judged by. In thread after thread, they were held out to be the gold standard and exemplified how our very own FO sucked.

My biggest worry is Leroi printing this out and taking it to a scouting meeting!

IMO

What I'd be willing to give up has nothing to do with Kaep. It's about the qb position. What would an average qb do for this roster immediately?

So would I give up on 10 players, who aren't on the roster, who only have a 40% chance of making the team and 20% chance of staying on the team for 10 years? Yes, yes I would.

We can't keep playing the qb hunting game. It's been 20 years. So if we did something that extreme to fix that problem finally and basically guarantee us the playoffs for the next few years....I'd be good.

I'd also do this for any mid tier qb. They are that hard to find. At least for us

For Luck, I'd give my next three drafts away. Crazy? I bet the colts would still say no.

When you point to a team that succeeded after making a trade like that, I'll sign off on it.

It amazes me how many times reporters spread rumors based on zero facts, then how much people buy into it...

Teams don't trade away their franchise quarterbacks. Period. It doesn't matter if they are a good player or not, if they have gotten you to the playoffs repeatedly, you don't sell them.

Let's see how many QBs have had trade rumors this off season...off the top of my head - Brees, Cutler, Rivers, even Russel Wilson for over apparent contract disagreement.

Kaep isn't going anywhere

Romo and Rodgers had two and three years respectively to learn the NFL game on the bench before starting. Brees took four years for the light to come on. We get that you don't think it will ever happen for Manuel, but the guys you listed were either never asked to perform before they were ready or the QB was able to perform badly for a couple of years in the starting role until he got it.

Not really fair comparisons considering EJ is going into his third year. If anything, one could argue that Manuel should be given more time because those three QBs took time to develop into the star QBs they became.

Bouncing off of your point, Brees actually was asked to step up before he was fully baked. It resulted in his team going in a different direction and parting with one of the most prolific passers in NFL history.

Let's say you run the Bills and you get 2 choices: you can keep the team we have now with no real QB, or you give the entire team away but get Andrew Luck for the rest of his career, along with "fill in" players to make up the other roster spots now.

You of course can also continue to draft and use free agency and any other traditional means to improve the roster as time goes forward, with either choice.

Which do you take?

Let's say you run the Bills and you get 2 choices: you can keep the team we have now with no real QB, or you give the entire team away but get Andrew Luck for the rest of his career, along with "fill in" players to make up the other roster spots now.

You of course can also continue to draft and use free agency and any other traditional means to improve the roster as time goes forward, with either choice.

Which do you take?

I'd like to see how our team performs as currently constructed before I answer this question.

What makes you think that?

Source deep within -ha

Let's just say Ck is limited, inconsistent, increasingly reluctant to accept critical coaching, and was enabled by JH - and it made effective schemes/game planning difficult.

Ck is/was still a "project" as a starting NFL Qb - but he doesn't see himself that way.

Source deep within -ha

Let's just say Ck is limited, inconsistent, increasingly reluctant to accept critical coaching, and was enabled by JH - and it made effective schemes/game planning difficult.

Ck is/was still a "project" as a starting NFL Qb - but he doesn't see himself that way.

Projects that help their team make the SB / conference finals are fairly advanced projects.

And thanks for that Yolo.

I'm not as worried about our QB position as many here it seems.

And a long way to go. Things can happen.

i agree with everyone who says CK is a better QB than anyone we have, but there are some issues that, I believe, if GR was part of the decision making process on a potential trade, that he would be a dissenter. CK has a lot of talent but still far from the stable leader teams prefer to have running the show.

Who in the hell is their QB in waiting that makes Kaep expendable? Blaine Gabbert? Or are the just in tank mode? Weird.

I'd give up a conditional 5th that could become a 4th for him.

I would give the 49ers every one of our draft picks next year for Kaep. Yeah Yeah I know he struggled last year. I got the sense that organization had a bunch of problems going on right from the top with the power struggle between coach & GM. Kaep is a special talent. Need to alter the offense for him but you put him on this team & we are the super bowl favorite going into September.

Edited by Gordio

I would give the 49ers every one of our draft picks next year for Kaep. Yeah Yeah I know he struggled last year. I got the sense that organization had a bunch of problems going on right from the top with the power struggle between coach & GM. Kaep is a special talent. Need to alter the offense for him but you put him on this team & we are the super bowl favorite going into September.

They struggled mightily in large part due to Kaepernick's regression, the other organizational dysfunction notwithstanding. As is the case with most young QBs, defenses figured him out and made it a point to force him to beat them from the pocket. He's just not a polished pocket passer at this point. And he'll have to be if, like all good QBs, he wants a long career as a starter.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Personally, I'd rather go with Manuel than Kaepernick, and I'm not that optimistic about EJ. I think Keep probably gives you a little more right out the gate, but I see him as a RB with a killer fastball more than a QB with wheels. EJ at least has more than one pitch.

Personally, I'd rather go with Manuel than Kaepernick, and I'm not that optimistic about EJ. I think Keep probably gives you a little more right out the gate, but I see him as a RB with a killer fastball more than a QB with wheels. EJ at least has more than one pitch.

The only problem is that it's this one.

FiftyCentFirstPitchFail.gif

Edited by FireChan

There are too many people on here who believe that get a Quarterback who has been to the play-offs and gone deep in the play-offs before and it is the answer to getting this team into the play-offs for evermore. It isn't. If the guy you are talking about is Brady, or Manning, or Rodgers or maybe even Brees then maybe but it isn't. Let's look at some established veteran guys who it could be argued are in the "second tier" of NFL Quarterbacks....

Big Ben has been to play offs once in 3 years and hasn't won a play-off game since the 2010 AFC Championship.

Rivers has been to the play-offs once in 5 years.

Romo has been once in 5 years too.

Eli Manning has been to the post-season once in 6 years (and won the whole show on that occasion).

None of those guys are a guarantee and do you know why they are not - because they play on big money deals that make keeping the rest of the roster strong difficult.

Now let's apply the logic to Kap. He went to the play-offs 3 times in the first three years he started (his 2nd, 3rd and 4th year) on a cheap deal and a pretty loaded team. He got his big deal the team lost some depth, especially in the defensive backfield and had some other issues and he didn't make it to the play-offs last year. Saying "oh but he had great stats in that time" is irrelevant. Jake Delhomme had pretty good stats his first years in Carolina - he took them to the play-offs twice in that period including a Superbowl loss and had good stats in the play-offs. He was not the long term answer in Carolina and he wasn't the saviour in Cleveland either.

So to me the money you are paying Kap ($19million a year) makes it difficult to keep the rest of your roster as stacked and only the true greats cover over those cracks year in and year out - even the Hall of Very Good players such as those named above are not able to do it every year and I don't think Kap is in that company.

Edited by GunnerBill