Potential veteran QBs available next year

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Jake locker sticks in Tennessee. He's a possibility if he isn't re-signed there, but he might be a tough sell due to his injury history. If EJ fails in part due to injuries, would the FO bet on another guy with similar history? This scenario was the big risk in trading up for Watkins (obviously). This FO is all-in on EJ. If he flops, then the high first round pick that could have been used to acquire a highly rated QB prospect goes to Cleveland. I'm a Browns fan who moved to Buffalo and has adopted the Bills as my second team so I'm torn there. Honestly I'd rather the Bills earn the 1st or 32nd pick this season (but I think neither is very likely). The most interesting part of the trade to me was how two GMs in very different positions handled their business. One looking long-term and the other feeling like they were under the gun to make something happen this season.

You are a Bills fan AND a Browns fan? There is a special place in heaven for you, my friend.

Tuel time

I sometimes feel I'm the only long-time poster who loves Tuel.

Tuel is a gamer He is all about giving players a chance to make plays. He is all about THROWING THE BALL instead of waiting for receivers to be obviously open. Once he gets a grasp (graps?) of the offense (offence?) I really like him. He reminds me of Glennon, or nick Foles.

In the way-olden-days, the early 90s (which I remember since I was college age. Used to be a hot pretzel vendor at the Ralph during the glory years, walking the stands with my pretzels and mustard. See the game for free AND make money!! Only in America) the addage said "when you throw the ball, 3 things can happen, and 2 of them are bad." But nowadays, 2 of them are good, with the rules and the reffing favoring offense (unless you are playing against Seattle). Throw. The. Fuccing. Ball.

If EJ keeps acting like Trent-ative, he needs to step out of the way

Edited by maddenboy

Assuming EJ fails this season and the fact that we don't have a first round pick to use on a QB next season, we may have to settle for a capable veteran for a bit.

There are two guys that I think have a good possibilty of not being retained by their teams next year. One of them is Andy Dalton who I think is got one last shot to take it to the next level otherwise he is gone and Sam Bradford who I think is a QB with talent but has never had any good receivers, a really crappy offensive line and a history of injuries keeping him from being successful. These are guys that we may be able to get our hands on next season for realtively cheap contracts if neither one pans out this year. Alex Smith could possibly be another option but one of these 3 guys would be the ones to go after.

My question is which one of these guys would everyone want to take a shot on if EJ doesn't work out?

These are the only QB's worth mentioning because all the other FA QB's next year are awful

First, let me clarify my stance. I am in the camp that I think EJ will SUCCEED and I actually feel pretty strong about it. I have been screaming for a QB since JP Losman...I didn't like him (or the pick), I didn't like Trent, and I didn't like Fitz. None of them ever showed me the potential to lead a team and have consistence success...ever. EJ though I saw something different...I saw an on field general, a leader, poise, and a guy who has all the tools to be a big success both physically and in how he prepares. I really like this kid, first time I have said that about a Bills QB in who knows how long.

However, your question is about the scenario in which I am wrong and EJ fails, which despite my belief in him is obviously a real possibility still. So my immediate question is this:

WHY DOES EVERYONE ACT LIKE WE CANT GET A QB IN THE 2ND ROUND?

Everyone has thrown in the towel on any chance on finding a QB in the 2nd round next year. Drew Brees = 2nd Round. Dalton = 2nd Rond. Russel Wilson = 3rd Round.

I mean its pretty irresponsible for fans, media, etc to keep screaming we mortgaged the future because we don't have a first round pick next year.

How many teams waited on QB's the last 2 years until the second round or later...teams that needed QB's? Answer = Most.

So to assume we are doomed and our only option is to find some retread vet next year is crazy. Not to mention, there are plenty of young upside QB's around the league that can be had for cheap that were high prospects coming out stuck behind entrenched starters. Mallet for instance is a FA next year. The only reason he wasn't a top 10 pick was because of off field concerns. Now he's only sat and learned behind one of the best, been a model citizen, and coached by the best. He would be a very intriguing prospect looking to start immediately, plus he would get to play the Pats twice. This is just one example, and he would cost us no picks.

Point is, there are plenty of options still to find a QB outside of just a first round pick. And we could always trade up into the first for a QB if we really wanted one that was there. So the doom and gloom scenario of what if EJ fails is so over exaggerated and not nearly as bad as portrayed. In the end we got an ELITE talent in Watkins for whoever is the QB next year and the biggest OL in football to protect him. Thats what you need for any QB to succeed, to any new QB would have the table set for him.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I think unless EJ absolutely looks terrible, no hope whatsoever, likely they'd blame it on coaching, fire the coaches and bring in a new OC and QB coach. I'm being serious here too, unlikely you'd give up on a 1st round pick after just two years. Likely they try a different approach and style of coaching.

i'm rooting for him to fail and fail badly. then i will come back on this board and proudly proclaim "i told you so!", because that's really all i care about -- being right on the internet. it will be a grand moment and you will all be embarrassed and ashamed by your lack of football knowledge.

also, the bills will go 18-34 in the year 2057 (the season will be year round by then). you heard it here first.

That was funny. How large is the roster? 150 players? 3 starting QB's?

The funny thing is the NFL would be a 100 Zillion dollar business and Goodell would still be looking for different ways to grow revenue.

It might be a good idea to give a QB the benefit of the doubt until they have a few seasons under their belt. I know trying to get some people to understand QB development is like slamming your head against the wall, but I find it so silly that people are already planning for EJ's demise and he hasn't even played 16 games yet. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people?

You might wanna keep that to yourself.

What if we assume he gets mauled by a mutant horned owl during the last preseason game? Then what do we do?

Then? We assume that He Who Must Not Be Named is back.

The return of Skeletor.

This thread has been made and discussed at least three times now. Can we just stop assuming that EJ will fail? I used to. It got boring. Might as well hope and wait.

Almost no one has said they think or assume he will fail. As the OP I asked what is the plan if he does. The theme is about looking ahead at our options just in case. And why wouldn't it be prudent to consider options for a 2nd year player who the jury is still very much out on, during a time when we have invested heavily in all kinds of weapons on offense? The best franchises plan for succession with hall of famers ... Montana to young, favre to rodgers, Brady to garropolo etc ... but we're not supposed to consider a true starter alternative for EJ Manuel?

Almost no one has said they think or assume he will fail. As the OP I asked what is the plan if he does. The theme is about looking ahead at our options just in case. And why wouldn't it be prudent to consider options for a 2nd year player who the jury is still very much out on, during a time when we have invested heavily in all kinds of weapons on offense? The best franchises plan for succession with hall of famers ... Montana to young, favre to rodgers, Brady to garropolo etc ... but we're not supposed to consider a true starter alternative for EJ Manuel?

At least one other thread has been merged with this one. The most recent started with "Assuming EJ fails" & it was this that SBU was replying to.

Tuel is a gamer He is all about giving players a chance to make plays. He is all about THROWING THE BALL instead of waiting for receivers to be obviously open. Once he gets a grasp (graps?) of the offense (offence?) I really like him. He reminds me of Glennon, or nick Foles.

In the way-olden-days, the early 90s (which I remember since I was college age. Used to be a hot pretzel vendor at the Ralph during the glory years, walking the stands with my pretzels and mustard. See the game for free AND make money!! Only in America) the addage said "when you throw the ball, 3 things can happen, and 2 of them are bad." But nowadays, 2 of them are good, with the rules and the reffing favoring offense (unless you are playing against Seattle). Throw. The. Fuccing. Ball.

If EJ keeps acting like Trent-ative, he needs to step out of the way

I actually really like Tuel too.

He obviously made some mistakes, but he showed a lot of potential. The guy is not afraid to throw the ball downfield.

I find it ironic that some people label EJ as an injury prone bust and the extol the virtues of Smith, Bradford and Stafford. Wasn't Smith considered a bust after four years? Isn't Bradford considered a bust by many? Wasn't Stafford injured a lot?

I mean its pretty irresponsible for fans, media, etc to keep screaming we mortgaged the future because we don't have a first round pick next year.

Mallet for instance is a FA next year. The only reason he wasn't a top 10 pick was because of off field concerns. Now he's only sat and learned behind one of the best, been a model citizen, and coached by the best. He would be a very intriguing prospect looking to start immediately, plus he would get to play the Pats twice. This is just one example, and he would cost us no picks.

I disagree with the first sentence. It's not unreasonable for fans to question trading away a first round pick (which could possibly be a top 5) for a wideout, in a draft that was absolutely STACKED at this position.

Now, maybe Watkins will win us a bunch of games and we will make the playoffs. And maybe he will be TWICE as good as an other receiver that they could have taken at 9, or even traded down for and got extra picks. This is possible, but so is the worst case scenario.

I do really like your comments wrt Mallett. He has no body of work to examine, but what we do know is that he has all the talent in the world. I hope he is a free agent in 2015 just in case Manuel busts out, and this is NOT to say that he will.

I am only saying that stranger things have happened.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I find it ironic that some people label EJ as an injury prone bust and the extol the virtues of Smith, Bradford and Stafford. Wasn't Smith considered a bust after four years? Isn't Bradford considered a bust by many? Wasn't Stafford injured a lot?

Smith should have been brought in last off season if the Bills' plan was to sit EJ and let him watch for a season or two. Bringing in Kolb was an extremely flawed plan based on his past performance and injury history.

I have no confidence in Bradford or Stafford.

Smith should have been brought in last off season if the Bills' plan was to sit EJ and let him watch for a season or two. Bringing in Kolb was an extremely flawed plan based on his past performance and injury history.

I have no confidence in Bradford or Stafford.

Smith wasn't coming to the Bills last year. Not after they drafted EJ.

No, it was 2013 second and what became 2014 second, seems a little steep. You can't give that up and the draft a QB in the first.

But, it's perfectly fine to use 2 #1 picks and a 4 on a WR in consecutive years? (after 2 draft picks the year prior)

Let's review that list:

1) Brady is never playing for the Bills. If he left NE, they would let him choose, he is not choosing Buffalo.

2) Eli Manning, he refused to play in San Diego, you think he's going to play in Buffalo.

3) Bradford? We have people calling EJ a bust, Bradford has had four years.

4) Dalton isn't going anywhere.

5).KC gave up two 2nd rounders, Smith stays.

6) Stafford has been injured more than EJ and he is not going anywhere.

7), 8), 9), and 10) Does anybody really want any of these guys other than as a backup?

But, it's perfectly fine to use 2 #1 picks and a 4 on a WR in consecutive years? (after 2 draft picks the year prior)

That could turn out to be steep also.

There is only one QB on the field at a time. There are usually three or four WRs.

I do really like your comments wrt Mallett. He has no body of work to examine, but what we do know is that he has all the talent in the world. I hope he is a free agent in 2015 just in case Manuel busts out, and this is NOT to say that he will.

I am only saying that stranger things have happened.

Mallet has always been a tantalizing prospect, but don't you wonder why, if he's so promising, the Pats invested a second round pick on Garropolo? Is that just because they figure Mallet would leave after this year?

Beerball...not you too!

Mallet has always been a tantalizing prospect, but don't you wonder why, if he's so promising, the Pats invested a second round pick on Garropolo? Is that just because they figure Mallet would leave after this year?

I have to believe, if the Pats thought Mallet was a legit predecessor for Brady, they would never let him go.

Read earlier today, Ryan Nassib could very well be cut this summer... this will come as a releif to all the Manuel haters who wanted the Bills to draft Nassib! :rolleyes:

That could turn out to be steep also.

There is only one QB on the field at a time. There are usually three or four WRs.

QB is the most important position on the field and the team went cheap last season and this. It had a direct negative effect on last season's record. Let's hope that isn't the case in 2014 and forward.

In Mallets rookie season during the first preseason game (i think), he started the second half. And, had 5 consecutive TD drives an NFL record I believe. Pre season or not that's isn't shabby.

Mallet probably wants a shot somewhere else after his rookie contract plays out. He won't get it unless Brady breaks his neck this year.

Maybe the thought the QBs in this draft weren't that good. most of the NFL agreed with this not being a great group by where they were drafted.

part of the reasoning i bet.

I try to be as open mined as possible but I admit seeing that makes me a little uncomfortable. But that is my problem, not his. Most of us have no problem watching a couple, or even two women kiss. Two dudes should be no different.

its the kissing i find offensive not the people. But i am a prude of sorts .

Assuming EJ fails this season and the fact that we don't have a first round pick to use on a QB next season, we may have to settle for a capable veteran for a bit.

There are two guys that I think have a good possibilty of not being retained by their teams next year. One of them is Andy Dalton who I think is got one last shot to take it to the next level otherwise he is gone and Sam Bradford who I think is a QB with talent but has never had any good receivers, a really crappy offensive line and a history of injuries keeping him from being successful. These are guys that we may be able to get our hands on next season for realtively cheap contracts if neither one pans out this year. Alex Smith could possibly be another option but one of these 3 guys would be the ones to go after.

My question is which one of these guys would everyone want to take a shot on if EJ doesn't work out?

These are the only QB's worth mentioning because all the other FA QB's next year are awful

Yep we are kinda screwed there. We might have to sell the farm to get back into the first round next year if EJ stinks it up or gets injured again. :cry:

But i too am a Billiever in EJ and Coach to get on track

Edited by 3rdand12

Isn't it a bit early for this kind of thread??? EJ has played 10 games in the NFL and so many want to give up on him already. He may not be Peyton Manning but he's certainly not Jamarcus Russell. It's possible he could develop into a Big Ben type player and I'd be happy with that. Why talk about signing some other team's castoff at this point? If EJ totally sucks it up, shows no sign of improvement and we're out of it by Halloween, then I could understand but sheesh. :wallbash:

Couldn't agree more. In the past there was an understood grooming period for qb's taken in the draft. Not like that today. EJ plays 10 games and people already want him kicked to the curb. Shows you how much the NFL has changed.

To me Schaub and Stafford are the most outstanding options of that list; also the list forgot Jake Locker who might be on his way out of Tenessee (allthough that could allready happen this year).